• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Town Renames "Good Friday" for the sake of "Cultural Sensitivity"

Status
Not open for further replies.
And conversely speaking, why is calling the equally secular and religious holiday known as Christmas for centuries Christmas causing the small but vocal minority triggered by that to lose their what? Beliefs? Minds? Inner peace? Since those who are triggered by the name of the Christmas holiday are in the vast minority in this country, why should the rest of the majority be held hostage to the psychological issues of these anti Christmas types? Who are actually the people claiming to be losing something by calling Christmas Christmas?

The entire thing is, IMO, stupid. Some people will say that by government calling it Christmas, it constitutes some form of official endorsement. I don't really buy into it, but that's the argument. But in the end, government could call it Festivus, and it's not a big deal so long as there is no law that would force you personally say Festivus and not Christmas.

In the end, I don't know why we're wasting time with it, but everyone apparently needs to feel important. Either way, it's not really a big deal.

They could have renamed Christmas as 'Winter Holiday' at the same time and killed 3 birds with one stone.

:lol:

Some already do. I'm fed up with the secular BS and will continue to call things by their proper name. Same for places.

Candlestick Park will always be called that by me, even thou the bastards bull dozed it.

As it relates to this topic, this seems to be the government definition of government recognized holiday. Must the government call it Christmas or your beliefs are being thrown out?

There is a breaking point, but that should be along the lines of something real. Like if the government forbade people from saying Christmas in general. That's a bridge too far, but it deals with government force against free speech. The government calling something Winter Break or whatever in no way, shape, or form exerts government force against you that would prevent you from saying Christmas, right?

So this is all ado about nothing. Some jerks don't want Christmas, other jerks want Christmas, but in the end it doesn't matter what the government calls it so long as you're free to refer to it and practice it as you see fit.
Well of course the answer is that Christmas has been called Christmas, here and abroad for hundreds and hundreds of years. Why should not only the government but the populace at large have to quit calling the bloody holiday what it has always been called? Are you trying to argue that calling the holiday what it actually is, which is not a "break" but a holiday with one of the richest histories of any holiday on the planet supposed to be the government exerting force against someone, right? That's ridiculous. And of course this is something to do with something. If in fact it "does not matter" what the holiday is "called" as long as you are free to celebrate it how you wish, in this case by getting Good Friday or Columbus Day as a paid holiday? Please use your own logic and apply it to the argument you are making instead of expecting the rest of us only to apply it to the small but vocally triggered malcontents?

The entire thing is, IMO, stupid. Some people will say that by government calling it Christmas, it constitutes some form of official endorsement. I don't really buy into it, but that's the argument. But in the end, government could call it Festivus, and it's not a big deal so long as there is no law that would force you personally say Festivus and not Christmas.

In the end, I don't know why we're wasting time with it, but everyone apparently needs to feel important. Either way, it's not really a big deal.
Sadly none the above is anything buy your subjective opinion. Great for you that you think the whole thing is stupid, I agree. It seems that all this big deal being made is to appease triggered malcontents. And of course the limits of the things that minority wants done with, to and about Christmas is hardly related just to what it is called.

But again, why are you focusing on Christmas alone? The subject of this thread is the about the so called damage being done in the name of 'cultural sensitivity' by calling holidays the names of what the holiday in fact observes? In this case the ones being 'culturally insensitive' are the ones demanding we drop our our traditional and cultural observances because they are somehow being harmed by them. It is in fact the opposite of culturally sensitive, more like culturally ignorant and dismissive. Send those selfish twats a box of Kleenex and tell them they are a few centuries too late to change all of that. Well not without the help of some city councils and government bodies.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm waiting for someone to claim that Black Friday is discrimination and insist it be renamed Go buy worthless crap dy.

Black Friday isn't a holiday it's just the day after Thanksgiving when merchants try to sell a pile of their useless junk to those dumb enough to buy it.

Well of course the answer is that Christmas has been called Christmas, here and abroad for hundreds and hundreds of years. Why should not only the government but the populace at large have to quit calling the bloody holiday what it has always been called? Are you trying to argue that calling the holiday what it actually is, which is not a "break" but a holiday with one of the richest histories of any holiday on the planet supposed to be the government exerting force against someone, right? That's ridiculous. And of course this is something to do with something. If in fact it "does not matter" what the holiday is "called" as long as you are free to celebrate it how you wish, in this case by getting Good Friday or Columbus Day as a paid holiday? Please use your own logic and apply it to the argument you are making instead of expecting the rest of us only to apply it to the small but vocally triggered malcontents?

The populace at large does not have to quit calling it Christmas. There is no law that prevents you from saying Merry Christmas. Let's not go down the road of absurd hyperbole.

You also probably don't want to get into the "history" of Christmas, else you'll find that it was actually usurped from the Pagan's Winter Solstice celebration.

The populace at large does not have to quit calling it Christmas. There is no law that prevents you from saying Merry Christmas. Let's not go down the road of absurd hyperbole.

You also probably don't want to get into the "history" of Christmas, else you'll find that it was actually usurped from the Pagan's Winter Solstice celebration.

I just pointed you to the fact that Christmas is both a secular and religious holiday. I'm not only well aware of the history of the holiday, but quite conversant about it. Now that we have addressed that redundancy, why are you focusing on Christmas alone? The subject of this thread is the about the so called damage being done in the name of 'cultural sensitivity' by calling holidays the names of what the holiday in fact observes. In this case the ones being 'culturally insensitive' are the ones demanding we drop our traditional and cultural observances because they are somehow being harmed by them. It is in fact the opposite of culturally sensitive, more like culturally ignorant and dismissive. Send those selfish twats a box of Kleenex and tell them they are a few centuries too late to change all of that. Well not without the help of some city councils and government bodies. Great for you that you think the whole thing is stupid, I agree. This "big deal" is being made in order to appease a vastly small but triggered minority of social malcontents. No thanks. And of course the limit of the things/changes that minority demands be done with to and about Christmas is hardly related just to what it is called. To pretend otherwise is utterly disingenuous.

Last edited:
They're not giving to another. They're removing the favoritism enjoyed by Christianity and making it inclusive for all. Spring holiday doesn't exclude you, but now it also doesn't exclude anyone else.

Why do you think a loss of special favors means those special favors are going to another?

Christians don't recognize Spring or Fall? Really? As a Catholic, I find this news quite shocking.

How are Christians being excluded?

Of course it is. That's absurd.
Just because Christians have been bossing around others for decades, that doesn't mean they aren't bossing others around.
That argument makes no sense.

Because you're wanting to impose your religious views on others. Just because it's how it may have been done for a long time, it doesn't change the fact it is imposing religious views. That argument is ridiculous.

You didn't answer my question about Infallible Pope Day.

The end result is about not endorsing any one religion over another. Just because Christians are losing ONE of the recognized holidays (and only by one town, but we'll extrapolate it out to society at large), it still doesn't change Christmas and Easter are not going anywhere. It doesn't change the fact everything grinds to a halt on the day after Thanksgiving because of Christmas or that everything grinds to a halt in the last week of December for Christmas. It doesn't change the fact so many schools are in recess during Easter week.

You are trying to put forth the idea that Christianity is under attack in America, simply because all of the special privileges and recognition they've always enjoyed are starting to be scaled back. That's just silly.

It would be catering to those who are Christian, for whom the day was originally named. Good Friday is a Christian observance, so it excludes everyone who is not Christian. By renaming it "Spring Holiday", it now becomes a holiday which can be observed by all people of all faiths (or non-faiths).

Again, this is the problem so many people have with Christians. Christianity has received special privileges in this country for the longest time and now that some efforts are being made to put everyone on an equal footing, Christians think they are being persecuted. Being treated as equal is not being persecuted.

Just because we've been doing something one way for a long time doesn't mean that we have to keep doing it that way forever.

And I respect their decision not to celebrate, or to celebrate something else. Fine by me.

But I do expect to celebrate Christmas, Easter and Columbus Day (even if I do have to work).

One of my points in this discussion is the loss of both culture and history, should this continue. Since the justification is excessive PC correctness bull****,
I see no need to cater to, to to bow to, these changes.

"No one can stop time and/or change."

But you're welcome to keep tilting at windmills.

Just because we've been doing something one way for a long time doesn't mean that we have to keep doing it that way forever.

"No one can stop time and/or change."

But you're welcome to keep tilting at windmills.

Oh lord here come the lazy bromides from Mr. Get Back to Me in 44 years.:roll:

I'm saying that if you really believe in something politically then at some point there should be a breaking point where you refuse to budge.
That point can be quite literally anywhere for someone since it is entirely subjective where it is drawn.

When the government passes a law that banks have to stay closed on a certain day no amount of complaining will change that.

Last edited:
Oh lord here come the lazy bromides from Mr. Get Back to Me in 44 years
.:roll:

Who forces you to read any comments on this forum?

If you don't like my posts you have my permission to ignore them.

"The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen." ~ Tommy Smothers

But he didnt colonize and that makes the difference. We dont celebrate discovery, we celebrate the foundation of our culture.

When Christopher left to go back to Spain and proclaim that he had sailed around the world and found a route to India, he left 50 men to make sure that our culture remained in force in the new land. Those men treated the indigenous people like slaves. They were all executed.

So Chris gets back with more men (dripping with STDs) and asks "where are my people?" Brave says "I don't know." It wasn't until some natives were found to be using knives and tools that had belonged to the dead that Columbus raised a stink.

So our culture was venereal diseased drunken sailors and tyrants. That sounds about right.

When the government passes a law that banks have to stay closed on a certain day no amount of complaining will change that.

That's it! The trade goes elsewhere.

Or when Hillary hands Trump his ass, I guess. Wait and see. :lamo
Yip, these are exactly the lazy bromides (should we call them calling cards?) I was referring to.

Who forces you to read any comments on this forum?

If you don't like my posts you have my permission to ignore them.
Why you do of course, by posting them! Now if one literally spends a great amount of time posting bromides like "get back to me when Hillary has won" and "get back to me in 44 years" ones whines when the bromides/lazy habit get noticed only induce mirth. Why don't you get back to all of us you have passed those bromides off as 'thought' to when you finally get your brain plugged back in?

Last edited:
The argument that the rest of society in the US must 'tap dance' around and extend 'special privileges' to poor malcontents owing to so called "cultural sensitivity" is what holds no water. Certainly some malcontent's bigotry towards Christianity is not actually engaging in sensitivity, rather the opposite. Nor is it being particularly sensitive to the history of this country and Italian Americans to pedantically insist that a holiday named for the first European explorer to discover this country be renamed so as not to require said poor malcontent to 'tap dance' around the rest of us, er our so called religon. No no, we must 'tap dance' around what triggers them. Add to that the fact that in this case the malcontents want to keep getting these days "off" and be paid for them? Now you have hypocrisy added to that pablum too. Since you asked, this country was not founded by Islamic peoples, so of course the chances are pretty strong that rational adults won't think that recognizing only Islamic traditions would be OK. We've gotten pretty far down the rabbit hole in the US of late, but we have not quite reached the level of sheer idiocy you just suggested. Why in 2016 should the rest of society have to 'tap dance' around our cultural history because it triggers malcontent's religious bigotry and hypocrisy? No thanks. You are left weakly arguing that giving employees of a city two paid holidays off, is insisting they tap dance around someone's, anyone's religion. Which is hilarious, only on the internet can you see someone claim being granted a paid holiday off from work is tantamount to asking them to engage in a tap dance. :screwy
Aww, that's cute.
Of course it does! At least, when it comes to the things I like. If it's things I don't like, then yes, it needs to change. But if keeping things the way they are favors my sensibilities, then that's what should be done. And if anything changes which means I don't get my way, then obviously it's everyone else who is being childish.

Right?

Aww, that's cute.
Aw that's as pathetic as it is lazy. I guess I should be glad to you did not manage to really engage yourself much though. Or I'd have to watch you take that paragraph and literally hack it into 50 quote boxes without ever really addressing any of it. Yes, this approach is much less work! :bon_voyag

Last edited:
Removing special privileges is not an attack. It's not that "something" is being removed, as I said. It's that special privileges are being removed. That's not an attack.

Because...you think being treated as equal is an attack? No, that's not a fail at all.

Sure I do. You want favoritism for Christianity over all others.

Also, I'm still awaiting an answer from you. I'll ask the questions again:

Would you be okay with government only recognizing Islamic traditions and culture? Would you be okay with renaming Good Friday Infallible Pope Day?
Huh? It's not ridiculous to rename a holiday. It IS ridiculous to act offended about it and then accuse others of whining.

I didn't propose renaming Columbus Day to Fall Holiday. I'm just pointing out it's logical to do so and the amount of whining about it is absurd.

How does celebrating Christmas by giving time off to EVERYONE favor one religion over another?

Using your example of "what if" the federal holidays were Islamic traditions shows you ignore historic context to the holiday. Now if it was all Islamic holidays, as long as everyone gets the day off, fine. But that is not how the US evolved. If you want different religion holidays, by all means migrate to that country that meets your standards.

I see no need for changes in the US holidays. Bet you take advantage of everyone your business supports. Those who want to be so PC are just hurting the cause. It makes me less tolerant of the PC view.

How does celebrating Christmas by giving time off to EVERYONE favor one religion over another?

Using your example of "what if" the federal holidays were Islamic traditions shows you ignore historic context to the holiday. Now if it was all Islamic holidays, as long as everyone gets the day off, fine. But that is not how the US evolved. If you want different religion holidays, by all means migrate to that country that meets your standards.

I see no need for changes in the US holidays. Bet you take advantage of everyone your business supports. Those who want to be so PC are just hurting the cause. It makes me less tolerant of the PC view.
It doesn't and I agree with you, there is no real need to indulge the triggered malcontents and their defenders who as you can see, don't really have a very logical argument in the first place. ;)

Aw that's as pathetic as it is lazy.
I put in as much effort as I felt your post deserved.
I'm sorry, do other religions celebrate Christmas? I thought that was a holiday specifically to Christians...you know, the time to celebrate the birth of Christ and all that.

Who else celebrates Christmas?

The fact is we take time off at the end of December because it favors Christians. We don't take time off for any other religious observance, only those which are Christian.

Using your example of "what if" the federal holidays were Islamic traditions shows you ignore historic context to the holiday.
No, it demonstrates those who complain about losing Christian privileges would likely be singing a different tune if it wasn't their religion receiving preferential treatment.

I see no need for changes in the US holidays.
I see no reason to get upset about it in either case. I don't have a problem with Good Friday, but I don't have a problem with Spring Holiday either.

See my point? I'm not the one throwing a fit.
Bet you take advantage of everyone your business supports. Those who want to be so PC are just hurting the cause. It makes me less tolerant of the PC view.
I love how "PC" has simply become a boogeyman for "change I don't agree with". It's so amusing.

I put in as much effort as I felt your post deserved.
I'm sorry, do other religions celebrate Christmas? I thought that was a holiday specifically to Christians...you know, the time to celebrate the birth of Christ and all that.

Who else celebrates Christmas?

The fact is we take time off at the end of December because it favors Christians.

No, it demonstrates those who complain about losing Christian privileges would likely be singing a different tune if it wasn't their religion receiving preferential treatment.

I see no reason to get upset about it in either case. I don't have a problem with Good Friday, but I don't have a problem with Spring Holiday either.

See my point? I'm not the one throwing a fit.
I love how "PC" has simply become a boogeyman for "change I don't agree with". It's so amusing.

- If someone is not a Christian, then why take the time off?
You still refuse to accept the historical context on which the holiday was passed into law by Congress.

Seems you have a problem with Christians, yet you will take the time off. You should thank a Christian for the holiday.

PC is just a way for those who don't like how things were in the past to try and force change. No boogeyman. So what makes your view more correct than mine?

Has government passed laws that banks cannot open on certain days? I'm not aware of that.

Some state and local governments passed laws that forced certain businesses could not open on Sundays, or sell beer before noon and such, but these were mostly shot down.

- If someone is not a Christian, then why take the time off?
It's a federal holiday. Government is closed as are most businesses.

What point are you trying to make?

You still refuse to accept the historical context on which the holiday was passed into law by Congress.
Because it's pretty irrelevant to me. I can acknowledge the historical context surrounding the 3/5th Compromise, but it would still be irrelevant to the conversation of whether we should consider black people citizens or not.

Seems you have a problem with Christians
I'm Catholic, why would I have a problem with Christians?

No, the problem I have is the complete lack of perspective shown by so many Christians, this desire to whine like children when they are being treated as equal.
yet you will take the time off.
Absolutely I will...because my work will be closed. And because I want to celebrate the holiday.

What's your point? Remember, I'm not the one who is whining.

PC is just a way for those who don't like how things were in the past to try and force change.
:lamo

No, PC has become a source of whining from people who hate the fact they are not being treated better than others. Oftentimes, the people who whine about PC the most are those who have enjoyed the privileges only they have enjoyed for so long.
So what makes your view more correct than mine?
The fact I'm not whining about being treated equally? The fact I'm not throwing a childish tantrum because one town changed the name of a day from Good Friday to Spring Holiday? The fact I'm not advocating for favoritism for one group of people over another?

Take your pick, there are plenty of reasons my view is potentially more correct than yours.

Has government passed laws that banks cannot open on certain days? I'm not aware of that.

Some state and local governments passed laws that forced certain businesses could not open on Sundays, or sell beer before noon and such, but these were mostly shot down.

Most bank holidays are only holidays because the Federal Reserve is closed.

Most bank holidays are only holidays because the Federal Reserve is closed.

I believe that is correct. At least in Va. I know that some stores have banks within the stores, and many of those are open when the store is open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom