• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Theoretically: Chinese military VS Japanese military. Who would win?

I wish I could give this double-likes. And is what I have been saying in here for years now.

And if somebody thinks 12,000 is a large force, consider this:

The US, with overwhelming firepower invaded the small island of Iwo Jima with over 70,000 men. And with only 22,000 defenders they still had a month and a half long battle.

The smaller island of Tarawa saw 35,000 Marines landing, against 3,000 Japanese soldiers.

And these were invasions of small islands. Anybody who thinks China can invade Japan with 12,000 soldiers is in serious need of mental help.

They'd be incredibly lucky if 3,000 out of the 12,000 made it to shore alive. And would just mean 3,000 dead Chinese from cluster bomb and artillery attacks, cluttering up Japan's beaches.

I'm starting to think that you greatly underestimate the capabilities of China.

Yep, I was just going off the hypothetical which seems to be just Japan vs China. If just Japan on their own, Japan loses.

At what cost to the Chinese? That is the question that have been trying to get into Jets head. The cost is just as important as the means if not more so.

Firstly thank you for your gracious welcome :D

This is my first time on these boards and I hoped to put my point across and settle a few inaccuracies I have spotted along the way.

Wrlcome to the board then.

You might call me a long time PLA watcher, but by no means do I endorse Chinese actions in the South China sea... I just like to keep an eye on things as they happen over there as a matter of personal curiosity.

I will address your points one by one.

I have another word for somebody who accepts everything that China says hook-line-sinker, and that is "Chinese Fanboy". But let me address your items one at a time, and you will hopefully see what I mean. I am also giving "Reader's Digest" versions, since I have covered most os these topics in-depth in previous threads.

And also, I do not know what you mean by "long time", but does it approach 30 years? If not, I think I got you beat then.

The DF-21D is very much a reality as admitted by the US admitted by the US government. What we don't know is precise details about range or targeting/accuracy, but we do know that the whole point of the missile is to avoid the requirement to use a nuclear type device in order to score a mission kill, thus avoiding any sort of nuclear escalation.
China Has

The DF-21D is a joke. And yes, we have precise knowledge of it's range, altitude, speed, accuracy, and flight characteristics. After all, it is just another variant of the 25 year old DF-21 series MRBM.

First of all, the stupid concept in the first place of a nuclear armed nation deciding to use a conventional missile is one of the stupidest things ever thought of. There is a very good reason why decades ago both the US and USSR decided to remove all nuclear warheads from cruise missiles, and all conventional warheads from ballistic missiles. It is because that way neither side would confuse one or the other with a nuclear strike, and launch WWIII by accident. If it was a cruise missile, it was conventional. If it was a ballistic missile, it was nuclear. Plain and simple. The only nations that have not followed this convention are those without nuclear warheads in the first place (Iraq).

Then there is the entire concept of trying to "aim" a ballistic missile falling at MACH 5+ onto a moving target that it can not seen a little bit bigger then 1,000 feet by 250 feet. Just the idea is absolutely silly. Because if they are even 0.001% off, they are going to have a total miss. They have no way to acquire the target, no way to track the target, no way to lock onto the target, and no way of avoiding the massive amounts of interceptors that every Destroyer and Cruiser is going to be throwing at it long before it gets within striking distance.

This "system" (and they admit large parts of it do not even exist yet) is totally untested, but I admit the concept is sound. It might work if firing at a ship tied up along a warf, but not under power on the open sea.

And the very fact of launching this, you have a very serious risk of the US launching a nuclear response in return. China is not a partner to any of the US-USSR-Russian missile treaties, and this shows. Not even the Soviets would have been stupid enough to try a weapon of this type, knowing that the moment it is launched (and the DF-21 is designed to carry a nuclear payload), they risk a very unexpected return gift.

By Tonnage they are right up there with the top surface fleets and the current building boom is ensuring an increasing percentage of the tonnage is of modern, high quality vessels.

Tonnage means exactly nothing. Most of their navy is ancient, made up of designs first made by the Soviets in the 1950's! And this class was considered a failure (only 1 was built), so they sold the plans to the Chinese.

Look at the Type 051 series, their most common destroyer. This is a 1970's Chinese made variant of a 1950's era Soviet destroyer (the Neustrashimy class). Then you have the Type 052, an upgrade to the Type 051. But the interesting thing to consider is that most of the major components (RADAR, engines, electronics) are of US and European manufacture. Basically only yhe hull is Chinese made.

What China has is a lot of old ships, and very small. Their largest ships are destroyers, and they have only 25 of them. The US has 61 destroyers of a single class (Arleigh Burke), the oldest of which is 2 decades newer then the Type 051.

Then you have Frigates, China has 47 of them, most of them based on the old Soviet Riga Frigates (circa 1952). The US has 25 of the Oliver Hazard Perry class Frigate, a much more modern design (the US has been phasing out Frigates for decades).

Then there are the larger ships, the Cruisers. China has exactly zero cruisers. The US has 22, all the formidable Ticonderoga class.

So yea, it is easy to say they "have tonnage". The US has tonnage also, if you count the mothball fleets as well. The ships that China regularly uses are older then ships the US tows out as targets for gunnery and missile practice.

The latest photographs suggest J-15 production is well under way and the first batch possibly completed. In the last few day's photo's have been posted of dress rehearsals for the "guided missile cruisers" ceremony.

Well, first let's talk about the Cruiser. A "Chinese Cruiser" has been talked about since at least 2005. And even then they said it was going to be revealed "any day now". Here we are 7 years later, still waiting. But I decided to do some peeking, to see if you have seen something I missed. So I did some searches, and found absolutely nothing talking about imminant Chinese cruisers. So I would love to see your source for this.

Also I will admit, they do possess one cruiser. Their "Aircraft Carrier" is actually a class of ship that the Soviets called an "Aircraft Carrying Guided Missile Cruiser". So yes, they do have one cruiser, just no carrier.

And no, production on the J-15 (a Chinese copy of the Soviet Su-33) is not "well under way". They have what is estimated to be 2 prototypes currently undergoing testing. The Chinese acquired Su-33s from the Ukraine in 2001, and has been working on copying them for over a decade now. And as I stated, China is infamous for blowing deadlines for equipment deliveries by 5-10+ years. So expect to see groups of J-15s flying in 2012, I mean 2014, I mean 2015, I mean 2016... (and yes, the newest delivery date is now 2016).

J7 and J8 yes... but these are increasingly being supplemented by the more modern J-10, J-11, J-16, JH-7A and you must have seen photographs of the stealth fighter/bomber J-20? or the recently revealed (last few days) J-31?

The J-20 is not a bomber. And it's stealth ability is questionable. But no matter, it is not a bomber.

And the very large number of different models of Chinese tanks/aircraft/destroyers/frigates should tell you something. For decades now, Chinese military equipment has been in an almost constant state of prototyping. They make a new design, make a small number of them, then drop it and start on a new "best ever" model. Make a few of those, rinse and repeat.

Their tanks are the worst, but their fighters are not much better. They have more different models of fighters then Carter has little liver pills.

The Chinese have been operating in the gulf of aiden on in co-operation with other navies for a few years now.

Yes, and your point here is? Gulf of Aden, the shallow waterway at the exit of the Red Sea, between Yemen and Somalia. This is not deep water, this is not "blue water". This is coastal water. So you have proven nothing that I have already said.

We don't really know much about Chinese cub's as it is one of the most secretly guarded areas of the PLAN. Historically yes I suspect you are right... but they have been venturing out more and more in recent years. Surely you remember the story of one popping right up in the middle of a US carrier group?

Actually, we know quite a bit about them. We also know a lot of them when they were still Soviet ships, and their own creations based off of Soviet designs.

And if you think it is all a secret, look at what I provided just a short time ago, satellite views of their major submarine base, with their subs obviously in a "long term parking" configuration. If I can do that with Google, do you think the US Navy can't do it with their classified birds?

And no, they are not venturing out all that much. They are still mostly sitting on the docks, doing very little.

And yes, I know about that incident. Also remember the carrier was steaming peacefully in open waters, and in no way on any kind of "wartime" condition. Put the carrier and it's task force on any kind of "war footing", and no sub is getting within 100 miles of the carrier. There will be so many sonobouys lurking and pinging that you can almost walk on them.

Until you get to know me better, I would advise you reserve judgement ;)

Address me with a little more courtesy and I will happily discuss things further.

Well, I look forward to seeing your input in the future. FYI, I am a still serving military veteran, with over 10 years in Infantry (Marines), and 5 years in Missile Defense (PATRIOT). In fact, if you look up my handle here, it will become obvious where I got it from. So interestingly enough, most of this conversation actually talks about 2 of my specialties in the military. Missiles and Amphibious Operations.

I do not put down China, as much as not put them up on a pedistal as far to many do. I see long strings of cancelled projects, failed projects, projects that never deliver as promised, and projects that are way-way-way over the estimated delivery time.

I invite you to look into the ARJ-21. A Chinese copy of the DC-9, they purchased the rights to copy it and started work on it back in 2000. Then they promised to start construction in 2002, to have it in service by 2004. A Chinese made airframe, with US made engines and avionics.

Then the delivery date slipped to 2006, 2008, the prototype did not fly until 2008. Delivery by 2009, 2010, 2011, and finally in 2012 they annouce they will start delivery in 2013.

I am not holding my breath for them to make that delivery date either.

FARNBOROUGH: ARJ21 first delivery pushed to end 2013

We might actually see these things in service by 2014. A decade after the original promised delivery date. And remember, China is only making the airframes. Engines and avionics (typically the most complicated parts of an aircraft) all come from the US.

I have another word for somebody who accepts everything that China says hook-line-sinker, and that is "Chinese Fanboy". But let me address your items one at a time, and you will hopefully see what I mean. I am also giving "Reader's Digest" versions, since I have covered most os these topics in-depth in previous threads.

And also, I do not know what you mean by "long time", but does it approach 30 years? If not, I think I got you beat then.

Thank you... I would like to clarify that I am not a "fanboy" as such, nor do I have any association with the country or it's people. I am simply interested in the speed and direction in which the Chinese armed forces (and country as a whole) have modernised and developed. For example 20 years ago the whole country had barely a handful of cars and it is now the worlds largest car market.
Money and development/military strength go hand in hand... which is why the US, being the worlds largest economy, naturally has the largest military budget and subsequent force.

The DF-21D is a joke. And yes, we have precise knowledge of it's range, altitude, speed, accuracy, and flight characteristics. After all, it is just another variant of the 25 year old DF-21 series MRBM.

By that logic the US sidewinder missile which has been in service since 1959 must be equally rubbish. It's natural to assume that this missile has been improved upon over the years as I'm sure the original had nowhere near the precision to hit ships at sea.

First of all, the stupid concept in the first place of a nuclear armed nation deciding to use a conventional missile is one of the stupidest things ever thought of. There is a very good reason why decades ago both the US and USSR decided to remove all nuclear warheads from cruise missiles, and all conventional warheads from ballistic missiles. It is because that way neither side would confuse one or the other with a nuclear strike, and launch WWIII by accident. If it was a cruise missile, it was conventional. If it was a ballistic missile, it was nuclear. Plain and simple. The only nations that have not followed this convention are those without nuclear warheads in the first place (Iraq).

Exactly the reason China want's to use the DF-21D as a "deterrent" (not as the hammer of Damocles), instead of having to lob a nuke into the middle of a carrier strike group.
China's whole military development has been directed towards "Area Denial". It knows it can not defeat the US on high sea's, but it can find ways to prevent it approaching the mainland or appoerate safely in certain areas of the south china sea.

Then there is the entire concept of trying to "aim" a ballistic missile falling at MACH 5+ onto a moving target that it can not seen a little bit bigger then 1,000 feet by 250 feet. Just the idea is absolutely silly. Because if they are even 0.001% off, they are going to have a total miss. They have no way to acquire the target, no way to track the target, no way to lock onto the target, and no way of avoiding the massive amounts of interceptors that every Destroyer and Cruiser is going to be throwing at it long before it gets within striking distance.

This "system" (and they admit large parts of it do not even exist yet) is totally untested, but I admit the concept is sound. It might work if firing at a ship tied up along a warf, but not under power on the open sea.

The US government admits the threat is plausible and real... any military commander worth his salt will have to take it into their considerations. To just ignore the threat as "ridiculous" would not be prudent.

And the very fact of launching this, you have a very serious risk of the US launching a nuclear response in return. China is not a partner to any of the US-USSR-Russian missile treaties, and this shows. Not even the Soviets would have been stupid enough to try a weapon of this type, knowing that the moment it is launched (and the DF-21 is designed to carry a nuclear payload), they risk a very unexpected return gift.

Would the US seriously be willing to initiate a nuclear exchange? I don't think they would.

Tonnage means exactly nothing. Most of their navy is ancient, made up of designs first made by the Soviets in the 1950's! And this class was considered a failure (only 1 was built), so they sold the plans to the Chinese.

Look at the Type 051 series, their most common destroyer. This is a 1970's Chinese made variant of a 1950's era Soviet destroyer (the Neustrashimy class). Then you have the Type 052, an upgrade to the Type 051. But the interesting thing to consider is that most of the major components (RADAR, engines, electronics) are of US and European manufacture. Basically only yhe hull is Chinese made.

What China has is a lot of old ships, and very small. Their largest ships are destroyers, and they have only 25 of them. The US has 61 destroyers of a single class (Arleigh Burke), the oldest of which is 2 decades newer then the Type 051.

China has 28 Destroyers with a further 10 under construction. Those old luda's arn't really comparable against modern warships, although some have been upgraded I admit, they still pack a punch against some of it's regional neighbours (Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia)
China does not need to take on the entire US navy. The US will not send every one of it's destroyers to the south china sea... it simply needs to be able to take on the it's neighbours and deter the US from getting involved. The Type 52D is now under serial construction and boasts 64 "universal" VLS cells, and new generation of phased array radar and the ability to launch several types of anti air, land attack and anti ship cruise missiles.
This ship is comparable to the best the region has to offer

Then you have Frigates, China has 47 of them, most of them based on the old Soviet Riga Frigates (circa 1952). The US has 25 of the Oliver Hazard Perry class Frigate, a much more modern design (the US has been phasing out Frigates for decades).

China has 50 frigates of which I would class 32 of them as "modern". The US is replacing it's frigate fleet with the littoral combat ship, although production is not keeping up with the pace of decommissioning.

Then there are the larger ships, the Cruisers. China has exactly zero cruisers. The US has 22, all the formidable Ticonderoga class.

Define "cruiser". The Arliegh Burke class is very similar to the Ticonderoga class in terms of size and displacement and weapons load. I would venture to call the Arliegh Burkes cruisers or the Ticonderoga class destroyers.

So yea, it is easy to say they "have tonnage". The US has tonnage also, if you count the mothball fleets as well. The ships that China regularly uses are older then ships the US tows out as targets for gunnery and missile practice.

That's hyperbole and you know it ;)

Well, first let's talk about the Cruiser. A "Chinese Cruiser" has been talked about since at least 2005. And even then they said it was going to be revealed "any day now". Here we are 7 years later, still waiting. But I decided to do some peeking, to see if you have seen something I missed. So I did some searches, and found absolutely nothing talking about imminant Chinese cruisers. So I would love to see your source for this.

I was referring to you calling the "Liaoning" a cruiser. It is an aircraft carrier, no arguments about it. This photo was taken 2 days ago? I am going to assume it is about to be commissioned.

[imghttp://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7513/134803437466912.jpg[/img]

And no, production on the J-15 (a Chinese copy of the Soviet Su-33) is not "well under way". They have what is estimated to be 2 prototypes currently undergoing testing. The Chinese acquired Su-33s from the Ukraine in 2001, and has been working on copying them for over a decade now. And as I stated, China is infamous for blowing deadlines for equipment deliveries by 5-10+ years. So expect to see groups of J-15s flying in 2012, I mean 2014, I mean 2015, I mean 2016... (and yes, the newest delivery date is now 2016).

J-15's

scaled.php

This is not a recent photo... the carrier wing is rumoured to be not far off. Some say it is this group of pilots.

scaled.php

Not forgetting this... just revealed a couple of day's ago. J-31 Rumoured to be destined for carrier operations at some point.

014015g019mzmtccx0g9fv.jpg

134777683063681.jpg

The J-20 is not a bomber. And it's stealth ability is questionable. But no matter, it is not a bomber.

By bomber I mean "strike" aircraft. It has clearly been designed with long range in mind.

And the very large number of different models of Chinese tanks/aircraft/destroyers/frigates should tell you something. For decades now, Chinese military equipment has been in an almost constant state of prototyping. They make a new design, make a small number of them, then drop it and start on a new "best ever" model. Make a few of those, rinse and repeat.

Indeed... but in the last few years it seems they have settled on design's that work. Type-54A frigates, Type 52D destroyers, J-10 fighters, J-11B fighters, type 022 FAC, etc etc

Their tanks are the worst, but their fighters are not much better. They have more different models of fighters then Carter has little liver pills.

The only people who need to worry about Chinese tanks are the Russians, Indians and Taiwanese and they are good enough for those purposes.

Yes, and your point here is? Gulf of Aden, the shallow waterway at the exit of the Red Sea, between Yemen and Somalia. This is not deep water, this is not "blue water". This is coastal water. So you have proven nothing that I have already said.

"blue water" does not always mean deep water... it means operating far away from where you are based. The Chinese have few ports abroad that they can call friendly and have been managing quite fine for some time now.

And if you think it is all a secret, look at what I provided just a short time ago, satellite views of their major submarine base, with their subs obviously in a "long term parking" configuration. If I can do that with Google, do you think the US Navy can't do it with their classified birds?

You have shown the rusty old Romeo/ming class submarines which are mostly used for training these day's. China has enough Song/Yuan submarines now to make it difficult for anyone wanting to operate in areas of the south china sea.
We can't see all of China's subs since they keep their best stuff locked away in pens.

And yes, I know about that incident. Also remember the carrier was steaming peacefully in open waters, and in no way on any kind of "wartime" condition. Put the carrier and it's task force on any kind of "war footing", and no sub is getting within 100 miles of the carrier. There will be so many sonobouys lurking and pinging that you can almost walk on them.

Oh i'm sure lessons have been learned and procedures re-examined. Still embarrassing though isn't it ;)

Well, I look forward to seeing your input in the future. FYI, I am a still serving military veteran, with over 10 years in Infantry (Marines), and 5 years in Missile Defense (PATRIOT). In fact, if you look up my handle here, it will become obvious where I got it from. So interestingly enough, most of this conversation actually talks about 2 of my specialties in the military. Missiles and Amphibious Operations.

Nice to meet you too :)

I do not put down China, as much as not put them up on a pedistal as far to many do. I see long strings of cancelled projects, failed projects, projects that never deliver as promised, and projects that are way-way-way over the estimated delivery time.

10 years ago I would have probably agree'd. Things are changing fast now though.

Insight: China builds its own military-industrial complex | Reuters

I invite you to look into the ARJ-21. A Chinese copy of the DC-9, they purchased the rights to copy it and started work on it back in 2000. Then they promised to start construction in 2002, to have it in service by 2004. A Chinese made airframe, with US made engines and avionics.

Then the delivery date slipped to 2006, 2008, the prototype did not fly until 2008. Delivery by 2009, 2010, 2011, and finally in 2012 they annouce they will start delivery in 2013.
[/QUOTE]

Considering china has never built a commercial airliner before I would imagine it takes quite a while to establish the manufacturing base. I would rather they took their time and got it right than rushed it into service with a multitude of problems. Especially if I was ever in the position to have to ride on one.

Also I will admit, they do possess one cruiser. Their "Aircraft Carrier" is actually a class of ship that the Soviets called an "Aircraft Carrying Guided Missile Cruiser". So yes, they do have one cruiser, just no carrier.

Actually, we know quite a bit about them. We also know a lot of them when they were still Soviet ships, and their own creations based off of Soviet designs.

And no, they are not venturing out all that much. They are still mostly sitting on the docks, doing very little.

I am not holding my breath for them to make that delivery date either.

FARNBOROUGH: ARJ21 first delivery pushed to end 2013

We might actually see these things in service by 2014. A decade after the original promised delivery date. And remember, China is only making the airframes. Engines and avionics (typically the most complicated parts of an aircraft) all come from the US.

I wish I could triple like this.

The sadistic side of me almost hope something happens, and then I won't have to come back. 4 weeks here is just on the edge of making me insane. And I've been coming to China for 3 years now.

It's a pretty interesting situation over here. Some of the people at the company I am working at we're crawling up our ass for protecting the Japanese. You try explaining, but just like the US they believe whatever is on the TV. I have yet to see a sports match that they lose... They just rerun old matches they win all the time.

It's pretty obvious to the world that China is in the wrong. Japan is not necessarily right either, as Okinawa is not a fan of the Japanese. But the Chinese have this attitude that all Asians come from Chinese, and so all Asians are Chinese and all land that Asians live in is Chinese.

The sadistic side of me almost hope something happens, and then I won't have to come back. 4 weeks here is just on the edge of making me insane. And I've been coming to China for 3 years now.

It's a pretty interesting situation over here. Some of the people at the company I am working at we're crawling up our ass for protecting the Japanese. You try explaining, but just like the US they believe whatever is on the TV. I have yet to see a sports match that they lose... They just rerun old matches they win all the time.

It's pretty obvious to the world that China is in the wrong. Japan is not necessarily right either, as Okinawa is not a fan of the Japanese. But the Chinese have this attitude that all Asians come from Chinese, and so all Asians are Chinese and all land that Asians live in is Chinese.

It won't be long before they start claiming Hawaii as ancestral homeland, Australia too.

China would lose devastatingly in a war against Japan simply because of our defense agreements. Any country on Earth that the US isn't aligned with is using mainly outdated equipment. Not to mention any build-up to a seaborne invasion force coming from China would be noticed by American satellites and crushed by a superior navy. The truth of the matter is, we have a longer reach. I'm totally convinced that the US military is able to fight off any military on the planet because of technological superiority alone. We have militarized ourselves to the point that only nuclear bombardment or betrayal by the other militaries in the Network could result in an extreme disadvantage for our defensive capability. And that's only because of the possible turnover of our secrets and technology.

It won't be long before they start claiming Hawaii as ancestral homeland, Australia too.

Not so much Australia I think. They have a distinctly different people. But who knows, they very well may.

Well, a lot of this is just more of the same, but I will concentrate on a few specific things you have said:

By that logic the US sidewinder missile which has been in service since 1959 must be equally rubbish. It's natural to assume that this missile has been improved upon over the years as I'm sure the original had nowhere near the precision to hit ships at sea.

Faulty logic here.

There are vast differences here. The DF-21D is simply the DF-21C with a different tracking package. It was also lightened to increase it's range. But I will go into that more later.

The current Sidewinder has almost nothing left of the original, other then the mounting point and size. These weapons are not only different categories altogether, they are of vastly different generations and purposes.

Exactly the reason China want's to use the DF-21D as a "deterrent" (not as the hammer of Damocles), instead of having to lob a nuke into the middle of a carrier strike group.
China's whole military development has been directed towards "Area Denial". It knows it can not defeat the US on high sea's, but it can find ways to prevent it approaching the mainland or appoerate safely in certain areas of the south china sea.

But how can you tell if the missile incoming has a conventional or nuclear payload on board?

You can't.

That is the biggest danger to China if they launch one. We know from the Operation Crossroads tests that nukes are very effective at taking out ships. And if you see a Nuclear capable ballistic Missile coming at you, are you going to wait until it goes boom before launching a response?

Would the US seriously be willing to initiate a nuclear exchange? I don't think they would.

The moment China launches a Ballistic Missile at US or allied assets, they are the ones that have effectively started the exchange, not the US. Look back at the previous comment I made about the US and USSR deciding to not use conventional weapons on ballistic missiles. This was done for a very realistic reason: so that an accidental exchange will not start because a weapons designed to carry a nuclear payload had a conventional one instead.

Define "cruiser". The Arliegh Burke class is very similar to the Ticonderoga class in terms of size and displacement and weapons load. I would venture to call the Arliegh Burkes cruisers or the Ticonderoga class destroyers.
[/img]

Wow, I don't know what to say about this. But let me try.

Traditionally, the US has used the following definitions of ships, from the largest to the smallest:

Battleship
Cruiser
Destroyer
Frigate

Normally this was determined by displacement and/or gun size. This is how you ended up with "Pocket Battleships", essentially Cruisers with Battleship guns. But once the use of heavy guns was phased out in favor of missiles, it then shifted to be pretty much on mission and size.

Yes, the Ticonderoga was originally planned to be a Destroyer. And at the time we still had the Virginia class CGN (Cruiser Guided Nuclear). During this time of Naval operations, Cruisers were primarily Air Defense platforms, and Destroyers were ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare) Platforms. But the newer Ticonderoga class ships while almost the same length as earlier cruisers, lacked the big guns that gave them their traditional displacement. So while in development it was considered that they be called Destroyers, that never happened.

And while the Arleigh Burke class is among (not the) largest Destroyers the US has built, it was never considered a Cruiser at any time. It's displacement now approaches that of a Cruiser, but it's size and mission is not the same. So while you may call the Burke a Cruiser or the Ticonderoga a Destroyer, nobody else does.

I was referring to you calling the "Liaoning" a cruiser. It is an aircraft carrier, no arguments about it. This photo was taken 2 days ago? I am going to assume it is about to be commissioned.

Are you aware of the linage of that ship?

It was originally known as the Riga, then the Varyag. It is one of a class known as the Admiral Kuznetsov, which the Soviets themselves called the tyazholiy avianesushchiy kreyser, or "Heavy Aircraft-Carrying Cruiser". And this is obvious when you look at it's design. After all, what other aircraft carriers have over 12 heavy anti-ship missiles, and 192 air defense missiles? And only has a complement of 12 fighters?

This is not an "Aircraft Carrier" as is known in any other navy in the world. The complement of Aircraft was never intended to be part of a "strike force", but simply for it's own air defense and self protection. That is how it was designed, and that is what it is. It is a unique ship, in a class all it's own.

And it is little changed. It now has 126 air defense missile launchers, and 24 ASW missile launchers. Still more Cruiser then Carrier.

By bomber I mean "strike" aircraft. It has clearly been designed with long range in mind.

And once again, you are calling things whatever you wish to call them, not what they actually are.

Stick to commonly accepted nomenclature, it is used for a reason.

Indeed... but in the last few years it seems they have settled on design's that work. Type-54A frigates, Type 52D destroyers, J-10 fighters, J-11B fighters, type 022 FAC, etc etc

Oh have they? Let's look at this series, shall we?

Type 052, 1994, 2 ships
Type 051B, 1998, 1 ship
Type 052B, 2004, 2 ships
Type 052C, 2004, 2 ships
Type 051C, 2006, 2 ships

That does not seem like they have settled on "designs that work" to me. It simply looks like more of the same thing they have done for decades. Make a few models, scrap the design and start with a new design. 5 different classes of Destroyers in 18 years (often going back and forth between designs) seems more like either internal conflicts in the PLAN, or problems with the designs.

And the aircraft you listed also have behind them a littler of abandoned projects. The J-9, J-8 (saw limited production), and pretty much all just Chinese copies of Soviet aircraft. So not even all that original (the J-11 is nothing but a locally made Su-27).

Also to go back to the DF-21D real fast. The real issue as to why it will not work actually has nothing to do with accuracy. It is known to have a CEP of under 100 meters.

The real problem is in acquiring a moving target, and the tracking of the missile and target both. I can have a missile accurate to within 1 meter, but if I am predicting the ship will be at location A, and when the missile gets to location A the ship has made a change of direction and speed and is 2 kilometers away, then you have a miss.

I have gone over this in depth already. And once agian, the concept also fails to take into consideration the capability of the US SM-3 missile.

Something to note about the scenario in the thread, is that it implies a conflict happening, now, as opposed to say 20 years from now. So while China is trying hard to improve it's military, it is not in good shape to take on Japan as it stands now. China does have a pseudo-carrier, but it's one that never worked out so well for the Russians, and China is trying this with a copy of the same plane Russia had limited success with. Carrier operations are not easy. The US makes it seem easy because we have a long history of continuous carrier operations. In reality, flight deck ops are extremely complex and dangerous. China may commission the ship in two years or five years or whatever, but it will take them much longer to manage flight ops without killing the pilots and/or deck crew.

In regards to the J-20, it's not much of a fighter so perhaps calling it a strike aircraft is correct. Some interesting notes here (bold is mine):

Bill Sweetman argues that the J-20 will be more similar to a MiG-25 with stealth capability. He says this is the most likely role for such a large aircraft with low thrust to weight ratio and limited agility that is optimized for range and speed.[73] Loren B. Thompson has said that this combination of forward sector only stealth and long range will allow the J-20 to make attacks on surface targets while the United States lacks sufficient bases for F-22s in the area to counter these attacks and American allies have no comparable aircraft.[74] Thompson has also said that a long-range maritime strike aircraft may cause the United States more trouble than a shorter range air-superiority fighter like the F-22.[53] The Pentagon's 2011 report on the Chinese military agrees that the J-20 is "a platform capable of long range, penetrating strikes into complex air defense environments."[75] Because the aircraft's center of gravity must be within the triangle defined by the landing gear, the J-20 depends on lift from its canards, which limits its maneuverability to the lifting power of its canards. Hence the J-20 is not a fighter, but rather a light supersonic bomber.[76] The J-20 may have lower supercruise speed (yet greater range) and less agility than a Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor or PAK FA, but might also have larger weapons bays and carry more fuel.[51][77]

Aboulafia has called the J-20 a kludge made of mismatched parts and questioned if the Chinese have the skills or technology to produce a true fifth-generation fighter.[53] Bill Sweetman speculates that China will have problems meeting its production requirements, as it has several other jet fighter projects in production. Aviation Week raised the question of whether the aircraft is a prototype, like the Sukhoi T-50, or a technology demonstrator similar to the Lockheed YF-22.[2]

Kanwa Andrew Chan, editor-in-chief of Hong Kong Military News Agency, questioned the J-20's stealth among other parameters saying that it cannot yet match its competitors—the Russian T-50 and U.S. F-22—due to lack of engine power, the inability to fly at supersonic speeds, and shortcomings in its radar system and stealth, calling it a 4+ generation fighter in its current state.[78]

Commander of the Russian Air Force Colonel General Alexander Zelin has said that the J-20 is inferior in speed, range, and agility to the Sukhoi/HAL FGFA.[79] Russian military commentator Ilya Kramnik conjectures that China is still 10 to 15 years behind the United States and Russia in fighter technology and may not be able to manufacture all the advanced composite materials, avionics and sensor packages needed for such aircraft, and could instead turn to foreign suppliers.[80]
Chengdu J-20 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China's naval ordering list for the next few years if you guy's want to have a look.

planshipbuilding2003201.jpg

planshipbuilding2013202.jpg

Listed below are the major combatants to be inducted into the Chinese navy over the next 7 years:

Corvette's

36 x Type 056

Frigates

6 x Type 054A FFG
8 x Type 054B FFG

Destroyers

8 x Type 052D DDG
2 x Type 052E DDG

Cruisers

6 x Type 055A CG

Carriers

1 x New Carrier (CV02)
3 x Type 071B LPD's
3 x Type 075A LHD's in the 40,000+ ton weight category (similar to US Wasp class)

Submarines

12 x Type 039C SS
8 x Type 095 SSN
6 x Type 094 SSBN

China's naval ordering list for the next few years if you guy's want to have a look.

planshipbuilding2003201.jpg

planshipbuilding2013202.jpg

Listed below are the major combatants to be inducted into the Chinese navy over the next 7 years:

Corvette's

36 x Type 056

Frigates

6 x Type 054A FFG
8 x Type 054B FFG

Destroyers

8 x Type 052D DDG
2 x Type 052E DDG

Cruisers

6 x Type 055A CG

Carriers

1 x New Carrier (CV02)
3 x Type 071B LPD's
3 x Type 075A LHD's in the 40,000+ ton weight category (similar to US Wasp class)

Submarines

12 x Type 039C SS
8 x Type 095 SSN
6 x Type 094 SSBN

This amounts to a wish list. We'll have to see if all of this actually happens. The unknown "new carrier" isn't going to happen in 7 years. China hasn't figured out the pre-made carrier yet.

I meant to edit that list... there is actually a total of 18 Type 54A frigates, 6 type 52c DDG's and 3 type 71A LPD's when you take into account what has already been built.

Yes it is unclear whether Chinese yards will have sufficient capacity to meet that schedule while maintaining their commercial orders as well.

As far as the pre-made carrier goes... we will just have to wait and see.

The 1st carrier was commissioned earlier this week so it will be interesting to see how soon the Chinese have it's air wing installed. They have already landed planes on it by account of these photo's.

085229o7wzb1ffro1154af.jpg

4574536784568456.jpg

134857414194243.jpg

090830m2p2b6w6y22t26wf.jpg

I meant to edit that list... there is actually a total of 18 Type 54A frigates, 6 type 52c DDG's and 3 type 71A LPD's when you take into account what has already been built.

Yes it is unclear whether Chinese yards will have sufficient capacity to meet that schedule while maintaining their commercial orders as well.

As far as the pre-made carrier goes... we will just have to wait and see.

The 1st carrier was commissioned earlier this week so it will be interesting to see how soon the Chinese have it's air wing installed. They have already landed planes on it by account of these photo's.

4574536784568456.jpg

Well, the presence of airplanes doesn't necessarily mean they were landed there. They could have been hoisted aboard. I'll believe it when I see video of the actual landing traps.

Mind you, I'm not saying they will never manage landings, it's just that it's very hard to do safely and they will not work that out quickly.

That "plane" in the hanger is probably a model for training the crews..

I'm referring to the rubber skid marks on the deck which can only have been from touch and go's or arrested landings

I'm referring to the rubber skid marks on the deck which can only have been from touch and go's or arrested landings

I see what you're saying. My bet would be touch and gos, which would be an important start.

This amounts to a wish list. We'll have to see if all of this actually happens. The unknown "new carrier" isn't going to happen in 7 years. China hasn't figured out the pre-made carrier yet.

And that is why I do not really make comments on things that do not exist.

The vast majority of China's "advanced weapons" simply do not exist. They are concepts, or perpetually in development. They rarely make it past the prototype stage, and almost always way behind schedule.

Like the ARJ-21. This thing is so far behind schedule it is not even funny, and all they had to do was build the airframe from complete blueprints. Engines and avionics were coming from an overseas company. And the body was just that of the MD90, not even an incredibly advanced design (in fact, based on the MD-80, itself a take-off of the older DC-9 from 1965).

Future predictions do not scare me.

Well we know the capabilities of things like the type 54a frigate.

It is a well rounded and potent FFG so the Chinese clearly can build a decent ship. The question is, can they build enough of them to make a difference and quickly enough?

Or from the tractors that are used on a flight deck to move things around.

Even to the untrained eye, those are clearly skid marks from something hitting the deck.

Or from the tractors that are used on a flight deck to move things around.
Hate to disagree with you but those marks definately are touch and go marks look at how they taper at the ends in the close shot and how they are parrel in the far shot. Definatly did at least a few touch and goes. I dont think they did any arrested landings though, the marks wouldnt taper like they do.

Most estimates say the aircraft will not be ready until early 2016 at the earliest.

And for the Type 054A Frigate, They have completed 13 of a fleet of 16 of them, not 18. And I am sorry, a single 32 cell SAM launcher, 8 C-803 anti-ship missiles, a single 76mm gun, and 6 torpedoes? Do you seriously consider these to be a threat? Those things are not armed much better then a Coast Guard cutter. And even our oldest destroyers (of a class of 61) has these so heavily outwrighed it is not even funny.

The Burke class destroyers have a 90 cell missile launcher, which can launch Tomahawk, Harpoon, and multiple SAM missiles. Plus a 5" deck gun, and 2 25mm bushmaster cannons in addition to 12 torpedoes. How about we take all 13 of yours, and have them square off against 6 of ours and see how they do?

Cause even outnumbered over 2 to 1, I bet the results will still be very one-sided.

Back
Top Bottom