• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Supporters No Longer Deserve Benefit of the Doubt

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
It's been a year since Trump is in office and in the words of my co-worker, it's clear that Trump supporters like Trump because of one thing and one thing only. He's a trollish A**hole. The us vs them mentality is also a huge factor at play. Irregardless of the position Nuclear War, Pedophilia, Corruption, Childish Behavior, as long as they can spin it to Trump is winning or the Right is winning that works for them. Principles and common decency be damned. The rest of it is fueled by hatred, lying, racism, homophobia, and antisemitism. This has been well documented and those of us know which version of reality is true. There are one or two Trump supporters here that swing from tepid Trump support to actually questioning him, but the rest (and there probably isn't many left) they follow him hook, line, and sinker.

Just because trump nominates people he (and they) likes to higher office, does not make everything else he does automatically OK and a lot of the people he has put into higher office are worse corruption-wise than even Obama people. So I do want to take a moment to thank President Trump for one thing, and that's bringing out all the dirty laundry and hate filled beliefs that people have into the limelight. Hopefully we will all learn from this mistake.

I dont bother with lost causes, thus most Adorables get hit with the ignore button.

Hey at least you called them adorable. I'm sure they appreciate that.

I cant take credit for that, I had seen it on another forum. As they adore Trump so much, its appropriate.

I dont bother with lost causes, thus most Adorables get hit with the ignore button.

I like that phrase "Adorables" and your explanation of it. Fits perfectly.

It's been a year since Trump is in office and in the words of my co-worker, it's clear that Trump supporters like Trump because of one thing and one thing only. He's a trollish A**hole. The us vs them mentality is also a huge factor at play. Irregardless of the position Nuclear War, Pedophilia, Corruption, Childish Behavior, as long as they can spin it to Trump is winning or the Right is winning that works for them. Principles and common decency be damned. The rest of it is fueled by hatred, lying, racism, homophobia, and antisemitism. This has been well documented and those of us know which version of reality is true. There are one or two Trump supporters here that swing from tepid Trump support to actually questioning him, but the rest (and there probably isn't many left) they follow him hook, line, and sinker.

Just because trump nominates people he (and they) likes to higher office, does not make everything else he does automatically OK and a lot of the people he has put into higher office are worse corruption-wise than even Obama people. So I do want to take a moment to thank President Trump for one thing, and that's bringing out all the dirty laundry and hate filled beliefs that people have into the limelight. Hopefully we will all learn from this mistake.

Irregardless is not a word.

Irregardless is not a word.

Strong the butt hurt is on this thread, Yoda

Lost the election, still angry they are, Jedi Maggie

There's way more things you should be worried about than the controversial history of a word.

That's true.

I, for one, worry about people who say Trump supporters shouldn't "get the benefit of the doubt" because they have an "us v. them mentality". The irony in such statements is damned near painful.

Assuming the two man-boys playing chicken with nuclear weapons can keep themselves in check for a few more years, the 2018 and 2020 elections will be very interesting to watch unfold.
How the majority of the public really feels should be very telling. One way or the other.

It goes like this:

Lie, make up ****, attack, scare, divide, fumble, insult, etc. When anyone condemns you for these eplorable and incompetent behaviors, simply point out that they are attacking someone too, which makes them just as "deplorable", and a hypocrite to boot.

Profit! (in their mind they are winning).

Trump supporters are not as mean-spirited, bigoted, and dull-witted as it might appear. At this point, no intelligent person takes Trump at face value. Rather, they see Trump's behavior as a persona, an act crafted to gain rhetorical advantage in an environment where he could never succeed with a more traditional approach. And the "bull-in-the-china-shop" bravado appeals to them on a guttural level, because they see those institutions he's disrespecting as corrupted and unworthy, so they don't mind when he stomps in and starts breaking the dishes. In fact, they more likely see it as a necessary form of creative destruction.

In that sense, he's not really that far removed from mainstream politicians. Those of us who voted for Hillary know that she is famously fake and sycophantic. And all of us who supported Obama should be well aware that his persona and his actual actions as commander-in-chief were not always congruent. We should be self-aware enough to realize that his rhetoric was often divorced from his intentions (his drone policies are a good example), and that just because his eloquent speech patterns followed standard rules of decorum, that doesn't mean he wasn't capable of dishonesty or hypocrisy. Do you remember Obama's televised Obamacare appeal, where he offered to take input from ranking Republicans one after another (and they all basically said "stuff it?"). That was pure political theater, as the reconciliation process they used meant any changes offered by the GOP were DOA anyway. It may be a more elegant form of underhanded manipulation than Trump's tweets, but it is still underhanded.

I think his followers see Trump as strong and charismatic, and unlike Obama, he isn't falsely principled. He's just openly unprincipled. He, like other politicians, has a carefully crafted public personal, but it's so obviously false that it almost seems more genuine -- like the WWE, he delivers his fakery with bluster and a wink. They know he's a troll -- we all know he's a troll. But he's their troll.

I'm not trying to discount the conservative propaganda bubble, which is frighteningly real. Nor do I excuse Trump for his complete lack of coherent policy and dangerously cavalier attitude toward facts. But it's a mistake to discount his followers as morons. They're not.

what kind of idiot racks the slide of a pistol with his finger on the trigger? :mrgreen:

/raises hand embarrassingly

Did it once when I was very young and my uncle elbowed me upside the head and yelled "Stupid, give me that you're not ready" :lamo

To this day I can't pick up a pistol without remembering that lesson lol.

There's way more things you should be worried about than the controversial history of a word.

One of which is the absolute hatred generated by one party's badly flawed candidate losing an election.

Then this should make you happy:
https://www.economist.com/news/unit.../neu/Daily_Dispatch/email&etear=dailydispatch

Trump supporters are not as mean-spirited, bigoted, and dull-witted as it might appear. At this point, no intelligent person takes Trump at face value. Rather, they see Trump's behavior as a persona, an act crafted to gain rhetorical advantage in an environment where he could never succeed with a more traditional approach. And the "bull-in-the-china-shop" bravado appeals to them on a guttural level, because they see those institutions he's disrespecting as corrupted and unworthy, so they don't mind when he stomps in and starts breaking the dishes. In fact, they more likely see it as a necessary form of creative destruction.

In that sense, he's not really that far removed from mainstream politicians. Those of us who voted for Hillary know that she is famously fake and sycophantic. And all of us who supported Obama should be well aware that his persona and his actual actions as commander-in-chief were not always congruent. We should be self-aware enough to realize that his rhetoric was often divorced from his intentions (his drone policies are a good example), and that just because his eloquent speech patterns followed standard rules of decorum, that doesn't mean he wasn't capable of dishonesty or hypocrisy. Do you remember Obama's televised Obamacare appeal, where he offered to take input from ranking Republicans one after another (and they all basically said "stuff it?"). That was pure political theater, as the reconciliation process they used meant any changes offered by the GOP were DOA anyway. It may be a more elegant form of underhanded manipulation than Trump's tweets, but it is still underhanded.

I think his followers see Trump as strong and charismatic, and unlike Obama, he isn't falsely principled. He's just openly unprincipled. He, like other politicians, has a carefully crafted public personal, but it's so obviously false that it almost seems more genuine -- like the WWE, he delivers his fakery with bluster and a wink. They know he's a troll -- we all know he's a troll. But he's their troll.

I'm not trying to discount the conservative propaganda bubble, which is frighteningly real. Nor do I excuse Trump for his complete lack of coherent policy and dangerously cavalier attitude toward facts. But it's a mistake to discount his followers as morons. They're not.

Exactly my sentiments, and my belief, Well put.

Back
Top Bottom