• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Gingrich Surge Has Come

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The full article and link can be found on Nate Silver's blog here.

however, the punchline is:

fivethirtyeight-1111-gingrichsurge_romney-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-1111-gingrichsurge_cain-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-1111-gingrichsurge_gingrich-blog480.png

and all others generally remain flat. in retrospect, I find Mitt Romney losing ground to be extremely interesting, and not a little counter-intuitive.

Next week's article: "The Gingrich Surge has Gone".

and all others generally remain flat. in retrospect, I find Mitt Romney losing ground to be extremely interesting, and not a little counter-intuitive.

Well, once Cain supporters started switching to Gingrich, he (Gingrich) started looking like an actual, serious candidate, so Mitt supporters started giving him a second look.

I have a comprehensive list of newt baggage. Just waiting for the right time to post it.

Gingrich is a has-been. The man obviously didn't fare well in the many previous times he aspired to White House, and this time will be no different. Add his past failures (most notably his Contract with America) the fact that he has had his own extra-marital troubles. Together, the events will keep him from the White House. However, while still viable in the GOP primary right now, he does seem to offer a moderate voice against some of his fellow leading GOPers.

Gingrich is a has-been. The man obviously didn't fare well in the many previous times he aspired to White House, and this time will be no different. Add his past failures (most notably his Contract with America) the fact that he has had his own extra-marital troubles. Together, the events will keep him from the White House. However, while still viable in the GOP primary right now, he does seem to offer a moderate voice against some of his fellow leading GOPers.

Yeah, I mentioned elsewhere that if it weren't for his personal troubles and his past history, he'd probably be a more viable candidate.

Exactly, the Republicans don't like any of their choices, especially Mitt Romney. The shotgun wedding is coming.

As much as I would like to see Herman Cain get the hook-up, I would love for Newt to get it.

Gingrich also has a tendency to say/do remarkably stupid things. Like the "literati" press release at the beginning of his campaign. Just one or two more moves like that before the primaries, and he's back in the single-digits where he probably belongs.

Gingrich also has a tendency to say/do remarkably stupid things. Like the "literati" press release at the beginning of his campaign. Just one or two more moves like that before the primaries, and he's back in the single-digits where he probably belongs.

Yeah, here's where I agree with you that he is politically stupid. Not a good move. You can also throw in the fact that he fired almost his entire staff because they disagreed with him.

Newt comes off as too pompous without the credibility to back it up and way too arrogant

Yeah, here's where I agree with you that he is politically stupid. Not a good move. You can also throw in the fact that he fired almost his entire staff because they disagreed with him.

What's wrong with that?

Seems like a lot of people are pre-judging Newt.

Seems like a lot of people are pre-judging Newt.

To pre-judge, one has to make assumptions based on initial impressions. Most folks are past their initial impressions of Newt. He's been around for a long time. At this point it's just judging, not prejudice.

I have a comprehensive list of newt baggage. Just waiting for the right time to post it.

Everyone has baggage - the real question is 'does anyone give a flying **** anymore'

The answer is: no . .. I know all the dirt about Newt and it doesn't compare at all to the dirt that came with Obama which everyone decided didn't matter.

Gingrich is the daddy figure of the GOP candidates.

To pre-judge, one has to make assumptions based on initial impressions. Most folks are past their initial impressions of Newt. He's been around for a long time. At this point it's just judging, not prejudice.

Perhaps we should judge Obama then. No?

Rush Limbaugh the other day, being the conspiracy theorist he is, suggested that republicans are intentionally throwing this election so that they can win the house and the senate - which he says they think is more important than taking the executive branch.

Don't think so. Even though Herman Cain is pretty much a destroyed candidate. People are still supporting him. There are just too many notRomneys, which will make it difficult for Romney to win. I also think liberal media and Fox News prefer Newt Gingrich.

I think nominating Gingrich will be good for the Republican Party. If Romney gets nominated, and he loses in the election. Do you think the Republicans are ever going to nominate a moderate again? Then Republicans will lose the 2016 election as well.

Last edited:
Well, once Cain supporters started switching to Gingrich, he (Gingrich) started looking like an actual, serious candidate, so Mitt supporters started giving him a second look.

hmmm, but we didn't see that happen when Cain sprung up, or (as I recall), with Perry.

Rush Limbaugh the other day, being the conspiracy theorist he is, suggested that republicans are intentionally throwing this election so that they can win the house and the senate - which he says they think is more important than taking the executive branch.

Which honestly makes some sense. Despite the serious hate of Congress right now, the President takes the flak for things he really has little control over. The GOP elite know that a financial recession is going to take 5~6 years to get over. Meaning by the time the economy gets better after 2012, the economy will only really turn around in the later half of a potential GOP candidacy. Well more than enough time to create a real problem for reelection. While the partisan hacks here who have no understanding at all of financial recessions as evidenced by their constant coward-ism on the topic, those in the know in the GOP know better. Limbaugh does have a decent merit based point that Congress is more important. Tie that together with an increasing number of people from all views seeing the GOP as deliberately stalling the economy for 2012 and doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a GOP president who wins 2012 is likely to be in for a hard reelection fight in 2016. We're unlikely to see a real shift towards Democrats in the 2012 Congressional. IMO, Limbaugh makes a lot of sense. I normally don't agree with anything that wanker says, but here I can't help but agree.

hmmm, but we didn't see that happen when Cain sprung up, or (as I recall), with Perry.
You are correct about Cain, but not about Perry. Perry made Romney decline from 25% to 16-18%.

This was of course before he started speaking.

Back
Top Bottom