• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should a doctor be forced to perform an abortion or transgender surgery?

Should a doctor be forced to perform an abortion or transgender surgery?

• Total voters
The usual primitive uneducated drivel from you. Should a doctor be forced to save your life if his religion does not allow him to help people like you?

The bible teaches us to submit to authority:

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

Ephesians 6:5

I am simply a foot soldier. Just like Sammy the Bull taking instructions from his boss, Teflon Don, I submit to a higher authority.

Doctors have an obligation to submit to a higher authority as well.

I am simply a foot soldier. Just like Sammy the Bull taking instructions from his boss, Teflon Don, I submit to a higher authority.

Yawn next

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ACLU is a bunch of joke and, frankly I’m sorry but, they are too much political

I 100% Agree. Do you agree Planned Parenthood is too political as well?

Yawn next

My problem isn't with the doctors, they are simply doing their job. It is the government who has allowed for abortion to be legal. IMO they are going against the will of the people.

The problem I have is when abortion is in the conversation people automatically want to make it illegal because it’s against humanity and it affects them or go against your religion. People are so stupid and they have to make it effect them! Only if this happens it’s understandable but, it’s wrong? whenever it’s something else you can fundamentally lose your mind and, scream constitution rights for the baby. Look people get upset when others try to parent their kids. So what does it give you the right to tell people how to decide on abortion or not

Far as transgendered um yeah I guess you must have psychological problems or if you were born with both that would be hard to understand because I or who ever would not understand

My problem isn't with the doctors, they are simply doing their job. It is the government who has allowed for abortion to be legal. IMO they are going against the will of the people.

No they're not. A majority of Americans are pro-choice.

And it doesnt really matter. It's the job of the govt to use that Constitution and protect women. Just like, even "the will of the people" accepted slavery, they upheld equality for African-Americans.

Legally required? No. But a hospital can certainly fire him or her for refusing.

But I also wouldn’t want a doctor operating on me who wasn’t fully committed to the process. It’s not exactly cake baking.

Well the civil rights act prohibits religious discrimination and mandates employers must provide reasonable accommodation for sincerely held religious beliefs, so not an employer cannot blaketly demand an employee perform an act against their religion and fire them for not doing it.

No they're not. A majority of Americans are pro-choice.

And it doesnt really matter. It's the job of the govt to use that Constitution and protect women. Just like, even "the will of the people" accepted slavery, they upheld equality for African-Americans.

false. We are a center-right nation.

You are wrong as usual. In this case, about how Americans feel about abortion:

Public Opinion on Abortion | Pew Research Center

Abortion | Gallup Historical Trends

https://www.reproductiverights.org/...ghts-6-in-10-americans-support-federal-law-to

In all cases...the majority support Roe vs Wade and a woman's right to choose.

The bar hasn't really moved much since 1975

Notice how many people think abortion should be legal under any circumstance. That's not a majority.

The bar hasn't really moved much since 1975

Notice how many people think abortion should be legal under any circumstance. That's not a majority.

No one wants it after viability. Which only happens for medical necessity...which NO ONE is against. :roll:

No one supports aborting a viable fetus :doh Laws regarding this arent necessary tho, since elective abortions after viability DONT HAPPEN.

So, nice try but you are still wrong. The majority of Americans support Roe v Wade and women's right to choose.

I guess that depends on if you consider the unborn, life or not.

Not life, otherwise eating plants would be murder since they are life as well. Or if you want to stick to human DNA based life, a cancer tumor. The key criteria I see personhood, which is currently accepted to be, legally speaking, at birth.

I'm bailing from this thread. I cannot stomach the disregard people have for innocent life.

Bye.

Are doctors being "forced" to perform abortions? Is there evidence/statistics to support this claim?

I'm bailing from this thread. I cannot stomach the disregard people have for innocent life.

Bye.

Translation, I have nothing of intelligence to add, no facts, so I'm feigning outrage.

Meanwhile on to how these people treat people once they are born....

I am still trying to figure out how you force an individual to perform transgender surgery?

Transgender surgery is a very specialized surgery that one would have to want to take training for and seek out venues to perform them. How do you force someone to perform the surgery.

It seems more like a civil issue to me, If a doctor enters into a contract to perform certain surgeries at a facility and he refuses to that is a breach of contract.

If he never agreed to abortions (it would be on a facility list of what an MD agrees to do and has shown competence)why would it be an issue (except possible life or death)other than civil?

I would think if a person has religious exceptions he/she would tell his/her employer before being hired.

First and foremost on my mind, is we don't know when to consider the fetus, sentient life or not. I say err on the side of caution. From what little we understand, 10 weeks seems to definitely be sentient. How much earlier? Not a clue.

Actually ,there is not enough nerual structure for a fetus to be sentient until about 26 weeks.

A leading neuroscientist , who was also a member of President GW Bush’s Counsel of Bioethics and who wrote the book The Ethical Brain said in his book that a fetus doesn’t possess enough neural structure to harbor consciousness before about 26 weeks . He said before 26 weeks the EEG of a fetus is as flat and unorganized as that of someone brain dead.

From the following article:

As leading neuroscientist Michael Gazzaniga, a member of President Bush’s Council on Bioethics, describes in his book The Ethical Brain, current neurology suggests that a fetus doesn’t possess enough neural structure to harbor consciousness until about 26 weeks, when it first seems to react to pain. Before that,the fetal neural structure is about as sophisticated as that of a sea slug and its EEG as flat and unorganized as that of someone brain-dead.

https://www.wired.com/2010/09/the-consciousness-meter-do-we-really-want-that/

I havent read this failed thread so excuse me if it was brought up but what funny about this topic besides the fact there is no force is, in what situation would this come up that its even a legit concern?

My answer that i gave earlier doesnt change of course and it was "of course not, nobody can be forced. But under the right circumstance a person could open themselves up to termination or litigation/liability."

what im getting at is what doctor that has never done abortion surgery could find himself being asked to do it? and with the rules and regulations of the medical science community when would that be legit or even allowed?

Same with transgender surgery?

its not like a hand surgeon is gonna be pulled from some back room and told hey, you have to do this transgender surgery right now or perform this abortion. Theres rules and regulations about who is allowed to do what and more times than not if you are allowed to do something you are IN THAT FIELD so its expected of you, you were hired based on it and are trained to do it. :shrug:

This is not the religion forum.

You are aware that there is a forum for religious arguments?

All of your preaching and scripture posting isn't relevant. There are a lot of religions. And even among the many Christians, they more often than not, don't agree on what the meaning of all of the scriptures are...or even the tenets of their religion.

Well the civil rights act prohibits religious discrimination and mandates employers must provide reasonable accommodation for sincerely held religious beliefs, so not an employer cannot blaketly demand an employee perform an act against their religion and fire them for not doing it.

Fair point. I should have said “should be able to” instead of “can” as I disagree with that part of the law.

Bye.

The other side of that coin is the disregard that...if they would see women forced against their will to remain pregnant...that they have for innocent women. Having sex, getting pregnant...these things are not 'wrong.'

Apparently it's ok to some to allow the unborn to supersede a woman's right to life, liberty, happiness, bodily sovereignty, self-determination, etc. In other words, they believe the future of the unborn is more important than the future of women. :(

Bye.
Translation, I have nothing of intelligence to add, no facts, so I'm feigning outrage.

Meanwhile on to how these people treat people once they are born....

In this case I see his point. There is a specific topic regarding Drs here and as usual, it has gone off-topic into abortion in general.

And those arguments dont change much here.

I am guilty of it as well.

Back
Top Bottom