• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The White House asked to borrow a van Gogh. The Guggenheim offered a gold toilet instead.

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The emailed response from the Guggenheim’s chief curator to the White House was polite but firm: The museum could not accommodate a request to borrow a painting by Vincent van Gogh for President and Melania Trump’s private living quarters.

Instead, wrote the curator, Nancy Spector, another piece was available, one that was nothing like “Landscape With Snow,” the 1888 van Gogh rendering of a man in a black hat walking along a path in Arles, France, with his dog.

The curator’s alternative: an 18-karat, fully functioning, solid gold toilet — an interactive work titled “America” that critics have described as pointed satire aimed at the excess of wealth in this country.

When asked about this offer, Trump replied "This administration is number one..... and also number two".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...22769454f82_story.html?utm_term=.7731105b4414

Nothing subtle about the Guggenheim, is there? :lol:

I'm surprised he didn't bring his own gold-plated crapper to the residence.

Nothing subtle about the Guggenheim, is there? :lol:

Well, you know Trump has a solid gold toilet in Trump Tower, right?? They just want to give him the comforts of home.

"When they go low, we go high... except when we don't"

That's what everyone cheered Michelle Obama for saying, right? No?
Oh, wait, our former FLOTUS didn't include that last part, did she?

Wow, that #hashtag didn't last long.

"When they go low, we go high... except when we don't"

That's what everyone cheered Michelle Obama for saying, right? No?
Oh, wait, our former FLOTUS didn't include that last part, did she?

Wow, that #hashtag didn't last long.

You has a sad because you want the right to be able to throw stones like they always do and the left to sit there and take it. Not sorry to disappoint you.

You has a sad because you want the right to be able to throw stones like they always do and the left to sit there and take it. Not sorry to disappoint you.

I'm not disappointed, nor am I surprised. This pretty much meets the standards I've set for Democrats and liberals.
It's Michelle Obama whose words did not resonate with you or Nancy Spector.

I'm not disappointed, nor am I surprised. This pretty much meets the standards I've set for Democrats and liberals.
It's Michelle Obama whose words did not resonate with you or Nancy Spector.

And Michelle did walk a higher path. She doesn't speak for me. Nice to know that you have a standard for the left and apparently none for the GOP.

btw... it's a story about a toilet you are getting worked up over. :lol:

And Michelle did walk a higher path. She doesn't speak for me. Nice to know that you have a standard for the left and apparently none for the GOP.

Laugh away, your path runs underground straight to hell. Enjoy the walk.

Laugh away, your path runs underground straight to hell. Enjoy the walk.

Now why would you jump in this conversation you are not a part of in a thread you just now came to just to take a shot at me I wonder?

So I'm going to hell you say? Why so personal?

Theoretical question- What if the Guggenheim offered the Obama WH a lawn jockey? I mean, something like a toilet, that really bespoke of the curator's feelings for POTUS?Is that befitting for the office of the President?

Look, I don't expect liberals to have class, or walk the walk, or do as they say. However, I can call out this ungracious, uncivil and vulgar stunt for what it is.

Theoretical question- What if the Guggenheim offered the Obama WH a lawn jockey? I mean, something like a toilet, that really bespoke of the curator's feelings for POTUS?Is that befitting for the office of the President?

Look, I don't expect liberals to have class, or walk the walk, or do as they say. However, I can call out this ungracious, uncivil and vulgar stunt for what it is.

So you are going from a gold toilet to a hypothetical racist comparison and this is your equivalence example? Preach to me more about "class".

Seriously? You think you and your ilk never throw stones? You guys are the tops when it comes to hurling stones then claiming victimhood.

So you are going from a gold toilet to a hypothetical racist comparison and this is your equivalence example? Preach to me more about "class".

Straw man racist accusation.
Would you be offended if the Guggenheim offered the Obamas a toilet when they asked for a painting? Would you be offended if they offered a lawn jockey?

I posit the bottom line is complete lack of respect for the office of President and equally wishing to befoul the "People's House" with a crass insult to the people occupying it.

Seriously? You think you and your ilk never throw stones? You guys are the tops when it comes to hurling stones then claiming victimhood.

Of course we do.
Should the Guggenheim have insulted Obama in this crass manner, I would have called it out for the disgusting act it is.
Fact.

They could have said "no" politely, instead of adding the political exclamation mark.
It would have been the grown up thing to do.

It is a good time to be a comedian.. Trump and his WH just keeps giving comedians material daily, and with both hands.

Seriously? You think you and your ilk never throw stones?

I said no such thing. He was referencing Michelle Obama's quote of we go high when they go low. That's her not me.

You guys are the tops when it comes to hurling stones then claiming victimhood.

And you guys, like this fine example, are the kings of projection.

Straw man racist accusation.
Would you be offended if the Guggenheim offered the Obamas a toilet when they asked for a painting? Would you be offended if they offered a lawn jockey?

I posit the bottom line is complete lack of respect for the office of President and equally wishing to befoul the "People's House" with a crass insult to the people occupying it.

Referencing a black man with a lawn jockey... it's racists. Play coy all you want. Spare us all with the faux right wing... and yes you are right wing... concern for the repsect of the office of the president. We saw what "respect" you all had for the last eight years. Then you elect a guy with no respect for the office or anyone that isn't kissing his ass.

I said no such thing. He was referencing Michelle Obama's quote of we go high when they go low. That's her not me.

And you guys, like this fine example, are the kings of projection.

Right.... you are such a victim.

Back
Top Bottom