• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seattle passes payroll tax targeting employees who earn over 150k

The avg warehouse worker salary in Seattle, WA is $35,626 and it’s a safe bet that w/o Amazon in the avg the figure would be a fair bit higher.

Warehouse Worker Salary in Seattle, WA | Salary.com.

So amazon is paying the average wage for a warehouse worker.
Salary is based on area in most cases.

Where a warehouse worker in seattle will make 35k or close to it a warehouse work in ND will make 25k.
why? the demand calls for that.

Then again warehouse work is not that skilled and more manual labor intensive.
again the main money in amazon is not working in a warehouse. It is getting into the technological departments
and being skilled labor.

hopefully these people are getting more skills than putting stuff in boxes.
in the next 10 years it will be fully automated and most of these people will not have jobs.

I hardly count international taxes as respects Americans. But let's not forget the $162 million in federal income tax — an effective tax rate of 1.2% on over $13 billion in profits, in 2019. Woo-woo!

Amazon reinvests a large amount of their profits into its operations to further mature their products and services. A smart thing to do for a business to streamline and improve their processes, research and develop emerging trends/patterns to differentiate themselves and minimize their tax burden.

Do you itemize your deductions when you file your taxes? Why or why not?

The avg warehouse worker salary in Seattle, WA is $35,626 and it’s a safe bet that w/o Amazon in the avg the figure would be a fair bit higher.

Warehouse Worker Salary in Seattle, WA | Salary.com.

Nobody forces the "average warehouse worker" to be employed at Amazon. If their bottom line is impacted because of local wage increase demands, legislation and/or additional tax burdens, they'll just move someplace else that incentivizes them to do so.

That may be so, but clearly more folks are starting to get it.

The top 10 states people are moving out of in the US - Business Insider

When asked how much revenue would result from having a 100% tax rate, morons eagerly whip out their calculators while more intelligent folks immediately reply none. ;)

The main goal of a business is to maximize its profits. When local and state legislation attempt to chip away at those profits (and some are very large chips), what's the incentive for the business to stay there?

i am sure Dallas, Atlanta, or some other city with a great hub would love those jobs

Let the blue states continue to shoot themselves in the head and let their tax base companies leave

The red states love the high paying jobs coming into their economies

Tesla is another great example...soon to leave California....when will the progressives/liberals learn?

They're focusing on growing in Bellevue, right across Lake Washington and has a much friendlier atmosphere for business.

Amazon says it will create 15,000 jobs in Bellevue, Washington

The main goal of a business is to maximize its profits. When local and state legislation attempt to chip away at those profits (and some are very large chips), what's the incentive for the business to stay there?

That depends on whether that business has (meaningful) competition elsewhere - if not, then they can (and do) pass the added taxation costs on to their customers.

Where a warehouse worker in seattle will make 35k or close to it a warehouse work in ND will make 25k.

again the main money in amazon is not working in a warehouse. It is getting into the technological departments
and being skilled labor.

in the next 10 years it will be fully automated and most of these people will not have jobs.

The avg salary for an Amazon Warehouse Worker is $31,090 in Seattle, WA whereas the avg salary for all wh workers is $35,626 which is 14.6% higher than Amazon. So, no, you saying “..amazon is paying the average wage for a warehouse worker.” is false. And YOU had the info to begin with.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/... Seattle, WA. Salaries estimates are based on.

Yes, you saying “Salary is based on area in most cases.” is correct. I gave you info that was ID’d as for Seattle. That’s the “area”. You didn’t say if your salary info was for Seattle or not.

Seattle COL is $51,524 and wh wkr salary $35,626 is a 44.6% diff. Fargo COL is $32,618 and a wh salary of $25,000 is a 30.5%. For an Amazon wh wkr making $31,090, the diff is 65.7% So, Seattle is up against it just a tad bit more, don’t you think?

Seattle COL $51,524
Cost of Living in Seattle, WA | PayScale

Fargo COL $32,618
Not Found | PayScale

Hence, those higher paying jobs are where the taxes are focused.

They’ll have to get skills pushing buttons and reading more complicated material because that’s where technology is going. Tech advancement is, if anything, being held back because of the stress on workers of repeated learning curve.

The fact is, amazon is NOT “paying the average wage for a warehouse worker” and considering, as you correctly said, that “Salary is based on area in most cases.” when you take COL into consideration, Seattle is getting paid, in effect, less than a wh wkr in Fargo, ND.

Last edited:
Seattle has the 4th highest avg income of any city in the US. Amazon pays hardly any tax, in any way. They have many employees on govt assistance due to low pay. Large corps have been raking in profits while the homeless pop increases and affordable housing disappears due to increased land cost. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Agreed.

The solution seems rather obvious - large (thus evil?) businesses, which have been narrowly targeted for special tax penalties, should not remain located in Seattle, WA. This is why such tax the hell out of "the rich" plans are said to only work at the federal government level - it is just too easy to have folks vote with their feet when such schemes are implemented at the city, county or state level.

The owner of Amazon is said to have increased his wealth by 70 Billion since the pandemic began. I doubt Amazon will move out or even complain.

The owner of Amazon is said to have increased his wealth by 70 Billion since the pandemic began. I doubt Amazon will move out or even complain.

You may be correct, yet it is likely that any additional taxation due will result in higher prices charged by Amazon.

Amazon reinvests a large amount of their profits into its operations to further mature their products and services. A smart thing to do for a business to streamline and improve their processes, research and develop emerging trends/patterns to differentiate themselves and minimize their tax burden.

Do you itemize your deductions when you file your taxes? Why or why not?

What you say in you first para is standard stuff. The issue more recently is what you don't say, stock buy-backs.

What I do personally is none of your business.

Nobody forces the "average warehouse worker" to be employed at Amazon. If their bottom line is impacted because of local wage increase demands, legislation and/or additional tax burdens, they'll just move someplace else that incentivizes them to do so.

Nobody forces anybody to work at all. Naturally, it's quite easy to "move someplace else that incentivizes them to do so". I wonder why everybody doesn't do what you say.

that is what i expect out of you nothing.

I sent you a reply, post #32. I don't know why you expect nothing of me. Have I ever not responded w/o first having told you I wasn't going to?

I sent you a reply, post #32. I don't know why you expect nothing of me. Have I ever not responded w/o first having told you I wasn't going to?

your post showed up black with nothing in it.

your post showed up black with nothing in it.

The following is content copy of my post #32 and includes your post to which I'm replying:

Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post

and being skilled labor.

The avg salary for an Amazon Warehouse Worker is $31,090 in Seattle, WA whereas the avg salary for all wh workers is $35,626 which is 14.6% higher than Amazon. So, no, you saying “..amazon is paying the average wage for a warehouse worker.” is false. And YOU had the info to begin with.

Page Not Found | Glassdoor.

Yes, you saying “Salary is based on area in most cases.” is correct. I gave you info that was ID’d as for Seattle. That’s the “area”. You didn’t say if your salary info was for Seattle or not.

Seattle COL is $51,524 and wh wkr salary $35,626 is a 44.6% diff. Fargo COL is $32,618 and a wh salary of $25,000 is a 30.5%. For an Amazon wh wkr making $31,090, the diff is 65.7% So, Seattle is up against it just a tad bit more, don’t you think?

Seattle COL $51,524

Fargo COL $32,618
Not Found | PayScale

They’ll have to get skills pushing buttons and reading more complicated material because that’s where technology is going. Tech advancement is, if anything, being held back because of the stress on workers of repeated learning curve.

The fact is, amazon is NOT “paying the average wage for a warehouse worker” and considering, as you correctly said, that “Salary is based on area in most cases.” when you take COL into consideration, Seattle is getting paid, in effect, less than a wh wkr in Fargo, ND.

The following is content copy of my post #32 and includes your post to which I'm replying:

Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post

and being skilled labor.

Seattle COL $51,524

Fargo COL $32,618
Not Found | PayScale

Warehouse Worker Salary in Seattle, WA

From indeed.com the average pay for a warehouse worker is 15 bucks an hour.
now there are companies that pay more than that with experience time and position but
that is the average pay of a warehouse worker in seatle.

that equates out to 31k a year based on getting paid every 2 weeks. 40 hours a week with 26 pay periods. this does not include overtime as that is unpredictable.

from glassdoor.com

https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pa...zon Warehouse Worker,can range from $14 - $17.

amazon pays anywhere from 15-17 an hour.
so their pay is as i said right in line with what seattle's pay structure is for a warehouse worker.

All big companies do their pay scale research on what the going rate is for a job. they do not take the outliers like someone pay 25 bucks an hour for warehouse work.
they find the worst, optimal, and best and make their salary ranges based on those averages.

Yes they are i just proved it.

Not sure where you got your links from but they are not correct.

Warehouse Worker Salary in Seattle, WA | Salary.com

How much does a Warehouse Worker make in Seattle, WA? The average Warehouse Worker salary in Seattle, WA is $35,819 as of June 28, 2020, but the range typically falls between $30,710 and $41,033. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. With more online, real-time compensation data than any other website, Salary.com helps you determine your exact pay target.

again we see that they are paying in the salary range for that job.
next time look up all the facts.

yes seattle is an expensive place to live just like most leftist cities are horribly expensive to live. if you want to live there then you are going to have to do more than just put boxes into other boxes.

taxing higher paying jobs just means less higher paying jobs. i swear leftist need to go back to economics class because they simply just didn't take them.

Warehouse Worker Salary in Seattle, WA

From indeed.com the average pay for a warehouse worker is 15 bucks an hour.
now there are companies that pay more than that with experience time and position but
that is the average pay of a warehouse worker in seatle.

that equates out to 31k a year based on getting paid every 2 weeks. 40 hours a week with 26 pay periods. this does not include overtime as that is unpredictable.

from glassdoor.com

https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pa...zon Warehouse Worker,can range from $14 - $17.

amazon pays anywhere from 15-17 an hour.
so their pay is as i said right in line with what seattle's pay structure is for a warehouse worker.

All big companies do their pay scale research on what the going rate is for a job. they do not take the outliers like someone pay 25 bucks an hour for warehouse work.
they find the worst, optimal, and best and make their salary ranges based on those averages.

Yes they are i just proved it.

Not sure where you got your links from but they are not correct.

How much does a Warehouse Worker make in Seattle, WA? The average Warehouse Worker salary in Seattle, WA is $35,819 as of June 28, 2020, but the range typically falls between $30,710 and $41,033. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. With more online, real-time compensation data than any other website, Salary.com helps you determine your exact pay target.

again we see that they are paying in the salary range for that job.
next time look up all the facts.

yes seattle is an expensive place to live just like most leftist cities are horribly expensive to live. if you want to live there then you are going to have to do more than just put boxes into other boxes.

taxing higher paying jobs just means less higher paying jobs. i swear leftist need to go back to economics class because they simply just didn't take them.

Typical ludin misdirection and evasion.

What do you mean “Not sure where you got your links from but they are not correct.”? I gave you a link for the avg of al wh wkrs in Seattle, which is the same link you just used but say is “not correct”:

It gives the avg at $35,819.

I also gave you a link for Amazon in Seattle of 410 salaries at $31,090:

You in this last post of yours slip on it of the same report date but of only FOUR salaries at $34,000.

My figures are more statistically reliable than yours. You don’t know what you’re talking about. Your ND BS is BS. More RW false claims and bad stats. Stick to the point of debate, which you clearly lost. The avg Amazon Seattle WH salary is considerably lower than the overall avg Seattle WH salary. See you on another thread.

Typical ludin misdirection and evasion.

Typical you not reading your entire link. I posted you the entire link.
this is typical of you.

I post facts you try to deny facts sorry doesn't work.

you should read your own actual links you know i did and posted the same links as you.
I even highlighted it for you to read and you still didn't read it.

see folks this is why leftism requires low information people to survive.

Back
Top Bottom