• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The belief of the various flavors of atheism and/or agnosticism[W:124,144]

The funniest part is knowing that without God there isn't a dang thing under the sun that even matters. We might just as well have never existed.

We could just as well count blades of grass as aspire to land on the moon. It would matter not one bit in the end.

um how can you know that if its death that would have you down i dont thinck an afterlife would need a god

to bad thers no reason to believe in an afterlife but still

Funny, as I think on it, it's all based on emotion. The one thing most here seem to want to avoid at all cost. All value in life is calculated in emotion. Wow. That is a cool revelation.

I get the friends/family/art ideas, I really do. But what is missing is truth and justice and a love that is above these.
There is more I think, and I have good reason to trust the words:

"In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.

you seem right about emotion being the source of value

not beliving in your god dosent seem to take any truth or justice or love out of ones life

The funniest part is knowing that without God there isn't a dang thing under the sun that even matters. We might just as well have never existed.

We could just as well count blades of grass as aspire to land on the moon. It would matter not one bit in the end.

That is very nihilistic. I will say, even with or without a god, I matter to me, and I matter to the people around me. It might not matter in the end, but, so what. In the here and now, people matter, if there is a God, or if there is not a God.. and that is because it matters to me. Knowing there is a God would not change that, and knowing there is not any Gods would not change that. There is always the next adventure, at least up until we die. Then, if there is an afterlife, we find out.. and if there isn't an afterlife, we won't know anything. But.. if you live a life that has meaning for you, that gives meaning enough.

Looking to understand your point of view from a reasoned perspective. This is about Christ specifically, based on what we know if Him via the bible.
As I understand reason, there is no objective data that shows God does not exist. There are a slew of arguments that would attempt to persuade one in that direction, but no objective factual data.
What we are left with is our subjective interpretation (opinion) of the evidence.

What I would love to see laid to rest is the subjective belief that many hold that they know God does not exist. You can't know this. You can believe it, but you can't know it.
I can accept and to some extent respect this: "I believe God does not exist, and here is why..."
What I can't fathom is: "Based on science we know God does not exist."
The last statement was obviously made by someone who does not understand what science is or is aware of information that has not been made public (and without verification it's not valid). It is not a FACT that God does not exist. People who insist God does not exist are voicing an opinion. However ...

For me "God" is just as real as unicorns, leprechauns, and garden gnomes. You may believe that unicorns, leprechauns, and garden gnomes do not exist but you cannot prove it. That makes them as real as "God"

If one lives as though God does not exist based on any of the various subjective interpretations of the evidences, is that not a de facto subjective belief that God does not exist?
Not as I understand those words.

Last edited:
That is very nihilistic. I will say, even with or without a god, I matter to me, and I matter to the people around me. It might not matter in the end, but, so what. In the here and now, people matter, if there is a God, or if there is not a God.. and that is because it matters to me. Knowing there is a God would not change that, and knowing there is not any Gods would not change that. There is always the next adventure, at least up until we die. Then, if there is an afterlife, we find out.. and if there isn't an afterlife, we won't know anything. But.. if you live a life that has meaning for you, that gives meaning enough.

Nothing really matters, you may think it does, but that is just a delusion. I know that I like to believe that things matter to me, my family and friends, but it doesnt really. As you get older you will realize as things pass and friends pass, that nothing really mattered. That being said, it is good to believe that certain things matter, even if it all was a illusion in the end.

Nothing really matters, you may think it does, but that is just a delusion. I know that I like to believe that things matter to me, my family and friends, but it doesnt really. As you get older you will realize as things pass and friends pass, that nothing really mattered. That being said, it is good to believe that certain things matter, even if it all was a illusion in the end.

It might be a delusion in the end, but it matters to me, now, and that is what matters.

Speaking of wrongness. This belief is about as wrong as one can get. Check out the millions killed for non-religious beliefs in the last 100 years.

Why only 100 years and not the past 5,000 years?

It is objective that it matters to them. My own life objectively matters to me.

Thats what you say. You are just sharing your opinion, and that is definitely subjective. It is no different than if you were telling me that you feel a gods presence. And also what matters to you now, may not matter to you latter on. You might become depressed and then nothings matters to you. Or you could lie to me or even yourself.

What matters to you is based on your opinions and emotions, both of which are subjective.

It is objective that it matters to them. My own life objectively matters to me.

No, it subjectively matters to them. Your own live subjectively matters to you. That is the meaning of subjective.

Back
Top Bottom