• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump declared he's running again. Many Republicans aren't ready to back him.

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/19/politics/congress-republicans-trump-second-term/index.html

Washington (CNN)A wide array of House and Senate Republicans are not yet ready to endorse President Donald Trump's bid for a second term, a reflection of the deep uncertainty on Capitol Hill over his political standing amid growing problems at home and abroad.

In interviews with a cross-section of more than two dozen GOP lawmakers, ranging from rank-and-file members, conservatives and party leaders, many refused to say they'd back Trump's re-election bid -- a surprise declaration given that members of Congress are typically quick to endorse sitting presidents of their own party without hesitation. Hardly any would offer a categorical endorsement of the President.
=========================================================
Many must view the Orange Clown as a political third rail.

I don't see why he wouldn't run for a second term.

As it relates to GOP support, I think there will be a lot of grumbling and gnashing of teeth; but in the end they're likely to roll with it. It would look really bad for the GOP brand to oppose their sitting President during his reelection campaign.

As it relates to GOP support, I think there will be a lot of grumbling and gnashing of teeth; but in the end they're likely to roll with it. It would look really bad for the GOP brand to oppose their sitting President during his reelection campaign.

Are you blind then? My condolences.

Why wouldnt we, maybe Trump is right and we will tire of winning? :lamo

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/19/politics/congress-republicans-trump-second-term/index.html

Washington (CNN)A wide array of House and Senate Republicans are not yet ready to endorse President Donald Trump's bid for a second term, a reflection of the deep uncertainty on Capitol Hill over his political standing amid growing problems at home and abroad.

In interviews with a cross-section of more than two dozen GOP lawmakers, ranging from rank-and-file members, conservatives and party leaders, many refused to say they'd back Trump's re-election bid -- a surprise declaration given that members of Congress are typically quick to endorse sitting presidents of their own party without hesitation. Hardly any would offer a categorical endorsement of the President.

First of all, of course he will run.

Second of all, they either support him or lose the election. For the egomaniacs that politics require, there is no way they will go to minority status without a fight. Most are complaining that the younger up and comers are replacing them, and their time at the wheel is over. They are mostly ageing out in the house, and senile - ing out in the senate.

It's all part of the reorganization of America.

It's a long time till the next Presidential election. Lots can happen to sway the opinions of Congressional politicians and the public. There's also a lot of time left for swamp draining.

It's way too early to be asking Congressmen about their opinions of a Presidential race more than two years from now...and, the quotes in the OP's article say pretty much the same thing.

But hey...the Trump haters don't care about logic and reason. They just want to make Trump look bad and this spin-laden article is just another attempt.

Why wouldn't the GOP endorse Trump? He's been rather disastrous thus far and has succeeded really in only dividing his own party and preventing the GOP for making any big gains it could have otherwise made when in control of Congress and the WH. He's not a good president in the least, and the GOP's own leadership has little love for him. But opposing him may hurt the brand more than dumping Trump, so they will likely just suffer through it.

I think Trump's level of 2020 GOP support will be reasonably dependent upon the mid-terms, and his polling subsequent to them.

Nice catch. Must be that Mensa-level intelligence at work, huh?

Why wouldn't the GOP endorse Trump? He's been rather disastrous thus far and has succeeded really in only dividing his own party and preventing the GOP for making any big gains it could have otherwise made when in control of Congress and the WH. He's not a good president in the least, and the GOP's own leadership has little love for him. But opposing him may hurt the brand more than dumping Trump, so they will likely just suffer through it.

Oh, I dunno...

Might just be because of a tremendously improved economy, stock market exploding higher and higher, wages, bonuses, employment up better than ever in our history across sectors, race and genders, domestic companies returning in droves, foreign companies coming here, he battles for the American worker like nobody before ...for starters.

Pulled us out of a disastrous money- power grab global climate scam, put our NATO allies on notice to start ponying up their fair share, has draw red lines and followed thru, twice, presided over a military that could, finaly, actually name its enemies with proper ROEs. Is renegotiating, holding our trading partners to reciprocal practices instead of just letting us ge clobbered ( screwed ) incessantly, has taken on the bad actors in our government, taking them down, draining the flailing smoke filled room, back alley gators who are, in many cases choosing not to run so we can get some new, fresh, hopefully more patriotic types back into the seats of power...

Probably will be the impetus denuking the Korean peninsula.

He has taken on a corrupt and morally lopsided media and beat them at every turn and in hilarious and entertaining fashion...fun fun fun. Awww, are our feelings hurt when he tweets, those tweet treats sending this same train wreck of "journalism" into one faint worthy tizzy after another just by tossing one in one direction....woof woof blitzer over here, yap yap yap Steltzer there, oooouugh oooouuuhgn java joe licking his wounds everywhere...

Harvard study? 93% negative to positive coverage yet higher in the polls than Obama at the same period.

Whats not to like? I mean if you arent a partisan and are one who actually, truly loves America, our country? This is a joyful ride after the ho hum obominible slenderman interregnum make the comparison a stark contrast. Not black and white, but rather blue in the face and... true red blooded Americans.

Last edited:
Oh, I dunno...

Might just be because of a tremendously improved economy, stock market exploding higher and higher, wages, bonuses, employment up better than ever in our history across sectors, race and genders, domestic companies returning in droves, foreign companies coming here, he battles for the American worker like nobody before ...for starters.

Pulled us out of a disastrous money- power grab global climate scam, put our NATO allies on notice to start ponying up their fair share, has draw red lines and followed thru, twice, presided over a military that could, finaly, actually name its enemies with proper ROEs. Is renegotiating, holding our trading partners to reciprocal practices instead of just letting us ge clobbered ( screwed ) incessantly, has taken on the bad actors in our government, taking them down, draining the flailing smoke filled room, back alley gators who are, in many cases choosing not to run so we can get some new, fresh, hopefully more patriotic types back into the seats of power...

Probably will be the impetus denuking the Korean peninsula.

He has taken on a corrupt and morally lopsided media and beat them at every turn and in hilarious and entertaining fashion...fun fun fun. Awww, are our feelings hurt when he tweets, those tweet treats sending this same train wreck of "journalism" into one faint worthy tizzy after another just by tossing one in one direction....woof woof blitzer over here, yap yap yap Steltzer there, oooouugh oooouuuhgn java joe licking his wounds everywhere...

Harvard study? 93% negative to positive coverage yet higher in the polls than Obama at the same period.

Whats not to like? I mean if you arent a partisan and are one who actually, truly loves America, our country? This is a joyful ride after the ho hum obominible slenderman interregnum make the comparison a stark contrast. Not black and whie, but rather blue in the face and... red.

That's some good propaganda. We don't have companies "returning in droves", it's still cheaper to produce out of country. Trump had the benefit of being President during a big jump, but the market seems to drop at every recent decision he makes. We're going to have one of the largest deficits ever thanks to the out of control spending. His EPA chief cannot seem to not spend horrible amounts of money while stripping the EPA down to nothing. He has cost the US huge in international diplomacy and influence. Expanding our wars, but announces all our attacks ahead of time so they have virtually no effect. He cannot seem to keep anyone on his cabinet for any long amount of time. He's divided the GOP, and we'll see what happens in the midterms to the GOP control of Congress due to him.

He cannot help but be embarrassing at every turn, under investigate, even his lawyers are under investigation. One of the highest unfavorable ratings ever.

There's not much to like about this travesty of an administration. The only people who are really happy are the hyper-partisans who would never see reality for what it is.

It is not unusual to have a primary challenge, and it is not unusual to have the left make it sound like a coup. That is the way it works around here. How soon people forget politics is little more than a dog fight.

There are things at play. Mueller's thing was timed to ripen in the primaries to as to cause Republican maximum chaos. (Look for his report in September). But the Clinton Constellation of Crimes investigation is getting it's legs and will be timed to ripen in time for 2020 to cause Democrat maximum chaos.

IMO all the Republican gaming is just for show so as to not to kick off the Special Fisherman for The Clinton Constellation of Crimes too early.

Yes, he'll run again. No, I won't support him in 2020 either, unless he does a complete about face (don't see that happening) and starts to act like an adult. The GOP in the end will end up supporting him, as bad as he is and as much as he is ruining their party, because they have no choice.

I don't care who he is I don't want an 80 year old in the Whitehouse.
Guess I'm an agist.

That's some good propaganda. We don't have companies "returning in droves", it's still cheaper to produce out of country. Trump had the benefit of being President during a big jump, but the market seems to drop at every recent decision he makes. We're going to have one of the largest deficits ever thanks to the out of control spending. His EPA chief cannot seem to not spend horrible amounts of money while stripping the EPA down to nothing. He has cost the US huge in international diplomacy and influence. Expanding our wars, but announces all our attacks ahead of time so they have virtually no effect. He cannot seem to keep anyone on his cabinet for any long amount of time. He's divided the GOP, and we'll see what happens in the midterms to the GOP control of Congress due to him.

He cannot help but be embarrassing at every turn, under investigate, even his lawyers are under investigation. One of the highest unfavorable ratings ever.

There's not much to like about this travesty of an administration. The only people who are really happy are the hyper-partisans who would never see reality for what it is.
Question: Does one have a choice of colors when you initally acquire your bubble?

Its hard to debate someone who refuses to even minimally acknowledge that which is happening in tne world of reality all around them...but outside the opaque bubble.

A slice of Trump

https://investorplace.com/2017/01/10-companies-bringing-jobs-back-to-america/

This, however, is a story from slenderman's overwhelming numbets advantage

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-u-s-to-dodge-taxes/?utm_term=.cb0c1c7dd37b

Agreed. I dont like the huge OMNIBUS spending, either. So we agree. With Obama draining and emasculating our military over 8 years, understanding the world has no replacement, no comparable stand in, so not an option that we can ever even appear weak enough that those others in our regretably hard world, wherein there is no outward demand yet no shortage of incrediblly predatory types, may THINK they might take the risk testing the paper tigers, a weakened America.

I know, or I should know, that the only real threat to the world now is the Trumpster, right? My world should understand that spending money on more important things should have priority. We have yet, you will note to disband our border patrols, think of eliminating that budget, though we cant really fire anyone in govt, but no more checkpoints, no vehicle purchases, office or detainment space purchased or leased. That saving we could spend on welcoming more illegal immigrants. Along those same lines, we should just pay life guards on jet skiis to patrol our shores...no need for a coast guard. And since all the illegals become valedictorian prom king queen types who, almost without fail going right into our military to serve and protecting us all from the more criminal native population, ourselves, since no illegals ever ever rape, nor bring drugs across the border, never form nationwide networks of gangs...this welcoming is where money is sorely lacking.

Tell you what...I am damned proud of the way our President is conducting the work of the people, US. It certainly wont be Trumps fault, it was almost without fail a failure of GOP leadeship in Congress, slow moving to do nothing but obstruct types that need leave, drain themselves, we are tired, out here :2wave:, of promises nearly always unfilled, except by Trump, yet those were promises made and we already delivered on our end of the bagain...

But fortunately many are choosing not to run. Thank you, probably the most helpful and patriotic thing theyve done in the last year.

Which color is your, just curious.

Back
Top Bottom