• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The "Muslim Problem": First hand experience?

Have you encountered "the Muslim problem" first hand?

• No, there are (next to) no Muslims in my environment.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I'm European, but no, there are Muslims, but it's always been peaceful.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I'm European, and yes, I've experienced instances of being harassed on ethnic grounds.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I'm European, and yes, it happens on a regular basis.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm American, but no, there are Muslims, but it's always been peaceful.

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • I'm American, and yes, I've experienced instances of being harassed on ethnic grounds.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm American, and yes, it happens on a regular basis.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • other

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

German guy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
There is a lot of talk about Muslims allegedly taking over quarters of entire cities. Gangs, no-go areas, and so on.

People say they feel "no longer at home" in their home country, because Muslims allegedly do not just exist side to side with them, but actually display threatening behavior -- harassing or insulting Europeans/Westeners, using their high numbers to intimidate them.

I'm curious: How many of you have experienced this first hand? How many have just read about it? And if it's the latter, where have you read or heard about it?

As for myself, all these terrible things you read and hear of, I've never experienced myself. I live in Berlin, and here are plenty Muslims. There are quarters that even have a predominantly Muslim "look" -- if you count shops run by people with roots in a Muslim country, in this case Turkish. I've often been in these quarters, even at night.

I currently do a formation, and in my school, about a third of the students has roots in a Muslim country. Out of 30 students, 8 young women wear a headscarf.

Yet my impression is: There is no problem. I've never encountered hostile behavior by Muslim immigrants which I wouldn't expect from natives too under certain conditions, save for a certain rudeness occasionally (in these regards, not different from the rudeness many natives display occasionally). The headscarf girls in the school don't separate themselves, but join talks with all other students, share their plans and dreams, or talk about the latest movie or PS4 game they played.

I asked some of them if they're wearing the scarf out of religious conviction, or tradition. Many didn't even know a real answer, said they aren't really very religious, said it was just for the sake of their relatives. One said it's both, and when we talked about Islam, I found she's not radical at all -- she expressed regret that Mouhanad Khorchide, a liberal modernist German-Muslim theologician, meets so much hostility from "conservatives".

Two or three Turkish immigrant women do not wear a scarf -- they said they identify as "laicists".

No "parallel culture" in that class, as far as I can see.

What does bother me, are bunches of adolescent male Muslim immigrants, who are annoying, because they're loud, obnoxious and disrespectful on the street -- but as I said above, no real threat. Either you change the side of the street when you see them, or when you do meet them, telling them firmly to just cut the crap will usually do the trick. I've never encountered them becoming a real threat.

There were two more serious incidents in my environment, involving a Muslim perpetrator. But it was possible in these cases to attach individual blame, rather than basing it on ethnicity.

So what about you? Have you first hand experience with "the Muslim problem"?

Last edited:
No first hand experience with "problem" Muslims here.

More so that Texas is a large area and I frequent only a small and rural fraction of it.

And maybe in Texas, it doesn't take a week until they're converted to Christianity. :p

Off-topic, but ... maybe you can help me with a different question: What do I have to look for, when I'm looking for a good Bourbon? Are there brands I should better avoid?

I lived in Orlando up until about a year and a half ago. As a teacher in a fairly cosmopolitan area we had lots of folks from everywhere, my classes were often like mini United Nations summits. So we had a fair share of Muslims. Beyond the norm, I don't think I noticed any particular problems.

However, one of the potential friends [accomplice?] of the older brother in the Boston Marathon bombing was questioned then shot in killed in Orlando. Strange incident as far as I am concerned. And of course we then had that most horrendous Orlando Nightclub massacre. So while not first hand, it was awfully close, I lived about 2 miles from the scene of that shooting in which more people died than any other mass shooting.

So I wont vote, just placing this in the commentary.

Other. 'The Muslim Problem' is a wrong phrase I believe. Their is a very small minority that is causing problems and it is not fair to call it a Muslim problem. The problem is that a very small group of people is forcing their believes onto other people pretty much the same way conservative Christians hold us back from moving forward because they are forcing their believes on people in our society. Sure enough this small group of Muslims also uses violence to achieve their goal and this needs to be stopped. But the bottom line is that the people that we tend to associate with 'The Muslim Problem' are a minority and not representative for the majority of Muslims. Having said all that; I very strongly disagree with all religious influences on the daily lives of all people. And this I think is of much bigger concern to us then just the Muslim problem. The 'Average Joe' does of course like to put the blame an any single group of people because that makes it easier to deal with the problem and understand it. Sadly enough this approach does only work when your assumptions are correct and they are not in this case, with the result being a divided society with the solution for the problem being more out of reach than it ever has been. Me being Dutch I'd like to confirm what the German guy noted earlier. No problems recorded on my side either. Their is however a great deal of misunderstanding. We are doing things in our daily lives that they (People from other cultures in general, so Muslims as will in this context.) do not understand and vice versa they do things that we do not understand at all. Now since I have also lived abroad for more than half of my life, this is not new to me. You see it everywhere. And, and I am speaking for my self here, When I am in an other country I will always try to do like them or at least try to respect their culture while living the life I like myself.

Joey

Last edited:
As far as my European experiences are concerned (by way of actual residence at one time or another: UK, Spain, Germany, Belgium and France, the latter two both briefly), I simply have to vote the second option.

I was geographically closer to the Madrid train bombings in their time than to the London tube and bus bombings (not to mention WTC), but one of these atrocities are the issue of the question here.

As such there were times when I kept my eyes more peeled in the Basque country (or, for that matter, outside of it here) than I would have felt to be necessary in any areas of larger concentration of (for instance) Moroccans or those of Moroccan descent.

And maybe in Texas, it doesn't take a week until they're converted to Christianity. :p

Off-topic, but ... maybe you can help me with a different question: What do I have to look for, when I'm looking for a good Bourbon? Are there brands I should better avoid?

IMHO, Jim Beam, especially the black label variety (if you can find it), is quite good. One problem (issue?) with "bourbon" is that only those made in the state of Kentucky can legally be called a bourbon whiskey but just over the border in Lynchburg, Tennessee a very good "sippin' whiskey" called Jack Daniels is made.

The 7 best bourbons in America - Business Insider

The Dieline Awards 2016: Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Whiskey- Studio MPLS — The Dieline - Branding & Packaging Design

IMHO, Jim Beam, especially the black label variety (if you can find it), is quite good. One problem (issue?) with "bourbon" is that only those made in the state of Kentucky can legally be called a bourbon whiskey but just over the border in Lynchburg, Tennessee a very good "sippin' whiskey" called Jack Daniels is made.

The 7 best bourbons in America - Business Insider

The Dieline Awards 2016: Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Whiskey- Studio MPLS — The Dieline - Branding & Packaging Design

Those two -- Jack Daniels and Jim Beam -- are the two brands I sometimes see in shops here. Haven't seen the black label variety of Jim Beam, though, IIRC -- it's just labelled "Kentucky Straight". There is a Jack Daniels with black label, though, and they indeed call it "Tennessee Whiskey".

Thanks for the info!

I once had a huge problem with an European Muslim.

He gave me normal kebab meat instead of chicken kebab and did not put hotsauce on my shawarma...he was a terrorist bastard!

Next to no Muslims in my immediate area. So, no problems yet. But...Muslim problems are just now beginning. IIRC, the suicide bombing thing is relatively new concept. I believe it was used first in 1982, during the attack on the Marines in Beirut.

Since then, it has become the go-to weapon of choice. So...if we haven't seen it yet in our immediate locales, we soon will. That would be my guess.

There is a lot of talk about Muslims allegedly taking over quarters of entire cities. Gangs, no-go areas, and so on.

People say they feel "no longer at home" in their home country, because Muslims allegedly do not just exist side to side with them, but actually display threatening behavior -- harassing or insulting Europeans/Westeners, using their high numbers to intimidate them.

I'm curious: How many of you have experienced this first hand? How many have just read about it? And if it's the latter, where have you read or heard about it?

As for myself, all these terrible things you read and hear of, I've never experienced myself. I live in Berlin, and here are plenty Muslims. There are quarters that even have a predominantly Muslim "look" -- if you count shops run by people with roots in a Muslim country, in this case Turkish. I've often been in these quarters, even at night.

I currently do a formation, and in my school, about a third of the students has roots in a Muslim country. Out of 30 students, 8 young women wear a headscarf.

Yet my impression is: There is no problem. I've never encountered hostile behavior by Muslim immigrants which I wouldn't expect from natives too under certain conditions, save for a certain rudeness occasionally (in these regards, not different from the rudeness many natives display occasionally). The headscarf girls in the school don't separate themselves, but join talks with all other students, share their plans and dreams, or talk about the latest movie or PS4 game they played.

I asked some of them if they're wearing the scarf out of religious conviction, or tradition. Many didn't even know a real answer, said they aren't really very religious, said it was just for the sake of their relatives. One said it's both, and when we talked about Islam, I found she's not radical at all -- she expressed regret that Mouhanad Khorchide, a liberal modernist German-Muslim theologician, meets so much hostility from "conservatives".

Two or three Turkish immigrant women do not wear a scarf -- they said they identify as "laicists".

No "parallel culture" in that class, as far as I can see.

What does bother me, are bunches of adolescent male Muslim immigrants, who are annoying, because they're loud, obnoxious and disrespectful on the street -- but as I said above, no real threat. Either you change the side of the street when you see them, or when you do meet them, telling them firmly to just cut the crap will usually do the trick. I've never encountered them becoming a real threat.

There were two more serious incidents in my environment, involving a Muslim perpetrator. But it was possible in these cases to attach individual blame, rather than basing it on ethnicity.

So what about you? Have you first hand experience with "the Muslim problem"?

Adolescent males are jackasses in every culture. I'm not suprised that Muslim ones aren't any different in that respect.

I once had a huge problem with an European Muslim.

He gave me normal kebab meat instead of chicken kebab and did not put hotsauce on my shawarma...he was a terrorist bastard!

I'm pretty sure you have no choice but voting for Le Pen, Wilders or the AFD now ... stand up and fight back! Don't let the Muslim hoardes screw you! Your identity is at stake! :lol:

Next to no Muslims in my immediate area. So, no problems yet. But...Muslim problems are just now beginning. IIRC, the suicide bombing thing is relatively new concept. I believe it was used first in 1982, during the attack on the Marines in Beirut.

Since then, it has become the go-to weapon of choice. So...if we haven't seen it yet in our immediate locales, we soon will. That would be my guess.

The first ever suicide bomber was a Russian all the way back in the 1870s.

The Human Use of Human Beings: A Brief History of Suicide Bombing | Origins: Current Events in Historical Perspective

Meanwhile, the "Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam" (aka LTTE, aka Tamil Tigers) were the ones to perfect the technique.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_Tigers_of_Tamil_Eelam#Suicide_attacks

The first ever suicide bomber was a Russian all the way back in the 1870s.

The Human Use of Human Beings: A Brief History of Suicide Bombing | Origins: Current Events in Historical Perspective

Meanwhile, the "Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam" (aka LTTE, aka Tamil Tigers) were the ones to perfect the technique.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_Tigers_of_Tamil_Eelam#Suicide_attacks

I should have been more clear. First Muslim Suicide bombers. It used to be against their religion to commit suicide. That changed in Iran back when they fought Iraq. Khomeini found a way to justify it, and then sent hordes of young men off to trigger land mines in the name of Allah. It worked, and allowed Iran to fight the better equipped Iraqi army to a stalemate.

The Beirut troubles began when Christian militias murdered Muslims who were under Israeli occupation and control. The Israeli turned a blind eye to the massacre. This eventually resulted in escalating violence, which is why Reagan sent in the Marines. IIRC, Assad's dad is the guy who sent the suicide bombers.

It worked again. Reagan pulled the Marines out. And, now suicide bombing is a norm.

I'm pretty sure you have no choice but voting for Le Pen, Wilders or the AFD now ... stand up and fight back! Don't let the Muslim hoardes screw you! Your identity is at stake! :lol:

How can I vote for them, when it was Wilders serving me! Yea he is secretly a Muslim terrorist that owns a Kebab stand on the Costa del Sol.

How can I vote for them, when it was Wilders serving me! Yea he is secretly a Muslim terrorist that owns a Kebab stand on the Costa del Sol.

EU...interesting that pretty soon your name will be a historical example of failed policies. You can never unite people of different languages and cultures. Well...never is a long time.

Maybe someday we will all walk around with translating software in our smart phones that takes what someone else says and feeds understandable language into our brain through a blue tooth like earpiece. On that day, we will be about halfway to that Utopian fantasy of yours.

EU...interesting that pretty soon your name will be a historical example of failed policies. You can never unite people of different languages and cultures. Well...never is a long time.

Maybe someday we will all walk around with translating software in our smart phones that takes what someone else says and feeds understandable language into our brain through a blue tooth like earpiece. On that day, we will be about halfway to that Utopian fantasy of yours.

Don't celebrate too quickly!

The US might well follow suit not long after. You simply cannot unite culturally so vastly different people in a federation. That does not work. Wait till Trump or his successor will be the igniting spark to another civil war!

Maybe the idea of a federation of such totally different states was a flawed idea in the first place... :lol:

Don't celebrate too quickly!

The US might well follow suit not long after. You simply cannot unite culturally so vastly different people in a federation. That does not work. Wait till Trump or his successor will be the igniting spark to another civil war!

Maybe the idea of a federation of such totally different states was a flawed idea in the first place... :lol:

240 years with only one little squirmish. I like our odds. We unite over McDonalds and Football on Sundays.

Seriously, our strength is only that we all have the same language and basically follow the same history. It's all kept superficially shallow for that reason. If people really understood what they were belonging to, they might very well revolt. America is a business. Big business.

240 years with only one little squirmish. I like our odds. We unite over McDonalds and Football on Sundays.

Seriously, our strength is only that we all have the same language and basically follow the same history. It's all kept superficially shallow for that reason. If people really understood what they were belonging to, they might very well revolt. America is a business. Big business.

Good luck!

So the US is a failed country now?

Guessing you have not seen what Google and Microsoft are doing with its translation software eh?

So the US is a failed country now?
Shared histories, common language, blended cultures, assimilation and common interests...we aren't Europe with your 1,000-year hatreds among tribes that are 5,000 years old.

Guessing you have not seen what Google and Microsoft are doing with its translation software eh?

Gee, I wonder where I came up with that translating phone and earpiece line :roll:

Back
Top Bottom