• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sports Bar

Baseball is easy to play? Really? Hell, it seems that it's not even that easy to spell!!:lamo

Over the years I've heard this mantra time and time again from people who don't understand the game. These guys will play 162 games over roughly 180 days not counting spring training and the post season. That's 18 days off INCLUDING travel. The mental drain alone is more than most can take.

I see my misspelling of the word baseball.....that was typed out was able to help with the cracked comment. Do you think if you heard it said. You could then hope to count on if I am drunk and slurred the word.

What you don't think I understand about baseball Luther?

Can you explain why more people have more fun watching kids play.....then the so called Pro's of the sport then?

I see my misspelling of the word baseball.....that was typed out was able to help with the cracked comment. Do you think if you heard it said. You could then hope to count on if I am drunk and slurred the word.

What you don't think I understand about baseball Luther?

Can you explain why more people have more fun watching kids play.....then the so called Pro's of the sport then?

Baseball is an incredibly complex game of matchups, talent and luck. It doesn't move along at light speed but it's still intense.

It's one thing to understand the rules and the gameplay but it's quite another to understand the nuances and the planning. The decisions that are made in April and May are going to impact whether you'll be playing in October and there are SO many decisions that have to be made. Figure that in an average game there will be at least 240 pitching decisions coordinated with defensive placement and at any given moment the stuff you planned 10 moves ahead for can blow up in your face.

Baseball is an incredibly complex game of matchups, talent and luck. It doesn't move along at light speed but it's still intense.

It's one thing to understand the rules and the gameplay but it's quite another to understand the nuances and the planning. The decisions that are made in April and May are going to impact whether you'll be playing in October and there are SO many decisions that have to be made. Figure that in an average game there will be at least 240 pitching decisions coordinated with defensive placement and at any given moment the stuff you planned 10 moves ahead for can blow up in your face.

Yeah some get into it and others not so much. My grandmother.....was totally into baseball. Players, stats, managers, you name it. Was a die hard Cubs fan too. I still think it is the easiest sport to play. Despite much of what is said.

That's not to say I wouldn't go out to game. My ex use to like going out to the night games. But only when the weather was nice out.

I think they should cut their season down and be into their playoffs and World Series sooner.

Yeah some get into it and others not so much. My grandmother.....was totally into baseball. Players, stats, managers, you name it. Was a die hard Cubs fan too. I still think it is the easiest sport to play. Despite much of what is said.

That's not to say I wouldn't go out to game. My ex use to like going out to the night games. But only when the weather was nice out.

I think they should cut their season down and be into their playoffs and World Series sooner.

Lots of people say that until they are standing in the batters box facing a 90+mph slider or a curve that looks like it's going to take your head off then ends up at your knees.

Lots of people say that until they are standing in the batters box facing a 90+mph slider or a curve that looks like it's going to take your head off then ends up at your knees.

Yeah I guess.....then some know all about playing fast pitch and playing off a wall with a rubber ball. No need to run bases :lol:

Yeah I guess.....then some know all about playing fast pitch and playing off a wall with a rubber ball. No need to run bases :lol:

We'd play "mound out". If we had 4 or 5 kids playing one would pitch, one would play short, 2 would play outfield and one would bat. You were out if they got the ball back to the mound before you reached base and you'd keep hitting until you got 3 outs. Hitting opposite field was an automatic out since someone had to go chase the ball. To this day I'm still a straight pull hitter:lol:

We'd play "mound out". If we had 4 or 5 kids playing one would pitch, one would play short, 2 would play outfield and one would bat. You were out if they got the ball back to the mound before you reached base and you'd keep hitting until you got 3 outs. Hitting opposite field was an automatic out since someone had to go chase the ball. To this day I'm still a straight pull hitter:lol:

Yeah.....when we didn't have enough people. We went and played fast pitch. Many times using real baseballs. Didn't have to have a catcher. Depended on where we played and what building as to if certain fields were auto-outs. Also we played stickball in the streets.

Then it was softball.....so we could get the girls to play. much more fun then. Not 12 inch tho.

My Mother had a 12" Team that Played for her bar. Leagues on the South Side.

Yeah.....when we didn't have enough people. We went and played fast pitch. Many times using real baseballs. Didn't have to have a catcher. Depended on where we played and what building as to if certain fields were auto-outs. Also we played stickball in the streets.

Then it was softball.....so we could get the girls to play. much more fun then. Not 12 inch tho.

We used to play with baseballs that had the covers knocked off. We'd cover them with black electrical tape so that the yarn didn't come off:lol:

We too played fast pitch all summer, every summer, as kids. I think that was a "Chicago" thing because when we moved to Michigan none of the walls there had rectangles painted on them.

We too played fast pitch all summer, every summer, as kids. I think that was a "Chicago" thing because when we moved to Michigan none of the walls there had rectangles painted on them.

Mornin' Calamity Good Friday Bro.. :2wave: Yeah.....I think so too. Same with Handball. Once out in the Suburbs there was no place to play fast pitch or handball. I think Calumet City was one of the last to have the old concrete walls in the park for handball. They took them down now tho.

Seen the Hawks lose this first one to St Louis.....I think that it spells trouble for the Hawks. Blues lost like 6 in a row. Now come back win 3 or 4 in a row. Can't say they didn't have the chance to walk away with one Right off the bat. Now IMO they can't afford to lose this next one in St Louis. If they do.....I think the Blues win it.

Bills cheerleaders file suit against team over pay, harassment.....

20130908_mbr_al9_036-7912f4a4db52f9d0ee50c41746ecc6f8

This might come as a shock to some, but being an NFL cheerleader isn't quite the cushy gig it might first appear. Sure, there's the pompoms and the cheering and the adoring eyes of thousands of men. But according to a new lawsuit filed by five Buffalo Bills cheerleaders ... there's not much else.

The cheerleaders have filed the suit in state Supreme Court, charging that they worked hundreds of hours a year for free at events, and were subjected to groping and other violations of employment protections. Most notably, the cheerleaders had to undergo a "jiggle test," in which they performed jumping jacks prior to that week's games. The cheerleaders that, well, jiggled were told to cut the fat or hit the road.

The case hinges on whether the cheerleaders, known as the "Jills," are independent contractors. The plaintiffs charge that the Bills violate the state's $8 per hour minimum wage rule. The Jills are managed by Stejon Productions, and were formerly managed by Citadel Communications, not the Bills themselves. However, the suit charges that since the Bills had total control over the cheerleaders, right down to their hygiene, the Bills were de facto employers.

Cheerleaders are responsible for their own travel expenses, and must pay $650 for their uniforms. They pay a $50 fee to try out. They're also expected to attend two to three dozen charity events, most of which are unpaid, over the course of a season. The lawsuit charged that the cheerleaders totaled more than 800 hours a year of unpaid work. The plaintiffs' pay for the entire season ranged from a high of $806 to a low of $150. For the entire season......snip~

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...inst-team-over-pay--harassment-135155045.html

1419b4a0-cb09-11e3-a806-0369c1e0cf2d_125716515.jpg

To top it off.....they are now talking about Teams having the Cheerleaders have fan interaction and going out to the fans seats.

Last edited:
Former NFL quarterback Earl Morrall dies at 79.....

Earl Morrall, an NFL quarterback for 21 years who started nine games during the Miami Dolphins' perfect season in 1972, has died. He was 79.

The Dolphins confirmed Morrall's death Friday. Former teammate Charlie Babb said Morrall had been in failing health for some time.

When Bob Griese broke his ankle in 1972, Morrall came off the bench and started the final nine games of the regular season for the Dolphins. Morrall won praise from coach Don Shula for his willingness to step aside when Griese returned for the AFC championship game.

Griese started in the Super Bowl to help Miami finish 17-0. That remains the only perfect season in NFL history.

Morrall also played for the 49ers, Steelers, Lions, Giants and Colts, winning three Super Bowl rings. He came off the bench to replace an injured Johnny Unitas and help the Colts win the Super Bowl to cap the 1970 season, and he was the backup to Griese on the Dolphins' 1973 championship team.....snip~

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-nfl-quarterback-earl-morrall-dies-79-175325146--spt.html

3 Superbowl Rings and part of the Perfect season and one the reason for the perfect season. R.I.P. Mr Morrall.
sign_amen.gif

Bills cheerleaders file suit against team over pay, harassment.....

20130908_mbr_al9_036-7912f4a4db52f9d0ee50c41746ecc6f8

This might come as a shock to some, but being an NFL cheerleader isn't quite the cushy gig it might first appear. Sure, there's the pompoms and the cheering and the adoring eyes of thousands of men. But according to a new lawsuit filed by five Buffalo Bills cheerleaders ... there's not much else.

The cheerleaders have filed the suit in state Supreme Court, charging that they worked hundreds of hours a year for free at events, and were subjected to groping and other violations of employment protections. Most notably, the cheerleaders had to undergo a "jiggle test," in which they performed jumping jacks prior to that week's games. The cheerleaders that, well, jiggled were told to cut the fat or hit the road.

The case hinges on whether the cheerleaders, known as the "Jills," are independent contractors. The plaintiffs charge that the Bills violate the state's $8 per hour minimum wage rule. The Jills are managed by Stejon Productions, and were formerly managed by Citadel Communications, not the Bills themselves. However, the suit charges that since the Bills had total control over the cheerleaders, right down to their hygiene, the Bills were de facto employers.

Cheerleaders are responsible for their own travel expenses, and must pay $650 for their uniforms. They pay a $50 fee to try out. They're also expected to attend two to three dozen charity events, most of which are unpaid, over the course of a season. The lawsuit charged that the cheerleaders totaled more than 800 hours a year of unpaid work. The plaintiffs' pay for the entire season ranged from a high of $806 to a low of $150. For the entire season......snip~

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...inst-team-over-pay--harassment-135155045.html

1419b4a0-cb09-11e3-a806-0369c1e0cf2d_125716515.jpg

To top it off.....they are now talking about Teams having the Cheerleaders have fan interaction and going out to the fans seats.

Some more on this.....They revealed the Buffalo Bills Jiggle Test. :lol:

Former Buffalo Bills Cheerleader Who Is Suing The Team Reveals Details Of The 'Jiggle Test'

Yo.....Eco did you see this piece on Morrall and Miami?

Greg Hardy, DE, Carolina has been pretty damn stupid off the field since he was at Ole Miss. He hasn't learned a damn thing since then. Just before the Panthers were to make a decision whether or not to pay Hardy 13.1 million on a multi-year contract Hardy goes ape sh*t and beats up his girlfriend, throws her around, drags her by her hair and claims he was just defending his 290lb self from the 120lb cocktail waitress.

At this point Hardy has been charged with domestic abuse with violence and making threats to do bodily harm. One thing Hardy has never been accused of is being bright.

Is Hardy a thug? Ah, probably. I say there is no way in hell Carolina is going to offer Hardy a 13.1 million dollar, multi-year contract now. If you had the decision to make what would you do?

Greg Hardy, DE, Carolina has been pretty damn stupid off the field since he was at Ole Miss. He hasn't learned a damn thing since then. Just before the Panthers were to make a decision whether or not to pay Hardy 13.1 million on a multi-year contract Hardy goes ape sh*t and beats up his girlfriend, throws her around, drags her by her hair and claims he was just defending his 290lb self from the 120lb cocktail waitress.

At this point Hardy has been charged with domestic abuse with violence and making threats to do bodily harm. One thing Hardy has never been accused of is being bright.

Is Hardy a thug? Ah, probably. I say there is no way in hell Carolina is going to offer Hardy a 13.1 million dollar, multi-year contract now. If you had the decision to make what would you do?

Speaking of doing stupid and being a thug off the field. Add two more murder charges to Aaron Henandez's rap sheet.

Aaron Hernandez indicted in double murder in 2012 - ESPN Boston

Speaking of doing stupid and being a thug off the field. Add two more murder charges to Aaron Henandez's rap sheet.

Aaron Hernandez indicted in double murder in 2012 - ESPN Boston

Hernandez' ugly saga will forever give pause to NFL teams' management when considering off field behavior. I'm not suggesting the NFL really gives a damn about character over winning. Boston dropped a bundle on an obvious thug with thug history. It's all about return on investment.

IMHO, Meyer first dropped the ball (pun intended) with Hernandez at the University of Florida and we all know the rest of the story. Hernandez's thug history was no secret to Belichick. You have to wonder if Meyer's mishandling of Hernandez is happening all over again with Fisher/Winston at FSU. How is the NFL looking at it? Time will tell.

I'm wondering how they finally made a credible connection to Hernandez with the double murders. I know they've had what they believed was the SUV involved, but I read that wasn't enough. What's the new evidence?

Some football news.....another Lawsuit against the NFL. This one may even prove to be more damaging than the concussion issue. What say ye?

Ex-players sue NFL over use of painkillers.....

Opening another legal attack on the NFL over the long-term health of its athletes, a group of retired players accused the league in a lawsuit Tuesday of cynically supplying them with powerful painkillers and other drugs that kept them in the game but led to serious complications later in life.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages on behalf of more than 500 ex-athletes, charges the NFL with putting profits ahead of players' health.

To speed injured athletes' return to the field, team doctors and trainers dispensed drugs illegally, without obtaining prescriptions or warning of the possible side effects, the plaintiffs contend.

Some football players said they were never told they had broken bones and were instead fed pills to mask the pain. One said that instead of surgery, he was given anti-inflammatory drugs and excused from practices so he could play in games. Others said that after years of free pills from the NFL, they retired addicted to painkillers

The new lawsuit was filed in federal court in San Francisco and names eight players as plaintiffs, including three members of the NFL champion 1985 Chicago Bears: quarterback Jim McMahon, Hall of Fame defensive end Richard Dent and offensive lineman Keith Van Horne......snip~

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/apnewsbreak-ex-players-nfl-illegally-161358484--nfl.html

Some football news.....another Lawsuit against the NFL. This one may even prove to be more damaging than the concussion issue. What say ye?

Ex-players sue NFL over use of painkillers.....

Opening another legal attack on the NFL over the long-term health of its athletes, a group of retired players accused the league in a lawsuit Tuesday of cynically supplying them with powerful painkillers and other drugs that kept them in the game but led to serious complications later in life.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages on behalf of more than 500 ex-athletes, charges the NFL with putting profits ahead of players' health.

To speed injured athletes' return to the field, team doctors and trainers dispensed drugs illegally, without obtaining prescriptions or warning of the possible side effects, the plaintiffs contend.

Some football players said they were never told they had broken bones and were instead fed pills to mask the pain. One said that instead of surgery, he was given anti-inflammatory drugs and excused from practices so he could play in games. Others said that after years of free pills from the NFL, they retired addicted to painkillers

The new lawsuit was filed in federal court in San Francisco and names eight players as plaintiffs, including three members of the NFL champion 1985 Chicago Bears: quarterback Jim McMahon, Hall of Fame defensive end Richard Dent and offensive lineman Keith Van Horne......snip~

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/apnewsbreak-ex-players-nfl-illegally-161358484--nfl.html
So, the team which intimidated opponents by barking at them admits they were on narcotics the whole time. Nice.

So, the team which intimidated opponents by barking at them admits they were on narcotics the whole time. Nice.

Heya Calamity. :2wave: Yeah.....and as long as the NFL doesn't have to deal with their other issue.

You ready for this Hawks Game tonight? So far the only series I lost has been The Rangers and Canucks. I had picked Montreal to win. Although I usually will go with whoever against New York teams.

If the Hawks come back on the Kings and win it.....they will beat NY. I am thinking in 5 or 6 games. As it won't go to game 7 with NY.

But first they have to take care of Business out West Coast. If they do its a repeat of last year.

The trifecta of cleveland misery needs to be completed this week.

Josh Gordon, coming off a one year suspension, gets a DWI.

Manziel spotted in Las Vegas tightly rolling a dollar in a club bathroom.

And now we need everyone in cleveland getting hyped to get LeBron back, for him to then immedietely resign with the Heat

The trifecta of cleveland misery needs to be completed this week.

Josh Gordon, coming off a one year suspension, gets a DWI.

Manziel spotted in Las Vegas tightly rolling a dollar in a club bathroom.

And now we need everyone in cleveland getting hyped to get LeBron back, for him to then immedietely resign with the Heat
That's a lie. Manziel rolls $100 bills...and, only uses them once.

Back
Top Bottom