• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

State unlocked trove of info from Trayvon's cellphone

Only one side had a serious head start (months?) and massive "free" publicity, including praise from the POTUS and MSM.

1. Both have had free publicity. Zimmerman(s) even got paid for interviews. Probably the Martins too.
2. Fox News is not MSM now? Again, both sides.
3. An observation by a person =/= praise.

Again, you are dodging the fact the defense did not show a valid need to prepare an adequate defense, only showed a need to stall and get more media exposure. Stop deceiving yourself and call an egg an egg.

HowStuffWorks "How GPS Phones Work"

This goes into some detail about GPS on your smartphone. It does say when near buildings or trees, it can interfere with the GPS tracking.

Still looking for info on how often it takes to update. Seen on a few help forums state 7-10 minutes, depending on device and the settings on the phone (like use GPS and Use Wifi).

How Can I Fix My Android's Crappy GPS?

What phone did Martin have? That may affect it too.

T-Mobile phones with GPS receiver

Actually I meant cell phone tracking, not GPS...unless the phone company uses GPS for cell phone tracking.

Actually I meant cell phone tracking, not GPS...unless the phone company uses GPS for cell phone tracking.

I believe it uses both, as stated in one of the articles to determine location.

On my phone under "Location and security settings", it has two options at the top "use wireless networks" and "use GPS sattelites". To save battery, I disable GPS when not using it. For example, I turn it on to check in somewhere when using facebook, then turn it off after.

I will keep an eye out for more info.

Oh just found this, reading it now.

Cell Phone Tracker - How to track cell phone location guide

Oh just found this from the ACLU, could start another topic on it:lol:

http://www.aclu.org/government-location-tracking-cell-phones-gps-devices-and-license-plate-readers

I was wondering if we'd see tracking information from their phones.

Might be interesting.

Anything that can provide more facts is a good thing.

Trayvon's cellphone: O'Mara: State has unlocked trove of info from Trayvon's cellphone - Orlando Sentinel

If Trayvon's movement could be tracked that night leading up to the shot fired by Zimmerman that killed him, then O'mara shouldn't worry a thing about it being so hard that required "hundreds of more hours of work for defense attorneys" if Zimmerman is telling the truth, should it?

So, all these excuses to delay the trial after spending all these $300,000 of donation money and more pouring in for expert witness expense, I mean, didn't Bill Lee and Serino stood by Zimmerman and claimed all evidence supported Zimmerman's account of what happened that night? If that's so, why the need for asking to delay the stand your ground trial? Didn't Bill Lee let Zimmerman walk based on stand your ground law?

Zimmerman seems to be making the argument that Trayvon could have went home and doubled back to kick Zimmerman's ass/try to kill Zimmerman (if he went home and decided to go back and kill Zimmerman, I think he would have gotten a real weapon). Anyway, the friend Trayvon was talking to on the phone gave her statement and never said he made it home and went back. Zimmerman never denied that he was on the phone when they came face to face either.

I really hope this will settle that debate. I also hope it settles the debate on whether Zimmerman stopped following Trayvon after the 911 operator told him to stop.

Zimmerman seems to be making the argument that Trayvon could have went home and doubled back to kick Zimmerman's ass/try to kill Zimmerman (if he went home and decided to go back and kill Zimmerman, I think he would have gotten a real weapon). Anyway, the friend Trayvon was talking to on the phone gave her statement and never said he made it home and went back. Zimmerman never denied that he was on the phone when they came face to face either.

I really hope this will settle that debate. I also hope it settles the debate on whether Zimmerman stopped following Trayvon after the 911 operator told him to stop.

Well. He isn't required by law to stop following Martin if asked by dispatched. Is it ethical? I don't think so, but it isn't against the law.

Or that he was always in contact with the phone - my kids use my phone, I leave it at home.

It's rarely in my possession 24/7.

I see this as being fluff - and nothing 'solid' regardless of whose side wants it - I just don't see how it can be applied at all. Even then: his whereabouts before the incident aren't in question - are they wanting to prove, what, where the two gps traces from each phone met up? Sounds kinda silly.
Auntie I won't be so quick to dismiss it as "being fluff - and nothing 'solid'".

The GPS tracking data are all stored in Trayvon's cell phone hard drive. The tracking data on that night wasn't given to the defense team for some reason. Within 10 feet doesn't mean the tracking is limited to only within 10 feet. What it means is it is accurate in pin-pointing each event location within 10 feet. Therefore, it could pin-point each even location to one foot, two feet or three five .. to within 10 feet.

If the event of Trayvon's path that night is captured in the GPS tracking, then together with the time data, the prosecutor can piece all the event together and line up with the accounts given by zimmerman from when he claimed he saw Trayvon at Frank Taaffe's house to the clubhouse to the T and then lost track of him. If his story doesn't line up, then he has a lot of explaining to do before the judge or jury.

In addition, the GPS tracking might also tell us what happened after Trayvon went south from the T (according to zimmerman's account).

Auntie I won't be so quick to dismiss it as "being fluff - and nothing 'solid'".

The GPS tracking data are all stored in Trayvon's cell phone hard drive. The tracking data on that night wasn't given to the defense team for some reason. Within 10 feet doesn't mean the tracking is limited to only within 10 feet. What it means is it is accurate in pin-pointing each event location within 10 feet. Therefore, it could pin-point each even location to one foot, two feet or three five .. to within 10 feet.

If the event of Trayvon's path that night is captured in the GPS tracking, then together with the time data, the prosecutor can piece all the event together and line up with the accounts given by zimmerman from when he claimed he saw Trayvon at Frank Taaffe's house to the clubhouse to the T and then lost track of him. If his story doesn't line up, then he has a lot of explaining to do before the judge or jury.

In addition, the GPS tracking might also tell us what happened after Trayvon went south from the T (according to zimmerman's account).

Interesting - well, once every thing's done for it'll be interesting to see what comes of this particular thing because I just fail to see how it would apply in a meaningful way to the overall trial.

Interesting - well, once every thing's done for it'll be interesting to see what comes of this particular thing because I just fail to see how it would apply in a meaningful way to the overall trial.

It can be used to confirm/dispute Z's account. Did T run down that path then come back towards Z? Was T running from Z the entire time until Z caught him? Just a couple of reasons this could be important.

It can be used to confirm/dispute Z's account. Did T run down that path then come back towards Z? Was T running from Z the entire time until Z caught him? Just a couple of reasons this could be important.

So I'm guessing they have this same info from Zimmerman's phone, too? I can't see how one could be useful without the other to verify where he was.

So I'm guessing they have this same info from Zimmerman's phone, too? I can't see how one could be useful without the other to verify where he was.

I am not certain. While I believe both would be best, even just T's will be sufficient. They should be able to determine speed of movement and determine wether T's movement match with what Z described. Z/s statement would essentially act as his phone's GPS.

I am not certain. While I believe both would be best, even just T's will be sufficient. They should be able to determine speed of movement and determine wether T's movement match with what Z described. Z/s statement would essentially act as his phone's GPS.

I'm just guessing they do - since he's in custody everything related to him would have been processed in as evidence if it was on his person . . . and the phone was used per the phone call - so it makes sense that they alreayd have all that.

Your posts never fail ... :lamo

Has anybody been able to show the frequency in which this data is obtained? Once every what? 5 - 10 Minutes? What?

My experience tells me that the prosecution would have been quick to let the defense know (as well as the public) if the information contained anything damning to Zimmerman.
As they have not made it available, it most likely contains information that could be interpreted as favorable towards Zimmerman.

I'm just guessing they do - since he's in custody everything related to him would have been processed in as evidence if it was on his person . . . and the phone was used per the phone call - so it makes sense that they alreayd have all that.

I would assume that would have been in the evidence drops... It's possible the defense has it, but then they would have to provide it to the prossecution and I haven't seen any mention of it in any evidence so far released.

Something key here is how close to his position will it track. My phone has a decent GPS, but it still can only get so accurate. I certainly hope that the prosecution and defense understand this. The public probably won't. It also may not be able to determine speed. Time stamps over a couple hundred yards ok, but not over a distance if 30 feet.

We now know that Trayvon and Z were near each other. Wow....this could really break it wide open....:roll:

Is it that precise? Only when using the phone? Why then wouldn't this also apply to GZ's phone too?

He's gonna be found innocent and will walk.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...E] Well, the statistics are not on his side.

Many months ago I posted a lot of speculation about TM lying in wait, but I've changed my mind on that issue.

If the def brings it up I think the pross will be able to minimize that issue based on TM initially running away, telling D that "I think I lost him" and then saying "He's right next to me".

If TM wanted to ambush Z I think he would have done it when Z was traveling west on the path, when his back would be exposed and not waiting until Z was walking toward him.

All the evidence points to TM wanting to evade Z and didn't confront him until he believed his hiding spot was compromised.

Many months ago I posted a lot of speculation about TM lying in wait, but I've changed my mind on that issue.

If the def brings it up I think the pross will be able to minimize that issue based on TM initially running away, telling D that "I think I lost him" and then saying "He's right next to me".
Accept he didn't run away. It was more like a skip. Or in other words, a crip walk.

Even Diasha says he stated he wasn't going to run. And Daisha isn't even a credible witness.
The circumstances surrounding her account make it suspect.

If TM wanted to ambush Z I think he would have done it when Z was traveling west on the path, when his back would be exposed and not waiting until Z was walking toward him.
Wtf?
He waited until he was walking away from him.

All the evidence points to TM wanting to evade Z and didn't confront him until he believed his hiding spot was compromised.
BS!
Waiting until someones back is to you to approach, confront, and attack is not trying to evade.
And with all the time he had to make it to the place he was staying, clearly he wasn't trying to evade.

TM was hiding in the bushes? I havn't seen that cited. Why would someone hide in the bushes from someone they thought was following them. If one is really that scared, call the cops and, for the love of God, stay in a well-light public place - don't get caught in dark bushes!

TM was hiding in the bushes? I hadn't seen that cited. Why would someone hide in the bushes from someone they thought was following them. If one is really that scared, call the cops and, for the love of God, stay in a well-light public place - don't get caught in dark bushes!

1. Hindsight is 20/20.

2. Bushes? Where?

1. Hindsight is 20/20.

2. Bushes? Where?

All I'm sayin' is: if someone is following you, do not go to a dark place and hide - that's stupid because if they catch you, well, now you're kinda screwed aren't ya?

Eco's Helpful Safety Tip #472

Last edited:
Is there a woman here that, if seriously fearing that someone is following them, would go to a dark place and hide? If so, would they also tie themself up while waiting or employ other means to make the situation even worse.

Personally, I carry zip ties and if I think I'm being followed, I go to a dark place and tie my feet and hands. Just in case.

Back
Top Bottom