• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sodium-Ion batteries

Real blank

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

This seems a very interesting development whilst I don’t think they will completely replace lithium batteries they are obviously much cheaper raw material and if you only require travelling shorter distances can Cover you and are quicker to charge .

I also believe a hybrid battery can be made so you just use sodium ion in your day to day and lithium for longer distances.They are also are more durable.

This seems a very interesting development whilst I don’t think they will completely replace lithium batteries they are obviously much cheaper raw material and if you only require travelling shorter distances can Cover you and are quicker to charge .

I also believe a hybrid battery can be made so you just use sodium ion in your day to day and lithium for longer distances.They are also are more durable.
Sodium-ion does demonstrate a significant improvement in energy density over lithium-ion, on the same level as zinc-air batteries. The energy density of sodium-ion appears to be in the 396 to 451 Wh/kg range, while lithium-ion ranges between 90 and 243 Wh/kg. So that is a significant improvement.

However, it still pales in comparison to the energy density of fossil fuels. Gasoline, for example, has an energy density of 12,888.9 Wh/kg, or 28.5 times more than the best sodium-ion battery. No matter how much you improve batteries, they will never be able to replace the energy density we get from fossil fuels.

Source:
Higher energy and safer sodium ion batteries via an electrochemically made disordered Na3V2(PO4)2F3 material - Nature Communications, Volume 10, Article Number: 585, 2019 (open access)

Back
Top Bottom