• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ron DeSantis condemned as Florida removes sociology as core college class

Credence

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Florida definitely reminds me of the movie Fahrenheit 458 .... wow

Fri 26 Jan 2024 16.28 GMT

Educators are warning that college enrollment in Florida will plummet after the state removed sociology as a core class from campuses in the latest round of Ron DeSantis’s war on “woke ideology”.

The Republican governor’s hand-picked board of education voted on Wednesday to replace the established course on the principles of sociology at its 12 public universities with its own US history curriculum, incorporating an “historically accurate account of America’s founding [and] the horrors of slavery”.

The board faced a backlash last summer for requiring public schools to teach that forced labor was beneficial to enslaved Black people because it taught them useful skills.

The removal as a required core course of sociology classes, which Florida education commissioner and staunch DeSantis acolyte Manny Díaz insisted without evidence had “been hijacked by leftwing activists,” follows several other recent “anti-woke” moves in education in Florida.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/26/florida-sociology-classes-ron-desantis-condemned

'woke'.. Everybody drink.... If I lived in Florida Id be a fall down, raging drunk... Lol

How does this sort of stuff not scare the hell out of people? The govt is now rewriting history to suit it's political agenda. When this sort of stuff has happened in the past, how does it usually end up??? I'm just thankful that RdS is such an obvious snake that he couldn't get serious support for his presidential run.

Pretty soon, the only things taught in FL schools will be home ec, serving your husband, and football. Anyway...

How long until the first moron shows up to start ranting about "woke"?

Educators are warning that college enrollment in Florida will plummet after the state removed sociology as a core class from campuses in the latest round of Ron DeSantis’s war on “woke ideology”.

The Republican governor’s hand-picked board of education voted on Wednesday to replace the established course on the principles of sociology at its 12 public universities with its own US history curriculum, incorporating an “historically accurate account of America’s founding [and] the horrors of slavery”.

The board faced a backlash last summer for requiring public schools to teach that forced labor was beneficial to enslaved Black people because it taught them useful skills.

The removal as a required core course of sociology classes, which Florida education commissioner and staunch DeSantis acolyte Manny Díaz insisted without evidence had “been hijacked by leftwing activists,” follows several other recent “anti-woke” moves in education in Florida.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/26/florida-sociology-classes-ron-desantis-condemned

The ****ing hell is that MAGAt doing to Florida?? ****ing it up, that's what.

I first read the thread title as "Scientology", and I was like, Go Ron...

But there are no surprises left in Ron at this point.

to replace the established course on the principles of sociology at its 12 public universities with its own US history curriculum, incorporating an “historically accurate account of America’s founding [and] the horrors of slavery”.

I'd pay good money to see the syllabus for this history course.

Eventually, they are going to cross an accreditation threshold. That will effectively limit the value of any degree earned in Florida public universities. Good luck getting into grad school, med school, law school, sitting for licensure, etc.

Florida really is just a joke at this point
It is, which really is a shame. Florida is a beautiful state. Believe it or not it also has above average social safety net benefits (and I'm not talking about for old retired boomers). It has above average infrastructure. They started building a high speed rail to connect Tampa, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami. The weather is awesome. The wildlife is awesome. There are really cool things to see and do like the Kennedy Space Center, rocket launches, Bok Tower (one of my favorite places in the entire country), Disney I guess if that's your thing, surfing, the keys, etc etc etc.

But no, Republicans had to turn it into the cartoon circus state 🤪

Good for Desantis. Universities should not be indoctrination camps

And you think the entire field of sociology is just indoctrination?

He said "ENTIRE". The entire field is not indoctrination
So just those classes that are part of the core curriculum?

(Which, btw, would likely be prerequisites for more advanced sociology classes which may or may not be indoctrination, according to you)

There is a thing called "accreditation" in which a university and each department is evaluated on the quality of the the courses they offer. These national accreditation boards, made of of scholars from across the nation and spanning multitudes of academic disciplines, determine if a particular school meets the rigorous accepted standards established. If not, there is first a probationary period where the school has an opportunity to get their shit together and correct any shortcomings noted. Failing this, the school's accreditation is revoked and the reputation of the school is severely tarnished in academia. Further, graduates who wish to pursue further credentials, such as med school or law may find themselves at a significant competitive disadvantage or even disqualification if they came from a non-accredited institution.

The GOP’s war on public education continues. Even kids get ideas outside of schools all the time.

Then keep the hands of politicians the hell off of universities. Every time the government tries to involve itself in education content indoctrination is the result.

The ****ing hell is that MAGAt doing to Florida?? ****ing it up, that's what.
It ain't like they've been keeping it a secret. Prevent Florida voting majority from becoming educated enough to the extent they
vote in their own best interests as the better educated state voting majorities (coincidentally not G.O.P. governed on the state level)
routinely do.

Then keep the hands of politicians the hell off of universities. Every time the government tries to involve itself in education content indoctrination is the result.

Contempt expressed for the state he has accepted DeSantis's "assignment" to "dumb down," as if it were even possible?

The Chronicle of Higher Education
https://www.chronicle.com › article › ben-sasses-contr...

Nov 10, 2022 — Ben Sasse is elected next president of the University of Florida on Tuesday, November 1. U. of Florida. Ben Sasse. T here are plenty of goodies ...

It's Ben Sasse's first day as UF president. Here's what he's ...​

Tampa Bay Times
https://www.tampabay.com › education › 2023/02/06

Feb 6, 2023 — After a contentious selection process this past fall, former U.S. Senator Ben Sasse began his new job as the University of Florida's 13th ...

Attachments

• 1706640198151.png
    1706640198151.png
    876 bytes · Views: 0
Well. As a business manager of one store and an owner of another, this news has made me come to a decision when hiring new employees.

In my businesses, certain courses have little or no bearing on what my businesses do and provide. But the fact that a number of red states are putting way too much emphasis on their self appointed war on so-called “wokeness”…that negatively impacts other aspects of education through funding cuts and general disregard for overall education anyway…

Anyone who wants to work for me…and comes from, or attends secondary schools and colleges in states like Florida…will not get considered over others who attended a better education systems with decent grades. In other words, a high school dropout will get preferred status over someone with a degree from Florida or similar such state.

And if someone from a state who are plying these woke games manages to be considered for employment, will have to pass a test for reading comprehension, writing skills and basic mathematics in order to get hired. It shouldn’t be hard, but I want to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom