• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

To Christians (and others) from a Christian

Unfortunatley I don't respect the Catholic opinion on marriage, sorry..

So you take the creation epic literally I assume? I am not a Catholic either but they can trace there linage directly to the first church and Christ himself. That accounts for something considering their historical archives.

I am a Christian, but non denominational.

I have an issue with my fellow Christians concerning SSM. How can any of you support gov't enforcement of marriage? While I agree that homosexuality, and in turn SSM, are wrong, do you not realize that our lawmaking and justice systems are systems of precedent? You are setting a horrible precedent by supporting all of these "Christian" Republibots who rage against SSM. Allow me to school you.

1) By supporting DOMA, politicians are violating the 1st Amendment. Why? Because I have never heard any politician be able to express why they support things such as DOMA for anything other than religious reasons. There is no conclusive data to say that gay marriages end in divorce any faster than straight marriages. And if they do, why is that their business? I would like to hear someone explain why they oppose SSM for anyting other than religious reasons. <--Politicians can't do it. Therefore they are forcing their religious beliefs upon all of us, whether you agree with it or not.

2) When we allow the Federal Gov't to get a foot in the door on any issue, they eventually shove their way into the room. Look at healthcare if you need an example. So, by allowing the Federal Gov't the latitude to infringe on one particular group's right to be married or not be married, you allow them to do it to other marriages as well. Allow me to illustrate this. Lets say Mitt Romney, who is a Mormon, comes out and says he supports polygamy. Would we be okay with that? No, we wouldn't. That IS a version of marriage that has been proven to result in spousal and child abuse. It also creates a very messy legal dispute if one wife wants to divorce and get child custody/property. However, by allowing DOMA, we have set the precedent for Mitt Romney to allow polygamy. Why? Because we allowed the Federal Gov't to get its foot in the door of the room that is marriage.

3) Why do Christians not support total seperation of gov't from marriage? Marriage, after all, is a church institution. IMO, Christians should be pushing for civil contracts (civil unions whatever you want to call it) between people when they wish to have the ability to file taxes jointly and/or have the ability to enter into child custody/property disputes involving the justice system. Actual marriages should only be performed by churches or other institutions. This would satisfy both sides. Christians could keep the exclusive right to say that they performed a proper, Godly, marriage. Homosexuals would be able to enjoy the legal benefits of "marriage" as well.

Thoughts?

The notion that Church and State should be separated is most perfidious and should be opposed.

The notion that Church and State should be separated is most perfidious and should be opposed.

Wow.

Metaphysical expression style is not an important thing. It's really no different than choosing a hat.

I have an issue with my fellow Christians concerning SSM. How can any of you support gov't enforcement of marriage? While I agree that homosexuality, and in turn SSM, are wrong, do you not realize that our lawmaking and justice systems are systems of precedent? You are setting a horrible precedent by supporting all of these "Christian" Republibots who rage against SSM. Allow me to school you.

1) By supporting DOMA, politicians are violating the 1st Amendment. Why? Because I have never heard any politician be able to express why they support things such as DOMA for anything other than religious reasons. There is no conclusive data to say that gay marriages end in divorce any faster than straight marriages. And if they do, why is that their business? I would like to hear someone explain why they oppose SSM for anyting other than religious reasons. <--Politicians can't do it. Therefore they are forcing their religious beliefs upon all of us, whether you agree with it or not.

2) When we allow the Federal Gov't to get a foot in the door on any issue, they eventually shove their way into the room. Look at healthcare if you need an example. So, by allowing the Federal Gov't the latitude to infringe on one particular group's right to be married or not be married, you allow them to do it to other marriages as well. Allow me to illustrate this. Lets say Mitt Romney, who is a Mormon, comes out and says he supports polygamy. Would we be okay with that? No, we wouldn't. That IS a version of marriage that has been proven to result in spousal and child abuse. It also creates a very messy legal dispute if one wife wants to divorce and get child custody/property. However, by allowing DOMA, we have set the precedent for Mitt Romney to allow polygamy. Why? Because we allowed the Federal Gov't to get its foot in the door of the room that is marriage.

3) Why do Christians not support total seperation of gov't from marriage? Marriage, after all, is a church institution. IMO, Christians should be pushing for civil contracts (civil unions whatever you want to call it) between people when they wish to have the ability to file taxes jointly and/or have the ability to enter into child custody/property disputes involving the justice system. Actual marriages should only be performed by churches or other institutions. This would satisfy both sides. Christians could keep the exclusive right to say that they performed a proper, Godly, marriage. Homosexuals would be able to enjoy the legal benefits of "marriage" as well.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your input on that.

This Christian supports single sex marriage along with a healthy disregard for authority. The stuff of kings is on secondary consequence and all that.

Carry on.

No it's not. God either exists or not, for one.

One style of art is not superior to another beyond subjectivity. Metaphysical expression is an art, not a science.

One style of art is not superior to another beyond subjectivity. Metaphysical expression is an art, not a science.

And the support for this assertion is?

Physical evidence, experiments, logical probabilities, reason within the realm of the aforementioned. You know, stuff that's not faith.

Physical evidence, experiments, logical probabilities, reason within the realm of the aforementioned. You know, stuff that's not faith.

Such as?

Thoughts?

How can homosexuality be wrong if god created them that way?

How can homosexuality be wrong if god created them that way?

God isn't the cause of homosexuality, it's a result of the fall.

Yeah, because theocratic states work SO well.....:roll:

God isn't the cause of homosexuality, it's a result of the fall.

Yeah...another cop out.

Some people are gay, it is a genetic thing.

So, do you think that all the DNA in the human genome derives from fully formed humans Adam and Eve?

I didn't advocate theocracy.

Advocating for a non separation of church and state is, defacto theocracy. I assume, you are for church and state together...provided it is YOUR church....

Back
Top Bottom