• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Rae Carruth get custody of the son he tried to kill?

Should Rae Carruth get custody of the son he tried to kill?

• Total voters

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Former Carolina Panthers wide receiver Rae Carruth, who has spent the past 17 years in a North Carolina prison for conspiracy to murder his pregnant girlfriend, opened up for the first time in a handwritten letter to the victim's mother.

Carruth wrote a 15-page letter to Saundra Adams, the mother of Cherica Adams, that was sent to Charlotte television station WBTV. He also spoke at length by phone with the station about the letter, accepting responsibility for the 1999 conspiracy to murder Cherica Adams and expressing interest in gaining custody of their son.

Carruth is scheduled to be released from Sampson Correctional Institution in Clinton, North Carolina, on Oct. 22. He was sentenced to 18 to 24 years in 2001 after being found guilty of hiring Van Brett Watkins and Michael Kennedy to murder Adams. Watkins, who shot Adams multiple times, was sentenced to a minimum of 40 years. Kennedy, who drove the car, was released in 2011.

Adams died a month after the shooting. Her son, Chancellor Lee Adams, was born prematurely and has battled the challenges that come from cerebral palsy, which was the result of his traumatic birth after the shooting.

Rae Carruth apologizes for death of pregnant girlfriend, seeks custody of 18-year-old son

Hopefully Rae Carruth finds some sort of redemption in his life as he prepares to become a free man. 17 years is a long time to be behind bars. After serving time hopefully he can become some force of good in society.

The guy is a certified POS that tried to murder his own son.

I don't care if he served his time, he's simply done too much damage to this young mans life to have custody of him.

That he has the balls to ask for custody of a young man that he already showed extreme inhumanity to once, just goes to show that the man is still a cancerous narcissist despite his extended jail sentence.

In the past I have advocated for reform of our justice system, going from a punishment oriented system to a rehabilitative one. As such it would be hypocritical of me to flatly say "no" to this. However I see no problems with starting small to make sure he has been rehabilitated. As such I would advocate for a 5-6 year supervised meetings to help determine what the next step should be.

This murdering pimp Carruth should have gotten life no parole. Anything better than that is unacceptable, and giving him the responsibility of guardianship over anyone would be an unholy abomination.

Frankly I hope Carruth breaks parole (without hurting anyone) and gets sent back to the Big House forever.

In the past I have advocated for reform of our justice system, going from a punishment oriented system to a rehabilitative one. As such it would be hypocritical of me to flatly say "no" to this. However I see no problems with starting small to make sure he has been rehabilitated. As such I would advocate for a 5-6 year supervised meetings to help determine what the next step should be.

I agree that the prison system should be rehabilitative for most but do you honestly think people who commit premeditated murder are capable of rehabilitation?

Rae Carruth apologizes for death of pregnant girlfriend, seeks custody of 18-year-old son

Hopefully Rae Carruth finds some sort of redemption in his life as he prepares to become a free man. 17 years is a long time to be behind bars. After serving time hopefully he can become some force of good in society.

The kid is 18, so I don't suppose he really needs a custodial parent at this time.

If Rae gets out of prison and seeks a relationship with his son -- so be it -- it will be between the two of them, but I can't imagine his son wanting a whole lot to do with his dad, given the circumstances.

At the same time -- I'm a firm believer that if you do the crime -- you do the time -- then it's over. Once Rae pays his debt to society, the state has no more reason so punish him, so while I don't see any judge awarding him custody, I think he should be free to pursue a relationship with his son. If that's what his son wants. I would not stand in their way.

I agree that the prison system should be rehabilitative for most but do you honestly think people who commit premeditated murder are capable of rehabilitation?

I think for some rehabilitation is possible, and people do change, sometimes they change for the better and sometimes for the worse.

There's a recurring theme of abuse from pro sports stars that I have to wonder if Rae wasn't a part of. The girlfriend he hired someone to kill probably represented a threat to his pro career all those years ago and he probably thought he really was something special. 17 years may have been enough for him to realize that he really was nobody of importance, and, since his career goal is forever gone, he may have reevaluated his life.

I can't imagine his son wanting much to do with him - but I guess that's his son's choice.

I like to think that people can start over after prison because it's important to society that they try. An old guy I once knew, they called him "Crazy John" worked odd jobs in town, busing tables, washing dishes, stuff like that, and the rumor was that he had killed someone in his younger days. I don't know the circumstances, I don't even know if it was really true, but he got to where he recognized my family, would stop by and chat if we were working in the yard and he was walking by -- or he'd see us in the cafe and come sit a few minutes. Something was a little off, but he was a nice guy. Once he carved a little elephant out of wood for my daughter.

Crazy John died probably a decade ago, but I like to think that he represented what someone could do if he'd run into bad trouble and then was reintroduced into society.

The son is an adult now, so I'd say it's his decision. If it were up to me I'd certainly say no though. I can't possibly see how that's in the son's best interests.

The son is an adult now, so I'd say it's his decision. If it were up to me I'd certainly say no though. I can't possibly see how that's in the son's best interests.

I dont know if he is capable of making that decision, he has severe brain damage from you know the attempted murder

I think for some rehabilitation is possible, and people do change, sometimes they change for the better and sometimes for the worse.

There's a recurring theme of abuse from pro sports stars that I have to wonder if Rae wasn't a part of. The girlfriend he hired someone to kill probably represented a threat to his pro career all those years ago and he probably thought he really was something special. 17 years may have been enough for him to realize that he really was nobody of importance, and, since his career goal is forever gone, he may have reevaluated his life.

I can't imagine his son wanting much to do with him - but I guess that's his son's choice.

I like to think that people can start over after prison because it's important to society that they try. An old guy I once knew, they called him "Crazy John" worked odd jobs in town, busing tables, washing dishes, stuff like that, and the rumor was that he had killed someone in his younger days. I don't know the circumstances, I don't even know if it was really true, but he got to where he recognized my family, would stop by and chat if we were working in the yard and he was walking by -- or he'd see us in the cafe and come sit a few minutes. Something was a little off, but he was a nice guy. Once he carved a little elephant out of wood for my daughter.

Crazy John died probably a decade ago, but I like to think that he represented what someone could do if he'd run into bad trouble and then was reintroduced into society.

Well there is a difference between a heat of the moment murder and a cold blooded premeditated murder like Rae Carruth did. Not to mention Rae has never even fully owned up to it, the closest he has come is, "I feel responsible for everything that happened". Feel responsible? he is responsible and in his letter he also said that the grandmother should "face her own mortality" (She is 60 and Carruth is 44). Coming from a murderer that sounds like a threat

I dont know if he is capable of making that decision, he has severe brain damage from you know the attempted murder

The article only mentioned cerebral palsy, which doesn't necessarily mean you're incapable of making your own decisions. It's generally only a physical disability as far as I understand.

I agree. He suffers from cerebral palsy but at 18 he is capable of making his own decision on the nature if any of a relationship with his father. His grandmother by all accounts has done a great job raising him.

The article only mentioned cerebral palsy, which doesn't necessarily mean you're incapable of making your own decisions. It's generally only a physical disability as far as I understand.

I agree. He suffers from cerebral palsy but at 18 he is capable of making his own decision on the nature if any of a relationship with his father. His grandmother by all accounts has done a great job raising him.

who is now 18 years old, physically and mentally challenged and has been raised by his maternal grandmother from birth.

Chancellor Lee was born prematurely and has cerebral palsy and permanent brain damage due to his traumatic birth.

Rae Carruth will never have custody of son he wanted dead, grandmother says | Miami Herald

A one time murder? Yes. Serial killers? No.

He didn't kill her. He hired someone else. While I think he should have gotten at least the same 40 years + the other guy got, he did serve his time and is coming back into society. He should be given the chance to show he is rehabilitated.

This is from the OP

"was born prematurely and has battled the challenges that come from cerebral palsy, which was the result of his traumatic birth after the shooting."

This might mean the kid will need care for the rest of his life.

How will this ex con support a sick kid for the rest of his life?

If the kid had the right kind of Therapy up until this point, it might just be physical.

Why would the man be trying to get custody of an 18 year old, if care was not needed?

Killing a woman's fetus is nothing but property destruction.

I can see your point and do support rehab programs for prisoners. I find it baffling that the man he hired received 40 years, and he 18-24. The driver was released in 2011, that could have been a plea deal.

The only ( my opinion reasonable) comparison I can come up with is a raped woman, gives birth, dies or lives and the rapist is given custody or visitation rights.

So Carruth is out. Is Adams still dead?

He can be held accountable for her death, but an unborn fetus isn't human, so no attempted murder there.

It varies. For some it only affects them physically, for some it affects them mentally and physically, and for others it only affects them mentally.

My brother has it and if you saw him walking down the street you would think he was an able bodied man. But once you start talking to him you realize he has a disability.

Back
Top Bottom