• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia Uses Veto To Block UN Statement Seeking Further North Korean Sanctions

Objective Voice

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
From WorldNews.com:

A United Nations Security Council statement calling for “significant measures” in response to Tuesday’s launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) by North Korea was blocked by Russia on Thursday, Agence FrancePress reported.

The draft statement was a reminder the council had agreed to take “further significant measures” in the event of another nuclear test or missile launch and the top UN body would “begin to work immediately on such measures,” AFP reported.

Russia later explained it blocked the measure arguing there had been no verification the launch involved an intercontinental missile, said a council diplomat, the report said.

The United States and the United Nations have said the Hwasong-14 launched on Tuesday was of intercontinental range, the report said.

The defeated draft statement included a strong condemnation of the launch, AFP reported, setting the stage for a draft resolution on tougher sanctions the United States said it planned to present in the coming days.

Source: https://article.wn.com/view/2017/07/06/Russia_Uses_Veto_To_Block_UN_Statement_Seeking_Further_North/

I only have three things to say about this:

1. Russia has all but boxed the U.S. into a corner effectively tying our hands on dealing with NKor in a bilateral way via the U.N. General Assembly. In short, Putin (Russia) at best has punked Trump (U.S.) and at least just made him his b...:censored.

2. Remember all that tough talk Trump did before he became POTUS where he claimed that the economic sanctions former President's Clinton and Obama imposed on NKor in their efforts to stop them from testing long-range ballistic missiles or getting a nuclear weapon amounted to nothing more than a slap on the risk? Well, look whose trying to impose more economic sanctions on NKor? For all his "Mr. Tough-Guy" bravado, Pres. Trump is trying to do the exact same thing he blasted his Democratic predecessors for doing. Even worse, he's sought the assistance from two other major players on the world stage, i.e., China and Japan, to help put NKor in check.

3. What makes things even worse is Russia and China via the U.N. Security Counsel are now calling on a freeze for NKor to stop all missile testing and for the U.S. and SKor to halt all military drills. (Source: https://article.wn.com/view/2017/07/04/Russia_China_call_for_freeze_on_North_Korea_missile_tests_US/)

Talk about entering the U.N. General Assembly from a weak position! If I didn't fear what the immediate future might hold for our country and the world, I'd be :2rofll: :2funny:.

Last edited:
Trump is protecting the US from neither Russia nor North Korea.

SAD!

From WorldNews.com:

Source: https://article.wn.com/view/2017/07/06/Russia_Uses_Veto_To_Block_UN_Statement_Seeking_Further_North/

1. Russia has all but boxed the U.S. into a corner effectively tying our hands on dealing with NKor in a bilateral way via the U.N. General Assembly. In short, Putin (Russia) at best has punked Trump (U.S.) and at least just made him his b...:censored.

2. Remember all that tough talk Trump did before he became POTUS where he claimed that the economic sanctions former President's Clinton and Obama imposed on NKor in their efforts to stop them from testing long-range ballistic missiles or getting a nuclear weapon amounted to nothing more than a slap on the risk? Well, look whose trying to impose more economic sanctions on NKor? For all his "Mr. Tough-Guy" bravado, Pres. Trump is trying to do the exact same thing he blasted his Democratic predecessors for doing. Even worse, he's sought the assistance from two other major players on the world stage, i.e., China and Japan, to help put NKor in check.

3. What makes things even worse is Russia and China via the U.N. Security Counsel are now calling on a freeze for NKor to stop all missile testing and for the U.S. and SKor to halt all military drills. (Source: https://article.wn.com/view/2017/07/04/Russia_China_call_for_freeze_on_North_Korea_missile_tests_US/)

Talk about entering the U.N. General Assembly from a weak position! If I didn't fear what the immediate future might hold for our country and the world, I'd be :2rofll: :2funny:.

Putin is playing a game of chicken and thinks he can only win. I am not sure that our management crew has the savvy to play yhe hand to our advantage, though, I do think it probably can be.

not too concerned about NK but what about that Putin/Trump 'mandate'?

I thought they were gonna make a TV pilot from that; 'Celebrity Mandate' .............

From WorldNews.com:

Trump is protecting the US from neither Russia nor North Korea.

SAD!

So...how is this President Trump's fault? :lamo

Not a big deal. Remember, sanctions have brought us to this point.

From WorldNews.com:

I'm sad to see you and others allowing your hatred for Trump to guide you all to think Russia vetoing the UN Security Council's resolution for sanctions against the DPRK is roll on the floor side slapping funny - because it only leaves the world with military action as an option.

Yup, that's a huge hoot.

Let me know how much you guys are laughing when the artillery and rockets start raining on Seoul and the nukes explode over US bases in South Korea and Japan.

I'm sad to see you and others allowing your hatred for Trump to guide you all to think Russia vetoing the UN Security Council's resolution for sanctions against the DPRK is roll on the floor side slapping funny - because it only leaves the world with military action as an option.

Yup, that's a huge hoot.

Let me know how much you guys are laughing when the artillery and rockets start raining on Seoul and the nukes explode over US bases in South Korea and Japan.

As long as they can blame President Trump, it's all good.

Come now, apdst. You know if this were Obama getting out-maneuvered at the U.N. you'd be all over it. This is TWICE our "smart, tough" Commander-in-Chief has been out-played by Putin:

1. Syria (no, the Syrian government didn't use chemical weapons); and,

2. North Korea (No, the North Korean government didn't conduct a ballistic missile test).

And each time Pres. Trump has attempted to flex any real muscle (no, bombing a Syrian airbase that for all practical purposes was desolate does not count). Of course, you'll say "Well, at least Trump didn't draw a red line and did nothing" to which I'll respond with "Did Syria launch any more chemical weapons attacks during Obama's watch?"

Fact remains, Obama may have had to eat his words a time or two - I'll grant you that - but he was never out-maneuvered by Russia at the U.N. the way Trump has been.

Yup, that's a huge hoot.

You must've missed the part in my post where I said:

Objective Voice said:
If I didn't fear what the immediate future might hold for our country and the world...

As long as they can blame President Trump, it's all good.

You mean the same way you guys blame Obama for everything? At least in Pres. Trump's case you don't have to work so hard to make up crap to point to his blunders. He does plenty of that all by himself making his embarrassment very apparent for anyone who doesn't wear partisan :notlook:.

He claimed he was the "master negotiator", clearly he isn't. But hey another lie you'll excuse from trump. After all trump said he could shoot someone in the streets and still have his supporters. You are proof of that.

You mean the same way you guys blame Obama for everything? At least in Pres. Trump's case you don't have to work so hard to make up crap to point to his blunders. He does plenty of that all by himself making his embarrassment very apparent for anyone who doesn't wear partisan :notlook:.

How about when you guys held Obama totally blameless?

How about when you guys held Obama totally blameless?

That's a bit of an over exaggeration don't you think? The man made mistakes and many of his supporters - be they liberals or otherwise - acknowledge them, but not following through on a red-line threat isn't the same as being punked at the U.N. At least with the red-line misstep something was ultimately done about it. Time will tell if Pres. Trump ever finds his spin or his balls with those little hands of his to do anything about this snubbing.

That's a bit of an over exaggeration don't you think? The man made mistakes and many of his supporters - be they liberals or otherwise - acknowledge them, but not following through on a red-line threat isn't the same as being punked at the U.N. At least with the red-line misstep something was ultimately done about it. Time will tell if Pres. Trump ever finds his spin or his balls with those little hands of his to do anything about this snubbing.

No...I don't think so. It's absolutely accurate.

From WorldNews.com:

I like how the proposition of war is less important to you than the failure of the US Government and President Trump.

Come now, apdst. You know if this were Obama getting out-maneuvered at the U.N. you'd be all over it. This is TWICE our "smart, tough" Commander-in-Chief has been out-played by Putin:

1. Syria (no, the Syrian government didn't use chemical weapons); and,

2. North Korea (No, the North Korean government didn't conduct a ballistic missile test).

And each time Pres. Trump has attempted to flex any real muscle (no, bombing a Syrian airbase that for all practical purposes was desolate does not count). Of course, you'll say "Well, at least Trump didn't draw a red line and did nothing" to which I'll respond with "Did Syria launch any more chemical weapons attacks during Obama's watch?"

Fact remains, Obama may have had to eat his words a time or two - I'll grant you that - but he was never out-maneuvered by Russia at the U.N. the way Trump has been.

We've got to this point because Obama did nothing for eight years.

I don't think.

We've got to this point because Obama did nothing for eight years.

And before that Bush-43 for 8 years? And before that Clinton for 8 years? And before that Reagan/Bush-41 for 12 years, especially 1989? And before that Carter for 4 years? And before that Nixon/Ford for 8 years? And before that JFK/LBJ for 8 years? And before that Ike for 8 years, especially starting in 1956; too bad NK doesn't have administrative overlap, they could be like U.S.

And, pray tell, would you like him to do on both issues?

What did trump do about NK at the G19 + one ****up?

How about Russia cooperating with trump on their UN veto ?

This behavior by Russia was long foreseeable - we'd been antagonizing Russia for quite some time, so now they're hitting back.

It just goes to show how unbeneficial and contrary to US national interest it is to fruitlessly pursue confrontation with Russia, when we need them in order to deal with vital problems.

All Dems/Libs care about is saying "AHA! RUSSIA!"
But what we're seeing Russia doing today would not be happening if we'd taken a different course with them. Now we're simply reaping what we've sown.

From WorldNews.com:

OTOH pushing a tiger into a corner with increased sanctions may actually backfire. We cut Japan off of their oil supplies and ended up with Pearl Harbor.

I say let him have his nukes but counter that with two things:

1. Assure him he will become a glass parking lot if he fires one off at us.

2. Continue to work on our antiballistic missiles to make them 100 % accurate. We can do it.

There really is no other option beside all out war and 20 million casualties in SK in the first hour.

I believe he wants nukes to protect himself from us even though he's not justified and paranoid. Historicially it's hands off to countries with nukes.

This behavior by Russia was long foreseeable - we'd been antagonizing Russia for quite some time, so now they're hitting back.

It just goes to show how unbeneficial and contrary to US national interest it is to fruitlessly pursue confrontation with Russia, when we need them in order to deal with vital problems.

All Dems/Libs care about is saying "AHA! RUSSIA!"
But what we're seeing Russia doing today would not be happening if we'd taken a different course with them. Now we're simply reaping what we've sown.

You make it sound like Russian had no hand in the animosity. I do see your point though.

Back
Top Bottom