• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Ruined My Vacation to Cuba

I feel your pain and understand your resentment and disappointment. We all, though, should know more about how this gvmt operates. I don’t know much, but this I do know. The gvmt stifles new businesses, as a probably poor example. Want to open a bakery? “No, sorry, we already have three here. No license for you.” I also know that the gvmt pays terrible wages. Doctors, for instance, can make more working at one of those three bakeries than they can practicing medicine.... and all doc employment is under gvmt control.

Are these terrible? No, of course not. But there are many more reasons why I can see not welcoming them with open arms. Is it safe there? I don’t know. Remember, it’s all good til it’s not.

I am sorry your trip was spoiled, though, for sure.

Thanks for the sympathy. I can still go but now it will cost me more, I'm sure. I was really thinking about a short 4 day cheap trip.

Thanks for the sympathy. I can still go but now it will cost me more, I'm sure. I was really thinking about a short 4 day cheap trip.
Procrastination ruined your trip not Trump

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It also lists nearly every hotel in Cuba.

I'm trying to get more information about this.

The list of restricted entities—which the US government promises to keep updating—includes a wide variety of organizations connected to Cuba’s government and military, two of the country’s biggest economic actors. Of course, it will be hard to prosecute Americans for minor transactions, but they will be required to keep records of large purchases and hotel stays for potential audits. That means no more souvenirs from the pricey gift shops in Old Havana operated by the state tourist agency, Habanguanex.

https://qz.com/1124363/what-are-donald-trumps-new-rules-for-american-tourists-traveling-to-cuba/

Now that Big Brother of Freedom says I can't use most of the hotels and threatens to audit and verify what hotels I stay at prices will go way up for the AirBnB spots.

An associate told me he had a great time in Cuba and I should go. I was planning to go on vacation with a friend for 4 days in Cuba. They have great food and musicians there. Then this...

Trump tightens limits on personal travel, business ties to Cuba

Let me get this straight: We're the land of the free but I don't have the freedom to visit Cuba? What kind of freedom is that?

This is what I hate about Republicans. Their claims about being the party of "freedom" is total BS. I guess I can travel to Saudi Arabia and China but not Cuba? Why? WTF?!

I repeat, Libertarian who support Donald Trump are NOT libertarians.

Why would you want to go to a country that kept African slaves for 20 years after the US outlawed slavery?

The young Cubans don't know what the Old Cubans had to deal with under Fidel and his bastard brother. In other words, they're ignorant.

You left out, and what they would have to deal with if they went back.

Why would you want to go to a country that kept African slaves for 20 years after the US outlawed slavery?

Because it's been more than a century since then, and things have changed? Because they are our closest neighbor without a border, and we've punitively punished them for the Cuban Missile Crisis for nearly 60 years, to nobody's benefit? Because there is no discernible reason, given the cozy relationships the U.S. has with numerous dictatorships whose brutality would make Castro **** his pants, that we should continue to ostracize the Cuban people? I dunno. Can't think of a reason.

Nice race card drop, though. We got rid of slavery in the 1860s, they held onto it til the 1880s; ergo, we are morally superior. What a granite-solid argument.

Last edited:
Trump is cutting off access to Cuba for one reason and one reason only -- Obama.

The politics of spite. This is what we get when we make an internet troll president. A policy that makes no sense, benefits nobody and only exists because the predecessor who poked fun at him at a correspondent's dinner enacted the opposite.

Our president is a manchild, and anyone who supports him is a moron of the lowest order. All Trump supporters are idiots. I cannot state this emphatically enough.

Because it's been more than a century since then, and things have changed? Because they are our closest neighbor without a border, and we've punitively punished them for the Cuban Missile Crisis for nearly 60 years, to nobody's benefit? Because there is no discernible reason, given the cozy relationships the U.S. has with numerous dictatorships whose brutality would make Castro **** his pants, that we should continue to ostracize the Cuban people? I dunno. Can't think of a reason.

Nice race card drop, though. We got rid of it in the 1860s, they held onto it til the 1880s; ergo, we are morally superior. What a granite-solid argument.

Now wait a minute.

American blacks are still feeling the effects of slavery, but the Cuban blacks are not?

A lot of the complaints lately seem to be based on slavery once being legal in the US, so I wonder why people would want to visit a nation that kept slavery for 20 more years.

By the way, Cuba itself did not voluntarily get rid of slavery. It was abolished by royal decree in 1886.

Why promote a slave holding country?

Trump is cutting off access to Cuba for one reason and one reason only -- Obama.

The politics of spite. This is what we get when we make an internet troll president. A policy that makes no sense, benefits nobody and only exists because the predecessor who poked fun at him at a correspondent's dinner enacted the opposite.

Our president is a manchild, and anyone who supports him is a moron of the lowest order. All Trump supporters are idiots. I cannot state this emphatically enough.

Trump is reversing it because it never should have been done in the first place without getting what the US needed in return.

Now wait a minute.

American blacks are still feeling the effects of slavery, but the Cuban blacks are not?

The entire continent of Africa, as well as nations such as Haiti and Jamaica, are still feeling the effects of slavery. What the blue hell is your point?

A lot of the complaints lately seem to be based on slavery once being legal in the US, so I wonder why people would want to visit a nation that kept slavery for 20 more years.

So anti-slavery arguments must follow a linear timeline? Do you realize how ****ing stupid you look right now?

By the way, Cuba itself did not voluntarily get rid of slavery. It was abolished by royal decree in 1886.

Before Cuba was a country. Cuba was a Spanish colony until 1898 and didn't achieve independence until 1902. I can read Wikipedia too.

Why promote a slave holding country?

We should cut off all relations with Spain IMMEDIATELY.

You've made some breathtakingly stupid arguments on this forum, but this is by far your worst one.

The entire continent of Africa, as well as nations such as Haiti and Jamaica, are still feeling the effects of slavery. What the blue hell is your point?

Before Cuba was a country. Cuba was a Spanish colony until 1898 and didn't achieve independence until 1902. I can read Wikipedia too.

You've made some breathtakingly stupid arguments on this forum, but this is by far your worst one.[/QUOTE]

I am sure you think they are stupid. That doesn't surprise me.

Understanding a simple point is not your strong suit.

You've made some breathtakingly stupid arguments on this forum, but this is by far your worst one.

Understanding a simple point is not your strong suit.[/QUOTE]

The "simple point" that you are blaming Cuba for Spanish policy that existed more than a century ago. If you're making a point, you'd best get to it, since all you're displaying right now is a blatant ignorance of history.

I don't think your arguments are stupid. I know they are.

Understanding a simple point is not your strong suit.

The "simple point" that you are blaming Cuba for Spanish policy that existed more than a century ago. If you're making a point, you'd best get to it, since all you're displaying right now is a blatant ignorance of history.

I don't think your arguments are stupid. I know they are.[/QUOTE]

So the Spaniards forced the Cubans to have slaves?

I don't think your arguments are stupid. I know they are.

So the Spaniards forced the Cubans to have slaves?[/QUOTE]

What the **** do you think a "colony" is?

You yourself said that slavery was eliminated in Cuba by royal decree. Was it the King of Cuba who did that?

Last edited:
The young Cubans don't know what the Old Cubans had to deal with under Fidel and his bastard brother. In other words, they're ignorant.

They had plenty to complain about with Batista too. The young are the future of Cuba and they are smart enough to realize that what we have been doing is not working. Trade and capitalism will turn Cuba and stone walling them favors the Commies remaining in power.

An associate told me he had a great time in Cuba and I should go. I was planning to go on vacation with a friend for 4 days in Cuba. They have great food and musicians there. Then this...

Trump tightens limits on personal travel, business ties to Cuba

Let me get this straight: We're the land of the free but I don't have the freedom to visit Cuba? What kind of freedom is that?

This is what I hate about Republicans. Their claims about being the party of "freedom" is total BS. I guess I can travel to Saudi Arabia and China but not Cuba? Why? WTF?!

I repeat, Libertarian who support Donald Trump are NOT libertarians.

Do what most Americans did for years.

Fly to Mexico (Cancun, usually) and get into Cuba that way.

There are well over 200 hotels in Havana alone.

There are 107 inclusive Hotels in Cuba. These are the ones booked by over 90% of tourists. Yes there are motels, Bed and Breakfasts and less quality hotels for the Cuban population but as far as top rated tourist accommodations. These are most of them.

What’s the mystery? Cuba made the mistake of sassing the country that controlled it for generations. Not to whitewash the tyranny there, but empires seem to most cruel to rebellious colonies that are nearby. I worked with an anti-Castro refugee back in the day. Hated Fidel but said the US got what it deserved with Cuba. Think of Britain and Ireland. Or France and Algeria. For that matter, Rome and Carthage. Hence the various prohibitions on travel. Funny, they’re the rebellious children, but the US acted like a spoiled brat. Soviet Union.. detente... China.. a courageous opening from Nixon, a veteran anti-communist... Cuba... not a chance. How dare they challenge us? And let’s not talk about Nicaragua.

Back
Top Bottom