• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump demands gold‑plated welcome (in London)

Trump must not be doing too bad as President if the fallback hate from his detractors involves something so silly as his taste in interior design.

Aww poor snowflake, ya Donnys place could have been decorated in Russia, looks like a poor mans Versailles, tacky!! Goes to show money does not buy class, or good taste.

Aww poor snowflake, ya Donnys place could have been decorated in Russia, looks like a poor mans Versailles, tacky!! Goes to show money does not buy class, or good taste.

Huh?

I don't have an issue letting him put his pompous behind in a beautiful gold plated horse pulled carriage. Visits of heads of states cost money and if this is his wish and the Brits are OK with it, then why not. But it has to be offered to him, there is no demanding anything IMHO even when the US president comes over.

Considering all the fake news bull**** that goes on, I wont be shocked if we learn that the UK protocol people asked, the Trump admin answered, and leftists have **** themselves claiming he 'demanded'.

As you and most who post on this forum are Americans with seemingly little knowledge of the world outside of North America, I am not surprised by the comments posted here about "leftists" making up this story about Trump and other instances.

The Times of London is owned by the same company which owns Fox News - a corporation not generally viewed as leftist.

from Wikipedia
For much more than a century The Times has been an integral and important part of the political structure of Great Britain. Its news and its editorial comment have in general been carefully coordinated, and have at most times been handled with an earnest sense of responsibility. While the paper has admitted some trivia to its columns, its whole emphasis has been on important public affairs treated with an eye to the best interests of Britain. To guide this treatment, the editors have for long periods been in close touch with 10 Downing Street.

The Times is as 'establishment' as a group may ever hope to be.

Obama seemed to relish and exploit each opportunity to snub the Brits.

Trump is assertively re-positioning Britain back its special partner status.

You, sir, have ZERO knowledge of Obama's actual interactions with the British government and people.

Trump is assertively re-positioning America into a very special status, one in which no present ally can place trust in the actions of our President.

As you and most who post on this forum are Americans with seemingly little knowledge of the world outside of North America, I am not surprised by the comments posted here about "leftists" making up this story about Trump and other instances.

The Times of London is owned by the same company which owns Fox News - a corporation not generally viewed as leftist.

from Wikipedia

The Times is as 'establishment' as a group may ever hope to be.

Ive spent about 10 years abroad, 3 of them in England. I question the story as presented because nothing in anything presented states Trump 'demanded' a carriage ride and it sounds like the petty fake news bull**** the leftists have been spewing since the election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ive spent about 1 years abroad, 3 of them in England. I question the story as presented because nothing in anything presented states Trump 'demanded' a carriage ride and it sounds like the petty fake news bull**** the leftists have been spewing since the election.

Obviously a typo as "ONE year abroad, 3 of them in England" is a physical impossibility without access to the Tardis.

Do you believe that a Rupert Murdoch controlled media outlet is simply repeating "leftist propaganda", or is it actually possible that Trump has "demanded" a gold carriage ride? His personal decor preferences certainly align well with the rococo gilt of Her Majesty's carriages.

Obviously a typo as "ONE year abroad, 3 of them in England" is a physical impossibility without access to the Tardis.

Do you believe that a Rupert Murdoch controlled media outlet is simply repeating "leftist propaganda", or is it actually possible that Trump has "demanded" a gold carriage ride? His personal decor preferences certainly align well with the rococo gilt of Her Majesty's carriages.

Yes. That was '10'.

Is it possible Trump 'demanded' it? Sure. But none of the news reports indicate that. And it's not just one source.

I will address that, yes I do. Because although Rupert Murdoch owns fox news, he's not a US citizen, he's not personally vested in our political structure other then that he owns a business that makes money targetting a specific demographic.

A media outlet in England, will not cater editorially to the same group of folks in the UK as in the United States, also print journalism in England does have a certain flair to it to make entertaining stories, like the newspaper during the Falklands war when reporting on the British sub sinking the Argentine ship and the headline was "Gotchya!" or something like that.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Times is repearing "leftist propaganda" but to deny there's any left-leaning bias in the article simply because the times is owned a Murdoch corporation is not entirely valid argument either.

I will address that, yes I do. Because although Rupert Murdoch owns fox news, he's not a US citizen, he's not personally vested in our political structure other then that he owns a business that makes money targetting a specific demographic.

A media outlet in England, will not cater editorially to the same group of folks in the UK as in the United States, also print journalism in England does have a certain flair to it to make entertaining stories, like the newspaper during the Falklands war when reporting on the British sub sinking the Argentine ship and the headline was "Gotchya!" or something like that.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Times is repearing "leftist propaganda" but to deny there's any left-leaning bias in the article simply because the times is owned a Murdoch corporation is not entirely valid argument either.

Murdoch could not own Fox News if he was not a US citizen. In fact he became a citizen so he could expand his media operations in the US.
Murdoch Becomes U.S. Citizen, Can Buy TV Network
September 04, 1985

Rupert Murdoch, Australian-born publishing magnate, became a U.S. citizen today, removing an obstacle to his acquisition of a network of independent American television stations. (. . .) Under federal regulations an alien may not own more than 20% of a broadcast license.

Media outlets in England generally cater to very specific groups, that is why News Corp owns a paper which caters to those who read tabloids for sex, sports and scandals - The Sun and The Times and The Sunday Times which are seen as the 'establishment' publications.

An English paper with a headline reading "Gotchya" would undoubtedly been one of the numerous tabloid papers, also known as Red Tops for the red headlines at the top of their front page.

Murdoch could not own Fox News if he was not a US citizen. In fact he became a citizen so he could expand his media operations in the US.

wow, I didn't know that. I stand corrected.

Media outlets in England generally cater to very specific groups, that is why News Corp owns a paper which caters to those who read tabloids for sex, sports and scandals - The Sun and The Times and The Sunday Times which are seen as the 'establishment' publications.

An English paper with a headline reading "Gotchya" would undoubtedly been one of the numerous tabloid papers, also known as Red Tops for the red headlines at the top of their front page.

I still don't believe the argument that only because Rupert Murdoch owns the publication it won't have any left leaning bias, especially a publication in a foreign country with politics that are different then ours.

wow, I didn't know that. I stand corrected.

I still don't believe the argument that only because Rupert Murdoch owns the publication it won't have any left leaning bias, especially a publication in a foreign country with politics that are different then ours.

If you "don't believe the argument", it may be that your definition of "left-leaning" is not one accepted by others.

And I have problems with this story due to lack of specifics.

other reports of the story I have read say only Trump had requested the carriage, not that he was making demands. and other world leaders have traditionally used the carriage, which implies it's the default unless the dignitary requests otherwise.

Xi Jingping, Vladimir Putin, and Enrique Peña Neito, all leaders of major countries with security risks have ridden the carriage, so I don't feel as if this story sounds right on a context basis.

The Donald's ego will cost the Brits a 'few' pennies, this autumn

This one might be wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-is-completely-false/?utm_term=.acd84e5d335d

Okay, so President Trump probably won’t be taking the Tube during his upcoming visit to London, but he won’t be riding in a gold-plated carriage fit for royalty, either.

The White House has smacked down reports this weekend that POTUS expected a turn in Queen Elizabeth II’s sweet ride during his October jaunt across the pond. The Times of London reported that the White House had made clear to their hosts that a carriage procession — a ritual that has been enjoyed by other world leaders, though not former president Barack Obama — was an “essential element of the itinerary” for the visit, prompting virtual eye-rolls on social media.

“Completely false,” a White House spokeswoman tells People magazine. “We have not even begun working on details for this trip.”

But lets not forget the other lies from Trump and his staff. I give this one a 50/50 tossup.

If you "don't believe the argument", it may be that your definition of "left-leaning" is not one accepted by others.

or my definition doesn't hinge soley on who underwrites the corporation

Ah, the silly things Trump haters get all worked up about....:roll:

The Narcissist is at it again. When are we going to start the military parades in the US? He said that at one time too. A nice waste of money for a Nation with our budget deficit.

I'm having trouble following your position here. First it was untrue, now it is, but it's normal.

Maybe some common sense is called for. Or at least some consistency.

The story about the "Demands" is untrue. The coach is offered to a head of state as an option. A normal function for a head of state official visit.
Now do you understand now?

The Narcissist is at it again. When are we going to start the military parades in the US? He said that at one time too. A nice waste of money for a Nation with our budget deficit.

Tell me, how does it cost the US a penny more having the UK put on the pomp and circumstance? You guys need to come in off the ledge....

Uh oh. According to HuffPo, now the White House is "not commenting". Obama chose an armored car because it was more secure. Oh, vanity...

Trump Reportedly Insists On Traveling In Lavish Carriage During UK State Visit | The Huffington Post

If Trump does travel by carriage, he could likely use the lavish gold-plated Diamond Jubilee State coach, which other foreign dignitaries, including Chinese President Xi Jinping and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, have used during past state visits.

Sources told The Times that the carriage was not as secure as the president’s traditional armored vehicle that is bulletproof, protects against a chemical attack, and can withstand a small bomb.

Security officials are preparing for massive protests during Trump’s visit, which The Times reported will require unprecedented security. The Evening Standard reported in February that policing costs for the visit could be up to 7 million pounds.

Uh oh. According to HuffPo, now the White House is "not commenting". Obama chose an armored car because it was more secure. Oh, vanity...

Trump Reportedly Insists On Traveling In Lavish Carriage During UK State Visit | The Huffington Post

Why should they comment? Anything they say is just ammunition for liberals to twist, and distort....For example, you cite the HuffPo, and I want you to take a look at the headline and think about it for a minute....We have established that the UK offers this to any, I'll say it again, ANY head of state visiting England....We have also documented that other heads of state have taken them up on the ride....So, why shouldn't President Trump? Because you don't like him? Sorry, suck it up buttercup....

Back
Top Bottom