• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should this teacher be fired?

Should this teacher be fired?

• Yes

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters
They have quite a protest..

SLO High teacher?s letter condemning gays sparks outrage | The Tribune

In a letter to the student newspaper, a San Luis Obispo High School teacher quoted a Bible verse saying that people committing homosexual acts “deserve to die,” drawing outrage and concern from students, teachers and parents, and a call for calm by administrators.

The school won’t discipline special education teacher Michael Stack, saying teachers as well as students “do not shed their First Amendment rights” at school.

Prater and O’Connor called the controversy “a teachable moment” and urged the community to conduct a “civil discourse.”

His letter was published Tuesday in Expressions, the school’s journalism website, and was in response to Expressions’ May 2017 print edition featuring lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer issues — including an interview with an LGBTQ couple about their relationship.

Stack wrote that he was compelled to speak out because he “didn’t want to displease God,” saying the Bible is “without error” and its hundreds of predictions are 100 percent accurate.

Well slap me on the ass and call me Sally. Students at SLO Hi are now authorized to refer to their teachers as rat ****ers, rotten bastards, twat waffles, donkey flutters, assholes, dumb****s and street hos and no longer need to worry about "shedding" their 1st Amendment Rights.

Here let me save you just this ones, if you want to bring up teachers and hate speach, google yvette felarca, and how she is still allowed to stay at a berkely middle school despite blatently indocrinating her students and even using her students as disposable tools in her imaginary fight against fascism.

How about you make your own case?

How about you make your own case?

Not in the mood to just thought I would point you to the epitome of hate speech teachers in berkely, if you refuse to use it and look a gift horse in the mouth so be it.

i would like each one of you to remember the next time we get another teacher story to remind you that teachers are there to teach the subjects laid out by the school system and not promote their own social or political ideology.

That, in of of itself, illustrates that there is no freedom of speech. What you are saying is "children should be indoctrinated according to the prevailing beliefs of the system", which describes that the Nazis were right to "educate" as they saw fit.

Not in the mood to just thought I would point you to the epitome of hate speech teachers in berkely, if you refuse to use it and look a gift horse in the mouth so be it.

I didn't think so, but thanks for your input.

In a letter to the student newspaper, a San Luis Obispo High School teacher quoted a Bible verse saying that people committing homosexual acts “deserve to die,” drawing outrage and concern from students, teachers and parents, and a call for calm by administrators.

The school won’t discipline special education teacher Michael Stack, saying teachers as well as students “do not shed their First Amendment rights” at school.

Prater and O’Connor called the controversy “a teachable moment” and urged the community to conduct a “civil discourse.”

His letter was published Tuesday in Expressions, the school’s journalism website, and was in response to Expressions’ May 2017 print edition featuring lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer issues — including an interview with an LGBTQ couple about their relationship.

Stack wrote that he was compelled to speak out because he “didn’t want to displease God,” saying the Bible is “without error” and its hundreds of predictions are 100 percent accurate.

Guy wasn't saying this in a class room. As such I'll defend his 1st Amendment Rights no matter how despicable it is. Hate speech, like it or not, IS protected under the 1st Amendment.

I'd have been compelled to fire him just for that. Someone so ignorant should not be teaching children.
To talk about gays should be killed....yeah, cya.

No, go back and read what I said, because that's not it.

You wrote this in #7:

"This concerns me that he's doing things which are unacceptable due to his religious beliefs."

What things did this teacher do, other than quoting the Bible in a letter he wrote to the school newspaper, that you consider unacceptable? It is that act by him which is the subject of this thread.

That, in of of itself, illustrates that there is no freedom of speech. What you are saying is "children should be indoctrinated according to the prevailing beliefs of the system", which describes that the Nazis were right to "educate" as they saw fit.

you do not understand freedom of speech by your words.

a teacher is not free to say what they want, because they are under the authority of the state when they are doing their job.

you cannot preach YOUR political views, YOUR religious or non religious views to other people when you are supposed to be doing your job which is to teach according to what the school system laids out.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed. Definitely deserved not to be retained. Which is what happened. I guess he actually left early, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

God would be mad at him if he didn't write a letter to the student newspaper specifically quoting a bible verse saying homosexuals deserved to die. Personally I think God is mad at him now. Should have stuck with helping the special ed kids.

Actually I think he should be evaluated for possible mental hospital confinement, as a potential risk to the public or himself. If he's that compelled by an imaginary spirit, that sounds clinical.

you do not understand freedom of speech by your words.

a teacher is not free to say what they want, because they are under the authority of the state when they are doing their job.

you cannot preach YOUR political views, YOUR religious or non religious views to other people when you are supposed to be doing your job which is to teach according to what the school system laids out.

Precisely, as I said, Hitler and the Nazis were free to have their "teachers" teach a creed of racism, hate, genocide, and other equally savory things.

Precisely, as I said, Hitler and the Nazis were free to have their "teachers" teach a creed of racism, hate, genocide, and other equally savory things.

thats because hitler controlled the nation of germany, he was the leader.

Before hitler took control of Germany, his brown shirts the SA would go around and disrupt other political parties meetings, threaten them, beat them up, not letting them speak...........can you say University of California, Berkeley  

thats because hitler controlled the nation of germany, he was the leader.

Before hitler took control of Germany, his brown shirts the SA would go around and disrupt other political parties meetings, threaten them, beat them up, not letting them speak...........can you say University of California, Berkeley  

And the US has its brown shirts too. The education system is full of them, teaching a history of the US that is nothing but the rankest of propaganda.

Yes, you have free speech, but when you are an employee that restricts your "free speech". You cannot just say what you want at a work place and not suffer any consequences. Telling students that homosexuals deserve to die, IMO, he should be reprimanded in some way.

Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, He abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy. They know God’s justice requires that those who do these things deserve to die, yet they do them anyway. Worse yet, they encourage others to do them too.

Is that actually in the bible? I don't remember anything like that, but I'm not a scholar on it either.

He posted it in a school publication, which could have chosen not to publish it, or delete it, as applicable.

The teacher is a literalist goober of the religious Alt Right, yes. He is a confirmation bias idiot, imo.

His right to free speech should remain unrestrained in the context of the school publication that allowed a LGBT section in an earlier edition.

His students have the right to tell him to his face, without any reprisal. calmly and quietly that they think he is an idiot.

I'm pretty sure that it would be against the 1st amendment to fire someone for quoting a bible verse.

Definitely -- many Atheists want to abridge religious people's Free Speech.

This teacher seems to have quoted from an unusual version of the Bible. The text of my Revised Standard Version differs from it quite a bit. The fact it groups unnatural sexual conduct with such things as slander, deceit, and being haughty or foolish makes clear to me that the "death" which God decrees people deserve for these types of conduct is a spiritual and not a physical one.

In any case, the teacher was quoting the Bible as a caution and a lesson, which preachers do in churches all the time. Sometimes people are warned that if they do certain things, they will likely go to hell. I'm sure the people listening to those sermons often include teenage students. But any student at that school who wanted to engage in homosexual acts was free to ignore the Bible verse quoted in the letter.

As of March 2014, the Christian Booksellers Association ranks the NLT as the second most popular English version of the Bible based on unit sales

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Living_Translation

Maybe yours is the unusual version

time to end the dept. of education.

Not at all, just adhere to a measure of honesty. Teach American history as it actually happened, not as a rank propaganda, movie reel.

I am against discrimination of LGBT people, since all of us have severe sins -- both LGBT and straight people. We should not judge.

But banning parts of Bible is too much.

Not at all, just adhere to a measure of honesty. Teach American history as it actually happened, not as a rank propaganda, movie reel.
As long as it is not the wobbly or the alt right versions, sure.

I can not judge LGBT people -- I also have sins. Even if I do not use electricity or Internet on Sabbath, I always bite my nails.

But banning Biblical text is far beyond censorship -- it is religious persecution.

As wrong as this teacher is, and as ass-backward the Bible verses are, no one should be fired for making a comment to a newspaper...even a student newspaper.

Back
Top Bottom