• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump threatens to retaliate on Syria for chemical weapons attack

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ria-for-chemical-weapons-attack-idUSKBN1HF0JX

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday said Syrian President Bashar al-Assad will have a “big price to pay” for launching a deadly chemical weapons attack on civilians, and blamed Iran and Russian President Vladimir Putin for backing “animal Assad.”

“Many dead, including women and children, in mindless CHEMICAL attack in Syria. Area of atrocity is in lockdown and encircled by Syrian Army, making it completely inaccessible to outside world,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “President Putin, Russia and Iran are responsible for backing Animal Assad. Big price to pay,” he wrote.
===========================================
Trump's last attack on Syria with Tomahawk cruise missiles put a single air strip out of service for a week. I don't think that made much of an impression on Assad.

What needs to be done is to destroy the aircraft he uses to deliver these chemical weapons.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ria-for-chemical-weapons-attack-idUSKBN1HF0JX

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday said Syrian President Bashar al-Assad will have a “big price to pay” for launching a deadly chemical weapons attack on civilians, and blamed Iran and Russian President Vladimir Putin for backing “animal Assad.”

“Many dead, including women and children, in mindless CHEMICAL attack in Syria. Area of atrocity is in lockdown and encircled by Syrian Army, making it completely inaccessible to outside world,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “President Putin, Russia and Iran are responsible for backing Animal Assad. Big price to pay,” he wrote.
Trump's last attack on Syria with Tomahawk cruise missiles put a single air strip out of service for a week. I don't think that made much of an impression on Assad.

What needs to be done is to destroy the aircraft he uses to deliver these chemical weapons.

See https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/syria/airforce-equipment.htm for a list of Syrian air force assets.

Hasn't he been telling people the US is leaving?

Hasn't he been telling people the US is leaving?

I hope he eventually gets it straight. What happened to all those generals he surrounded himself with last year? Oh yeah - they all left for one reason or another. And he won't listen to Kelly any more. Trump is now winging it based on his gut instincts & the mess he is creating shows it.

We have aircraft carrier strike groups in the Med. A pre-dawn strike by carrier jets could knock out his air force while they are still in bed.

I guess we can expect another missile strike at an abandoned Syrian base and Trump raising his arms in victory afterwards.

I guess we can expect another missile strike at an abandoned Syrian base and Trump raising his arms in victory afterwards.

Just like sitting at a bar with an empty beer glass & telling the barkeep 'Again.'

I hope he eventually gets it straight. What happened to all those generals he surrounded himself with last year? Oh yeah - they all left for one reason or another. And he won't listen to Kelly any more. Trump is now winging it based on his gut instincts & the mess he is creating shows it.

We have aircraft carrier strike groups in the Med. A pre-dawn strike by carrier jets could knock out his air force while they are still in bed.

And, from where I sit, and from what I have heard, he wants to be the first to fire a nuke.

And yes, I do think there are enough stupid Americans for that to happen

Assad's already seized the opportunity to gas more people (as reported on several channels of yesterday's news).

And, from where I sit, and from what I have heard, he wants to be the first to fire a nuke.

Yup. I heard that when he was being briefed on our nuke capabilities he was enthralled. Now he wants 'little' nukes that I'm afraid he will not be afraid to use.

Mattis is still there. Hopefully Trump will simply do what you liberals want him to do and declare war on Russia and Syria and put together a massive invasion force.

Mattis is still there. Hopefully Trump will simply do what you liberals want him to do and declare war on Russia and Syria and put together a massive invasion force.

Today's progressives have become the war mongering neocons.

I've not read that. Your source please.

Whether this is true or not, they wouldn't get much say.

A president, they said, does not have authority to launch nuclear weapons without congressional approval unless the United States is already under attack or quite certainly about to be. “To be sure, the President possesses the constitutional authority to defend the country against sudden attack, or to pre-empt an imminent attack,” said Brian McKeon, an acting undersecretary of defense for policy during the Obama administration. “But Article II does not give him carte blanche to take the country to war.”

https://www.publicintegrity.org/201...gle-handedly-order-nuclear-attack-north-korea

He could turn all of Damascus into a smoldering crater. Would that make you happy?

Hey, I'm, according to you a "war mongering neocon", why would you ask me anything?

What I know is that the American right never changes, is still the name-calling attack dog.

Have a nice life, we will not interact again.

"war mongering neocons."

You're a self-described Independent, not a progressive.
Want to try reading what I actually wrote?

Btw, who were you calling stupid again?

How should we do that? What authority do we have for getting involved in a Syrian civil war? Do you want us to establish a no fly zone? Bomb their bases? Thats a defacto declaration of war. What happens when Syria, working with Russia, starts actively attacking our citizens in Syria, the region and around the world?

Today's progressives have become the war mongering neocons.

So you think war mongering neocon Bolton is a progressive? He's joined to Don at the hip in the OO.

He could turn all of Damascus into a smoldering crater. Would that make you happy?

No, but if Trump pulls out of Syria like he said awhile ago, it would make me very happy.

So you think war mongering neocon Bolton is a progressive? He's joined to Don at the hip in the OO.

Bolton is NO progressive.

I find myself wondering if Syria/Assad has ever actually used chemical weapons.
And if he hasn't, who has.

I find myself wondering if I'm buying into what may be conspiracy theories, based on half-remembered video discussions and articles.

But why the hell would Assad use chemical weapons right when Trump was talking about pulling the US out of Syria?

Obviously, the 59 Tomahawks didn't impress Assad very much. Why should they when Donnie gave everyone 90 minutes advance notice.

He'll do the exact same thing this time. Warn the Russians who in turn will warn Assad. Yep. This is the same Trump who swore never to "telegraph" military actions.

Window dressing and puffery.

Typical progressive response, blame the aircraft. What needs to be destroyed is the person making the decision to pull the trigger.

Why so russia can see it as an act of war and not only send him replacement aircraft but also be at war with the only country on earth capable of defeating the united states? It sounds too many people thumping their chests with giant balls and no brains if they could not think this situation through.

Obviously, the 59 Tomahawks didn't impress Assad very much. Why should they when Donnie gave everyone 90 minutes advance notice.

He'll do the exact same thing this time. Warn the Russians who in turn will warn Assad. Yep. This is the same Trump who swore never to "telegraph" military actions.

Window dressing and puffery.

It's called "Deconfliction" agreement, you know to protect the Russian soldiers in the area.

If I may be a bit Pedantic, it wasn't everyone and it wasn't 90 minutes it was the Russians and it was 60 minutes... :2wave:

Back
Top Bottom