• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth etc. Marriages. Are they valid?

Are multiple marriages valid? Where is gay marriage mentioned in scripture?

• Yes. In the OT only.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. In the OT only.

• Yes. In the NT only.

• No. In the NT only.

• No. In both OT and NT.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vasuderatorrent

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
According to my understanding of scripture, divorce is only permissible (not mandatory) if the spouse has committed adultery or if the spouse is a nonbeliever. It is also my understanding of scripture that remarriage is only permissible once the original spouse is no longer living.

With this information, which you are welcome to disagree with*, Should clergy or government officials be required to grant marital status to these applicants even though it is a direct violation of scripture?

Follow up question: Where is gay marriage mentioned in scripture?

*I will likely dismiss your argument if it is your opinion based upon popular culture without a scriptural basis. To minimize this risk use quotes from the Bible to make your case.

According to my understanding of scripture, divorce is only permissible (not mandatory) if the spouse has committed adultery or if the spouse is a nonbeliever. It is also my understanding of scripture that remarriage is only permissible once the original spouse is no longer living.

With this information, which you are welcome to disagree with*, Should clergy or government officials be required to grant marital status to these applicants even though it is a direct violation of scripture?

Follow up question: Where is gay marriage mentioned in scripture?

*I will likely dismiss your argument if it is your opinion based upon popular culture without a scriptural basis. To minimize this risk use quotes from the Bible to make your case.

He said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.” - Mark 10:11-12

If the unbeliever separates, however, let him separate. The brother or sister is not bound in such cases; God has called you to peace. - 1 Corinthians 7:15

A valid marriage may be dissolved only by death, or in rare cases by act of the Church.

The Bible is inconsistent on plural marriage:

Deuteronomy 17:17

And he shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, nor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold.

1 Corinthians 7:2

But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

and yet....

2 Chronicles 24:1-3 ESV

Joash was seven years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Zibiah of Beersheba. And Joash did what was right in the eyes of the Lord all the days of Jehoiada the priest. Jehoiada got for him two wives, and he had sons and daughters.

2 Samuel 12:8 ESV

And I gave you your master's house and your master's wives into your arms and gave you the house of Israel and of Judah. And if this were too little, I would add to you as much more.

Isaiah 4:1 ESV /all take hold of one man in that day, saying, “We will eat our own bread and wear our own clothes, only let us be called by your name; take away our reproach.”

I don't think gay marriage is mentioned at all.

So divorce is not permissible in the case of physical and emotional abuse, non-support, or any other reason 21st century people run into?

Yes or no?

Last edited:
Is that according to the Israelite men, or the Israelite women?

Because of the different nature of men and women, men were allowed to have multiple wives, but not vice versa.

So divorce is not permissible in the case of physical and emotional abuse, non-support, or any other reason 21st century people run into?

Yes or no?

Still waiting for an answer from Mr. Glib....

Because of the different nature of men and women, men were allowed to have multiple wives, but not vice versa.

and yet...

Deuteronomy 17:17

And he shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, nor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold.

1 Corinthians 7:2

But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

Yes or no?

Just as I asked in the other thread. Are you serious? If not, please leave. If so, I have nothing to say to you that you would be willing to hear.

I'll make an exception. In this case I will answer your question. No. The Bible gives no justification for divorce in the instances that you mentioned. If I am mistaken please provide me with scripture references to the contrary so that I may reassess my interpretation of scripture.

Last edited:
Just as I asked in the other thread. Are you serious? If not, please leave. If so, I have nothing to say to you that you would be willing to hear.

I'll make an exception. In this case I will answer your question. No. The Bible gives no justification for divorce in the instances that you mentioned.

So you are okay with spouses beating each other half to death, or perhaps completely to death?

What the heck kind of heresy is that? Since when does the Church trump God?

As St. Paul noted, the Church has the authority to dissolve a marriage between a baptized and unbaptized person.

It may also do so in the case of an unconsummated marriage.

what I said originally: The Bible is inconsistent on the subject of polygamy.

Well thank goodness God gave us a Church to resolve such supposed inconsistencies.

As St. Paul noted, the Church has the authority to dissolve a marriage between a baptized and unbaptized person.

It may also do so in the case of an unconsummated marriage.

Well thank goodness God gave us a Church to resolve such supposed inconsistencies.

He actually gave us many churches, and they're pretty inconsistent also, on many subjects.

So you are okay with spouses beating each other half to death, or perhaps completely to death?

No. Why do you ask? That's a random question. We are talking about the Bible not my 21st Century Americanized opinion.

No answer...

Be patience. Your thread is not the only interesting thread.

No. I am not okay with spouses beating each other half to death or completely to death. That has nothing to do with divorce or remarriage.

No. Why do you ask? That's a random question. We are talking about the Bible not my 21st Century Americanized opinion.

I want to know because you seem to like to cherry pick scripture. This very thread was occasioned by your comment in the gay marriage thread about the Anglican Priest who would no longer sign marriage licenses and you accused him (with no proof whatsoever) of performing second, third, and fourth marriages.

So if divorce is okay due to spousal abuse then the ex-spouse can get married again? Yes or no?

I want to know because you seem to like to cherry pick scripture. This very thread was occasioned by your comment in the gay marriage thread about the Anglican Priest who would no longer sign marriage licenses and you accused him (with no proof whatsoever) of performing second, third, and fourth marriages.

So if divorce is okay due to spousal abuse then the ex-spouse can get married again? Yes or no?

Do you have any scripture references to support your argument? Do you even have an argument? I see no interest on your part to have a serious discussion on this subject. Am I wrong? Do you have any interest on your part to have a serious discussion about the Biblical validity of second marriages? If not. Go away please and do it very fast.

Do you have any scripture references to support your argument? Do you even have an argument? I see no interest on your part to have a serious discussion on this subject. Am I wrong? Do you have any interest on your part to have a serious discussion about the Biblical validity of second marriages? If not. Go away please and do it very fast.

If we are going to have a "serious discussion", you need to get serious first. If you can't follow what I am saying maybe you don't belong in this discussion.

This is the appropriate place to point out my Biblical inaccuracies. Please do so or go away.

I am asking about your understanding of the scriptures, I know what the scriptures say.

Back
Top Bottom