• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This is what happens when reality slaps you upside the head...

Mycroft

Genius is where you find it.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Then...

On October 31, 2017, the New York City Council passed Intro 1568-2017, establishing that no New York City resources can be used for federal immigration enforcement purposes. While New York City already had one of the strongest sanctuary laws in the country, immigrant-led groups like CPD's partner Make the Road New York (MRNY) have continuously pushed to limit local cooperation with the federal government’s mass deportation agenda to the maximum extent possible. The new legislation makes it illegal for the NYPD, or any city agency, to engage in, or assist federal authorities with, immigration enforcement.​

Now...

Last edited:
Yup, I figured that the democrats would pivot on this about 6 month ago and now we have significant elements in both party pushing for stronger border security.

Yup, I figured that the democrats would pivot on this about 6 month ago and now we have significant elements in both party pushing for stronger border security.
And, weirdly, Republicans in the House turning down a really good offer because it wasn't perfect, or some BS.

Perfect sanctuary for immigrants who have committed no crime but the federal one (ie entry) is not incompatible with turning over immigrants who have been convicted of a crime.

Immigrants (legal or illegal) have an enormous opportunity when they arrive. Most of them prosper peacefully and without breaking laws. But those who do break the law, are all the worse for scorning opportunity. Of course it's OK to put them in prison (like any citizen) and on release, turn them over to ICE.

What's NOT ok is using deportation as the only punishment. Immigrants who commit crimes should serve time, just like any citizen.

The ideal is that Congress does it. Laws are harder for a future government to reverse, than executive orders are. Plus there's funding if Congress does it.

But next best is that the President does it. I think it's almost certain he will, and if Republicans don't like the way he does it, they have only themselves to blame.

And, weirdly, Republicans in the House turning down a really good offer because it wasn't perfect, or some BS.
They turned it down because it didn't give them EVERYTHING they wanted. We should all realize by now, it's the gop's way or no way at all.

Then...

On October 31, 2017, the New York City Council passed Intro 1568-2017, establishing that no New York City resources can be used for federal immigration enforcement purposes. While New York City already had one of the strongest sanctuary laws in the country, immigrant-led groups like CPD's partner Make the Road New York (MRNY) have continuously pushed to limit local cooperation with the federal government’s mass deportation agenda to the maximum extent possible. The new legislation makes it illegal for the NYPD, or any city agency, to engage in, or assist federal authorities with, immigration enforcement.​

Now...

Reality slapped many when the senate bipartisan border bill was shot down by the house because they want hr2 passed, the one republicans drafted and only republicans voted for. Their way or no way. Republicans don't govern, they rule.

Then...

Now...

LMAO..... Eric Adams whining at a town hall isn't going to change New York law.... Good lord.... What "new legislation" has even been filed?

LMAO..... Eric Adams whining at a town hall isn't going to change New York law.... Good lord.... What "new legislation" has even been filed?
He's not talking about "New York law".

Did you even look at my OP post?

View attachment 67494904

SMH

Oh, you are talking about EXISTING legislation that passed in 2017 and now Eric Adams is whining about it at a town hall... I thought Eric Adams was the MAGA hero who was gonna save New York... Is he going to save it by whining at a town hall?

They turned it down because it didn't give them EVERYTHING they wanted. We should all realize by now, it's the gop's way or no way at all.
It gave them virtually everything they wanted, but the Drumpf's approval. :oops: ;)

What "law" is he talking about? Imaginary MAGA law? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
???

Did you even LOOK at my OP post?

Then...

Now...

What part of "NEW YORK CITY" do you not understand?

Oh, you are talking about EXISTING legislation that passed in 2017 and now Eric Adams is whining about it at a town hall... I thought Eric Adams was the MAGA hero who was gonna save New York... Is he going to save it by whining at a town hall?
I deleted and reworded my response to you, but I see you now understand a small part of your mistake.

And no, Adams is not a "MAGA hero". He's a Democrat and the Mayor of New York City...who got slapped upside the head by reality.

I deleted and reworded my response to you, but I see you now understand a small part of your mistake.

And no, Adams is not a "MAGA hero". He's a Democrat and the Mayor of New York City...who got slapped upside the head by reality.

"The new legislation makes it illegal for the NYPD, or any city agency, to engage in, or assist federal authorities with, immigration enforcement."

So reality is that New York City is better off getting a share of that low wage immigrant goodness?

"The new legislation makes it illegal for the NYPD, or any city agency, to engage in, or assist federal authorities with, immigration enforcement."

So reality is that New York City is better off getting a share of that low wage immigrant goodness?

There is no "new legislation"... The entire story is about Eric Adams calling on the New York City Council to change a law enacted in 2017...

Where are there low wage jobs in NYC that immigrants can get?

Perfect sanctuary for immigrants who have committed no crime but the federal one (ie entry) is not incompatible with turning over immigrants who have been convicted of a crime.

Immigrants (legal or illegal) have an enormous opportunity when they arrive. Most of them prosper peacefully and without breaking laws. But those who do break the law, are all the worse for scorning opportunity. Of course it's OK to put them in prison (like any citizen) and on release, turn them over to ICE.

What's NOT ok is using deportation as the only punishment. Immigrants who commit crimes should serve time, just like any citizen.

Being a sanctuary city makes NY an inviting target for right-wing political stunts.

No, it was turned down because Trump told them to turn it down. Trump campaigns on grievance. Pass the border security bill and that grievance goes away.

Next up: Don't come to a budget deal and let the government shut down. Then tell everyone it's Biden and the Dems who are to blame.

Back
Top Bottom