• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Secret Deal Giving Qatar Covert Control over Nuclear & Weapons Development Research at Texas A&M

ttwtt78640

Sometimes wrong
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
My girlfriend found this on X (formerly known as Twitter).

ISGAP research exposes Qatar’s undisclosed billion-dollar funding to Texas A&M in return for full Qatari ownership of over 500 research projects.

ISGAP calls for a federal investigation into foreign donations to U.S. universities and an immediate halt to associated research endeavours until full scrutiny by relevant security and regulatory bodies and resolution of non-compliance issues.

Looks like some outfit is trying to cancel Texas A&M.

Well, that was a dumb report.

The short of it: Qatar has established a university in Qatar under the “Texas A&M” name and wants to control IP developed at that local university. Included in this are some Qatari funded projects (in Qatar) with a German company with weapons applications—done between a Qatari university and a German company, funded by Qatar. The only connection with the US “Texas A&M” appears to be the name?

At least, the report fails to implicate any deeper connection, although there are many vague paragraphs about “Muslim brotherhood” and “anti-semetism.”

Might be worth a quick check by federal authorities but at first glance, this seems like a big nothing burger.

The short of it: Qatar has established a university in Qatar under the “Texas A&M” name and wants to control IP developed at that local university. Included in this are some Qatari funded projects (in Qatar) with a German company with weapons use. The only connection with the US “Texas A&M” appears to be the name?

At least, the report fails to implicate any deeper connection, although there are many vague paragraphs about “Muslim brotherhood” and “anti-semetism.”

Might be worth a quick check by federal authorities but at first glance, this seems like a big nothing burger.

1. Texas A&M Qatar

2. ????

3. Terrorist Nukes!

The short of it: Qatar has established a university in Qatar under the “Texas A&M” name and wants to control IP developed at that local university. Included in this are some Qatari funded projects (in Qatar) with a German company with weapons applications—done between a Qatari university and a German company, funded by Qatar. The only connection with the US “Texas A&M” appears to be the name?

I have no idea how money (or research information) flows between Texas A&M in the US and its foreign ‘proxy’ campuses.

In an urgent call to action, ISGAP is demanding a comprehensive investigation into sensitive research funded by Qatar at Texas A&M University in both the U.S. and Qatar, including all of the 500 projects owned by Qatari groups.

Found on X? Seriously? Followed the links to the original source, found here.

AGREEMENT TO CONTINUE TO OPERATE THE UNDERGRADUATE AND GRADUATE PROGRAMS AT TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY AT QATAR

The original 95 page document was summarized into a 17 page document by an organization titled The Institute for the Study of Global Antisemitism and Policy, which then was summarized into a press release titled

Researchers Warn U.S. National Security Officials of Secret Deal Giving Qatar Covert Control over Nuclear & Weapons Development Research at Texas A&M​

Note that the original agreement was first put into place on the 25th day of May, 2003.
Took a long time to make it's way onto X, formerly Twitter, and there is no evidence in the original document that substantiates the above headline of the press release. Those who doubt that may feel free to read through the actual 95-page contract and offer said evidence. ☮️

I've been concerned about this for quite some time, mostly due to China's economic interests/investments in our Universities and engineering schools. I am not surprised that radical Islamic nations would also seek to use "oil money" to do the same.

fyi & fwiw

the federal govt and security agencies are ALREADY all up in the shit of sensitive sorts of research projects

but nvm all that
bcuz
the sky is falling!

I have no idea how money (or research information) flows between Texas A&M in the US and its foreign ‘proxy’ campuses.

The Institute for the Study of Global Antisemitism and Policy might have an agenda.

Yeah basically.

Fortunately it’s terrific clickbait and should generate some good ad revenue.

I think it is probably disinformation. In the way Neil Postman meant it.

"I am using this world almost in the precise sense in which it is used by spies in the CIA or KGB. Disinformation does not mean false information. It means misleading information–misplace, irrelevant, fragmented or superficial information–information that creates the illusion of knowing something but which in fact leads one away from knowing.”

The Institute for the Study of Global Antisemitism and Policy might have an agenda.

I’m sure that they do, but is that cause to ignore what is being bought by or sold to foreign interests?

I’m sure that they do, but is that cause to ignore what is being bought by or sold to foreign interests?

It is pretty much cause to ignore anything they have to say about Qatar outside of documenting antisemitism in that nation.

Who does Qatar think it is buying deep access into America? Why can't they just swim through concertina wire in the Rio Grande like everybody else?

What exactly are isgap saying is being bought and sold here that you are concerned about?

isgap calls for stuff to happen that has already been happening since at least the Cold War

What exactly are isgap saying is being bought and sold here that you are concerned about?

Furthermore, ISGAP is advocating for more regulation and oversight of research in areas crucial to national security when funded by foreign sources and the cessation of any additional Qatari Government funding, whether direct or indirect via state-owned proxies, to American universities operating in Qatar or within the United States.

In light of the potential threats posed, ISGAP is also calling for the initiation of an immediate federal government investigation into the non-reporting of foreign donations to U.S. universities. The institute emphasizes the need for swift and decisive criminal action against systematic underreporting.

isgap calls for stuff to happen that has already been happening since at least the Cold War

OK, then what’s your complaint?

Back
Top Bottom