• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The coldest place on Earth is even colder than scientists thought

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The coldest place on Earth is even colder than scientists thought | Fox News

Scientists already knew that the lowest temperatures ever measured on Earth were on a frozen ice ridge in eastern Antarctica, near the South Pole. But they recently discovered that temperatures there can drop even lower than those previously measured.

In 2013, analysis of satellite data pinpointed scattered pockets of intensely cold air on the East Antarctic Plateau between Dome Argus and Dome Fuji — temperatures that dipped to a staggering minus 135 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 93 degrees Celsius).
However, new analysis of the same data suggests that under the right conditions, those temperatures can drop to nearly minus 148 degrees F (minus 100 degrees C), which is probably the coldest it can get on Earth, researchers reported in a new study. [In Photos: The Coldest Places on Earth]
That's impressive!

Very interesting, though I imagine to a human hanging out there the difference between -135 and -148 isn’t going to be noticed. :)

Very interesting, though I imagine to a human hanging out there the difference between -135 and -148 isn’t going to be noticed. :)

Not for very long anyhow.

-135 C, I am guessing the CO2 level is very near zero at that temperature.

There was a story about a guy in Alaska trying to explain the cold to a lower CONUS resident. When asked, “what is minus 40 degrees like?”, he replied, ”it’s a lot like minus twenty, only colder.”

"The coldest place on Earth is even colder than scientists thought" in some small dips and hollows...

Also warmer than we thought in other, much larger, areas.

There was a story about a guy in Alaska trying to explain the cold to a lower CONUS resident. When asked, “what is minus 40 degrees like?”, he replied, ”it’s a lot like minus twenty, only colder.”

I've seen 30 below. I stepped off the ski bus and my feet were cold before they hit ground. It's surreal.

I've seen 30 below. I stepped off the ski bus and my feet were cold before they hit ground. It's surreal.

-29F myself, in Maine during a blizzard, that was too cold.

Minus thirty-three degrees Fahrenheit in Minnesota, my first winter there!
My poor truck, I did a few things to winterize it but apparently not to the level that the Minnesotans warned me about.
It was definitely a learning experience.

Didn't algore and barry tell us that by now there would be no cold spots left on earth? How do leftie retards keep believing in the lie?

-135 C, I am guessing the CO2 level is very near zero at that temperature.

Just read it would take -144C to cause CO2 to sublimate at the concentration of CO2 and pressures there

Just read it would take -144C to cause CO2 to sublimate at the concentration of CO2 and pressures there

I got to wondering about that, so i looked it up:

Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. A block of dry ice has a surface temperature of -109.3 degrees Fahrenheit (-78.5 degrees C). Dry ice also has the very nice feature of sublimation -- as it breaks down, it turns directly into carbon dioxide gas rather than a liquid.

So, below -78.5 degrees C, CO2 freezes. It's still there, but as a solid.

I got to wondering about that, so i looked it up:

So, below -78.5 degrees C, CO2 freezes. It's still there, but as a solid.

Yes but the - 78.5 C freezing point would be for a pure compound. CO2 in the atmosphere is far from pure (400 ppm) so it's freezing point drops. I was surprised by how much though. My answer may be wrong as it was not from a pure science website

Yes but the - 78.5 C freezing point would be for a pure compound. CO2 in the atmosphere is far from pure (400 ppm) so it's freezing point drops. I was surprised by how much though. My answer may be wrong as it was not from a pure science website

Good point. I'm really not sure just when the CO2 in the atmosphere would become a solid. It seems like it would be like water, which freezes at 0 degrees if it's in liquid form (rain, fog), but not if it's a vapor. CO2 doesn't go through a liquid phase, so it might be different.

Good point. I'm really not sure just when the CO2 in the atmosphere would become a solid. It seems like it would be like water, which freezes at 0 degrees if it's in liquid form (rain, fog), but not if it's a vapor. CO2 doesn't go through a liquid phase, so it might be different.

Not all water is removed from the air when it gets below freezing. if it did it would never snow at the poles. The water would have been removed by then

-110 at Hall Beach in northern Canada in the late 80s. In January. Just on the ground long enough to drop off some parts and swap crew members. Was at the same site a year later and was told what a mild winter they were having, only -65. These numbers were with wind chill. In layman's terms; it was ****ing cold.

On the other end of the Antarctic temperature spectrum, if you google “The Nansen waterfall” you will find that there is, from time to time, some surface melt water on the Antarctic ice cap.

Minus thirty-three degrees Fahrenheit in Minnesota, my first winter there!
My poor truck, I did a few things to winterize it but apparently not to the level that the Minnesotans warned me about.
It was definitely a learning experience.

Minus -60, Tower Minnesota back in '96.....I came to realize hell wasn't warm, it was cold.

I have experience colder when I was station in Alaska in the early 80's.....but really, below -60, the cold is just ridiculously painful.

I live in Northern BC, it drops down to -40Cabout twice a year. And often hits -20C. Those two temps are nothing alike. Nothing.

In -20, it's cold, it hurts, the air is dry. You turn your car off for an hour it won't start.

At -40, moisture in the air is flash freezing forming sparkles that look like magic. The cold burns all over your body like your lying on a bed of coal. And if you shut your car off for a few mins, it won't start.

You can most definitely tell the difference between -20 and -40. One is very cold, and the other is "Oh my god I just spit and it froze to my lips upon exit of my mouth"

Interesting, I thought dry ice started forming at about -110 C.

Interesting, I thought dry ice started forming at about -110 C.

I believe it depends on the concentration in the air and the overall atmospheric pressure. As it is being formed from.liquid CO2 having pressure suddenly reduced CO2 conc should be high

I believe it depends on the concentration in the air and the overall atmospheric pressure. As it is being formed from.liquid CO2 having pressure suddenly reduced CO2 conc should be high
Interesting, I wonder if moving from a gas directly to a solid is a form of compression,
and you get some Adiabatic heating from all of those (very low) energy molecules suddenly coming together.
One of my favorite lab demonstrations I did for visiting students was using a vacuum chamber to boil water into ice.

Back
Top Bottom