• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So Apparently Merkel Screw-Up BREXIT Too...

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
We went through this with David Cameron’s renegotiation in February. He wanted an emergency brake; Merkel made it clear privately she wouldn’t give it to him; so he didn’t ask for it. In the closing stages of the referendum campaign, as he panicked about losing, he thought of asking for it again as a last-minute concession that would keep Britain in the EU. But he decided not to – for the same reason that May won’t ask for it now. He thought Merkel would still say no; his request would be leaked; he would be humiliated. That, he calculated, would be more damaging than failing to try. And he was right. Merkel confirmed to him afterwards that she wouldn’t have given him the brake. Maybe she was just trying to make him feel better about losing the referendum, but I don’t think so.
Theresa May will probably get a good Brexit deal, but nobody can say so | The Independent

This is just too perfect.

I better soon see on West End the play "Merkel, a tragedy in three acts.

Define "good".

Merkel will not accept access to the common market without freedom of movement of people.

We'll know hat Brexit deal May and cohorts will get, once negotiations on that are finalized.

What it will not be is what the illusionists are whistling in the dark about right now, both to themselves and to the general UK public.

Merkel isn't screwing up Brexit, she's simply clear on the rules that we all know the EU operates under.

She could have stopped the vote once the elite realized that it was in danger of going bad for them, but she refused.

From a pro EU perspective she made a mistake.

She could have stopped the vote once the elite realized that it was in danger of going bad for them, but she refused.

From a pro EU perspective she made a mistake.

A German Chancellor stop the British vote? You realise what you're saying?

Let me put it this way, an American leader (not sure who declares your national referendums) sets out a referendum which all Americans will have a vote on and you suggest the Mexican Leader can stop an American referendum (once the elite realise that it is in danger of going bad for them)

A German Chancellor stop the British vote? You realise what you're saying?

Let me put it this way, an American leader (not sure who declares your national referendums) sets out a referendum which all Americans will have a vote on and you suggest the Mexican Leader can stop an American referendum (once the elite realise that it is in danger of going bad for them)

fact or no:

The Brits would have pulled the referendum if they had gotten a special deal on accepting the horde of Muslims.

fact or no:

The Brits would have pulled the referendum if they had gotten a special deal on accepting the horde of Muslims.

No.. had nothing to do with the referendum.. yes it was used as part of the fear mongering by the Brexit people, but it had absolutely nothing to do with the referendum or EU.

We'll know hat Brexit deal May and cohorts will get, once negotiations on that are finalized.

What it will not be is what the illusionists are whistling in the dark about right now, both to themselves and to the general UK public.

Sad thing, I don't think a big percentage of the public would know a good deal, if it smacked them in the face!

Only EU citizens have freedom of movement under Schengen, to which Britain has an opt out anyway, and only half or Britain's migrants are European, a lot of them Polish Roman Catholic. "Da Moozlum hordes" are in the other half, nothing to do with Europe, in or out.

Sad thing, I don't think a big percentage of the public would know a good deal, if it smacked them in the face!

That is one of the pitfalls of democracy. The public is often not rational. If you look at the various EU referendums over the years.. almost all of them for the electorate had nothing to do with the EU, but with something domestic. Even the Brexit vote, had more to do with fear of Muslims and outsiders than actual issues with the EU. I remember the 92 Danish referendum, the no there had more to do with not being able to have the Danish Queens face on the coin... a lie told by the anti-EU crowd. Or the classic referendum in Holland in 2005 on the EU constitution... was domestic issues that dominated that referendum, not the EU constitution.

Only EU citizens have freedom of movement under Schengen, to which Britain has an opt out anyway, and only half or Britain's migrants are European, a lot of them Polish Roman Catholic. "Da Moozlum hordes" are in the other half, nothing to do with Europe, in or out.

Funny how that never came up during the referendum eh?

That is one of the pitfalls of democracy. The public is often not rational. If you look at the various EU referendums over the years.. almost all of them for the electorate had nothing to do with the EU, but with something domestic. Even the Brexit vote, had more to do with fear of Muslims and outsiders than actual issues with the EU. I remember the 92 Danish referendum, the no there had more to do with not being able to have the Danish Queens face on the coin... a lie told by the anti-EU crowd. Or the classic referendum in Holland in 2005 on the EU constitution... was domestic issues that dominated that referendum, not the EU constitution.

I don't care what anyone says, the vote was over immigration and freedom of movement. Unfortunately, people could not differentiate between the issues.

That's it in a nutshell. Muslim pedophiles from Rotherham have a lot to answer for.

That's it in a nutshell. Muslim pedophiles from Rotherham have a lot to answer for.

You mean those British citizens who abused children in Rotherham are to blame for Brexit?

You mean those British citizens who abused children in Rotherham are to blame for Brexit?

Read Mancs post again, then tongue in cheek. But the Muslim rape gangs had a part to play. You probably wouldn't understand how this reverberated through the UK.

They didn't "abuse children" -- they systematically raped more than 1,000 teenage girls, over a span of years.

Why on Earth would you be motivated to minimize what they did?

They didn't "abuse children" -- they systematically raped more than 1,000 teenage girls, over a span of years.

Why on Earth would you be motivated to minimize what they did?

And you got that from my comment? Come on.... The key part was the British part.

And you got that from my comment? Come on.... The key part was the British part.

Why, yes, I did, when you call the systematic rape of over 1,000 teenage girls over a period of years "abusing children."

I never heard it.. but yea there was so many lies and bull**** flying around that I might have missed it.

Ironically the first reference I fell on was in the Daily Mail! Of course, thye were emphasising doom and disaster because "nearly half" of migrants were from the EU, ignoring the fact that most must therefore come from outside the EU. Brexit couldn't stop the "Muslim hordes", who don't come from Europe anyway.

Back
Top Bottom