• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Serpent In Garden Of Eden : Satan?

The Serpent in Garden of Eden was/is

• Not Satan : I’m a Christian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • God : I’m a Christian

• God : I’m not a Christian

• Total voters

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Was the serpent in the Garden of Eden Satan?

Even if you think the entire Bible is myth/lies/fables, please stick the actual question.

In Genesis, as it’s written, was the serpent that tempted Eve ever called/ described/defined as Satan?

Or, is it a talking snake?
Or, is it God?

If in fact, there was a Garden of Eden (I doubt it), then the serpent was a serpent.

You either take the Bible as a whole, in order to understand it, or you take none of it...

"So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him." Revelation12:9

You either take the Bible as a whole, in order to understand it, or you take none of it...
So all the Old Testament stuff applies? Slavery is just fine and dandy. Stoning children for being disrespectful? Stoning the rape victim for not fighting back hard enough? Not eating shell fish? Not mixing fabrics? All that applies? To you!

So all the Old Testament stuff applies? Slavery is just fine and dandy. Stoning children for being disrespectful? Stoning the rape victim for not fighting back hard enough? Not eating shell fish? Not mixing fabrics? All that applies? To you!
That is not what I said...pay attention...

"So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him." Revelation12:9

Hurled down from where and by who?

Hurled down from where and by who?
Revelation 12:7,8 answers that...

"And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels battled with the dragon, and the dragon and its angels battled but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them any longer in heaven."

That is not what I said...pay attention...
Oh I am paying attention. That’s exactly what you said, but now you’re trying to hide behind special pleading and willful ignorance.

Anything that Revelations says about anything in Genesis, is totally not applicable. It’s trying to “Monday morning quarterback” its way into some kind of relevance.

Genesis is Genesis.
Not some contrived interpretation that came 4000 years later by an unknown author.

Even if you think the entire Bible is myth/lies/fables, please stick the actual question.

In Genesis, as it’s written, was the serpent that tempted Eve ever called/ described/defined as Satan?

Or, is it God?
Other: it was a regular garden snake. Probably lost and trying to get home.

Oh, that...lol...I'll give you a clue...I didn't write it but the meaning comes through loud and clear...deal...
Care to share your source?

No, it's not...I said you either consider the whole Bible in order to understand it or you don't...that means cherry picking, as many have the talent of doing...
So you’re claiming many life-long biblical scholars are cherry picking, but you are not?

Or, is it God?
It's a parable. Not meant to be taken literally.
Adam and Eve (primitive mankind) lost the Garden of Eden, the state of primitive innocence, when they learned to call things 'good' and 'evil'. Before that nothing was good or evil, everything just 'was'.
That's what the story means. No snakes, no apples, no fig leaves. Just an illustration of the innocence lost when civilization began.

And another...'

13b84c0e4368623e408f29de486d9b22.jpg

That's a good answer to the specific question of the OP.

The serpent is the Devil, but we don't understand what is happening, God is creating a remedial schoolroom with his lead Archangel.

In the beginning after creating the original five brothers and finding arranger and wife, the brotherhood created the First Avatar (4300, Isaiah 42), the seven Elohim in the Southeast and seven Archangels in the Southwest, as a trinity.

I’ll just drop this here:

By John Day
Emeritus Professor of Old Testament Studies
Lady Margaret Hall
Oxford University
April 2015

For Adam and Eve the serpent in the Garden of Eden represented the voice of temptation but it needs to be noted that for the original writer, the Yahwist (or J) source, the serpent was not equated with Satan (the Devil). The concept of Satan developed only later (first attested as a personal name c. 300 B.C.E. in 1 Chron 21:1[1]), and we find him first equated with the Eden serpent in the apocryphal book of Wisdom (Wis 2:24, “but through the Devil’s envy death entered the world”[2]). We may compare Rev 12:9, 20:2, where we read of “that ancient serpent, who is [called] the Devil and Satan”. Less well known is the fact that the serpent is equated in 1 Enoch 69:6 with Gader’el, one of the wicked angels who descended from heaven to have sex with women on the earth (elaborating the story in Gen 6:1-4). Genesis 3:1, however, refers to the Eden serpent as one of Yahweh’s earthly creatures, a “beast of the field”. It is certainly the case that it is the ancestor of later ordinary serpents known to humanity (cf. Gen 3:14-15), but in its original pre-cursed state the serpent not only has the capacity to speak but also to have supernormal knowledge, which makes it more than an ordinary serpent at that point, a kind of magical animal

That is not how the Bible is understood at all. The various parts do not refer back and forth to each other.

Back
Top Bottom