• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump commutes Blagojevich's sentence and grants clemency to 10 others

If you do not understand that our country and government is threatened by the sale of Senate seats there's not much I can say to change that.

Whoa pahdner! Where did I say that? I stated I was more than happy seeing dirty dems go up the river. My issue is the inbalance of justice. Victimless crime geta 14 years...lefties object to a 10 year sentence being served....Rapist of 14 yr old girl gets no prison time none of you have said a peep. I am interested in why. And so help me if one more person makes up their own definition of victimless crime I will dust off my iggy button that I promised not to use.

Whoa pahdner! Where did I say that? I stated I was more than happy seeing dirty dems go up the river. My issue is the inbalance of justice. Victimless crime geta 14 years...lefties object to a 10 year sentence being served....Rapist of 14 yr old girl gets no prison time none of you have said a peep. I am interested in why. And so help me if one more person makes up their own definition of victimless crime I will dust off my iggy button that I promised not to use.

Americans were the victims of Blagojevich's sale of a Senate seat. You base your argument on the fact they were not listed in the charge?

Eptstein, pal of many in high places, got off the first time quite leniently. That was an imbalance of justice. Many frat boys get off quite leniently. That is an imbalance of justice.
Our culture often excuses sexual abuse of women as "boys will be boys" and "just locker room talk." That is an imbalance of justice.

None of that has a thing to do with the so called severity of Blagojevich's sentence. IMO, making an example of what exactly abuse of power looks like was a good idea on the part of the judge. Now that some so called leaders would like to throw that kind of action into some gray area we should all take a good look.

Americans were the victims of Blagojevich's sale of a Senate seat. You base your argument on the fact they were not listed in the charge?

Eptstein, pal of many in high places, got off the first time quite leniently. That was an imbalance of justice. Many frat boys get off quite leniently. That is an imbalance of justice.
Our culture often excuses sexual abuse of women as "boys will be boys" and "just locker room talk." That is an imbalance of justice.

None of that has a thing to do with the so called severity of Blagojevich's sentence. IMO, making an example of what exactly abuse of power looks like was a good idea on the part of the judge. Now that some so called leaders would like to throw that kind of action into some gray area we should all take a good look.

False. There were no victims in the Blago case. He attempted to gain personally from selling a senate seat. He was never successful as he was caught and was subsequently found guilty of his attempted corruption. These are facts and not open to conjecture or debate. This is the last time I will respond to anyone denying facts and the textbook law definitions used routinely.

False. There were no victims in the Blago case. He attempted to gain personally from selling a senate seat. He was never successful as he was caught and was subsequently found guilty of his attempted corruption. These are facts and not open to conjecture or debate. This is the last time I will respond to anyone denying facts and the textbook law definitions used routinely.

When government officials abuse their power, the American people are the victims. I do not require a textbook definition to understand that. You can build your defense on the textbook all you'd like. It is very helpful in obfuscating the idea of abuse of power.

When government officials abuse their power, the American people are the victims. I do not require a textbook definition to understand that. You can build your defense on the textbook all you'd like. It is very helpful in obfuscating the idea of abuse of power.
Sorry, this is now a facebook level argument. I expect better on a political forum. Have a nice day. Please don't quote me further on this.

Pardoning Blagojevich serves a dual purpose for trump:

1. Blago is trump's buddy from Apprentice;
2. Serves as an appearance of consistency for when trump pardon's Stone.

Mostly, it's about #2.

He didn’t pardon Blagojevich.

Sorry, this is now a facebook level argument. I expect better on a political forum. Have a nice day. Please don't quote me further on this.

Guess when you don't like the message, you attack the messenger. That's fine, I doubt I will be missing much. Have a good one too!

Guess when you don't like the message, you attack the messenger. That's fine, I doubt I will be missing much. Have a good one too!

No not at all. As I explained very clearly, I just have 0 tolerance for those who deny facts. I expect better talent from those on a PF.

No not at all. As I explained very clearly, I just have 0 tolerance for those who deny facts. I expect better talent from those on a PF.

Truly, I am sorry you do not agree with my statement that politicians abusing their power victimize the American people. Any time you decide to stop responding is fine with me.

Yes thats defined as a victimless crime. Was your name on the case docket?

So the next time bribery results in safety regulations being overlooked and it kills someone...victimless, right?

God damn that's stupid. When a public official is for sale it hurts government, it hurts representation, it hurts everyone that official is supposed to represent.

So the next time bribery results in safety regulations being overlooked and it kills someone...victimless, right?

God damn that's stupid. When a public official is for sale it hurts government, it hurts representation, it hurts everyone that official is supposed to represent.
Depends on the case. In this case there was factually no victims. It's not open to debate. The facts are facts.

Depends on the case. In this case there was factually no victims. It's not open to debate. The facts are facts.

The **** it isn't.

The facts are Blago tried to sell the seat, had he succeeded that representative would not have been responsive to the needs of Illinois citizens. That harms them and in the eyes of the law would give standing.

For those of you who like to trot out the pony of "but judges release rapists and murderers after only a couple of years!"...

If you believe in the "rule of law", or believe that illegals should be jailed for crossing our borders or have a sense of justice and feel that quote is correct and you feel outraged that those criminals are being let out early, then you should also feel outraged that Trump is not allowing justice to prevail in this matter by commuting the sentence.

It is about serving the time handed to you over breaking the law, whatever that law was, right?

Talk about being a hypocrite: I mean...if this was Hilary and she was jailed over the emails and then her sentence was commuted...you would be screaming bloody murder.

Please....the guy got 14 years....here in Ma..lefty judges let violent rapists out in two, armed robbers out in.....oh wait...we are lucky if they get even one year.

More rabid right talk radio rants??? I doubt you will but perhaps a few facts to back your 'leftie' whine....

Once again you side with a democrat, you are making a habit of this. How odd.

He was the senior politician of his state who tried to sell a US Senate seat to the highest bidder. He is the poster boy for the 'swamp' tRump claims to be draining. He was an arrogant putz while trying to sell the appointment. When it suits the rabid right violating the public trust is a hanging offense- well unless that skunk appeared on the Apprentice... :roll:

But that apparently is a plus to The Don.... :peace

Hahah yes...dems:
Blago sells a senate seat.....14 YEARS! Wait he only served 10!?!?!?...CRISIS!
Violent rapist= its bad for society to punish them...its not their fault. He should only serve two years at the most!......if longer....CRISIS!

Maybe you can help me. I have been searching on DP and trying to find your numerous posts decrying the unjust sentencing of poor Americans and black and brown Americans but so far I haven't found them.

You are not presenting facts, only an opinion.

He committed a serious, serious abuse of power.

Selling a senate seat?

If you ask me 14 years wasn’t enough for betraying the people of his state and attempting to disenfranchise them, that’s not victimless regardless of what your petty attempt to defend Trumps actions here are.

Position of power and authority link g his pockets with bribes for appointments.

In other words, he cannot claim he didn't know better, and grossly abused the power of his office for personal gain.

Personally, I think anyone in a position of authority convited of a felony should serve a minimum of twice the statutory maximum. To send a strong deterrent message.

Conservatives used to like sending messages like that.

Now, not so much.
Well... until Democrats are back in charge....

Wow, people don't even know what Blagojevich was convicted of. It included extortion. Victimless my ass. Blagojevich's crimes: 20 charges, 3 schemes and a lie
(Chicago Tribune).

Anything that had Obama associated with it is something he wants to spoil. But even Republicans object: Illinois GOP House delegation blasts Blagojevich commutation: 'The face of public corruption' (The Hill).

Again, the only thing bringing up the Blago/Seat-selling attempt would do would be to shine a positive light on Obama - the fact that he graduated from Senator to POTUS. Blago trying to sell the seat had nothing to do with Obama - that was all on Blago.

The **** it isn't.

The facts are Blago tried to sell the seat, had he succeeded that representative would not have been responsive to the needs of Illinois citizens. That harms them and in the eyes of the law would give standing.

Sorry, you are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts. Fact is fact. Blago was sentenced for "attempted" corruption. There was no victim. Literally.

Maybe you can help me. I have been searching on DP and trying to find your numerous posts decrying the unjust sentencing of poor Americans and black and brown Americans but so far I haven't found them.
Oh thats because I don't sort justice on how much money they have or if they are black. Did you find anything regarding mccabe and flynn? I think that was this forum but I could be wrong. It would be an interesting freudian slip if you didn't see posts about white people and you only focused on "poor", "black" and "brown".

Back
Top Bottom