• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas legislators file bills aimed at decriminalizing marijuana

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
HOUSTON (KTRK) --
Some Texas lawmakers are high on one big idea for the start of the legislative session: decriminalizing marijuana.

Monday was the first day of bill filing for the 2017 legislative session and according to the Texas Tribune, Lone Star State legislators submitted several proposals to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana. Among the bills are those that would create a specialty court for certain first-time marijuana possession offenders, reduce criminal penalties for possession of up to an ounce of marijuana and re-classify convictions for possession of small amounts of marijuana.

Hells yea. That's what I want to see - Texas catching up with Colorado. Let's do this. :)

Texas legislators file bills aimed at decriminalizing marijuana | abc13.com

I was assured by a customer yesterday that pot would be legalized in TX within 2 years. I have no problem with it.

There are so many rather dim-witted and short-sighted social conservatives in Tejas that I can't see it passing.

More states need to do this so people quit moving to Colorado. CA just legalized it, so I'm hoping they start staying in CA.

We wish the same here in Texas. Left Coasters go away.

We wish the same here in Texas. Left Coasters go away.

The actual problem is that they can't stay in CA. It's too expensive. So a lot of people will move out there while they are young and get good jobs, but live poor because of the cost of living. They become acclimated to that culture, but when they want to adult they have to look at other states, and they'll move out to a place that's cheaper to live and bring their CA nonsense with them.

I think I'd pay a tax to subsidize CA if it were agreed that they wouldn't leave CA any longer.

Hells yea. That's what I want to see - Texas catching up with Colorado. Let's do this. :)

Texas legislators file bills aimed at decriminalizing marijuana | abc13.com

Another poster from Texas said they have some of the strictest laws but are one of the most lax in enforcement. I've always said any state in that situation might as well legalize, you just create a low risk/protected black market otherwise. Progress is progress though, I wish you well! Any progress in the bible belt is yuuuge.

RI Governor Raimondo just announced RI will be taking another look at recreational after all the measures that passed last week, I'm hoping it gets fast tracked. With MA going recreational (as well as ME), it shouldn't be long before the rest of New England follows suit.

The actual problem is that they can't stay in CA. It's too expensive. So a lot of people will move out there while they are young and get good jobs, but live poor because of the cost of living. They become acclimated to that culture, but when they want to adult they have to look at other states, and they'll move out to a place that's cheaper to live and bring their CA nonsense with them.

I think I'd pay a tax to subsidize CA if it were agreed that they wouldn't leave CA any longer.

It's been an issue here for years.

If they become their own country, we could deny visas. ;)

This will create one hell of a black market. The cartels are going to exploit the hell out of it.

There already is a black market. And cartels are already exploiting the hell out of it because it's illegal.

There already is a black market. And cartels are already exploiting the hell out of it because it's illegal.

From what I've seen, the price for decent stuff is around $20 a gram. Same as they charge in pot shops.[from what I've heard] The only difference is the variety.

This will create one hell of a black market. The cartels are going to exploit the hell out of it.

The best way to eliminate the black market is to make it compete with a legitimate one.

Ah, marijuana.

The faster this particularly stupid branch of the spectacular failure known as the "War on Drugs" falls around the country, the better.

The best way to eliminate the black market is to make it compete with a legitimate one.

Yeah, and putting something like 25% tax rate on the drug isn't exactly going to kill off the black market. States are decriminalizing it because they can see the paper flowing in from their stupid high tax rates.

Exactly backwards and 100% wrong.
Must be a troll.

Doesn't Texas have a big prison industry?

They need to lock up as many people as they can to keep the money flowing so I wouldn't get too excited about this.

Just sayin'....

What!? You mean our friendly neighborhood drug dealer isn't a legitimate businessman?

From what I've seen, the price for decent stuff is around $20 a gram. Same as they charge in pot shops.[from what I've heard] The only difference is the variety.

And that it's legal in one case, and in that case a bunch of that money goes to the State. Consumer price with tax is pretty close to illegal prices, but it's a lot nicer not having to seek out a drug dealer and just going to a store instead.

Back
Top Bottom