• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The U.S. national debt is rising by $1 trillion about every 100 days

If you wouldn't mind a novice approaching you asking for some help, - - - well, here it is happening.

For me to try and learn I'd like to start with that point that people aren't shopping like it is pre 1983.

What shopping habits are you referring to? And thank you for your help.
I don't know exactly when people stopped shopping for groceries the way they did in previous years, but we cannot deny changes in consumer behavior... tremendous changes.

There wasn't Walmart or Amazon (which is also Whole Foods) around back then. Hell, you could smoke on an airplane in 1983. I whole-heartedly assume people who bought food were more prone to cooking it in 1983. The microwave safe tray wasn't invented until 1986.

Have you seen the prices on doordash / grubhub / ubereats? ;)

I don't know exactly when people stopped shopping for groceries the way they did in previous years, but we cannot deny changes in consumer behavior... tremendous changes.

There wasn't Walmart or Amazon (which is also Whole Foods) around back then. Hell, you could smoke on an airplane in 1983. I whole-heartedly assume people who bought food were more prone to cooking it in 1983. The microwave safe tray wasn't invented until 1986.

Have you seen the prices on doordash / grubhub / ubereats? ;)

I am fully aware of all you posted for an answer, but do you have some sort of research paper that outlines how the changes you cite affect macro-economics in the United States?

Or maybe you are simply speculating of your own accord? I mean, that's fine by me, if you are. I'm just tried to put all the pieces of the puzzle together and yours is just a part of the puzzle.

By the way, to add to your list about how we consume food items, did you ever have to eat C-Rations before the military started getting those fancy MREs? Did you know we used to be given little packs of cigarettes in our C-Rations? Funny, too - - - you remind me of the first time I saw a microwave; at K16 in the ROK while grabbing a bite to eat during refueling. I understand the ROK executive branch uses that airfield now. Also where my girlfriend and I found a spy hole. Really; dug into the top of a hill. Man, that was a freaky thing. Cops sure did freak out along with me after my girlfriend went to get them. They didn't believe her, at first. I didn't even dare try and go into the hole until they got there and was not even sure if there was a human inside --- there wasn't.

do you have some sort of research paper that outlines how the changes you cite affect macro-economics in the United States?
No.

My point wasn't derived from a research perspective. I'm sure you are capable of learning about the mechanics behind CPI methodology in a manner that suits your desire.
Or maybe you are simply speculating of your own accord? I mean, that's fine by me, if you are. I'm just tried to put all the pieces of the puzzle together and yours is just a part of the puzzle.
Someone (probably many) in this thread is not happy that YoY CPI isn't higher than it is, and so here we are.

I'm not necessarily a CPI guy for all intents and purposes regarding these discussions because they're mainly centered around cost of living and not inflation.

I'm not necessarily a CPI guy for all intents and purposes regarding these discussions because they're mainly centered around cost of living and not inflation. ???

Something Will Have to Give
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) warned Tuesday that America’s recent economic performance is partially the result of the country’s unsustainable fiscal practices, creating risks for the global economy.

“The exceptional recent performance of the United States is certainly impressive and a major driver of global growth, but it reflects strong demand factors as well, including a fiscal stance that is out of line with long-term fiscal sustainability,” the IMF wrote in its latest World Economic Outlook.

Back
Top Bottom