• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Purpose Of The Bill Of Rights

You have a natural right to defend yourself with a gun. I have a natural right to not be intimidated by people with guns. Those rights are doomed to be in conflict. If you don't think so try marching in front of my house carrying your gun.

You have a natural right to not be attacked by people with guns. You don’t have a natural right to be a delicate flower frightened by law abiding citizens that happen to be carrying firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...you don’t have a natural right to be a delicate flower frightened by law abiding citizens that happen to be carrying firearms...

Yes you do

If a bunch of people walked around my neighborhood carrying guns, I would not feel safe. Same if they walked around carrying knives or swords.

It would be intimidating.

Yes you do

If a bunch of people walked around my neighborhood carrying guns, I would not feel safe. Same if they walked around carrying knives or swords.

It would be intimidating.

That’s your problem. No different if you feel threatened by the presence of several young black men.

The Bill of Rights is just the first 10 changes of many we've made to the Constitution as time goes on. It's a living document and we've used amendments to change or strike out older amendments. There is no provision preventing the first 10 from being edited.

The US Constitution and the Bill of Rights have made the US the Greatest most Prosperous nation in all Human history. Arguably the only nation that has been such a net good that is has been a benefit to the rest of the world as much as itself. I don't claim it's perfect but no one sane would argue that the world without the US is a much darker place.

I always wonder why do Leftists want to fundamentally destroy the best thing Humans have ever created? Is it because their Ideology played not part in making America Great? Please tell me.

The US Constitution and the Bill of Rights have made the US the Greatest most Prosperous nation in all Human history. Arguably the only nation that has been such a net good that is has been a benefit to the rest of the world as much as itself. I don't claim it's perfect but no one sane would argue that the world without the US is a much darker place.

I always wonder why do Leftists want to fundamentally destroy the best thing Humans have ever created? Is it because their Ideology played not part in making America Great? Please tell me.

I don't recall suggesting we do change the bill of rights, Johnny Strawman, just that we legally could change it like any other amendment.

Now explain to me why the right always has to devolve into exaggerated hysteria and fight against arguments nobody made. Please tell me.

I don't recall suggesting we do change the bill of rights, Johnny Strawman, just that we legally could change it like any other amendment.

Now explain to me why the right always has to devolve into exaggerated hysteria and fight against arguments nobody made. Please tell me.

"Living Document" "Edited." those are the euphemisms Leftist use for changing or eliminating the Constitution.

The US Constitution guarantees our freedoms by restricting the power of Government. Leftist hate this, a collectivist society can not function without the state controlling everything. This is why Obama considers the Constitution a "Charter of Negative Liberties."

You have issues with the United States Supreme Court that are too numerous in scope to interest this duck in creating a comprehensive index.

Consider natural law. If it is natural law that you should be allowed to own a gun, it is also clear that it is natural law that I should in turn be able to take your gun away from you. The bird with the biggest gun would be the only gun owner.

The minnow eats the fly and the duck eats the minnow. The Law of the Jungle baby.

That is only natural.

natural law is ones inherent rights of being able to do things, however your natural rights cannot infringe on mine that is why 1 person cannot kill another without repercussions of the law.

government is created to secure rights of the people and thats its sole purpose.

Last edited:
natural law is ones inherent rights of being able to do things, however your natural rights cannot infringe on mine that is why 1 person cannot kill another without repercussions of the law.

government is created to secure rights of the people and thats its sole purpose.

Of course my natural rights can be in conflict with yours.

As for your last statement? FALSE!

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.."

Last edited:
Well with regard to the 2A, many would argue that repealing it to allow for gun control would actually increase personal freedom.

Because gun control will reduce gun crime like mass shootings.
They could argue that, but they would still be wrong.
If the government restricts the rights of an individual in any way, to less than it was,
it is a loss of personal freedom.
Also it is unclear if gun control would reduce crimes of violence.
Would you agree that the people who commit mass shootings, are already breaking other laws?

"Living Document" "Edited." those are the euphemisms Leftist use for changing or eliminating the Constitution.

The US Constitution guarantees our freedoms by restricting the power of Government. Leftist hate this, a collectivist society can not function without the state controlling everything. This is why Obama considers the Constitution a "Charter of Negative Liberties."

If it wasn't a living document we wouldn't have changed it 27 times. Even the bill of rights were changes made years after the fact.

Apparently exaggerating and being a dip**** incapable of understanding basic concepts of our government is an intrinsic trait of far right nutters.

When you're ready to argue against something I've actually said instead of the person you created in your head I'll be here.

If it wasn't a living document we wouldn't have changed it 27 times. Even the bill of rights were changes made years after the fact.

Apparently exaggerating and being a dip**** incapable of understanding basic concepts of our government is an intrinsic trait of far right nutters.

When you're ready to argue against something I've actually said instead of the person you created in your head I'll be here.

The first ten amendments were not changes. An amendment process to correct technical issues is not a living Constitution.

Amendments are additions not fundamental changes. The 18th is the only one that could be described as Leftist, in that it increased State Power over individuals. I ironically it's also the only one to have been repealed.

Of course my natural rights can be in conflict with yours.

As for your last statement? FALSE!

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.."

sorry but you lacking in understanding natural rights, which are at its core life liberty and property.

the preamble is an introductory statement of what the constitution is meant to achieve

the constitution creates the structure of the federal government, delegates it powers and places restrictions on it.

the purpose of government is to secure rights of the people.

That’s your problem. No different if you feel threatened by the presence of several young black men.

I don't want to be racist...if a gang of any color roamed my neighborhood I would be at best concerned.

They could argue that, but they would still be wrong...

In your opinion perhaps

...If the government restricts the rights of an individual in any way, to less than it was...

So the government doesn't have the right to send people to prison in order to make the rest more safe?
Isn't the ability to sleep safely at night in your own home a "freedom" ?

...it is a loss of personal freedom....

And it is also a gain
Indeed over the 350 million+ people in the USA - a definite net gain.

...also it is unclear if gun control would reduce crimes of violence....

Only unclear to those who don't look at the evidence of places/countries with strict gun control
GUN CONTROL WORKS
UK has had ONE mass shooting in 18 years, USA had 345 in 2017 alone.

...would you agree that the people who commit mass shootings, are already breaking other laws?

Irrelevant

And not necessarily in every case.

Take Paddock for instance...what law did he break until he opened fire ? (Unless it's against the law to take a gun into a Las Vegas hotel? IDK, maybe it is)

I don't want to be racist...if a gang of any color roamed my neighborhood I would be at best concerned.
You have every right to be concerned. You dont have a right to deny their rights based on your 'concerns'.

sorry but you lacking in understanding natural rights, which are at its core life liberty and property.

the preamble is an introductory statement of what the constitution is meant to achieve

the constitution creates the structure of the federal government, delegates it powers and places restrictions on it.

the purpose of government is to secure rights of the people.

The only natural law is the law of the jungle. The biggest duck gets to take your gun. That's the way it's always been.

Back
Top Bottom