• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the morning after pill be allowed.

Should the morning after pill (Plan B) be allowed?

• Total voters

year2late

IIJAFM
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I am curious. Contraception was used, but contraception failure occurred.

Do you see the morning after pill as acceptable?

Last edited:
I am curious. Contraception was used, but contraception failure occurred. Do you see the morning after pill as acceptable?
Of course; it is quite equivalent to abortion, and one of the reasons abortion can be allowed is, it is a valid back-up plan, with respect to birth control, when ordinary contraception fails.

The willingness to use any safe, effective form of prevention (used before, during, and after) should be paramount when sexually active - especially when unexpected or unwanted pregnancies aren't going to be a happy event.

Of course; it is quite equivalent to abortion, and one of the reasons abortion can be allowed is, it is a valid back-up plan, with respect to birth control, when ordinary contraception fails.

If I'm not mistaken actually Plan B (levonorgestrel) a single step drug that "prevents pregnancy". It's not actually abortifacient. The drug most commonly used to "cause an abortion" to evacuate an embryo or very early stage fetus is Mifepristone (RU-486). That process can be a multi-step process. It some cases it can require a follow up examine to make sure that the uterus evacuation occurs.

Yes. It's acceptable even if contraception was skipped all together for whatever the reasons were. It is always acceptable for someone to do whatever they wish to their body.

These things should be available 24/7/365 to anyone who wants them, regardless.

If I'm not mistaken actually Plan B (levonorgestrel) a single step drug that "prevents pregnancy". It's not actually abortifacient. The drug most commonly used to "cause an abortion" to evacuate an embryo or very early stage fetus is Mifepristone (RU-486). That process can be a multi-step process. It some cases it can require a follow up examine to make sure that the uterus evacuation occurs.
Preventing the implantation of a blastocyst equates with dooming it to death, in the mind of abortion opponents. And abortion definitely refers to the death of an unborn entity. Veterinarians even use the word to encompass natural miscarriages.

If it had been demonstrated from peer-reviewed studies to have a proven mechanism of action as an abortifacient, then it's use should be banned.

It hasn't, and doesn't act that way, so it shouldn't.

IUDs on the other hand...

Preventing the implantation of a blastocyst equates with killing it, in the mind of abortion opponents. And abortion definitely refers to the death of an unborn entity. Veterinarians even use the word to encompass natural miscarriages.

I've not seen that description of plan B before.

Preventing the implantation of a blastocyst equates with killing it, in the mind of abortion opponents. And abortion definitely refers to the death of an unborn entity. Veterinarians even use the word to encompass natural miscarriages.

According to medical science, pregnancy does not begin until implantation. Thus, Plan B does not cause abortions, because it acts by preventing implantation from ever happening. It actually does the same thing that some pre-coital contraceptives do, including the copper IUD and even some hormonal methods. It is not an "abortion," because there is no pregnancy.

I understand that some people claim otherwise, but we all know that the sort of people who call it the "unborn" would claim the uterus is a black hole to outer space if they thought hit helped their argument. That doesn't make it true.

According to medical science, pregnancy does not begin until implantation. Thus, Plan B does not cause abortions, ...
To both you and Removable Mind: The word "abortion" is quite generic, and as you know is derived from the word "abort". While typically it refers to the ending of a pregnancy (thus can veterinarians include miscarriages), it can also be used to refer to ending the growth process that began with a zygote's first cell-division. Such usage may be rare, but the English language allows it.

I should mention that some forms of morning-after pill work to prevent ovulation and thus conception. There would never exist a blastocyst to prevent its implanting. I'm not sure if Plan B is one of that type, though.

Last edited:
According to medical science, pregnancy does not begin until implantation. Thus, Plan B does not cause abortions, because it acts by preventing implantation from ever happening. It actually does the same thing that some pre-coital contraceptives do, including the copper IUD and even some hormonal methods. It is not an "abortion," because there is no pregnancy.

I understand that some people claim otherwise, but we all know that the sort of people who call it the "unborn" would claim the uterus is a black hole to outer space if they thought hit helped their argument. That doesn't make it true.

You are wrong on your science there. There is no evidence use of emergency contraceptives interfere with the endometrial lining and thus prevent implantation.

If there were, then I would absolutely state their use should be banned.

Hopefully the morning after pill will someday be safe and effective enough to replace other birth control...

I am curious because in past discussions there was a lot of discussion about a desire for person begin not with implantation, but with the union of the sperm and the egg.

Thanks.

i have to say yes while waffles and pecans are tasty i just dont find the combination to worck that well ....maybe if they used glazed pecans that might worck ill have to look into it

To both you and Removable Mind: The word "abortion" is quite generic, and as you know is derived from the word "abort". While typically it refers to the ending of a pregnancy (thus can veterinarians include miscarriages), it can also be used to refer to ending the growth process that began with a zygote's first cell-division. Such usage may be rare, but the English language allows it.

I should mention that some forms of morning-after pill work to prevent ovulation and thus conception. There would never exist a blastocyst to prevent its implanting. I'm not sure if Plan B is one of that type, though.

No, it isn't. It's a medical procedure with a medical definition. According to the medical definition, pregnancy starts at implantation, and abortion ends a pregnancy. It has nothing to do with some nebulous "growth process." It is very specifically an implanted ZEF. You also can't seem to make up your mind on what kind of cell is being flushed, because I doubt you know.

The way you're using it, we could call it an "abortion" whenever a woman menstruates. You have a problem with silly definitions that are disconnected from reality quite often. Words mean things.

I do not support the state's regulations forcing other to pay for it. Until it can only be obtained without taxation, it serves no purpose.

I do not support the state's regulations forcing other to pay for it. Until it can only be obtained without taxation, it serves no purpose.

I am curious....is Plan B covered?

I can see in the case of rape it might be part of rape related treatement and such.....

But I am curious if Medicaid covers Plan B (morning after pill) as an emergency contraceptive

I am curious....is Plan B covered?

I can see in the case of rape it might be part of rape related treatement and such.....

But I am curious if Medicaid covers Plan B (morning after pill) as an emergency contraceptive

More than zero plan bs were purchased with taxpayer dollars. Even when rape is excluded.

More than zero plan bs were purchased with taxpayer dollars. Even when rape is excluded.

Can you site your source?

I am actually curious.

Anything to reduce the need for an abortion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it isn't. ... Words mean things.
My handy paperback dictionary has these definitions for "abortion".
1. spontaneous expulsion of a fetus ... (used by veterinarians, like I said)
2. induced and sometimes illegal expulsion of a nonviable fetus (the typical/common definition, at least as far as this Debate site is concerned -- the medical procedure)
3. a monstrosity (I've occasionally encountered use of this definition in literature, mostly science fiction, but usually as a derogatory name-call instead of a reference to an actual monstrosity)
4. failure of development, as of an embryo, disease, plan, etc (pretty much what I previously wrote: "it can also refer to ending the growth process that began with a zygote's first cell-division", although perhaps I should have written "the ending of" instead of just "ending") I note that when a fetus dies in the womb (another Thread here), **that** could be called "an abortion" even though it is still inside the womb!
5. anything that fails to develop or mature

OKAY?

Not only should it be allowed... but it should be encouraged, subsidized by the government, and disseminated widely.
With the GOP's constant assault on our society's safety net... the less unwanted children, the better off we'll be.

My handy paperback dictionary has these definitions for "abortion".
1. spontaneous expulsion of a fetus ... (used by veterinarians, like I said)
2. induced and sometimes illegal expulsion of a nonviable fetus (the typical/common definition, at least as far as this Debate site is concerned -- the medical procedure)
3. a monstrosity (I've occasionally encountered use of this definition in literature, mostly science fiction, but usually as a derogatory name-call instead of a reference to an actual monstrosity)
4. failure of development, as of an embryo, disease, plan, etc (pretty much what I previously wrote: "it can also refer to ending the growth process that began with a zygote's first cell-division", although perhaps I should have written "the ending of" instead of just "ending") I note that when a fetus dies in the womb (another Thread here), **that** could be called "an abortion" even though it is still inside the womb!
5. anything that fails to develop or mature

OKAY?

So basically you just proved yourself wrong, because every single medical definition given from your dictionary confirms what I said, and refutes what you said.

Um... Whatever, dude.

So basically you just proved yourself wrong,...
NOPE. Either of the last two definitions fits what I originally said. The only difference is that the reason for "ending" is up-for-grabs (spontaneous vs deliberate), because not specified in the dictionary.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom