• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump slams Dems after viral photo of children in cages, from Obama's term, 'backfires'

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
President Trump on Tuesday slammed Democrats who shared pictures of child migrants sleeping in cages to knock his immigration policies, only to backtrack after realizing the photos were taken during the Obama administration.

Trump opponents who shared the photo included activists, journalists and former Obama speechwriter Jon Favreau, who said: “This is happening right now, and the only debate that matters is how we force our government to get these kids back to their families as fast as humanly possible.”

Trump slams Dems after viral photo of children in cages, from Obama's term, 'backfires' | Fox News

My question is... why didn’t Democrats come out during Obama’s years to “protect the children?”

Nah, the real question is why did they stop talking now that they figured out it was from pre-2017? Multiple pictures, stories, etc and now they are silent.

My question is... why didn’t Democrats come out during Obama’s years to “protect the children?”

Because Obama wasn't of a mind to implement policies having the potential to separate the kids from their parents.

Obama's Admin. upped the quantity of deportations, but did so without express disregard for whether families got separated in the process. Trump's Admin. has expressed the stance of "parents could be separated from their kids, and that's just tough," as it were.

If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law. If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border.
-- Jeff Sessions

That remark, while informative to prospective illegal crossers and/or visa overstayers, is of no use to families who arrived in the U.S. prior to his making the pronouncement.

FWIW, I don't know what federal law(s) requires that children be separated from their parents.

Last edited:

So your assertion is that Obama was already making America great before Trump?

The Obama administration was better at hiding it. Trump has accelerated the issue and brought it to the public's eye more strongly.

ICE has been run by horrible monsters for a long time. I'm glad you're finally on our side.

The Obama administration was better at hiding it. Trump has accelerated the issue and brought it to the public's eye more strongly.

ICE has been run by horrible monsters for a long time. I'm glad you're finally on our side.

The article was written in 2014, so it wasn't hidden.

Irrespective of scoring political points, are you supporting these actions here?

Donald Trump retweets far-right group's anti-Muslim videos - BBC News

Donald Trump retweets far-right group's anti-Muslim videos

The first tweet from Jayda Fransen, the deputy leader of Britain First, claims to show a Muslim migrant attacking a man on crutches.

This was followed by two more videos of people Ms Fransen claims to be Muslim.

Responding to Mr Trump's posts, UK Prime Minister Theresa May's official spokesman said it was "wrong for the president to have done this".

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said Mrs May and other world leaders knew that "these are real threats that we have to talk about".

"Whether it's a real video, the threat is real," she said.

Trump retweeted fake, anti-Muslim videos, did he then "slam" himself?

Why hasn't trump built his wall yet? When you can answer that, you'll be a little closer to having the answer to your question.

I think all we have really exposed here is how uninformed this nation has become, relying on Facebook and other social media distributed pictures and memes to think something is happening. Or worse, become outraged based on who is in charge now.

But this mess on dealing with immigrants, processing, those already here, etc. is only going to get worse until something gives on both legislation and the basic economics of why so many risk so much to get here in the first place.

Nah, the real question is why did they stop talking now that they figured out it was from pre-2017? Multiple pictures, stories, etc and now they are silent.

They not only stopped talking about it, they deleted their twitter posts ... like The New York Times Magazine editor-in-chief Jake Silverstein ... and blamed it on distraction by his family ... :lamo

Embarrassment for New York Times as top editor falls for old photo amid weekend of misleading anti-Trump tweets | Fox News

To ask the question, "Why didn't Obama fix it" or "Why weren't Democrats critical?" ignores two important points that must be taken together:

1)Obama wasn't a dictator (even though trump supporters clearly believe that this is precisely the role of the Presidency), so he couldn't solve everything he would have liked to. In addition, the notion that if he didn't fix everything then he fixed nothing is even dumber than the Nirvana Fallacy.
2)Considering his stance on humanitarian principles, it's fair to say we would have fixed it if he had the political momentum on his side. To whit:

He worked to help the environment, which helps people in poor countries who are most at risk from environmental catastrophes, he increased aid to Syrian refugees, worked to end the ebola epidemic, brought in the masses of child refugees that were sweeping across the border, created the Dreamer Act, and spent most of his first term bringing health care to people who couldn't afford it. And of course he wanted to enact common sense gun control policies but was thoroughly stymied by Congress.

So to make the claim that Obama didn't care about the children at the border is at direct odds with his words and the policies he fought for and was able to succeed in implementing. Nearly everything in his Presidency is about moving toward humanitarian principles rather than away from them like with the current administration.

But let's be fair here: this topic is intended solely as a cudgel to (fallaciously) beat Democrats with. Republicans don't even think the people at the border are human, so all if this is really quite funny to them. None of which should be surprising, because the Trump movement is a White Nationalist movement, and if you want these assholes out of power then you're going to have to vote them out of power.

Because Obama wasn't of a mind to implement policies having the potential to separate the kids from their parents.

Obama's Admin. upped the quantity of deportations, but did so without express disregard for whether families got separated in the process. Trump's Admin. has expressed the stance of "parents could be separated from their kids, and that's just tough," as it were.

That remark, while informative to prospective illegal crossers and/or visa overstayers, is of no use to families who arrived in the U.S. prior to his making the pronouncement.

FWIW, I don't know what federal law(s) requires that children be separated from their parents.

But then there's that photo indicating the opposite. Somehow you know Obama's mind, but the people implementing policy for him didn't.

Irrespective of scoring political points, are you supporting these actions here?

Well, my opinion is that Obama's policies resulted in a large number of kids coming across the border and there wasn't much room in the centers. Where should the kids have been kept, so as to prevent them from being harmed by the adults that were also in the centers with them? Not separating the kids in this way, may have been worse.

I'd also add, that they can't just release them to other family members, since we know (based on current commentary and news) that the democrats hate separating kids form their parents and that could result in the agencies "losing" kids, since they are with family members and they don't want to show up to bring the kids to the immigration hearings for the risk of being removed from the country.

Because Obama was not the Progressive super hero some people made him out to be and this problem is more structural then first thought?

It seems like you prefer to play partisan games then find real solutions and I have no time for partisan games, if I like or hate a policy, I will continue to like or hate it regardless of Trump's or Obama's opinions on it.

The article was written in 2014, so it wasn't hidden.

When it comes to public perception and the traction that such articles gain, "hidden" isn't really a binary.

The issue gets more attention now for reasons that should be fairly obvious. Once you get a critical mass, exposure accelerates dramatically and the public outcry with it.

Because their guy was in charge -- classic partisan double standards -- progressives however were very vocal about Obama's deportation policies and how he ramped up deportations during his time as president -- despite how Conservatives claimed otherwise.

Actually, this is great strategy. When Trump finds out Obama did it, he'll stop it.

This dude obama knew about the situations with the children and cared less.As long as his daughters are free wheeling this is all that matters. So glad our President stepped up and addressed this critical issue. The liberal/Demos have to be going ape crap over this exposure. This is a obvious children for sex sale.

This dude obama knew about the situations with the children and cared less.As long as his daughters are free wheeling this is all that matters. So glad our President stepped up and addressed this critical issue. The liberal/Demos have to be going ape crap over this exposure. This is a obvious children for sex sale.

Obvious?...You have proof?...Or did you read that from some Alt Right web site?

Obama admin was really quite ****ting in the immigration area, but Trump isn't improving matters, so far as I can tell.

That said....the fools. (dems, I mean)

Obama admin was really quite ****ting in the immigration area, but Trump isn't improving matters, so far as I can tell.

That said....the fools. (dems, I mean)

In 2014, the Obama administration dealt with a tidal wave of unaccompanied minors. They were completely overwhelmed and did their best to connect those minors with relatives. What Trump is doing is separating parents and minors at the border.

Which, as can be easily understood based on the demagoguery of the current administration, is a very easy thing to justify when you've been conditioned to think of Hispanics as animals and criminals.

Either way, it's important to remember that under Obama the issue with the children was a tragedy. Under Trump, it's a design.

Back
Top Bottom