• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump commutes sentence of Alice Marie Johnson

And thanks for your extremely cogent response!

To be quite honest, I too am vehemently against the WoD. My purpose with my earlier bullet points was not to necessarily argue against Johnson being commuted; that's a fair discussion to have. Instead, I wanted to try to bring to light the details of her conviction, because on the surface it made no sense in the context it was widely portrayed in the media and on our board.

But I pretty much agree with your entire post. What Nixon started, Reagan personified, and since then it's gone even more downhill since then. Probably nothing has done more to shred the Constitution in so many ways, than the WoD. It's hideous. It's a war on the Constitution & the American People.

I just don't want to hear how poor innocent little Ms. Johnson got caught-up because she was broke. I've been broke, too.

BTW Howard, are you aware of Portugal's decriminalization policy? And the excellent results they're getting from decriminalization? Wiki or Google if you aren't. It's pretty phenomenal.

I wasn't aware of that but I have every intention of researching it. It's sounds amazing -- and like something we could use here! Thank you.

BTW Howard, are you aware of Portugal's decriminalization policy? And the excellent results they're getting from decriminalization? Wiki or Google if you aren't. It's pretty phenomenal.

Another side that I don't believe has been addressed is the astounding cost of keeping a prisoner.

Just in the state of California
It costs an average of about $71,000 per year to incarcerate an inmate in prison in California.

$71,000 a year. Crap, you could give her $40,000 to live on and save the taxpayers $31,000.

If people want to do the drugs and shorten their lives who are we to tell them no.

We sure as hell don't press charges against Burger King for selling this guy a burger.

dikke_man[1].jpg

Legislative Analyst's Office

I wasn't aware of that but I have every intention of researching it. It's sounds amazing -- and like something we could use here! Thank you.
It's truly Amazing!

Crime - down!

STDs & HIV - down!

Drug related deaths - down!

Rehab and treatment programs - up!

Literally all drug use pathologies have seen a major turn for the good.

They fully decriminalized all personal drug use. All of it. Everything. Seriously. Personal drug use is now handled administratively. And they set the personal possession limits relatively high. Then they took the money they were spending on criminal justice expenditure, and put it into medical and harm reduction programs. This took effect in 2001.

Here's a Wiki link to get you started, but I strongly suggest doing further research. And of course, spread the word!

(Wikipedia) Drug Policy of Portugal

Another side that I don't believe has been addressed is the astounding cost of keeping a prisoner.

Just in the state of California

$71,000 a year. Crap, you could give her $40,000 to live on and save the taxpayers $31,000.

If people want to do the drugs and shorten their lives who are we to tell them no.

We sure as hell don't press charges against Burger King for selling this guy a burger.

View attachment 67233994

Legislative Analyst's Office
If you're interested, I'll leave you with the same link to Portugal's drug policy, that I left for Howard above.

I think you'll be taken back by it (in a good way). I sure was, but I've been following Portugal in this matter since before the resolution ever passed in 2001

(Wikipedia) Drug Policy Of Portugal

(there's plenty more excellent sources too, obviously)

It's truly Amazing!

Crime - down!

STDs & HIV - down!

Drug related deaths - down!

Rehab and treatment programs - up!

Literally all drug use pathologies have seen a major turn for the good.

They fully decriminalized all personal drug use. All of it. Everything. Seriously. Personal drug use is now handled administratively. And they set the personal possession limits relatively high. Then they took the money they were spending on criminal justice expenditure, and put it into medical and harm reduction programs. This took effect in 2001.

Here's a Wiki link to get you started, but I strongly suggest doing further research. And of course, spread the word!

(Wikipedia) Drug Policy of Portugal

Wow. It seems as though when Portugal quit trying to force people to behave in a certain way -- people stopped rebelling and behaving in the forbidden way. I read a Guardian article -- even CocaCola was banned for awhile. That's control gone awry for sure.

Now, even Portugal's massive opioid problem is way, way down -- proof that the new policy is a success. That's one of the US' biggest drug issues right now - opioids.

What an amazing turn of events for Portugal. Thanks for sharing that!

You mean Johnson or Kardashian?

Was it a private conference Trump had with Kardashian?
I have no idea, but I bet it didn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom