• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump admin slaps solar, wind operators with retroactive rent bills

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Trump admin slaps solar, wind operators with retroactive rent bills - Reuters

(Reuters) - The Trump administration has ended a two-year rent holiday for solar and wind projects operating on federal lands, handing them whopping retroactive bills at a time the industry is struggling with the fallout of the coronavirus outbreak, according to company officials.

The move represents a multi-million-dollar hit to an industry that has already seen installation projects canceled or delayed by the global health crisis, which has cut investment and dimmed the demand outlook for power.

It also clashes with broader government efforts in the United States to shield companies from the worst of the economic turmoil through federal loans, waived fees, tax breaks and trimmed regulatory enforcement.

U.S. power plant owner Avangrid Inc, majority owned by Spain’s Iberdrola, received a bill for more than $3 million for two years of rent on its 131-megawatt Tule wind project on federal land near San Diego, according to spokesman Paul Copleman.
==========================================================
Coal is on the way out & now solar/wind renewables can't catch a break in the pandemic, where power demand has dropped. And in some states if you put solar panels on your roof to get free of the grid, the utility bills you anyway.

There are a number of anti-green initiatives being run out by this corrupt administration under the cover of COVID. I think that might be a good new thread, actually. Listing all the corruption being run up "under the cover of COVID." I'm on it!

Last edited:
The right-wing obsession with the fossil fuel industry is staggering.

Eight more months.

Eight more months.

Eight more months.

Eight more months.
Eight more months of hell.

Not surprising, Trump has gone full in on anything that benefits fossil fuel at the expense of everyone else.

Eight more months.

Eight more months.

Do you say the mantra on the inhale or the exhale? I used to count breaths on the exhale myself but I can understand why some use a mantra.

Eco nuts are mad because their beloved green energy projects can no longer squat on government lands and actually have to *gasp* pay rent just like everyone else? Boo hoo...

Eco nuts are mad because their beloved green energy projects can no longer squat on government lands and actually have to *gasp* pay rent just like everyone else? Boo hoo...

No comment on the government retroactively billing private businesses without oversight?

Eight more months.

Eight more months.

It works. Green energy doesn't. Green energy companies have been getting cash subsidies and corporate welfare for decades. They can pay their ****ing rent.

Not surprising, Trump has gone full in on anything that benefits fossil fuel at the expense of everyone else.

Remember that when you have supper this evening.

It works. Green energy doesn't. Green energy companies have been getting cash subsidies and corporate welfare for decades. They can pay their ****ing rent.

And fossil fuels... haven't?

And fossil fuels... haven't?

Cash? No. Green companies would go under without corporate welfare that you pay for. I thought you all hated corporate welfare.

I've argued before that this administration is the most corrupt in US history. They are also the scummiest.

Does the same regulations apply to all the oil rigs, a d cattle ranchers on public land???

Cash? No. Green companies would go under without corporate welfare that you pay for. I thought you all hated corporate welfare.

A million dollar check and a million dollar cut to tax burden have the same effect on the bottom line.

A million dollar check and a million dollar cut to tax burden have the same effect on the bottom line.

One is a cash subsidie and one isn't. Without welfare, the green companies wouldn't exist. When did you become so fond of corporate welfare?

I've argued before that this administration is the most corrupt in US history. They are also the scummiest.

Yeah! Making those companies who are making billions with corporate welfare having to actually pay their bills! Orange man bad!!!

One is a cash subsidie and one isn't. Without welfare, the green companies wouldn't exist. When did you become so fond of corporate welfare?

I'm aware that they aren't technically the same thing. Who cares? The bottom line is the bottom line.

Solar power is more worthy of subsidy than coal.

I'm aware that they aren't technically the same thing. Who cares? The bottom line is the bottom line.

Solar power is more worthy of subsidy than coal.

Ahh! You're all for corporate welfare as long as it's something you like.

The CEO at First Solar says thank you for his $5 million sign-on bonus.

Nice Pay Package for First Solar’s New CEO | Greentech Media

From the speed of your response, I can tell you didn't even glance at the article. It contains information that doesn't fit your world view.

Energy analysts have made the point again and again that fossil fuels, not renewable energy, most benefit from supportive public policy. Yet this fact, so inconvenient to the conservative worldview, never seems to sink in to the energy debate in a serious way. The supports offered to fossil fuels are so old and familiar, they fade into the background. It is support offered to challengers — typically temporary, fragmentary, and politically uncertain support — that is forever in the spotlight.

The profits of US fossil fuels are built on a foundation of government assistance.
Friendly policies keep US oil and coal afloat far more than we thought - Vox

Ahh! You're all for corporate welfare as long as it's something you like.

Is there somewhere in particular you got the idea "Nothing should ever be funded by the government ever" is one of my beliefs?

All the right whingers barking here about green energy paying rent, I wonder what they were saying when that jackass Bundy was loudly refusing to pay his BLM bill for grazing his cattle on public land.

Back
Top Bottom