• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The number of concealed handgun permits has increased for the third year in a row.

dogboy49

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Concealed Carry Permit Holders Across the United States: 2019 by John R. Lott :: SSRN

From the report:

Abstract

The number of concealed handgun permits has increased for the third year in a row. The figure now stands at over 18.66 million – a 304% increase since 2007. It’s also an 8% increase over the number of permits we counted a year ago in 2018. Unlike gun ownership surveys that may be affected by people’s unwillingness to answer personal questions, concealed handgun permit data is the only really “hard data” that we have. Sixteen states are missing from the data because people there don’t even need a permit to carry.

Concealed carry continues to rise in popularity. Ever wonder how many of your friends/neighbors/colleagues have a CCW permit?

7.3% of American adults have permits. Outside of the restrictive states of California and New York, about 8.75% of the adult population has a permit.

In thirteen states, more than 10% of adults have permits, down from just fifteen last year. Arkansas, Oklahoma, and West Virginia fell below 10%, but they are now all Constitutional Carry states, meaning that people no longer need a permit to carry. South Carolina’s concealed carry rate has now risen to above 10%.

Concealed Carry Permit Holders Across the United States: 2019 by John R. Lott :: SSRN

From the report:

Concealed carry continues to rise in popularity. Ever wonder how many of your friends/neighbors/colleagues have a CCW permit?

Prediction, gun banners will crow-in a few years that the number of permits have decreased and claim less are carrying, when in reality, CC has decreased the number of state issued licenses, but also has INCREASED the number of those lawfully packing heat

Prediction, gun banners will crow-in a few years that the number of permits have decreased and claim less are carrying, when in reality, CC has decreased the number of state issued licenses, but also has INCREASED the number of those lawfully packing heat

Probably.

Did you notice that the usual anti-gunners haven't had anything to say about this data yet? I'm curious to see how they intend to spin it to support their narrative......

Probably.

Did you notice that the usual anti-gunners haven't had anything to say about this data yet? I'm curious to see how they intend to spin it to support their narrative......

Very easy to get in some states. I got one and took no class and filled out an online form

Very easy to get in some states. I got one and took no class and filled out an online form

In the free states, no permit is required; as it should be.

From the report:

Good. Although I am sure some of it has to do with democrats screaming for bans on semiautomatic firearms under the guise of an assault weapons ban.Its how we went from having 270 million firearms in the hands of civilians in 2007 to 393 million firearms in the hands of civilians in 2017.

Good. Although I am sure some of it has to do with democrats screaming for bans on semiautomatic firearms under the guise of an assault weapons ban.Its how we went from having 270 million firearms in the hands of civilians in 2007 to 393 million firearms in the hands of civilians in 2017.

when the clinton idiocy expired in 2004, many gun owners or potential gun owners did the following:

1) bought the guns in the configurations that were banned by clinton

2) or converted guns legally sold during the ban to now legal configurations. Example. I had bought my wife (we married in 93, the ban was 9 months later) a colt light weight AR 15 during the ban. The lack of a "bayonet lug" meant nothing but the military surplus fixed stock didn't fit her well (she's 5-5) because that stock was designed for an average sized man. So the minute the ban was up, I put an adjustable stock on it

3) bought lots of the normal capacity magazines that the clinton gun ban had prevented us from buying new during the ban. Every order I made with say Midway USA for other shooting supplies, I'd order a couple more GLOCK 17 mags or CZ 75 MEC-GAR mags. And almost all the competitive shooters I know did that. When Bush was re-elected shortly after the ban expired, prices came way down and most of us took advantage of that. Same when Trump beat gun banning Hillary, prices came down since makers had ramped up production in case Hillary won. So we had a couple good years of it being a buyers' market

From the report:

There's no surprise here. The number of people who carry is way up, with or without permits. As our population becomes more and more contentious, as violence for the political cause becomes ever more acceptable, and even when actual violent crime is down, but even more sensationalized by the MSM, people turn to themselves to provide protection. It's natural.

No one believes the police can protect them, and in fact they are correct. So they take self defense seriously.

Why do gun owners resist mandatory registration of guns but accept being finger printed for a concealed carry license ?

At least you're finger printed in Georgia.

Why do gun owners resist mandatory registration of guns but accept being finger printed for a concealed carry license ?

they don't record what guns you own when you get a ccw license in most states. Mandatory registration is designed to confiscate firearms.

they don't record what guns you own when you get a ccw license in most states. Mandatory registration is designed to confiscate firearms.

No, the CCW permit registers you, not your guns and the application process takes your finger prints in Georgia

Mandatory registration could later be used to confiscate but that's unlikely giver that about 100 million Americans own guns. A mandatory registration would make tracing a firearm far more easy for law enforcement following a gun crime.

No, the CCW permit registers you, not your guns and the application process takes your finger prints in Georgia

Mandatory registration could later be used to confiscate but that's unlikely giver that about 100 million Americans own guns. A mandatory registration would make tracing a firearm far more easy for law enforcement following a gun crime.
no it wouldn't and hawaii that has mandatory registration-last time I researched this issue-admitted that not one crime was ever solved by registration. and the people most likely to cause crime with guns cannot even be prosecuted for failing to register guns

no it wouldn't and hawaii that has mandatory registration-last time I researched this issue-admitted that not one crime was ever solved by registration. and the people most likely to cause crime with guns cannot even be prosecuted for failing to register guns

Of course it would.

Lets say the police are at a crime scene and a gun has been found with a serial number.

The police will know who to question first.

I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe each gun has the equivalent of a ballistics "fingerprint". So even if all the police find is a cou[le of bullets in to victim, the gun responsible can be identified or at least the gun type.

Of course it would.

Lets say the police are at a crime scene and a gun has been found with a serial number.

The police will know who to question first.

I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe each gun has the equivalent of a ballistics "fingerprint". So even if all the police find is a cou[le of bullets in to victim, the gun responsible can be identified or at least the gun type.

well in the real world it doesn't work that way.

well in the real world it doesn't work that way.

In the real world, how does the police finding a firearm at a murder scene help them.

Are you saying a national database where that gun is registered would help law enforcement ?

In the real world, how does the police finding a firearm at a murder scene help them.

Are you saying a national database where that gun is registered would help law enforcement ?

not at all. It hasn't helped them in states where guns are registered and there is no evidence that the registry in Canada helps them. But we do know that registration helps facilitate confiscation and places the burden of proof on citizens rather than the government.

not at all. It hasn't helped them in states where guns are registered and there is no evidence that the registry in Canada helps them. But we do know that registration helps facilitate confiscation and places the burden of proof on citizens rather than the government.

No evidence that a national gun registry would help law enforcement ?

So how does the "real world" work in your opinion ?

"Laws requiring gun owners to register their firearms ensure gun owner accountability and help law enforcement solve crimes and disarm criminals. Despite the clear advantages inherent in registration laws, few states have such laws on the books—and some prohibit them outright..."

Registration | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

"Firearms tracing begins when a law enforcement agency discovers a firearm at a crime scene...tracing is a systematic process of tracking the movement of a firearm from its manufacture...to identify an unlicensed purchaser. That information can help to link a suspect to a firearm in a criminal investigation...Firearms tracing can detect in-state, interstate and international patterns in the sources and types of crime guns. ATF processes crime gun trace requests for thousands of domestic and international law enforcement agencies each year..."

Fact Sheet - National Tracing Center | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

No evidence that a national gun registry would help law enforcement ?

So how does the "real world" work in your opinion ?

"Laws requiring gun owners to register their firearms ensure gun owner accountability and help law enforcement solve crimes and disarm criminals. Despite the clear advantages inherent in registration laws, few states have such laws on the books—and some prohibit them outright..."

Registration | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

"Firearms tracing begins when a law enforcement agency discovers a firearm at a crime scene...tracing is a systematic process of tracking the movement of a firearm from its manufacture...to identify an unlicensed purchaser. That information can help to link a suspect to a firearm in a criminal investigation...Firearms tracing can detect in-state, interstate and international patterns in the sources and types of crime guns. ATF processes crime gun trace requests for thousands of domestic and international law enforcement agencies each year..."

Fact Sheet - National Tracing Center | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

LOL quoting a gun banning organization that advocates registration as a tool to help ban or confiscate guns is hilarious. why don't they ever cite evidence supporting their OPINIONS. Tracing firearms is not the same as registration. and the ATF was caught engaging in dishonesty with its illegal "Forward trace" nonsense during the clinton administration

The ATF would go to gun shops and demand to review 4473s. They would copy or photo 4473s where the firearm being purchases was one of the ones that was subject to the clinton gun ban (prior purchases). They would then claim that those firearms were traced more than non-banned weapons. There was no crime involved in those weapons, they were just creating statistics to fluff the clinton administration.

In my state there is no fingerprints required.

I oppose the registration mainly because it is the first step in a confiscation program. I also oppose it because when, not if but when, the registration system is hacked and posted online gun owners will be targeted for more crimes and harassment agianst them.

I would be willing to entertain the idea of a National Gun licensing program that acts as a CCP recognized in all 50 states. One would need to be licensed to purchase a firearm, but not register what if any guns they own.

In my state there is no fingerprints required.

I oppose the registration mainly because it is the first step in a confiscation program. I also oppose it because when, not if but when, the registration system is hacked and posted online gun owners will be targeted for more crimes and harassment agianst them.

I would be willing to entertain the idea of a National Gun licensing program that acts as a CCP recognized in all 50 states. One would need to be licensed to purchase a firearm, but not register what if any guns they own.

and get rid of the NFA. SBRs, suppressors and hand carried Autos should be treated the same as other firearms in terms of purchase requirements. The 10 month wait nonsense is archaic and is nothing more than harassment as is the 200 dollar tax stamp. Both are clearly unconstitutional

Back
Top Bottom