• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says the U.S. will cut ties with World Health Organization

Quite right. The W.H.O. put up "icy roads, 30 mph" signs, and everyone who went faster than 20 crashed. Great job, W.H.O. What did we need them for again? The W.H.O. will continue to function fine at the terrible job it does without a portion of its budget that is voluntarily supplied by the United States.

You do know that the funding formula for the UN and its agencies is the one that the government of the United States of America insisted on as one of the non-negotiable conditions for joining the UN, don't you?

You do know that that funding formula was one that was intended to give the US government "control of the purse" and, thus, control of the UN in perpetuity, don't you?

No, we're taking about the guy hiding in a bunker when the country burns.

I don't know what was supposed to be in "data" in "Conservative"'s post, but possibly these attachments will help.
20-06-03 COVID.jpg
20-06-03 World-China-USA-Canada.JPG
20-06-03 Deaths by Clearance.jpg

I don't know what was supposed to be in "data" in "Conservative"'s post, but possibly these attachments will help.

The data in Chart number two showing the U.S. rate of .057 is exactly what I have been posting and what has been ignored. Compared to the world that is better and compared to Canada a full 2 plus points better. isn't it time to stop the blame game and focus on recovery?

View attachment 67282524

Ahhhh, another student of Dr. Mushmouth.

500 million is nothing to scoff at. Particularly when not a soul here know just what in the hell the WHO does for America, they spend 200 million on first class travel and luxury hotels, and bend over backwards to portray China in a good light. People here are out of work and struggling and we don't need to waste money any longer.

500 million is nothing to scoff at.

Quite right, why there have only been 15 American lottery prizes that were over $500,000,000.

Particularly when not a soul here know just what in the hell the WHO does for America, they spend 200 million on first class travel and luxury hotels, and bend over backwards to portray China in a good light.

The US assessment for the WHO is $57,883,462. The US is in arrears by $57,883,462.

The total WHO budget is $4,840,500,000 so the US contribution (IF it had been paid [which it wasn't]) would be around 1.2% of that. That means that a whole $2,391,631.52 (approximately) of US taxpayers would have gone towards those luxuries (which, I admit, were totally uncalled for) IF the US had paid its assessment (which it has not done).

To put that in perspective, that (annual) $2,391,631.52 is approximately 5.8898% of the (annual) amount of American taxpayers' money that was spent on Mr. Trump's golf (which HAS been paid).

People here are out of work and struggling and we don't need to waste money any longer.

I quite agree.

The golf links lie so near the mill
That almost every day
The laboring children can look out
And see the men at play.

- Sarah Norcliffe Cleghorn
- - [SOURCE]

You do know that the funding formula for the UN and its agencies is the one that the government of the United States of America insisted on as one of the non-negotiable conditions for joining the UN, don't you?

You do know that that funding formula was one that was intended to give the US government "control of the purse" and, thus, control of the UN in perpetuity, don't you?

Absolutely. Though, as the need for the U.N. (from the perspective of certain countries) decreases, so does the desire to go above and beyond the required funding levels (from the perspective of certain countries) I'm totally in favor of continuing the assessed contributions to the W.H.O., and merely cutting off the discretionary donations. I'm sure the W.H.O. would be fine with this level of funding.

I believe that this was Trump's original plan a few weeks ago, but I may be mistating it.

Quite right, why there have only been 15 American lottery prizes that were over $500,000,000.

The US assessment for the WHO is $57,883,462. The US is in arrears by $57,883,462.

The total WHO budget is $4,840,500,000 so the US contribution (IF it had been paid [which it wasn't]) would be around 1.2% of that. That means that a whole $2,391,631.52 (approximately) of US taxpayers would have gone towards those luxuries (which, I admit, were totally uncalled for) IF the US had paid its assessment (which it has not done).

To put that in perspective, that (annual) $2,391,631.52 is approximately 5.8898% of the (annual) amount of American taxpayers' money that was spent on Mr. Trump's golf (which HAS been paid).

I quite agree.

The golf links lie so near the mill
That almost every day
The laboring children can look out
And see the men at play.

- Sarah Norcliffe Cleghorn
- - [SOURCE]

WHERE are you getting your info from. This is the very first link I found:

What is World Health Organization? What does the U.S. contribute? | wtsp.com

How much does the U.S. give to WHO?
In 2018-19, the U.S. contributed nearly $900 million to WHO's budget. That was about one-fifth of the organization's $4.4 billion budget for those years.

$237 million of that is assessed fees. During those years, the other $656 million or so pledged by the U.S. went to specific programs like polio eradication, vaccine research, nutrition services, tuberculosis and HIV research and outbreak control and prevention.

As of March 31, 2020, the U.S. still owes about $198 million in assessed fees to WHO, according to an account statement from the organization listing every country's status.

Once again, the great Paradoxical is right and you, as usual, are wrong. This is to be expected, however.

PS>How does Trump golfing cost us any more money since the secret service is on salary?

Absolutely. Though, as the need for the U.N. (from the perspective of certain countries) decreases, so does the desire to go above and beyond the required funding levels (from the perspective of certain countries) I'm totally in favor of continuing the assessed contributions to the W.H.O., and merely cutting off the discretionary donations. I'm sure the W.H.O. would be fine with this level of funding.

I believe that this was Trump's original plan a few weeks ago, but I may be mistating it.

From all the evidence available so far, Mr. Trump's "original plan" (and his current one as well) was - in part - to take the US completely out of the WHO.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Mr. Trump's "original plan" also included taking the US out of the United Nations AND out of every other international treaty obligation it currently has.

Mr. Trump has already indicated (since he's already cancelled two out of the three "nuclear disarmament" treaties that the US is involved in with Russia) that he fully intends to re-start the nuclear weapons race.

I don't know whether or not you consider that those actions increase the dangers that the world faces, but I do.

WHERE are you getting your info from. This is the very first link I found:

What is World Health Organization? What does the U.S. contribute? | wtsp.com

I got my information from the WHO website.

However, even if your $900,000,000 figure is correct (and, since it includes all the money that the US was supposed to pay, but didn't, it likely isn't correct) that would only account for 18.59% of the WHO's budget. Knock off the $198,000,000 that wasn't paid and that drops to 14.50% of the WHO's budget.

Since the US has around 24.08% of the total of the world's GDP, paying 18.59% of the cost of the WHO would appear to indicate that the US is paying only around 77.22% of what it "should" pay if what a nation "should" pay were based on the nations share of global wealth.

Once again, the great Paradoxical is right and you, as usual, are wrong. This is to be expected, however.

I know, I'm never right as both "The Great Paradoxical" and "Dr. Mushmouth" keep on telling me.

PS>How does Trump golfing cost us any more money since the secret service is on salary?

Right, and <SARC>the US military doesn't cost any money because all the members are "on salary"</SARC>.

It wouldn't be a world court then, would it?
Then they can create their Third World Court. Who cares?
I disagree. Actually, I don't get this whole notion that allowing someone to speak grants them some kind of legitimacy or implies some level of tacit agreement with their actions or beliefs. But whatever the case, the alternatives are talk or fight, especially with those dictatorial regimes you mention. Fighting kills people--wars usually kill people who don't deserve to die, so talking seems preferable whenever it's possible.
Fight? Why would any of these nations fight? And with what? They'd fight among themselves, probably, and perhaps democracies may arise once the despots kill each other off.
I'm not sure what you mean about a genocide against Christians in the middle east,
Really? This is just a part of it? Islamic State shoots and beheads 30 Ethiopian Christians in Libya: video - Reuters
but in those other cases, the U.N. imposed sanctions.
Sanctions??? We're talking genocide and you and the UN are talking 'sanctions'?? What kind of backward people are we dealing with here?? Do you not see why the civilized word would nothing to do with this kind of culture?
If you think it should do more, you should be making an argument for strengthening the U.N., not abolishing it
LOL! More money for the corrupt oligarchs??I don't think so.
Why not? Seems awfully short-sighted, if not downright dangerous and igorant of the basis of international politics.
The ignorant don't want change, otherwise they'd be welcoming it.
If you're not going to support a claim, don't make the claim.
I can make any claim I want and support it or not. I really don't care what your position is..
Whoosh! Right over your head. Look, the point was that, just like our society would be if there were no court system, we need an impartial international organization like the U.N.--or else countries will go to war more often than they do now to settle their grievances.
There is no 'impartial international organization' because of all the third world corruption that dirties everything it touches.
If I've been arguing that an international organization of nation-states cannot favor the values of any one nation or group of nations, what makes you think I wouldn't say that holds equally for non-democratic countries, or non-Anglo countries, to come back around to that.
You still don't understand that the Anglo-sphere is all based on shared philosophies of human rights and freedoms. Shared values. They have little in common with the Middle East. and most of Asia and Africa. It's time those nations who support freedom and justice organized into one group.
Uh...no, it does not. There hasn't been enough history to know what history will show us. Furthermore, I gave examples of democracies attacking each other.
No, you did not. Or you don't understand democracy. Why are you so against the idea of an Anglo-sphere anyway? It's already happening though much slower than I'd like, and without much fanfare.

From all the evidence available so far, Mr. Trump's "original plan" (and his current one as well) was - in part - to take the US completely out of the WHO.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Mr. Trump's "original plan" also included taking the US out of the United Nations AND out of every other international treaty obligation it currently has.

Mr. Trump has already indicated (since he's already cancelled two out of the three "nuclear disarmament" treaties that the US is involved in with Russia) that he fully intends to re-start the nuclear weapons race.

I don't know whether or not you consider that those actions increase the dangers that the world faces, but I do.

In further research, you may be correct on DJTs WHO funding plan. Thank you. I would still support a drop in voluntary contributions while maintaining assessed contribution levels. Perfectly reasonable reaction, would keep America a member in good standing and probably make the WHO a better organization.

Americans would still contribute more than any other country, by a wide margin, despite only having 4% of the world's population. They currently contribute over 26% of the WHOs budget, despite having only 24% of the World's GDP, or at least 108% of what they should be paying and roughly 485% what the United Nation's calculations require. The WHO will be fine.

I'm m not very afraid of Donald Trump. There are checks and balances to keep his actions between the rails, and he can't help himself but mess up any action he does take, so besides his mouth he's pretty much a paper tiger. America will survive him.

Last edited:
In further research, you may be correct on DJTs WHO funding plan. Thank you. I would still support a drop in voluntary contributions while maintaining assessed contribution levels. Perfectly reasonable reaction, would keep America a member in good standing and probably make the WHO a better organization.

Americans would still contribute more than any other country, by a wide margin, despite only having 4% of the world's population. They currently contribute over 26% of the WHOs budget, despite having only 24% of the World's GDP, or at least 108% of what they should be paying and roughly 485% what the United Nation's calculations require. The WHO will be fine.

Trying to compare different figures from different data bases using different assumption is REALLY frustrating. I'm prepared to let the matter stand that the US would be paying someplace between 18.6% and 26.0% (which averages out to 22.3%) of the WHO's budget while having around 24% of the world's total GDP if it was 100% current on its assessments (which it isn't) and that the actual amount that it pays is somewhat less than that (which could be rectified by paying the arrears).

I'm m not very afraid of Donald Trump. There are checks and balances to keep his actions between the rails, and he can't help himself but mess up any action he does take, so besides his mouth he's pretty much a paper tiger. America will survive him.

I have no doubt that America will "survive" Mr. Trump. I'm not sure in what form it will "survive" Mr. Trump, but I have a lot of faith in the resiliency of the American people and their desire NOT to see the country further deviate from the country that innocent young school children are taught that it is.

Trying to compare different figures from different data bases using different assumption is REALLY frustrating. I'm prepared to let the matter stand that the US would be paying someplace between 18.6% and 26.0% (which averages out to 22.3%) of the WHO's budget while having around 24% of the world's total GDP if it was 100% current on its assessments (which it isn't) and that the actual amount that it pays is somewhat less than that (which could be rectified by paying the arrears).

I have no doubt that America will "survive" Mr. Trump. I'm not sure in what form it will "survive" Mr. Trump, but I have a lot of faith in the resiliency of the American people and their desire NOT to see the country further deviate from the country that innocent young school children are taught that it is.

Yes, but either number is greater than 4X the amount required to pay by agreement with the United Nations.

Then they can create their Third World Court. Who cares?

Well, I think mainly people who might not want to live in a post-apocalyptic world.

Fight? Why would any of these nations fight? And with what? They'd fight among themselves, probably, and perhaps democracies may arise once the despots kill each other off.

You seem to have a very atomistic and isolationist view of wars. There was a time when a couple middle eastern countries going to war with each other didn't have much effect on the rest of the world. That is no longer the case. Remember the oil shocks that took place in the 70s and 80s, and again after 9/11 and at various times during the Iraq war?

Really? This is just a part of it?

That's not a genocide. That's a mass murder. There's a difference. A genocide requires that there is at least an attempt to wipe out an entire group, not just murder a bunch of them.

That said, I would agree that the UN does not always live up to its mission. Then again, when a substantial number of the most powerful nation on earth believe as you do, and many in other powerful countries also resist the idea, it's always got an uphill climb.

Sanctions??? We're talking genocide and you and the UN are talking 'sanctions'?? What kind of backward people are we dealing with here?? Do you not see why the civilized word would nothing to do with this kind of culture?

LOL! More money for the corrupt oligarchs??I don't think so.

So...almost in one breath, you first insinuate that the actions the UN can take (and often does take) are simply not strong enough to meet the demands of the problems it is designed to mitigate, and then, when it's suggested the UN be granted more power, you balk at the prospect. I don't think it's possible to be any more unreasonable than that.

The ignorant don't want change, otherwise they'd be welcoming it. I can make any claim I want and support it or not. I really don't care what your position is.

If you mean that you're technically free to do so...sure. But when you do, you just show yourself to be unreasonable and not interested in reason, and you lose credibility among reasonable people.

There is no 'impartial international organization' because of all the third world corruption that dirties everything it touches.

Not surprisingly, the "third world" has almost exactly the opposite view--and I think history is on their side. The countries in the "Anglosphere" all variously colonized, enslaved, murdered, and stole from those countries that are now "third world" countries--most of whom were doing just fine before white folks showed up.

You still don't understand that the Anglo-sphere is all based on shared philosophies of human rights and freedoms. Shared values. They have little in common with the Middle East. and most of Asia and Africa. It's time those nations who support freedom and justice organized into one group.

Well, I agree that the Anglosphere is marked out partially because of the shared values of its members. I disagree that those values are freedom and justice.

No, you did not. Or you don't understand democracy.

Yes, I did. Athens and Melos were both democracies--they were among the first democracies in the world. Athens attacked Melos. The American North and the American South (when the latter seceded) were both democracies, and one attacked the other (which is which differs depending on who you read). The U.K. is a democracy (the monarchy has little actual power; the country is run by the elected house of commons and the elected prime minister and his cabinet), as is Argentina. The U.K. attacked Argentina.

Why are you so against the idea of an Anglo-sphere anyway? It's already happening though much slower than I'd like, and without much fanfare.

1. Because western society, particularly in the "Anglosphere," is founded on Enlightenment thinking, which is both an historical aberration, but also downright mistaken in a number of its important assumptions, leading to economic and social systems whose end stages are what I call the Cyberpunk nightmare.

2. As a corollary, I'd hate to see those ideas and ideals replicated everywhere with no variance or escape from them.

Back
Top Bottom