• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court hears religious tolerance case of postal worker who didn't work Sundays

so that’s why the left fought so hard to repeal blue laws
"The left" is not trying to repeal blue laws because of some persecution conspiracy you have so you can start taking yourself off of the cross. The actual reason is because I want two days off to do stuff and would rather not be locked in my house or go hiking for my second day off.

You have no right as a theist to prohibit it
Actually, yes the government has the right to prohibit it. This has been continually upheld by the courts as a valid exercise of seculsr power
Tradition alone is not a valid or good enough reason to do something.
Actually, it is. If you’re arguing outlawing traditions by legislation you have to make the argument and you don’t have a reason other then bias

"The left" is not trying to repeal blue laws because of some persecution conspiracy you have so you can start taking yourself off of the cross. The actual reason is because I want two days off to do stuff and would rather not be locked in my house or go hiking for my second day off.
You don’t have a right to certain types of labor though. Maybe it is good to have time for family and reflection

You don’t have a right to certain types of labor though. Maybe it is good to have time for family and reflection
I never said it was a constitutional right but okay.

If the Court sides with the mail carrier, many, many more religious exemptions will come.

Will the Supreme Court open yet another Pandora's Box?

Maybe it's time to bring back blue laws.
Religious accommodations are already made for people in the work place

Because America is a culturally Christian country and Sunday is the day of rest.
Sunday is not the day of rest for Jews, Seventh Day Baptists and Seventh Day Adventists. For them Saturday is a day of rest.
Blue laws have long been upheld by the courts as not being imposition of religious practice.
You are wrong. Blue Laws have always be advocated by religious groups. No non-religious groups have ever advocated for the institution of Blue Laws.

"The term blue law ... historically defined a body of regulations designed to preserve the Sabbath by proscribing most labor on that day. Some such restrictions date to as early as the 13th century in England. Colonial settlements enacted similar laws with the explicitly religious intent to prevent unseemly activities on the Sabbath."

"The earliest laws in North America addressing Sunday activities and public behavior were enacted in the Jamestown Colony in 1619 by the First General Assembly of Virginia. Among the 70 laws passed by the Assembly was a mandate requiring attendance by all colonists at both morning and afternoon worship services on Sundays. The laws adopted that year also included provisions addressing idleness, gambling, drunkenness, and excessive apparel.[12] Similar laws aimed at keeping the Sabbath holy and regulating morals were soon adopted throughout the colonies.[13]"

Forcing someone to go to church on Sunday would be unconstitutional mandating no labor on Sunday is perfectly constitutional.
Sunday blue laws raise First Amendment concerns because they favor Christianity
As such, the laws raised constitutional concerns under the First Amendment. The establishment clause of the First Amendment specifically prohibits any law “respecting an establishment of religion.” By designating Sunday as a Sabbath and by restricting the activities of individuals on that day, states with Sunday blue laws were arguably favoring Christianity over religions that celebrate different Sabbaths.
Litigation over Sunday laws was common throughout the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century.

The Supreme Court finally ruled on the matter in 1961 in McGowan v. Maryland, a case filed by employees of a large department store ....They argued that the statute was intended to encourage church attendance and to induce those with dissenting religious beliefs to join predominant religious groups in their Sabbath.

The court, while acknowledging the religious origins of the Sunday blue laws, held that they were constitutional.
(And) were permissible regulations under the state’s police powers to regulate in the interest of public health, safety, welfare, and morals and that the regulations sought to provide a day for leisure and family, not to impose a particular set of religious practices.

Sunday is not the day of rest for Jews, Seventh Day Baptists and Seventh Day Adventists. For them Saturday is a day of rest.
So what? America is not Israel and so we are under no obligation to base public policy on such a tiny part of the population
You are wrong. Blue Laws have always be advocated by religious groups. No non-religious groups have ever advocated for the institution of Blue Laws.
Even if granting that as true, it’s wholly irrelevant
"The term blue law ... historically defined a body of regulations designed to preserve the Sabbath by proscribing most labor on that day. Some such restrictions date to as early as the 13th century in England. Colonial settlements enacted similar laws with the explicitly religious intent to prevent unseemly activities on the Sabbath."

"The earliest laws in North America addressing Sunday activities and public behavior were enacted in the Jamestown Colony in 1619 by the First General Assembly of Virginia. Among the 70 laws passed by the Assembly was a mandate requiring attendance by all colonists at both morning and afternoon worship services on Sundays. The laws adopted that year also included provisions addressing idleness, gambling, drunkenness, and excessive apparel.[12] Similar laws aimed at keeping the Sabbath holy and regulating morals were soon adopted throughout the colonies.[13]"

Sunday blue laws raise First Amendment concerns because they favor Christianity
As such, the laws raised constitutional concerns under the First Amendment. The establishment clause of the First Amendment specifically prohibits any law “respecting an establishment of religion.” By designating Sunday as a Sabbath and by restricting the activities of individuals on that day, states with Sunday blue laws were arguably favoring Christianity over religions that celebrate different Sabbaths.
Litigation over Sunday laws was common throughout the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century.

The Supreme Court finally ruled on the matter in 1961 in McGowan v. Maryland, a case filed by employees of a large department store ....They argued that the statute was intended to encourage church attendance and to induce those with dissenting religious beliefs to join predominant religious groups in their Sabbath.

The court, while acknowledging the religious origins of the Sunday blue laws, held that they were constitutional.
(And) were permissible regulations under the state’s police powers to regulate in the interest of public health, safety, welfare, and morals and that the regulations sought to provide a day for leisure and family, not to impose a particular set of religious practices.
So all of this long winded rambling finally ends with you acknowledging even the Warren court wouldn’t strike down Sunday Blue laws, and thus they are wholly constitutional, thanks

Yeah, but most of us don't give a shit what your collection of bronze age fairy tales say.
Those laws are to keep truckers off the roads when the citizenry is traveling on weekends. It's not to "keep the sabbath holy". Same with stores closing. It's to give workers "family time," something most European countries support and encourage. France has the same laws concerning trucks on the road on the weekends. It makes it so much easier to drive on those roads for everyone else and the French are known to take their weekends out of town to visit family or friends or see the countryside. They certainly are not in church. Neither the French nor Norwegians are known for being religious these days.

Those laws are to keep truckers off the roads when the citizenry is traveling on weekends. It's not to "keep the sabbath holy". Same with stores closing. It's to give workers "family time," something most European countries support and encourage.
So having a drugstore closed on Sunday prevents the use of trucks?

So having a drugstore closed on Sunday prevents the use of trucks?
No, there are laws that require trucks to stay off the highways on Saturdays and Sundays. At least in France where I have traveled many times.

No, there are laws that require trucks to stay off the highways on Saturdays and Sundays. At least in France where I have traveled many times.
Here it's because of batshit insane conservative christians.

So what? America is not Israel and so we are under no obligation to base public policy on such a tiny part of the population
So, no accommodation of religion except for your religion.
Even if granting that as true, it’s wholly irrelevant.
It's not irrelevant. It is contradicting your statement that "Blue laws have long been upheld by the courts as not being imposition of religious practice."
So all of this long winded rambling finally ends with you acknowledging even the Warren court wouldn’t strike down Sunday Blue laws, and thus they are wholly constitutional, thanks
The SC acknowledged that they were constitutional in 1961 only after years of fighting over them and only after most of the religious language of the laws had been removed and the laws were acknowledged to be for "state’s police powers to regulate in the interest of public health, safety, welfare, and morals and that the regulations sought to provide a day for leisure and family, not to impose a particular set of religious practices."

You have no right as an athiest to engage in any particular trade on Sunday
Regardless of religious persuasion, as a business owner I should be able to run my business on any day I want. The government mandating what days I can be open is a huge overreach and a slippery slope. AFAIK, there are no Federal laws or regulations establishing any laws or "rights" of business owner's operating hours, nor should there be. Local municipalities in the bible belt may have those, but if challenged by a business owner who wanted to operate on Sundays, they could be struck down as unconstitutional. Separation of church and state.....

If the Court sides with the mail carrier, many, many more religious exemptions will come. Will the Supreme Court open yet another Pandora's Box? Maybe it's time to bring back blue laws.
You are right if the court sides with Groff there will be many more religious exemption. This is about much more than just recognition of Sunday off for a Christian worker. As Rachel Laser, president and CEO of Americans United, said, "This suit is really a wolf in sheeps clothing"

"(Groff v DeJoy) could dramatically extend religious privileges in the workplace – in ways that could harm other employees.
That it was brought by First Liberty Institute – a powerful member of the billion-dollar shadow network of Christian Nationalists seeking to undermine church-state separation and force all of us to live by their narrow beliefs – tells you a lot about the ulterior motives behind the case.
First Liberty represents a part-time, rural mail carrier who ...... didn’t want to work Sundays, citing his evangelical Christian religious beliefs. Over the course of 14 months, he refused to show up for 24 Sunday shifts. This led other employees – all church-going Christians – to resign, transfer, file grievances or cover for him while he watched NASCAR after church on Sundays. He quit and then sued the Postal Service for discrimination, with First Liberty claiming that USPS didn’t do enough to accommodate him."

...... the postal carrier’s refusal to show up for work did affect others. If the Supreme Court sides with him and First Liberty, there’s no telling how far religious demands in workplaces will go...... It has the potential to give Christian Nationalist groups a new and powerful weapon to misuse religious freedom as a license for discrimination against LGBTQ people, women, people seeking reproductive health care, religious minorities and others."

This is not a simple case of religious discrimination on the job nor is it about reinstating Blue Laws.

Will employee religious needs be met? I have mixed feelings on this. As an employer, you have a job to get done.

And sometimes, that's on a Sunday.

If it were me, I wouldn't take a job that required I even remotely stand the chance of working on Sunday. However, will the religious needs of employees fall under the umbrella of 'reasonable accommodation'?

=============================

WASHINGTON —
The Supreme Court is being asked to decide under what circumstances businesses must accommodate the needs of religious employees.

A case before the justices Tuesday involves a Christian mail carrier in rural Pennsylvania. He was told that as part of his job he'd need to start delivering Amazon packages on Sundays. He declined, saying his Sundays are for church and family. U.S. Postal Service officials initially tried to get substitutes for the man’s shifts, but they couldn’t always. When he didn’t show, that meant more work for others. Ultimately, the man quit and sued for religious discrimination.

The case is the latest religious confrontation the high court has been asked to referee. In recent years, the court's 6-3 conservative majority has been particularly sensitive to the concerns of religious plaintiffs. That includes a ruling last year in which the court said a public high school football coach should be allowed to pray on the field after games. Another case the court is weighing this term involves a Christian graphic artist who wants to create wedding websites, but doesn't want to serve gay couples.

If it is part of the job description and he took the job, tough shit.

I had a flight attendant once who refused to serve alcohol because of her religion, she lost, its what she agreed to do as part of the job.

Knowing what you are in for is key to choosing the job. HC workers know they have to work weekends. Postal workers, I am sure, are being told they may have to.
So did this guy, which I adore, btw.

If the Court sides with the mail carrier, many, many more religious exemptions will come.
Good!
Hopefully so!
So, no accommodation of religion except for your religion.

It's not irrelevant. It is contradicting your statement that "Blue laws have long been upheld by the courts as not being imposition of religious practice."
You cited a Supreme Court ruling saying exactly that. So you are admitting I was right
The SC acknowledged that they were constitutional in 1961 only after years of fighting over them and only after most of the religious language of the laws had been removed and the laws were acknowledged to be for "state’s police powers to regulate in the interest of public health, safety, welfare, and morals and that the regulations sought to provide a day for leisure and family, not to impose a particular set of religious practices."
So, again, the Supreme Court said blue laws are perfectly acceptable

Knowing what you are in for is key to choosing the job. HC workers know they have to work weekends. Postal workers, I am sure, are being told they may have to.
So did this guy, which I adore, btw.

True... Not working on the sabbath has ties back when the Jews couldn't even pick up their mats on that day. So when Jesus healed the lame dude and told him to "pick up your mat and walk' which he did, the Jewish leaders went bonkers. :)

True... Not working on the sabbath has ties back when the Jews couldn't even pick up their mats on that day. So when Jesus healed the lame dude and told him to "pick up your mat and walk' which he did, the Jewish leaders went bonkers.
It would seem if Jesus could work on the Sabbath so could everybody else. That said; work is not always fascinating or compelling; much is repetitive and dull and people cannot work 7days a week year after year. Most cultures seem to recognize this even in slavery and give a day off. The pity is that religion sees this day as belonging to them and eagerly puts another dull repetitive task on the shoulders of mankind. Fortunately people have found a way around the depression os work and religion with festivals. Man needs joy and fun and rest. Without them you have very sick societies.

Will employee religious needs be met? I have mixed feelings on this. As an employer, you have a job to get done.

And sometimes, that's on a Sunday.

If it were me, I wouldn't take a job that required I even remotely stand the chance of working on Sunday. However, will the religious needs of employees fall under the umbrella of 'reasonable accommodation'?

=============================

WASHINGTON —
The Supreme Court is being asked to decide under what circumstances businesses must accommodate the needs of religious employees.

A case before the justices Tuesday involves a Christian mail carrier in rural Pennsylvania. He was told that as part of his job he'd need to start delivering Amazon packages on Sundays. He declined, saying his Sundays are for church and family. U.S. Postal Service officials initially tried to get substitutes for the man’s shifts, but they couldn’t always. When he didn’t show, that meant more work for others. Ultimately, the man quit and sued for religious discrimination.

The case is the latest religious confrontation the high court has been asked to referee. In recent years, the court's 6-3 conservative majority has been particularly sensitive to the concerns of religious plaintiffs. That includes a ruling last year in which the court said a public high school football coach should be allowed to pray on the field after games. Another case the court is weighing this term involves a Christian graphic artist who wants to create wedding websites, but doesn't want to serve gay couples.

The job he took never used to work on Sundays. I think he has standing here in this case. Some years back, there was an announcement that the postal service would start delivering on Sundays, based on a large Amazon contract the received.

Reading the article, I am not in favor of new Christain employees given the favorable Sunday's off, but this man was already established as having Sunday's off.

I think if we can accomidate men in skirts talking to small children about sex, we can let this person have Sunday off.
Why do you lie like that?

I was in Germany last week, almost all shops where closed on Sundays.

Back
Top Bottom