• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The meaning of life

Oft asked. Few ponder. Some do. Depends on your personal views.

You can treat this question philosophically, religiously, even politically if you wish.

But TO YOU, personally, what is the meaning of life?

Take it a step further, if you wish: What is the meaning of YOUR life?
1713641979849.png

TO DO THE ABOVE------------NOW, TOP THAT ONE !!

Life is empty and meaningless, and it's empty and meaningless that it's empty and meaningless.

You can treat this question philosophically, religiously, even politically if you wish.

The friends you make along the way? Rofl

The meaning of life.. which life?

Cyanobacteria?
Earthworm?
Fruit Fly?
Cactus?
Cow?
Ferret?
Orangutan?
Human?

The quest to find meaning is an illusory byproduct of sentience trying to force meaning upon something that simply IS.

That said, it is still 42.

@SNOWFLAKE:

To eliminate all pet cats from the biosphere. That's my meaning, but alas I am lousy at implementing it because I haven't got rid of even one yet.

Cheers be well and NO More Meow Now!
Evilroddy.

I tend to think that the purpose of life, which may or may not be the meaning of life as well, is crude and simple. To procreate. Going more nuanced, it is to leave a better situation for the next generation, regardless of whether you yourself contributed to their numbers.
Another layer on that might be training the next generations so they can carry on improving things.

I tend to think that the purpose of life, which may or may not be the meaning of life as well, is crude and simple. To procreate. Going more nuanced, it is to leave a better situation for the next generation, regardless of whether you yourself contributed to their numbers.
Another layer on that might be training the next generations so they can carry on improving things.
Sounds about right.

There is no meaning of life. There is no creator, no purpose. It simply happened. We don't know why we are here. We are still trying to figure it out.

The thing to do is simply make the best of life. We only live for so long and then we die. We cease to exist. There is no definitive evidence of an afterlife, so we have to make the best of the actual life we do know about while we have the chance.

It is logical to work towards the common good in society because humans are social animals.

We are really lucky to have the lives we do. Human evolution and technological development have produced the advanced lives we enjoy, thanks to those who have come before us, so we should contribute to continued improvement for the benefit of those who will come after us. Pay it forward.

We must take care of the planet which supports us. It is important to be mindful of our environment and climate. Many will want to do this because they have children and grandchildren, etc, but even for those who don't it is wise if they wish to contribute to society.

It would be incredibly short-sided and selfish to take the attitude that the world is ours to use up; and screw succeeding humans. People before us didn't do that to us so it would be wrong for us to do that to future humans.

Be kind to yourself. Be kind to others. Be kind to our habitat. That's how a good human lives a good life.
The above is perfect and it expands on what I concluded 50 years ago - the purpose of life is "to be."

The above is perfect and it expands on what I concluded 50 years ago - the purpose of life is "to be."
.... or not to be? THAT is the question!

And whatever you do, don't suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
:)

Life is meaningful in its own sake. if not this would just be another of zillions of rocks taking up space in the universe.
find your Path

@SNOWFLAKE:

To eliminate all pet cats from the biosphere. That's my meaning, but alas I am lousy at implementing it because I haven't got rid of even one yet.

Cheers be well and NO More Meow Now!
Evilroddy.
Technically, there is another way.

If no more humans, cats no longer pets.

The meaning of life is - there is no meaning to life.
Stop looking for something that doesn't exist.
You heard the phrase "stop and smell the roses"?
THAT is what life is about.
It really is that simple.

The meaning of life is - there is no meaning to life.
Stop looking for something that doesn't exist.
You heard the phrase "stop and smell the roses"?
THAT is what life is about.
It really is that simple.
I would guess when a person has no meaning to their life, it is easy for them to claim there is no meaning.

Life has no inherent meaning. It's whatever we decide it means.

I might be referring to anyone who says there is no meaning to life.
Perhaps it is over your head, as multivita-man said - there is not inherent meaning. Especially collective.
All a person can do is enjoy the time they have, treat others as you wish be treated so that they, too, can enjoy their time.
It isn't complicated.

MY meaning of life or THE meaning of life?

Perhaps it is over your head, as multivita-man said - there is not inherent meaning. Especially collective.
All a person can do is enjoy the time they have, treat others as you wish be treated so that they, too, can enjoy their time.
It isn't complicated.
No, it's not complicated. If you believe there is no meaning to life, or YOUR life, then you are likely to bitch about people who believe there is a meaning.

Back
Top Bottom