• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Study Finds Trump Tax Cuts Failed to Do Anything But Give Rich People Money

Fact is there are two ways of getting out of a recession / depression that is spend your way out of it ( increase the deficit and debt or go into a war like WWII
and spending your way out of it to me seems better then going to war
Have a nice day
Those are both the same thing: 1) deficit spend for domestic purposes; 2) deficit spend for war effort.

They both are deficit spending. WWII, from a fiscal perspective, was nothing more than massive government stimulus, that put people to work building ships, planes, tanks, etc.

Well, like it or not, it becomes a question of fighting a recession.

We have explained why a government should deficit spend in a recession. You have never explained why you think that the national debt is a problem.

We have done this dance many times.

Fact is there are two ways of getting out of a recession / depression that is spend your way out of it ( increase the deficit and debt or go into a war like WWII
and spending your way out of it to me seems better then going to war
Have a nice day

That's actually how Germany escaped the Depression, post-Weimar. They deficit-spent on their war machine, and their economy recovered nicely, before the rest of Europe or America recovered.

Those are both the same thing: 1) deficit spend for domestic purposes; 2) deficit spend for war effort.

They both are deficit spending. WWII, from a fiscal perspective, was nothing more than massive government stimulus, that put people to work building ships, planes, tanks, etc.
Yes they are
but it seems people are more likely to complain more when you spend your way out of it then going to war.
Yes they both increase the debt but with a war people seem to get behind the spending
have a nice day

It also killed off a significant portion of our working population. Currently we spend 66% on domestic programs Social Security Medicare Medicaid and only 6% on defense. We have to remember we are spending other People’s Money and letting people keep more of their money is in keeping with the premise that built this country. Federal income tax is supposed to be for the public good if you were taking money from people without providing them any significant benefit that would be theft. I know the concept of Robin Hood has been tried to incorporate into our government spending but, when you are spending other People’s Money and giving them very little return how long before people decide to take certain things out of your hands And find other methods of getting a better return on their investment? What government system is effective, well run, and efficient? The post office used to be the example people cited until public competition showed that it was not.

The Tax Cuts are working as intended. That's why Trump isn't running on tax cuts. His base (not to be confused with his donors) actually hates them. They tolerate them because Trump promises other things, most of which he can and will never deliver on. Trump is the guy selling you counterfeit watches while his partner, in this case the Republican party, cuts a hole in your pants pocket while you're distracted.

The Tax Cuts are working as intended. That's why Trump isn't running on tax cuts. His base (not to be confused with his donors) actually hates them. They tolerate them because Trump promises other things, most of which he can and will never deliver on. Trump is the guy selling you counterfeit watches while his partner, in this case the Republican party, cuts a hole in your pants pocket while you're distracted.

President Trump did not run on tax cuts last time. I’m sure his campaigns can be based on the strength of the economy which has grown at a rate that “expert“ and his predecessor said was not achievable. Comparing the Republican Party to the guys who cut your pocket and take your watch at the old carnivals would mean I should use a comparison for the Democrat party that they would steal your TV and then help you look for it. If you think it’s fair to call one party hucksters and carnies why can’t you call the other party more aggressively taking your things and then acting like they didn’t

President Trump did not run on tax cuts last time. I’m sure his campaigns can be based on the strength of the economy which has grown at a rate that “expert“ and his predecessor said was not achievable. Comparing the Republican Party to the guys who cut your pocket and take your watch at the old carnivals would mean I should use a comparison for the Democrat party that they would steal your TV and then help you look for it. If you think it’s fair to call one party hucksters and carnies why can’t you call the other party more aggressively taking your things and then acting like they didn’t

Obama had a robust economy, and started with the worst recession since the Great Depression. After fixing the Bish/Cheney mess, he lowered the deficit in 5 of the last 6 years. Even though Trump inherited a strong economy, the deficit has continually skyrocketed under his tenure.

The Tax Cuts helped my mom, who's a business owner here in California. So not completely untrue.

Obama said that “President Trump would need a magic wand to get to 4 percent GDP.” Obama was referring to annual GDP. During Obama's presidency, quarterly GDP rose to over 5% in one quarter and was over 4% in several quarters. Yet, annual GDP never was above 3%.

Well, Trump said he would get 4, 5, and 6% growth. He wasn't talking about quarterly, he was referring to annual. Annual growth under Trump is no better than under Obama (2017 -- 2.8%; 2018 -- 2.5%; 2019, Q1 -- 3.1%; 2019, Q2 -- 2.0%).

Last edited:
We have done this dance many times.

yes jonny, you have done the "post conservative bumper sticker slogans over and over then make excuses to cut and run when asked for specifics" dance. It seems to be your favorite dance.

Instead of a Left leaning biased headline from the Intelligencer, a link to the CRS document would be nice.

er uh nitro, MTA posted a link to the whole article. See how your determination to obediently flail at it you don't realize it was more than a headline. And just so you know, "hey post the source not just an editorial telling you what the source says" is a perfectly legitimate request. I've made that request several times myself to conservatives posting "lying conservative editorial says CBO said" threads. The first thing you need to know is that "left leaning" editorials are not the equal but opposite of conservative editorials. You're just assuming "left leaning" editorials are lying pieces of crap like most conservative editorials. And the second thing you need to know is that the CRS document was linked in the article. But you wouldn't know that because you thought it was just a headline.

Instead of a Left leaning biased headline from the Intelligencer, a link to the CRS document would be nice.

hey nitro, where'd you go? don't tell me you're just another conservative who posts wishful thinking as fact and cowardly cuts and runs when called out. Just so you know, we have plenty of those already.

If this works then the answer to global prosperity is simple. Have all countries agree to start World War 3 but also agree to shoot all the bullets in the air and drop the bombs in some harmless location.

That's actually how Germany escaped the Depression, post-Weimar. They deficit-spent on their war machine, and their economy recovered nicely, before the rest of Europe or America recovered.

If this works then the answer to global prosperity is simple. Have all countries agree to start World War 3 but also agree to shoot all the bullets in the air and drop the bombs in some harmless location.

OR... we could simply spend that same money on our own citizens. How much better could our infrastructure be if we spent WWII money on roads and bridges? And education, healthcare, pensions, etc.

OR... we could simply spend that same money on our own citizens. How much better could our infrastructure be if we spent WWII money on roads and bridges? And education, healthcare, pensions, etc.

Exactly. So this country should immediately triple infrastructure spending. And triple health care spending , and education spending, and pension spending. ( hey sounds like a DEM debate! ) . and why are you leaving out UBI? We should set that at 40k. Can you imagine the prosperity!!!

Exactly. So this country should immediately triple infrastructure spending. And triple health care spending , and education spending, and pension spending. ( hey sounds like a DEM debate! ) . and why are you leaving out UBI? We should set that at 40k. Can you imagine the prosperity!!!

I realize that you are not prone to well thought out posts, and economics certainly isn't your forte, but even you should be able to understand that if military spending isn't breaking the country or devaluing the dollar, then spending the same money on more productive things won't hurt the economy, either.

I realize that you are not prone to well thought out posts, and economics certainly isn't your forte, but even you should be able to understand that if military spending isn't breaking the country or devaluing the dollar, then spending the same money on more productive things won't hurt the economy, either.

Economics is most assuredly my forte especially as it relates to Government spending. Government is an inherently inefficient spender of funds. Which is why public spending should be at the level that is considered necessary and no more. Anything more is counter productive.

Building roads for the sake of building roads is counter-productive.
Sinking money into schools where there is a 69% illegitimacy rate is counter productive.
Sinking money into bloating pensions is counter productive.
Sinking money into an inefficient health -care system is counter-productive.

Economics is most assuredly my forte especially as it relates to Government spending. Government is an inherently inefficient spender of funds. Which is why public spending should be at the level that is considered necessary and no more. Anything more is counter productive.

Sinking money into schools where there is a 69% illegitimacy rate is counter productive.

This answer doesn't exactly bolster your claim that economics is your forte.

Maybe you can point me to some of your older posts that showcase your deep understanding of economics... because I can't remember any.

The deficit history chart doesn't bode well for Republicans.

US_Federal_Deficit_thru_9_2019.JPG

Actually it would likely create a huge and sustainable growth period if you kept it to infrastructure, education and pensions and healthcare all things that are great investments. . not sure what you mean when you refer to "UBI".

What never seem to enter the conversation is that certain things are investments and have a return. Building infrastructure that makes American manufacturing and services more efficient. better able to compete with other countries etc.. spurs growth beyond government spending. The same with education and healthcare. Pension at least would break even since it would get spent here in the US.

Actually it would likely create a huge and sustainable growth period if you kept it to infrastructure, education and pensions and healthcare all things that are great investments. . not sure what you mean when you refer to "UBI".

What never seem to enter the conversation is that certain things are investments and have a return. Building infrastructure that makes American manufacturing and services more efficient. better able to compete with other countries etc.. spurs growth beyond government spending. The same with education and healthcare. Pension at least would break even since it would get spent here in the US.

UBI = Universal Base Income

Back
Top Bottom