• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Exact Day You Die

If you could be told the exact date you would die, but not how or why, would you want to know?

Would you want to know how much time you have left, or is ignorance of that specific date truly bliss?

If you'd explain your reasoning that'd be great too. Hopefully not just a simple yes/no answer.

I'd rather not know. It's bad enough to see the years ticking off as we get older. My current state has it that I will probably be dead 30 years from now. At best, I can push it to last another 40. I'd rather not know if the end was due to arrive next Tuesday.

I'd rather not know if the end was due to arrive next Tuesday.

On one hand I hear ya, but on the other....if I knew I had a mere few weeks, I'd jet away from this garbage dump of an area and spend my last few weeks in some tropical paradise.

If you could be told the exact date you would die, but not how or why, would you want to know?

Would you want to know how much time you have left, or is ignorance of that specific date truly bliss?

If you'd explain your reasoning that'd be great too. Hopefully not just a simple yes/no answer.

I’d want to know. The reason? To put my affairs in order, tidy up the loose ends type of thing.
I could then get out of the rat race, do some volunteering and start to enjoy life a bit more instead of worrying about the mortgage and the materialistic side of things.

Yes, I would want to know. I am not afraid of death, and sometimes even welcome it. So knowing the date wouldn't likely give me any anxiety. It might light a fire under by butt to do the things that matter the most.

On one hand I hear ya, but on the other....if I knew I had a mere few weeks, I'd jet away from this garbage dump of an area and spend my last few weeks in some tropical paradise.
I'm a live your life like it's your last day kind of guy. But, along with that comes this deep dread of knowing that my best: the healthiest, fittest, and probably happiest; days are rapidly falling behind me. And, that really bugs me.

I guess the upside with being told it all ends next week is knowing I am not going to languish in some hospital bed for months or spend years on end in a diaper not knowing my name. But if I was told it ends when I am 96, I would be almost certain that close to 20 of those years would be spent living in pure hell.

People would live their lives with reckless abandon and then repent of their wicked sins the day before, at like 11:50 p.m.

Is this the morning anxiety thread. ;)

I think I would pray incessantly if I knew the time of my death.

So you'd waste the short time you have left talking to yourself. Seems legit.

The fantastic magician "The Amazing Randi" had the world's greatest trick all ready for many years. For about 30 years, Randi would, first thing in the morning, write a note which read: "On this date, (he would write the current date down), I, The Amazing Randi will die"

Because, if he did die, and they opened his wallet, he would have pulled off his last, and greatest trick.

Back
Top Bottom