• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Santorum: Obama Agenda Not 'Based on Bible'

Leviticus 20:9 "If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death."

...are these the laws Santorum wants Obama's campaign to be based on?

Couldn't Leviticus 20:9 be considered a religious form of "family planning," without having to resort to the moral "evils" of birth control?

Last edited:
Obama's agenda is "not about you. It's not about your quality of life. It's not about your jobs. It's about some phony ideal. Some phony theology. Oh, not a theology based on the Bible. A different theology," Santorum told supporters of the conservative Tea Party movement at a Columbus hotel.

A different theology? Maybe based on the Koran, rather than the Bible?

Santorum is sounding more and more like a nutjob to me.

Did he really call Romney a "Mormon Wizard"? What is that supposed to mean, anyway?

Fallacy: False Dilemma

Or are you setting up this?

Fallacy: Straw Man

Either way you arent making much of a case.
But then I guess I should expect a lot of left hyperventilation about Santorum, I just wish some of it would be more factual and logical.

that would require alot more self-awareness than I think much of the hyperventilating-crowd have.

so has anyone pointed out to the dancing monkey's that the reason Santorum makes this point is the President's Prayer Breakfast announcement that Jesus Supports Tax Hikes?

Fallacy: False Dilemma

Or are you setting up this?

Fallacy: Straw Man

Either way you arent making much of a case.
But then I guess I should expect a lot of left hyperventilation about Santorum, I just wish some of it would be more factual and logical.

Since Santorum hasn't articulated his position and what aspects of the bible we should base our government on, it's not a strawman at all. It's anyones guess.

Thunder's points (the one you missed) was that bible filled with outdated rules and laws and to base a modern government on scripture would be asinine.

Santorum is an ass and he made a completely asinine statement.

what a fascinating set of claims.

here is the relevant quote from the OP:

Santorum said:
Obama's agenda is "not about you. It's not about your quality of life. It's not about your jobs. It's about some phony ideal. Some phony theology. Oh, not a theology based on the Bible. A different theology," Santorum told supporters of the conservative Tea Party movement at a Columbus hotel.

since he was, in fact, discussing Obama, perhaps you would care the explain precisely where from that you pull "Santorum would like to put into practice ancient Judaic Levitical Codes which even his own faith of Catholicism has rejected as being obsolete."?

:) of course you wouldn't. you people have your narrative, and you're not going to let a pesky little thing like reason or facts get in the way.

The more I think about this, the more I'm curious. What exactly would an "agenda based on the bible" actually be? Rigid adherence to all of the laws and rules within the bible? Executing anyone who works on the Sabbath (which, biblically, would be Saturday)? An unwavering stance that we should turn the other cheek? A nationwide focus on feeding the hungry? All of those are directly commanded by the bible. Does he plan to implement them all? Some of them? How can he pick and choose? What is this mysterious bible agenda?

The more I think about this, the more I'm curious. What exactly would an "agenda based on the bible" actually be? Rigid adherence to all of the laws and rules within the bible? Executing anyone who works on the Sabbath (which, biblically, would be Saturday)? An unwavering stance that we should turn the other cheek? A nationwide focus on feeding the hungry? All of those are directly commanded by the bible. Does he plan to implement them all? Some of them? How can he pick and choose? What is this mysterious bible agenda?

As a chatolic the intepretation of the bible is done by the Pope and the Vatican as I understand did. So for a chatolic a christian agenda would be dictated by the beliefs of the Pope and Vatican. But of course not all chatolics are strict beliefers there are alot of moderates to. Just that Santorum doesn't seem to be a moderate.

Suddenly libs are very concerned over a candidates religion, where was all this concern about Obams religion a few years back?

"Barack Obama belongs to an unabashedly Black African-centered church. Its teachings focus on a “black value” system. It has knowledgeable Americans questioning how Obama’s church (Chicago’s Trinity United Church of Christ) and its pastor, the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, Jr. influence the man who wants to be President of the United States.

Why couldn’t Obama have chosen to be a Methodist, a Pentecostal or a Lutheran? What drew him to a church that many find questionable?

Many Americans attend churches their parents attended. Others choose denominations where they are comfortable with the teachings.

As a whole, the United Church of Christ does not teach black liberation theology. The main Conference of the denomination is responsible for the theological teachings of its churches and the manner in which they are presented.

The nagging question begs to be answered. Why would the top Democrat presidential candidate feel more comfortable attending an Afrocentric church? Obama’s attendance at a church that encourages blacks to separate themselves from the rest of American society must be explained. How can he claim to be able to unite and reach across to all the people in the nation?"

Excerpts from the Trinity United Church of Christ — Black Value System:

We didn't bring it up. Rick did.

Anyone remember the national prayer breakfast? Here are a few quotes from Obama courtesy of WaPo:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...onservatives/2012/02/02/gIQAgy1blQ_story.html
President Obama, speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast, said his policy arguments stem from his interpretation of the Christian faith

“I think to myself, if I’m willing to give something up as somebody who’s been extraordinarily blessed, and give up some of the tax breaks that I enjoy, I actually think that’s going to make economic sense,” Obama told the audience. “But for me, as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus’s teaching that ‘for unto whom much is given, much shall be required.’ ”

I wonder where Santorum would think that faith had anything to do with anything? Cmon, Obama is pitching religion as a reason for his political views and youre surprised when Santorum says different?

Since Santorum hasn't articulated his position and what aspects of the bible we should base our government on, it's not a strawman at all. It's anyones guess.

Thunder's points (the one you missed) was that bible filled with outdated rules and laws and to base a modern government on scripture would be asinine.

Santorum is an ass and he made a completely asinine statement.

Who knows what Santorum meant to say.. maybe he had no idea either.

probably (this might surprise you) a clearer division of what is Caesars' and Gods'. Jesus, after all, was the guy who invented the notion of division of Church and State.

Last edited:
Rick Santorum is a true ultra-rightwing extreme religious zealot - and worst...

He supported maintaining inter-racial marriages being illegal, opposed overturning then-existing criminalization of birth control and contraceptives - and again pushed to make contraceptives illegal, he speaking of ideology as all about "man" (always excluding "women" or using gender neutral such as "people," "humanity etc) as just a few examples...

of what is his stance-in-effect that the Catholic Pope and Grand Master of the KKK would control the American government via him is a reason he lost re-election by 18%!

A sitting US Senator losing re-election by EIGHTEEN PERCENT!
The favorite of Republicans now. THE MOST LOSING REPUBLICAN INCUMBENT IN DECADES! He is EXACTLY why Republican leadership in the past tried to keep evangelicals from taking over the Republican Party. But the Republican Party really now is instead a religious organization.

If Republicans has stayed on economic issues they had a chance. But instead they decided to push their religion.

Last edited:
Liberal lack of integrity on full display, once again.

It'd be nice if, for once, you'd attack what he actually said, instead of what Media Matters or MSNBC told you to say what he said.

It is simple. Whatever the Pope has said it wants to impliment and enforce.

When you add that he is rather openly a racist (wanted to keep inter-racial marriages illegal) and a sexist (issues are about "man"), it paints a pretty ugly picture - when if you add all the other people, religions, views, lifestyles and personal choices he condemns and wants to be able to use government power to punish.

As much as folks would like to argue that Santorum's religious views are separable from his politics, they just aren't. His latest politicoreligious mash up:

Santorum was quoted Saturday as telling an audience in Ohio that although he accepted the president's Christianity, he believed Obama adhered to "some phony theology. Not a theology based on the Bible. A different theology."

Asked about that statement Sunday onCBS'"Face the Nation," Santorum framed the issue as a disagreement over global warming and how "radical environmentalists" care for the Earth.

"I accept the fact that the president's a Christian," he said. "I just said that when you have a worldview that elevates the Earth above man, and says that, you know, we can't take those resources because we're going to harm the Earth by things that frankly are just not scientifically proven, like for example that politicization of the whole global warming debate, this is just all an attempt to centralize power, to give more power to the government."

He added: "I'm talking about the belief that man should be in charge of the Earth and should have dominion over it and should be good stewards of it."

Rick Santorum defends remarks on President Obama's religion - latimes.com

Has it occurred to anyone that not basing current policy on a 2000 year old book might be a good thing?

So its ok for Obama to bring up religion TWICE but Santorum cant respond at all? What kind of ****ed up standard is that?

Liberal lack of integrity on full display, once again.

It'd be nice if, for once, you'd attack what he actually said, instead of what Media Matters or MSNBC told you to say what he said.

Tell us what he actually said.

Defend your position that he has somehow been misrepresented.

since he was, in fact, discussing Obama, perhaps you would care the explain precisely where from that you pull "Santorum would like to put into practice ancient Judaic Levitical Codes which even his own faith of Catholicism has rejected as being obsolete."?

Either you don't know much about the history of the bible and the old testament or you were not aware of Santorum's positions on homosexuality.

Back
Top Bottom