• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

STUFFING....Do you like stuffing?

It's the same deal. Pepperidge Farm for a loaf of bread in my marketplace runs around 4.00 for a rather small loaf of bread. Is it worth it? Yeah I think so. But the same products can be found in in the outlets are the same but only less in price.

Have not seen it in years, figured it was not made anymore.

Mom only used it for stuffing and when she needed to pack something like bologna salad for a picnic, Wonder Bread would not stand up to that.....buttered Pepperidge Farm it was...and I proclaimed it GOOD!

Have not seen it in years, figured it was not made anymore.

Mom only used it for stuffing and when she needed to pack something like bologna salad for a picnic, wonder bread would not stand up to that.....buttered Pepperidge Farm it was...and I proclaimed it GOOD!

Well they are still making it Hawk and if you desire it back in your area, make your grocers know.

Well they are still making it Hawk and if you desire it back in your area, make your grocers know.

You are the bearer of Good News tonight....THANX!

:2wave:

You know I dont know that I have seen that on a restaurant menu in 20 years.

We were still cooking that for solders 15 years ago at the 593rd DFAC FT LEWIS

Oh ya. Stuffing is on the menu in a lot of the mom n pop local restaurants. Usually it is with sliced turkey as daily special. I don't eat much at the big chains so maybe they have dropped it. I know it is usually served at a lot of the local buffets. Not the Chinese.

My brother in law just ordered it at The Little Red School House in Honesdale, PA. A great place to eat if your lost in NE PA. I love finding new places to eat in rural areas. Some of the best food you will find is local fire house dinners used to raise money for the fire department. They are usually once or twice a year and I have never been disappointed. A lot of times they have stuffing.

I love stuffing. In my family everyone has a different type. The varieties are endless. Some people use wild rice or the health nuts use wheat and rye. I like them all. That is probably why I weigh 300lbs. I am well stuffed.

Before Pepperidge Farm started producing bags of pre-dried croutons for stuffing. .... My recipe was taking a bread produced from unbleached flour because it produces a denseness needed and dried the slices on cookie sheets sprinkled with poultry seasoning in an oven of around 200 degrees. Basically I was making my own croutons. And the secret to making your own croutons is with bread made with unbleached flour.

Then came the celery/onion. Yes you diced up a significant amount of onions and celery, both by the way are very healthful foods, but in the huge cast iron skillet I put lots of butter to melt and then tossed in the onions and celery to sauté. Butter is a good fat. Then I added turkey or chicken stock to it and let it simmer a while longer and added more poultry seasoning. When it looked like everything had married, I poured the concoction over the croutons a little at a time to toss them in the goodness. When done I placed it in a buttered baking dish and packed it in and baked it covered for 20 minutes at 350. and then uncovered for another 15 minutes. The result is a dressing fit for royalty.

Today I just pick up bags of Pepperidge Farm seasoned croutons it got a whole lot easier.

When we served soldiers back in the day we put eggs in the stuffing, cooking it in giant sheet pans made for cakes....so that we could serve it up in perfect squares.

Neatness Mattered.

I love stuffing. In my family everyone has a different type. The varieties are endless. Some people use wild rice or the health nuts use wheat and rye. I like them all. That is probably why I weigh 300lbs. I am well stuffed.

bl9.gif

Great, thread!

But I'm a little confused. Doesn't anyone use stuffing to, you know, stuff a bird?

And as good as the recipes sound, you've got to have a little sage in there too!

Great, thread!

But I'm a little confused. Doesn't anyone use stuffing to, you know, stuff a bird?

And as good as the recipes sound, you've got to have a little sage in there too!

The government and other assorted minders have told us not to do that if we can help it.....too risky.

But you know me, I do it anyways!

HAWKEYE10, LIVING WILD

Last edited:
The government and other assorted minders have told us not to do that if we can help it.....too risky.

I wasn't aware of that, at all. Oh well, I'm still alive. Pass the mushroom gravy!

I wasn't aware of that, at all. Oh well, I'm still alive. Pass the mushroom gravy!

You are not going to believe this....that was dinner..... Roast Big Ass Chicken because they have more flavor, apple sage dressing (Thus the genesis of this thread), whipped as apposed to mashed potatoes and you being you I expect you know the difference, and mushroom gravy from some gourmet excellent mushrooms my wife picked up from Kroger who has really been impressive and the partly defated drippings because I need my fat dontcha know....

Have I impressed you with my 74 word sentence containing Flair?

parrot.gif

Last edited:
You are not going to believe this....that was dinner..... Roast Big Ass Chicken because they have more flavor, apple sage dressing (Thus the genesis of this thread), whipped as apposed to mashed potatoes and you being you I expect you know the difference, and mushroom gravy from some gourmet excellent mushrooms my wife picked up from Kroger who has really been impressive and the partly defated drippings because I need my fat dontcha know....

Have I impressed you with my 74 word sentence containing Flair?

parrot.gif
You seem to have great taste in food, even if a little less great in political candidates! :2razz:

But yeah, I haven't had a meal like that in awhile. I really miss my grandmother's Polish mushroom gravy, made of course with imported Polish mushrooms. Polish mushrooms are phenomenal.

You seem to have great taste in food, even if a little less great in political candidates! :2razz:

But yeah, I haven't had a meal like that in awhile. I really miss my grandmother's Polish mushroom gravy, made of course with imported Polish mushrooms. Polish mushrooms are phenomenal.

I was asking the man who says THINK! about the quality of my rhetoric but I can roll with you man!

That link to the past matters, a lot of folks dont know that anymore.

We used to be better.

That is how I feel about it. I am back on a diet and working out. I am actually down from 335lbs. I hope to get down to 240lbs. what I weighed in the Army.

I was actually down to 245lbs. before I fell down the cellar steps 2 years ago. A stress fracture in my thigh bone complicated by the rod from my hip replacement took me off my feet for 2 years. Well everything is finally fixed and now starts the fun of losing weight and strengthening my legs again. I was surprised how weak my legs got from staying off them for 2 years.

Stuffing is still on the menu just no seconds or thirds.:lamo

That is how I feel about it. I am back on a diet and working out. I am actually down from 335lbs. I hope to get down to 240lbs. what I weighed in the Army.

I was actually down to 245lbs. before I fell down the cellar steps 2 years ago. A stress fracture in my thigh bone complicated by the rod from my hip replacement took me off my feet for 2 years. Well everything is finally fixed and now starts the fun of losing weight and strengthening my legs again. I was surprised how weak my legs got from staying off them for 2 years.

Stuffing is still on the menu just no seconds or thirds.:lamo

WOW, I did not know.

You are not hooked on Opiods I trust.

Stuffing I think is like meatloaf, lot's of people have never had a good one.

HAWKEYE10, LIVING WILD

I have eaten stuffed turkey at least once every month all of my adult life. Not just my own but all my families as well and nobody has ever got sick. I heard the same thing. They claim the temperature stays in the danger zone too long and can make you sick. I think the trick that has saved us all these years is washing the inside of the turkey well before stuffing and everyone would salt the bird not the stuffing. The salt always made its way into the stuffing. I am just guessing though.

I have eaten stuffed turkey at least once every month all of my adult life. Not just my own but all my families as well and nobody has ever got sick. I heard the same thing. They claim the temperature stays in the danger zone too long and can make you sick. I think the trick that has saved us all these years is washing the inside of the turkey well before stuffing and everyone would salt the bird not the stuffing. The salt always made its way into the stuffing. I am just guessing though.

They decided after 3 decades or something that washing the bird makes more problems than it solves......."DONT DO IT!"....they have science on it....that they got once they got around to asking science...which took I reckon bout 30 maybe 40 years.

Back in the day everyone put salt in the cavity all over before they stuffed it...the point was to flavor the bird mostly but that was not the only point I spect.

WOW, I did not know.

No I don't take them at all. I get constipated real bad from them and I have never been enough pain that I needed them. The problem was they were worried about the rod from the hip replacement coming loose. They wanted the bone to heal completely before I got back on it. So I was ordered off my feet. Then they found an aneurism in the artery right where it goes through the knee. That is when the problems started. For some reason the knee surgery took for ever to heal and the swelling to go away. It got infected a couple of times. But everything is good now. It is amazing what they can do these days. I am back riding my bicycle again. I am hoping to play catch with my nephew this summer.

No I don't take them at all. I get constipated real bad from them and I have never been enough pain that I needed them. The problem was they were worried about the rod from the hip replacement coming loose. They wanted the bone to heal completely before I got back on it. So I was ordered off my feet. Then they found an aneurism in the artery right where it goes through the knee. That is when the problems started. For some reason the knee surgery took for ever to heal and the swelling to go away. It got infected a couple of times. But everything is good now. It is amazing what they can do these days. I am back riding my bicycle again. I am hoping to play catch with my nephew this summer.

I am happy for you man.....

I am happy for you man.....

Thanks. I am so grateful to live in a time when they can actually fix things and my biggest problem is losing weight and exercising.

WOW, I did not know.

Now there is something I haven't had in a while. Now meatloaf is a food that can be better as a leftover. I was trying to think of something different to make and you just gave me an idea. Plus it is nice to use the oven on these cold days.

Thanks. I am so grateful to live in a time when they can actually fix things and my biggest problem is losing weight and exercising.

They have these new drugs such as Jardiance that make you piss sugar, that would be perfect, I hear that the Hollywood starlets are all on them to stay nice and trim.....too bad you probably cant have any.....rules you know.

Back
Top Bottom