• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump on a Flynn pardon - 'Lets see'

:roll:

No, it doesn't. That is sheer speculation.

You appear to continually confuse what you really hope is the case with what is actually happening, steeped with a knowledge of legal procedure garnered entirely from Hollywood.
What is actually happening, oh grand king of law?

What is actually happening, oh grand king of law?

With the bank records? Who knows? Could be any number of things. Claiming it's for building a FARA case is nothing but rank speculation. (Never mind that you also claimed a FARA conviction was assured based solely on what's already known, so what's to "build"? It should already be built, according to you.)

It's an arrogant power-drunk President out-of-control. He has no fear, and displays no respect.

I know he does not drink...but he plays like a person with substance abuse.

His "substance" is power and control.

With the bank records? Who knows? Could be any number of things. Claiming it's for building a FARA case is nothing but rank speculation. (Never mind that you also claimed a FARA conviction was assured based solely on what's already known, so what's to "build"? It should already be built, according to you.)
You're right, it could be for any number of things, but I would guess FARA is the predicate offense to look deeper at Flynn's banking records, to see what other evidence can be obtained.

With the being said, investigations tend to begat other investigations -- think Whitewater.

I claimed that FARA is pretty much a slam dunk because the issue is not so much the failure to register with the DOJ, but it being done with an intent to mislead the government -- like Manafort. Flynn not only failed to register with the DOJ, he also failed to disclose all of his foreign payments on his SF-86, and was required to inform the Secretary of State and Army of his trips, and that's very illegal.

I'm willing to let my argument stand, you can have the last word if you'd like.

Cheers.

I've already explained; prosecutors just don't do it that way.

1) Justice Department policy is to indict for the most serious provable crime, and not plead down to lesser charges. Not doing so suggests that there isn't the evidence to do so. In which case, what could the person in question possibly have to offer if he hasn't admitted to anything more?

2) Indicting for the most serious crime gives more leverage over the person you're trying to convince to cooperate, because you'll have him in a position where he has much more to lose and much more to gain cooperating. Indicting for a lesser crime front-loads the benefit of cooperating. Why give him the goods -- the lesser charge, the lesser sentence --
before he cooperates? Only when faced with a serious penalty is there motive for cooperating. A guy facing 20 years off the bat is more likely to sing than a guy facing 5, or none.

Are you more likely to cooperate with someone who has a gun pointed directly at you, or someone who says that he'll go get the gun you've never seen if you don't?

3) Indicting for the most serious crime makes for a more credible witness.

4) Merely indicting for a false statement makes the witness a lot less credible, because, well, he makes false statements, and there's little penalty for him if he reneges on a cooperation deal.

5) Indicting for the most serious crime brings more weight against the "bigger fish," because it establishes the serious crime.

It's Mueller and Trump playing Chicken

Mueller indicted Flynn on the simplest charge, and got everything he wanted from him.

The question is whether Trump will take the bait and waste a pardon on such a small charge - when he knows or is afraid that the charges against Flynn will get worse each time he pardons him.

Mueller has all the power right now.

Benghazi was actually looking into dereliction of duty, and what exactly what was the ambassador doing meeting with the Turks there in the first place....

Sorry because I have no idea. It tends to change constantly between "stand down", the video, or why the compound wasn't better guarded. If you took a poll of Republicans on what the "crime" was in Benghazi I promise you would get various answers.

Clinton's BJ, was actually NOT the reason for the impeachment, lying to a judge was. And I agree that for Starr to lurch into that crap shouldn't have been allowed in hindsight...SP's should have strict parameters, and be held to them....
Sure...just like lying to the FBI is a crime in this situation.
And come on, we both know that "lying to the FBI" is a process charge. It can be as simple as being asked a question in August, then in March of the next year being asked the same question, and the answer while similar, is not exactly the same.....So, spare me that Flynn is some kind of criminal element...Haven't you demos ruined him enough?
The lying had to do with conversations with Russian agents before they took office.

He ruined himself...it's his actions that have ruined his reputation. None of the stuff brought up in the indictment are lies and Dems have nothing to do with running this investigation. It's a Republican that was put into place to run the investigation by a Republican AG. I'm not sure why Conservatives constantly forget they control Congress and the Presidency. If Dems someone how are pulling strings as a party with little to no power than Conservatives are just plain stupid.

I hope he's not that stupid. That would be political suicide (even more than the current political suicide he commits pretty much every day).

Then again, it is President Trump, and his brain isn't wired right.

Oh - he is that stupid.

Don't you think by this time Flynn has already told everything he has to tell to Mueller and they have it all on video? What exactly would Trump gain by a pardon now?

The fact that Mueller requested Deutsche bank release information related to Flynn, means a FARA case is being built against Flynn, and in the end they'll get him on that.

Flynn knows that, his lawyers know that, and they both know that even though the case hasn't been brought yet, plea deals and 5k letters that are available now might not be down the road.

Hell, just recently a witness came forward detailing that Flynn told a business associate that a deal to bring nuclear technology with the assistance of Russia could go forward, as the sanction currently preventing it would be "ripped up" once Trump took office.

#CrookedFlynn
Interesting, I never heard that term (the bolded). Thanks!

I know he does not drink...but he plays like a person with substance abuse.

His "substance" is power and control.
Yeah, I often wondered if he was on drugs, even if legal prescriptions. There's just something not right with him.

Probably more likely to commute any sentence he may get for the BS "lying" charge.

The BS lying charge... for the guy who was fired or resigned because he lied to the VP.

Yeah, I often wondered if he was on drugs, even if legal prescriptions. There's just something not right with him.

Diet coke dementia is complicating his malignant narcissism.

Back
Top Bottom