• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Has Won His War Against the Media

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Washington Post:

Consider the language used in this question. Marist didn’t ask people whom they trusted more between the media at large and Trump; it was a choice between the media outlet you like the best and the president. Presumably, the media outlet you like the best is the one you consider most reliable and informative, but even pitting a Trump supporter’s top pick of all of the media outlets against the president, the president wins. . . . This poll was released on the heels of another survey that adds still more context to the question of media trust. A Politico-Morning Consult survey conducted online found that nearly half of Americans, a plurality, thinks that the media makes up stories about the president out of whole cloth.

According to the media's own polls, then. But then we know how completely inaccurate they are when it comes to any question about Trump, so who knows?

In any case, everyone knows those guys are rabidly eager to bring Trump down. They aren't fooling anyone.

Washington Post:

According to the media's own polls, then. But then we know how completely inaccurate they are when it comes to any question about Trump, so who knows?

In any case, everyone knows those guys are rabidly eager to bring Trump down. They aren't fooling anyone.

What the poll suggests (see graph below) is that among Democrats and Independents, the media is far more believable than Trump. Among Republicans, Trump, who has a problem telling the truth -- found to lie more than 1,300 times since inauguration, is more reliable to them than their favorite news source (Fox?).

imrs.php

I think this tells us more about Republican voters than it does about Trump. The GOP has been lying to their base for at least a decade. They told them that tax-cuts yield more revenue. They told them that they are the party of morality, as their most radical member solicited other men in public rest rooms. They told them that the Iraq War would be one in a few weeks. GOP voters are used to GOP leaders lying to them. GOP voters are like an abused wife who keeps running back to her spouse, only for him to abuse her again.

Where is the poll from. How heavy is it weighted for Democrats and independents?

Don't forget this: There are "Lies, damned lies, and statistics".

Americans' Trust in Mass Media Sinks to New Low

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans' trust and confidence in the mass media "to report the news fully, accurately and fairly" has dropped to its lowest level in Gallup polling history, with 32% saying they have a great deal or fair amount of trust in the media. This is down eight percentage points from last year.
Americans' Trust in Mass Media Sinks to New Low

The increasing lack of trust in the media is self inflicted.

1. Entire Media Lies About Trump's Refugee Pause Being a "Muslim Ban"
2. CNN Lies About Tying Fox News In the Ratings On Inauguration Day
3. Time Magazine Blames Misreporting On Trump
4. Washington Post "Fact Checker" Attempts to Gin Up Dissent Against Trump
5. EXTRAORDINARY Lies of Omission About Foreign-Born Threats to America
6. AP Reports that Trump's Vote Fraud Expert is Registered in Three States
7. The Viral Lie that Dick Cheney Blasted Trump Over His Refugee Pause
8. Media Lies About Trump's Refugee Pause Based On His Business Interests
9. ABC News Accuses Trump of Not Having Family Photos in the Oval Office
10. The Islamophobic Media Lie That Refugee Pauses Create Terrorists
11. The Lie That Mike Flynn's Son Called the Refugee Pause a 'Muslim Ban'
12. Media Spreads Lies of "Mass Resignations" at State Department
13. New York Times' Maggie Haberman Claims Only San Bernardino Shootings Involved 'Non-US-Born Attacker'
14. Media Falsely Claims Obama Did Not Discriminate Against Christian Refugees
15. CNN's Jim Sciutto Spreads Lie That "Refugee Policy Is Not Based On Religion"
16. Media Lies About Trump Installing a Gag Order Against the EPA
17. Media Covered Up and Lied About Obama's 2011 Refugee Ban
18. Washington Post Publishes Partisan Editorial as Straight News Story
19. NBC's Chuck Todd Falsely Claims Fear of Sexism Contributed to Major Hillary Cover-up
20. Philadelphia Inquirer Contradicts Its Own Reporting to Gotcha Trump
21. Even MORE Corrections from the Atlantic on Their Fake News Reporting About the Unborn
22. Media Spreads Lie That Trump's Chief Advisor Told the Media to "Shut Up"
22. ABC News Memory-Holes Key Part of Trump Interview
23. WINTER IS COMING: ABC News Busted Promoting Fake Image of Trump
24. Media Falsely Claim There Is Zero Evidence of Widespread Vote Fraud

http://www.dailywire.com/news/13001/omg-list-last-week-msm-spread-much-fake-news-john-nolte
Even if only 1/2 of these are true, that still far to many to earn trust.

The increasing lack of trust in the media is self inflicted.

Even if only 1/2 of these are true, that still far to many to earn trust.

I see 24 items on that list, so if 12 false statements is too many to earn trust, what about 1318 false or misleading statements? Would that cross any particular threshold for you?

Where is the poll from. How heavy is it weighted for Democrats and independents? Don't forget this: There are "Lies, damned lies, and statistics". Americans' Trust in Mass Media Sinks to New Low WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans' trust and confidence in the mass media "to report the news fully, accurately and fairly" has dropped to its lowest level in Gallup polling history, with 32% saying they have a great deal or fair amount of trust in the media. This is down eight percentage points from last year.

Ah yes, lies and damned lies... you use a sept '16 poll... now try a feb '17 one from Quinnipiac - Who do you trust more on important issues- Trump or the news media???

Total- 37% trump, 52% news media. Rep- 78% Donald, 13% Media. Crucial independents- 38% Trump, 50% media. White with degree 37/55, without 55/37.

I'd opine the war on 'fake news' Trumpikins support has divided the country, but more and more Americans see Trump as the liar in chief and now that Gen Kelly's statements have been proven to be lies (and Trump's claim to have proof he never 'said it' is now admitted to be yet another lie) I'd say the polls will continue to shift.

The poll I'd like to see would pit abc/nbc/cbs vs Trump. Those are the outlets Trump mocks and attacks... :peace

I see 24 items on that list, so if 12 false statements is too many to earn trust, what about 1318 false or misleading statements? Would that cross any particular threshold for you?

You do realize that it's the media that is making the 1318 false statement claim?

So there's 25. Doesn't help your point.

You do realize that it's the media that is making the 1318 false statement claim?

So there's 25. Doesn't help your point.

Do you think that up to twelve of those 1318 false statement claims are legitimate?

The list of 24 is only over the course of a single week taken as a snapshot of what typically is going on.

I hadn't seen a list of "1318 false or misleading statements" from the media. That one might exists and has that many items doesn't surprise me.

Do you think that up to twelve of those 1318 false statement claims are legitimate?

Ask the media. They are the ones who made the claim.

The list of 24 is only over the course of a single week taken as a snapshot of what typically is going on.

I hadn't seen a list of "1318 false or misleading statements" from the media. That one might exists and has that many items doesn't surprise me.

You're already moving the goalposts since your original post made no mention of the false stories per week, but hey, let's go with that. You set twelve as the threshold for an unacceptable number of false statements/stories. So twelve false statements/stories per week is equal to 1.7 per day. If the number of false statements/stories was 5/day and therefore 35/week, would that be worse? Would that lead your trust for that institution or individual to atrophy to some extent?

Ask the media. They are the ones who made the claim.

I'm asking you. Do you think it's plausible that 12 out of 1318 false statement claims is fair?

By the way, I encourage anybody reading this thread to click eohrnberger's links in post #5. Entertainment value: 4/4 stars.

Political lying is protected speech. Think about that at election time and weigh that against the notion the our election system allows individual citizens to vote for their own interests.

Consequently, politicians who lie the best wins (and they all know that are protected). This begs the question: If politicians are lying to get elected then how can an individual voting for one’s self-interests have any relevant meaning in our political process?

Once in office - apparently lying is still protected speech.

I'm asking you. Do you think it's plausible that 12 out of 1318 false statement claims is fair?

Sure. Which means the media lied and missrepresented the truth 1306 times.

Sure. Which means the media lied and missrepresented the truth 1306 times.

See post #5. 12 false statements/stories is the threshold for eohrnberger to lose trust in an individual or institution.

See post #5. 12 false statements/stories is the threshold for eohrnberger to lose trust in an individual or institution.

Not mine.

Trump has lied. That's a fact.

But so has the media, and frankly, they've done it/are doing it with more regularity than Trump.

You're already moving the goalposts since your original post made no mention of the false stories per week, but hey, let's go with that. You set twelve as the threshold for an unacceptable number of false statements/stories. So twelve false statements/stories per week is equal to 1.7 per day. If the number of false statements/stories was 5/day and therefore 35/week, would that be worse? Would that lead your trust for that institution or individual to atrophy to some extent?

Actually I'm not moving any goalposts. That was contained in the article that I cited.

Boiling it down to numbers would appear to make sense to compare, however, the selection of which are false stories inevitably ends up being a subjective judgement by the reader.

The point of my post being is that the 'news' (political propaganda) media is damaging itself and its credibility as it continues with their biased reporting of the news, and that this is self inflicted.

I have no idea. So ask away.

The media is making these points. I stopped paying attention to MSM Nov 9, 2016. About 3:00 AM.

Has that caused your trust in him to atrophy? Also, how do you know he lied?

I never trusted him to begin with. I voted for him as a sort of punishment to my government grievances inflicted on Americans. I voted for him to be terrible, to wake up Americans to the importance of fixing our electoral process.

What's your excuse?

Washington Post:

As usual, crappy sampling in this poll.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-con...the Sample and Tables_October 2017.pdf#page=1

Party Identification

Dem...35%
Rep...26%
Ind...36%

The latest party affiliation numbers from Gallup:

Dem...30%
Rep...29%
Ind...40%

Party Affiliation | Gallup Historical Trends

But Marist is actually much worse...

Party Identification

Strong Dem...23%
Not Strong Dem...12%
Dem leaning Ind...16%
--------------------------
Total...51%

Strong Rep...17%
Not Strong Rep...9%
Rep Leaning Ind...10%
--------------------------
Total...36%

Just Ind...10%

Judgment: POLL REJECTED!!

What the poll suggests (see graph below) is that among Democrats and Independents, the media is far more believable than Trump. Among Republicans, Trump, who has a problem telling the truth -- found to lie more than 1,300 times since inauguration, is more reliable to them than their favorite news source (Fox?).

imrs.php

I think this tells us more about Republican voters than it does about Trump. The GOP has been lying to their base for at least a decade. They told them that tax-cuts yield more revenue. They told them that they are the party of morality, as their most radical member solicited other men in public rest rooms. They told them that the Iraq War would be one in a few weeks. GOP voters are used to GOP leaders lying to them. GOP voters are like an abused wife who keeps running back to her spouse, only for him to abuse her again.

Nope. It does not show that „among Democrats and Libertarians the media is more believable than Trump“. They just say they believe the media more. That is rather bizarre considering how varied the quality of the media is and that much of the reporting is of the things Trump said and that those have to be viewed in the original to know, what was said.

Actually I'm not moving any goalposts. That was contained in the article that I cited.

Boiling it down to numbers would appear to make sense to compare, however, the selection of which are false stories inevitably ends up being a subjective judgement by the reader.

The point of my post being is that the 'news' (political propaganda) media is damaging itself and its credibility as it continues with their biased reporting of the news, and that this is self inflicted.

Yes, I understand you believe that already. I'd like to know, however, that if 12 false statements would cause you to lose trust in the media, would 35 false statements per week would lead you to lose trust in an individual?

Back
Top Bottom