• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

They are not Christians

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Far-right religious groups call themselves Christians, but they are not. Everything they stand for is totally against everything that Jesus Christ taught us when he was here on earth. Even their hatred of those not like them violates the creed that Jesus taught. They really think that by limiting what their children read is going to make them the new soldiers of the far right, but their children will end up hating them and leaving their churches as fast as they can. I always think of Jesus telling the little children to come to him. He did not say come to me except you who are gay and not you the one who my father made transgender.

The Far-right religious groups call themselves Christians, but they are not. Everything they stand for is totally against everything that Jesus Christ taught us when he was here on earth. Even their hatred of those not like them violates the creed that Jesus taught. They really think that by limiting what their children read is going to make them the new soldiers of the far right, but their children will end up hating them and leaving their churches as fast as they can. I always think of Jesus telling the little children to come to him. He did not say come to me except you who are gay and not you the one who my father made transgender.
Malarky.
ACTs 3:19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy. For the Lord your God is gracious and compassionate.

Bless you.

Thumbs up for your post.(y) But this has been the case for as long as I can remember. "Christians" haven't been accepting of anyone who is different since I attended a Christian high school many years ago. It has just become more apparent because of social media and the far-right Republicans who are doing everything possible to oppress gay and transgender people. And the Evangelicals are fully onboard with that.

I am not a Christian because I do not believe in many of those 'Christian miracles' most importantly the resurrection of Christ for my sins, or that the Christian God exists. But as I recall it, a lot of Christians are not especially good at prioritizing their values consistent with the biblical teachings. Are we wise to decide who is or is not a Christian based on that criteria? That's above our pay grade. There are a lot more Christians than there are exemplary examples of Christian teachings. I think that's true of any faith. Its an aspiration, as much as a state of being.

Last edited:
84% of the world's population is religious. That is down from 95% thirty or so years ago. That is a good sign... the sooner we get to 0% the better.

In fairness it needs noted that even back in 2014, Church acceptance of gays and lesbians is increasing.

=============

A new survey of American religious congregations conducted by researchers from Duke University and the University of Chicago finds that, in recent years, more churches have become welcoming to openly gay and lesbian couples. These findings parallel broader trends showing greater acceptance among the general public of both homosexuality and same-sex marriage during roughly the same period.

Growing acceptance of gays and lesbians among religious congregations

If people are driven away from organized religion, that is a good thing.

And haven't been for a long time.

Thumbs up for your post.(y) But this has been the case for as long as I can remember. "Christians" haven't been accepting of anyone who is different since I attended a Christian high school many years ago. It has just become more apparent because of social media and the far-right Republicans who are doing everything possible to oppress gay and transgender people. And the Evangelicals are fully onboard with that.
There are things that just are wrong, do not sit with the christian teachings or the Bible. To say that Christians are bad because they have teachings, morals, and standards that guide their beliefs is BS. Being a Christian doesn't mean you approve of any and all behavior. Turn to Christ, turn from sin, that's what Christians are saying. Jesus loves you but that doesn't mean he approves of your behavior.
Matt. 4:17
  • From that time Jesus began to preach and say, “Repent [change your inner self—your old way of thinking, regret past sins, live your life in a way that proves repentance; seek God’s purpose for your life], for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
  • Romans 3:23New International Version. 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

If people are driven away from organized religion, that is a good thing.
Nonsense. Do you even have any idea of the good formal religions do? The amount of charity they spread around the nation and around the globe? You should try a good Bible based church and see the good they do. Are the perfect, no, but they know that. Love God, Love Like God!

There are things that just are wrong, do not sit with the christian teachings or the Bible. To say that Christians are bad because they have teachings, morals, and standards that guide their beliefs is BS. Being a Christian doesn't mean you approve of any and all behavior. Turn to Christ, turn from sin, that's what Christians are saying. Jesus loves you but that doesn't mean he approves of your behavior.
Matt. 4:17
  • From that time Jesus began to preach and say, “Repent [change your inner self—your old way of thinking, regret past sins, live your life in a way that proves repentance; seek God’s purpose for your life], for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
  • Romans 3:23New International Version. 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
See that's my problem. Those things that are 'just wrong' represent some pretty odd choices according to biblical accounts. Slavery was not among them. Stoning people was not among them. Marrying some very young girls was not among them. But two adults of the same sex, having a sexual relationship was! Now that is some serious BS!

It’s crazy but IMO the least Christian area in the US is the ‘Bible Belt’. A true modern day prophet would point out the proliferation of Pharisees in their ranks. We all remain in danger until a vaccine is discovered for this plague…..

In fairness it needs noted that even back in 2014, Church acceptance of gays and lesbians is increasing.

=============

Yet violence against gays and trans is increasing.
You should know ... you are one of the worst offenders here as far as folks who speak out against trans folk
Are you proud of your actions?

Agreed. Here in the 21st century, it's way past time we abandon religious superstition, fear, and ignorance.
Wait? 21st Century? Can Internet time travel? It is the 20th Century here.

It’s crazy but IMO the least Christian area in the US is the ‘Bible Belt’. A true modern day prophet would point out the proliferation of Pharisees in their ranks. We all remain in danger until a vaccine is discovered for this plague…..
Mark 8:38
For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.”

Last edited:
Wait? 21st Century? Can Internet time travel? It is the 20th Century here.
This is currently the 21st century. At least until January 1, 2101.

The year 0 was part of the 1st Century.
Yes, and year 1 started the 2nd century. It does seem a little counterintuitive that 2001 would be the 21st century. It would seem to make more sense if 2000 = 20th century, right?

Nonsense. Do you even have any idea of the good formal religions do? The amount of charity they spread around the nation and around the globe? You should try a good Bible based church and see the good they do. Are the perfect, no, but they know that. Love God, Love Like God!

That sounds great, but the Christians I run across most often ( I watch a lot of police call videos) are pretty frequently howling about how they've been washed in the blood of Christ and he will destroy all evil sinners (the police, in this case) who oppose them...

... most typically over a traffic ticket or domestic violence situation.

Those folks are Christians too, yes? Could you maybe talk to them?

Oh.....

You can try to distance yourself from them, and it might work. But, I've been a member of one of the most 'liberal' Christian Churches in Canada and left because of anti-gay, anti-trans bigotry! As well as the bullshit, hypocrisy and arrogance.

I have denounced Christianity because of this issue, the final straw in a years long struggle to accept the unacceptable.

I have NEVER met a Christian who was ever in anyway satisfied with me as I was. EVERY Christian has tried to change me...without knowing anything about me. Every pastor, no matter how young, no matter background, has adopted a top down attitude with me even though I did not seek any such relationship, rather the reverse since all of these MDivs are self centered, privileged and arrogant. THEY are the ones in need of Good Orderly Direction!

I came to a god of my understanding after a near suicide 35 years ago. I sought to grow that relationship through church only to discover they didn't have a clue. Not one! After 35 years walking with this 'God of my understanding' I know this: Life really IS simple. We really do have a lot to be grateful for....and if you want to be happy, go and make someone else happy.

I do it every day. That's my prayer, my worship, my church. All that shit about floods and torturing old Job over a bet is entertaining, or was 2,000 years ago.

And, BTW, if the Bible is right...we are all the product of incest. Think about it. One woman? Obviously the story was created by a sexist.

84% of the world's population is religious. That is down from 95% thirty or so years ago. That is a good sign... the sooner we get to 0% the better.
Agreed. As a species, we still have a lot of growing up to do.

Nonsense.
Sorry you feel that way. But I have to agree with the poster - organized religions do more harm than good.

Do you even have any idea of the good formal religions do? The amount of charity they spread around the nation and around the globe?
I am keenly aware, and have been directly involved. I find it very much a mixed bag - yes they do good things, but then tend to extract a price in terms of being able to proselytize at will, or force some belief system as a condition of their charity. My wish is to remove the need for such charity, by improving the lives of those at the bottom of the economic ladder - without those requirements and/or indoctrinating opportunities. There's far too much religion now in government, and I think that is also due to the ongoing erosion of our separation of church and state. That cannot continue.

You should try a good Bible based church and see the good they do. Are the perfect, no, but they know that.
I love that they do some good. Truly.

Yes, and year 1 started the 2nd century.
No.
January 1st of Year 0 starts the 1st Century
January 1st of Year 1 is the start of the second year of the 1st Century

We are currently in the 24th year of the 21st Century.
24 years have not passed though... 23 full years have passed.

It is like an infant. When they are 4 months old they are in their 1st Year of Life.
It does seem a little counterintuitive that 2001 would be the 21st century. It would seem to make more sense if 2000 = 20th century, right?
It makes more sense but it does not take into account partial years that are not completed yet.

Back
Top Bottom