• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Troubles at Spirit Airlines

longview

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Jeez. What is it with airlines recently?
I think Spirit was a special case anyway. I have flown on some real discount carriers, Ryanair, Easyjet, ect,
and Spirit is below those.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-ca...-airlines-105010090--abc-news-topstories.html
I have flown Spirit Airlines, Once, hopefully never again. They seem to run a fairly adversarial operation.
The prices are low, but there are so many exceptions, many people get very upset at the counter.
Add in canceled flights to an already irritated crowd, and fights erupt.

Agreed. The world's worst airline experience. It was a subway car with wings (advertising placards on the overheads).

It is no frills (none)... at a bare bone price. When we arrived at our destination, this 6'3" guy had bare bones from my knees rubbing on the seat in front of me for 2 hours.

I'm interested to know why exactly the flights were canceled. Was it because the unions flight capitans went on strike or refused to fly unless certian grevinces were resolved? Or was it the company trying to cancel flights to hurt the capitans unions barganing position?
Either way the airlines could have cancled later flights and gotten all the people who were flying say in the next 2 hours a seat on different planes to help those people out. The people who decided to throw a fit and fight should be arrested.

Its always a bad combination when you have a large group of poor people who are treated badly and get screwed. They always tend to riot and fight.

I am still waiting for the airline that is by far the cheapest...but what it does is puts you and your luggage in a plastic box with lots of air holes (and a reserve oxygen supply), a couple of large bread rolls, a large bottle of water, a pillow and then slides you into every spare space that is pressurized in the aircraft.
Need to go to the washroom? Tough...you just have to hold it (or wear an adult diaper) - though no flights are longer than 2 hours.
They could probably stuff double or triple the amount of people in per flight. And they could save on flight attendants.

I would fly 'em. Absolutely dirt cheap, no waiting for luggage and I could sleep on every flight.

Of course, those with claustrophobia need not apply. And I doubt the FAA would allow it. But maybe one day.

;)

Last edited:
I am still waiting for the airline that is by far the cheapest...but what it does is puts you and your luggage in a plastic box with lots of air holes (and a reserve oxygen supply), a couple of large bread rolls, a large bottle of water, a pillow and then slides you into every spare space that is pressurized in the aircraft.
Need to go to the washroom? Tough...you just have to hold it (or wear an adult diaper) - though no flights are longer than 2 hours.
They could probably stuff double or triple the amount of people in per flight. And they could save on flight attendants.

I would fly 'em. Absolutely dirt cheap, no waiting for luggage and I could sleep on every flight.

Of course, those with claustrophobia need not apply. And I doubt the FAA would allow it. But maybe one day.

;)
Spirit is getting close, only they don't clean the small space you are stuffed into between uses!

I'm interested to know why exactly the flights were canceled. Was it because the unions flight capitans went on strike or refused to fly unless certian grevinces were resolved? Or was it the company trying to cancel flights to hurt the capitans unions barganing position?
Either way the airlines could have cancled later flights and gotten all the people who were flying say in the next 2 hours a seat on different planes to help those people out. The people who decided to throw a fit and fight should be arrested.

Its always a bad combination when you have a large group of poor people who are treated badly and get screwed. They always tend to riot and fight.

They are in a labor dispute and their pilots are no longer under contract, as such they cannot force them to work overtime to make sure all flights have a crew. Forced overtime to meet flight obligations was actually in their contract.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-ca...-airlines-105010090--abc-news-topstories.html
I have flown Spirit Airlines, Once, hopefully never again. They seem to run a fairly adversarial operation.
The prices are low, but there are so many exceptions, many people get very upset at the counter.

I agree. I will never fly them again no matter how low the come on rate is.

I bought eight tickets on a flight from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale and paid for them myself under my name and credit card. When we showed up I was told my wife and I had tickets for the flight but no actual seat. I asked how one could have a ticket without a seat and they told me I did not go online and buy a seat and pay the extra seat fee. I told them that was fine with me and just direct me to the standing area on the place reserved for people with tickets but no seats. Long story short it was a real pain in the ass.

We eventually got on after I made a stink about their policies but the sheer insanity of it - a ticket to ride but no seat to sit in - turned me off forever from Spirit.

Jeez. What is it with airlines recently?

Due to advanced computer programming, they now have the ability to almost always fill a plane. The one plane was full as usual when they beat up that doctor to make room for a flight crew. In economic terms, the system has zero elasticity.

It's competitive as hell and they have it dialed in so tight, it's like ripples in a pond. How much is a three person flight crew being paid to sit and wait for a plane, when they can just kick some poor sucker out the door face first on the tarmac, and save that money? Their logic: X dollars paying a flight crew, vs three people on a three hundred dollar ticket, and few options.

Computers have transformed customers into digits.

They are in a labor dispute and their pilots are no longer under contract, as such they cannot force them to work overtime to make sure all flights have a crew. Forced overtime to meet flight obligations was actually in their contract.

I work for a company and union. When our contract expired and the labor union spent two years negotiating a new contract, we still work over time as needed because we still went off the old contract until a new one was agreed opon. Looks like they could have too but chose to make a statement and force public opinion to help there labor dispute.

Spirit is terrible, trust me I am an airline veteran. Do not fly Spirit, Allegiant or Frontier if you don't want hassles. Do not fly Allegiant because they have very shoddy maintenance.

I fly free on my airline, so I can put up with anything because.......I fly free.

Spirit sucks. Once is enough. That's pretty bad when most airlines suck. Spirit sucks worse than the rest.

Southwest remains my favorite domestic airlines.

I work for a company and union. When our contract expired and the labor union spent two years negotiating a new contract, we still work over time as needed because we still went off the old contract until a new one was agreed opon. Looks like they could have too but chose to make a statement and force public opinion to help there labor dispute.

Here pilots were purposely not showing up for work.
A judge finally ordered the pilots back to work and to stop
Not showing up.

There was a huge massive brawl at Spirit terminal at one airport.

Spirit is horrible same with alligient and other discount flights.
I usually fly southwest or united and have never had an issue.

Here pilots were purposely not showing up for work.
A judge finally ordered the pilots back to work and to stop
Not showing up.

There was a huge massive brawl at Spirit terminal at one airport.

Spirit is horrible same with alligient and other discount flights.
I usually fly southwest or united and have never had an issue.

Of course Spirit is horrible thats how they can offer discounted flights. Brawls are just stupid people in this damn world

Airlines have been acting like jackasses for decades.

I'm all for companies making a profit, but when they keep putting more seats on the plane, closer together, it becomes not much more than a cattle car.

Even before 911 the terminal was an unpleasant place to be, but after 911 it is a high pressure situation. I seldom airline anymore.

Back
Top Bottom