• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Deep State Goes to War with Trump

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The Deep State Goes to War with President-Elect, Using Unverified Claims, as Democrats Cheer - Glenn Greenwald
...Beyond all that, there is no bigger favor that Trump opponents can do for him than attacking him with such lowly, shabby, obvious shams, recruiting large media outlets to lead the way. When it comes time to expose actual Trump corruption and criminality, who is going to believe the people and institutions who have demonstrated they are willing to endorse any assertions no matter how factually baseless, who deploy any journalistic tactic no matter how unreliable and removed from basic means of ensuring accuracy?

All of these toxic ingredients were on full display yesterday as the Deep State unleashed its tawdriest and most aggressive assault yet on Trump: vesting credibility in and then causing the public disclosure of a completely unvetted and unverified document, compiled by a paid, anonymous operative while he was working for both GOP and Democratic opponents of Trump, accusing Trump of a wide range of crimes, corrupt acts and salacious private conduct. The reaction to all of this illustrates that while the Trump presidency poses grave dangers, so, too, do those who are increasingly unhinged in their flailing, slapdash, and destructive attempts to undermine it.

Those whom the gods would destroy they first make mad.

I doubt that any of this will change Trump's support.

According to Rush, all the major players, [news outlets, intelligence agencies, etc] have had this 'report' for months. Yet, the contents were never published at the most important and relevant point in time...during the election.

According to Rush, all the major players, [news outlets, intelligence agencies, etc] have had this 'report' for months. Yet, the contents were never published at the most important and relevant point in time...during the election.

Yep. Linsdsay Graham and John McCain were behind the scenes pushing for the release of this information. They're both disgusting scumbags.

The Deep State Goes to War with President-Elect, Using Unverified Claims, as Democrats Cheer - Glenn Greenwald

Greenwald is spot-on.

The intelligence agencies serve the people, not the other way around. The people get to criticize and insult any part of the government any way they like without reprisal -- even if it's incredibly stupid.

If intelligence agencies go to war with the people they exist to serve, cheering it on is manifestly illiberal, and shameful.

Greenwald is spot-on.

The intelligence agencies serve the people, not the other way around. The people get to criticize and insult any part of the government any way they like without reprisal -- even if it's incredibly stupid.

If intelligence agencies go to war with the people they exist to serve, cheering it on is manifestly illiberal, and shameful.

I think it's hilarious that so many partisans who cheered on the FBI publishing a lack of information before the election are now whining about the CIA publishing a set of suspicions after the election.

Does the right not understand how cause and effect works?

Yep. Linsdsay Graham and John McCain were behind the scenes pushing for the release of this information. They're both disgusting scumbags.

On one hand, it's good to see GOPosters trash their own pols.

On the other hand, trump is a draft-dodger like rushblows and nugent.

While Graham and McCain served their Nation .

I think it's hilarious that so many partisans who cheered on the FBI publishing a lack of information before the election are now whining about the CIA publishing a set of suspicions after the election.

Does the right not understand how cause and effect works?

That didn't happen.

Vote all you want. The secret government won’t change.
The people we elect aren’t the ones calling the shots, says Tufts University’s Michael Glennon

In a new book, “National Security and Double Government,” he catalogs the ways that the defense and national security apparatus is effectively self-governing, with virtually no accountability, transparency, or checks and balances of any kind. He uses the term “double government”: There’s the one we elect, and then there’s the one behind it, steering huge swaths of policy almost unchecked. Elected officials end up serving as mere cover for the real decisions made by the bureaucracy.
GLENNON: I think the American people are deluded, as Bagehot explained about the British population, that the institutions that provide the public face actually set American national security policy. They believe that when they vote for a president or member of Congress or succeed in bringing a case before the courts, that policy is going to change. Now, there are many counter-examples in which these branches do affect policy, as Bagehot predicted there would be. But the larger picture is still true—policy by and large in the national security realm is made by the concealed institutions.

IDEAS: Do we have any hope of fixing the problem?

GLENNON: The ultimate problem is the pervasive political ignorance on the part of the American people. And indifference to the threat that is emerging from these concealed institutions. That is where the energy for reform has to come from: the American people. Not from government. Government is very much the problem here. The people have to take the bull by the horns. And that’s a very difficult thing to do, because the ignorance is in many ways rational. There is very little profit to be had in learning about, and being active about, problems that you can’t affect, policies that you can’t change.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2...-won-change/jVSkXrENQlu8vNcBfMn9sL/story.html

In have had my eye on this problem for several years, clearly based upon how Trump appears to be being abused by this secret government I should read this book.

The people we elect aren’t the ones calling the shots, says Tufts University’s Michael Glennon

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2...-won-change/jVSkXrENQlu8vNcBfMn9sL/story.html

In have had my eye on this problem for several years, clearly based upon how Trump appears to be being abused by this secret government I should read this book.

Basically what I have been saying since the 1970s. Of course, some people here, who voted for my award, think that I'm politically stupid...far from it.

A link to NYT or CNN will get dismissed as "fake news" or "ILLEGITIMATE!", but a small e-zine gets a free pass?

Ah. Right. I've worked it out: this article isn't negative about Trump. That's why the people who always post "fake news" and "ILLEGITIMATE!" aren't chiming in with the old chorus....

if its from rush it is obviously a lie

That didn't happen.

It absolutely did.

Comey refused to sign a published report on Russian involvement in the hacks because he didn't want to influence the election [in favor of Hillary]. He turned around and presented a letter to congress alleging new potential evidence (when no evidence was found), explaining to the FBI that he intended to "supplement" the "record" for the American public, in other words, he wanted to influence the election in favor of Trump.

And the right was happy to applaud his little letter, claiming that since he planned it out ahead of time by swearing an unprecedented oath to update congress, he was compelled to issue the letter within two weeks of the election. But now they're crying about the CIA publishing reports and memos that are potentially damaging to the legitimacy of the election, the sovereignty of our country, and even to national security.

A link to NYT or CNN will get dismissed as "fake news" or "ILLEGITIMATE!", but a small e-zine gets a free pass?

Ah. Right. I've worked it out: this article isn't negative about Trump. That's why the people who always post "fake news" and "ILLEGITIMATE!" aren't chiming in with the old chorus....

What are you even talking about?

Basically what I have been saying since the 1970s. Of course, some people here, who voted for my award, think that I'm politically stupid...far from it.

This goes hand in hand with the argument that our federal government has become unmanageable, too large to manage. If the people have in fact lost the ability to manage our government I have to wonder how we will ever be able to beat it back, and thus prevent ourselves from being forced to slave for it. The Progressives are going to have to answer this question with some plausible remedy I think.

And ya people here there and everywhere have a lot to say about people like you and me who think for ourselves, who go where the facts take them appetites of the herd be damned. Trump too. It amuses me the number of people who think that I am going to turn on a dime after they gift me with their way too often unintelligent and uniformed opinions.

The DNC got hacked and now they got busted for making up crap after they lost. By all means, step it in as much as you like. The rest of the country isn't going to stop you. 100 days of this and you may not even exist as anything more than a letterhead.

Stupid isn't the first word that comes to mind. Conspiracy is the word, followed by flatulist.

The DNC got hacked and now they got busted for making up crap after they lost. By all means, step it in as much as you like. The rest of the country isn't going to stop you. 100 days of this and you may not even exist as anything more than a letterhead.

You and your band of trumpeters would have been defending Nixon 44 years ago today.

I can hardly wait for yer 100 days to go by, with the likes of tillerson, sessions and putin as the faces of the trump admin.

674 days to go .

What award that people here voted on are you speaking of, MickeyW ?

You and me both. I have long concluded that the visible players in the White House and Congress have little or no interest in government or accomplishing much of anything other than feathering their own self interests, power, prestige, influence, and personal wealth. They pass broad spectrum ambiguous laws complete with massive funding and turn them over to faceless bureaucrats who then write the rules, regulations, and laws that we, the nobody's, are required to follow. It is a near certainty that the people we elect to represent us don't know what more than a very few of those laws are or how our money is being used.

The result is an ever growing, ever more expensive, ever more all encompassing federal government, too large for anybody to truly understand or fathom what any individual department is doing, let alone all the duplication, interference, overlap, and confusion in how they fit and work together. And faceless bureaucrats are writing almost all the laws that affect our daily lives, many not for the better.

That Trump is seeking out and trying to place people into the system who see the problem and are willing to do what they can to fix it is terrifying to that 'hidden government' that absolutely does not want the status quo disturbed. It is also terrifying to the permanent political class in Congress who also does not want the status quo disturbed.

You and your band of trumpeters would have been defending Nixon 44 years ago today.

I can hardly wait for yer 100 days to go by, with the likes of tillerson, sessions and putin as the faces of the trump admin.

674 days to go .

Don't stalk me, man. I not a Trump supporter. I haven't seen what he's going to do yet, so it's difficult to declare support for him as president, or not. Naturally, you have no such reservations because your party was beached and sea-leveled. OTOH, I'll defend him from the current insanity. No one, public or private, should have to put up with this stuff, and you know it. Hell, you probably still think Harry Reid is a fine fellow, so you'll never admit how rotten this whole thing was. What's next? Was it really Trump who killed Trayvon?

Don't stalk me, man. I not a Trump supporter. I haven't seen what he's going to do yet, so it's difficult to declare support for him as president, or not. Naturally, you have no such reservations because your party was beached and sea-leveled. OTOH, I'll defend him from the current insanity. No one, public or private, should have to put up with this stuff, and you know it. Hell, you probably still think Harry Reid is a fine fellow, so you'll never admit how rotten this whole thing was. What's next? Was it really Trump who killed Trayvon?

Don't call me insane, man.

Of course yer a trumposter, just as you would have defended Nixon.

After defending the GOParty for its unanimous obstruction the last 8 years, welcome to leadership where you have to learn to say YES to things like REPLACE .

Back
Top Bottom