• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican Karen Handel Wins Georgia House Special Election

After another recent special election that also went to the Repub candidate, it was actually argued that a close race within a certain percentage point margin was really a Dem victory. If losing elections is indeed the new definition of "winning" for Dems then I wish them many more such victories. :mrgreen:

It does appear that they are now claiming victory after a defeat.

No we werent. You said in post #236 nonsense about the government controlling 1/6 of the economy. No mention of single payer (which is a good idea.)
Maybe you should read the post i was responding to that claimed single payer is a moderate position.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Sorry, I need to post this...

CNN's pouting again..

Dems pouty.jpg

Don Lemon's take on the election results..

:lamo No dip****, the Democrats just spent 22 million to come in second place and are 0 - 4 now, but thats not news. Russian tin hat collusion conspiracy theories ?? Breaking news

Sure....

Germany Votes To Abandon Most Green Energy Subsidies
Germany Votes To Abandon Most Green Energy Subsidies | The Daily Caller

Germany is the cautionary tale when it comes to Govt pushing inferior ideologically driven technology onto their people. Renewable energy is highly subsidized by both the Govt ( tax payer ) and the consumer and now the cost of these technologies have come to a head.

I dont want to copy Germanys example, who would, but many on the Left do. That is they want the average consumer paying 3 x more per Kwh than the elctricity is actually worth
I know the renewable lobby in this country is full of ****, especially when they start to compare fossil fuels to solar and wind ? How ? I live in a large heavily populated city and solar just isnt here. Its not on Houses, its not powering commercial properties ( it cant ) and its sunny year around here. The average home in my neighborhood needs 25 - 35 Kw of power to run all appliances and airconditioning.

Commercial buildings need mulitples of that, and sure some may have solar cells on their car ports but theyre just powering up the parking lot lights if even that. We have local solar companies that go door to door trying to sell solar set ups and there's no takers, especially when you can buy electricity at less than 6 cents a Kwh.

As a technology it cant stand on its own merits, and has to be heavily subsudized. Its inferior, expensive and consumers at least in my town arent buying into it
When I was in law school we had an expert attorney tell us about this alternative energy, he called the fields of windmills "tax farms". Spain for a time was the world's leader in solar energy, then the government discovered most solar energy producers were simply buying conventional electricity and selling it back to the state-run electric company at solar power rates (they were much higher to incentivize production), the government ended all these subsidies and they aren't building all those solar panels any more.

I expect technology will advance and renewables may eventually become profitable, at the moment nothing beats oil, but ecofreaks tell us we aren't accounting for the costs of the environmental degradation they associate with those ugly "fossil fuels".

What the Democrats need is a positive message. Their strategy seems to be more focused on getting people to vote against Republicans rather than for them.

Bernie Sanders actually put forth a positive message. I disagreed with it but at least he stood FOR something.

I can only believe that you paid no attention whatsoever to the political advertisements between Ossoff and Handel based on the stupidity of your post.

You tell them "we got close". Next time we can get a little closer.
Lets see how thats working out

Oops its not

https://m.townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2017/06/21/rnc-vs-dnc-may-fundraising-n2344387

The story at the Democratic National Committee was not so rosy. They had their worst fundraising since 2003, raking in just $4.29 million.

Their lackluster fundraising is becoming a trend. In fact, April’s haul was so paltry that NBC’s Hallie Jackson even*demanded answers*from new DNC Chair Tom Perez, who deferred blame.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That's ridiculous. The Democrats haven't been that party for some time. They're the party of wealthy urban elites, those who want to be wealthy urban elites, and grievance minorities. Their contempt for, and sneering at, "average Americans" has been growing more and more open over the last couple of decades.

I suppose you don't consider that your growing contempt for them might have some influence on that?

When the normal spread is 20% or better for the Republicans, coming within 5% in a traditionally Republican seat is certainly a gain, and to some a win that they came so close.

Wait, you maybe think losing 15% of the vote is nothing to worry about. That would be typical Twitthead thinking

I don't have a Twitter account, I'm not a twit, and you don't know what I think. I'm not sure what in the Vespa article quote inspired you here, but you should be more careful in your phrasing and categorizing.

When the normal spread is 20% or better for the Republicans, coming within 5% in a traditionally Republican seat is certainly a gain, and to some a win that they came so close.

Wait, you maybe think losing 15% of the vote is nothing to worry about. That would be typical Twitthead thinking

You might have had a point except for one thing.
A newbie was running.
Tom Price wasn't running.
If Tom Price had this year by only 5% you might have a reasonable point but the circumstances don't allow it.
You sound very bitter. Were you counting on a different outcome?

Well from now on just know that I dont literally mean " all " when I refer to Leftist and Democrats. My Family is comprised of college eduacted University Liberals and I even have a Uncle who teaches at Berkely So Cal. I love them all dearly even though they're Liberals. They know I'm a Conservative and we decided a long time ago to not to discuss Politics, because I wasnt going to change their minds and vice versa.

Who picked Ossoff ? Who knows, but he didnt even live in the district, is a new comer to Politics, and just so happened to be a young charasmatic millenial. I dont think thats all a coincidence, but either way the Dems threw everything they had at this election.

Your above response came across as much more reasonable. Thank you very much! I have lacked the curiosity to research how Ossoff emerged as the most bankable DEM in that race. I speculate he has big time contacts within wealthy Atlanta-based DEM circles, some of whom have contacts with MoveOn and the DNC.

As for my lean and any influence to affect political outcome, I know better than to take myself serious. I vote consistently, debate online, have had the occasional letter published by my local newspaper and occasionally have helped with campaigns. Florida, my home state, vacillates between Blue and Red.... with a very reddish tint currently.

You know, I'm getting tired of all the winning! LOL

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You know, I'm getting tired of all the winning! LOL

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Did your GOP candidate win in VA gubernatorial primary ?

And he doesn't even live in the district so he is a carpetbagger to boot.

How many current GOP congressmen are 'carpetbaggers'?

Which of the two candidates 'was born and raised in the 6th' versus 'being born and raised as an elitist' in DC?

Why does Ossoff live a short distance from the 6th?

Which party scurrilously used the Scalise shooting in an ad ?

When I was in law school we had an expert attorney tell us about this alternative energy, he called the fields of windmills "tax farms". Spain for a time was the world's leader in solar energy, then the government discovered most solar energy producers were simply buying conventional electricity and selling it back to the state-run electric company at solar power rates (they were much higher to incentivize production), the government ended all these subsidies and they aren't building all those solar panels any more.

I expect technology will advance and renewables may eventually become profitable, at the moment nothing beats oil, but ecofreaks tell us we aren't accounting for the costs of the environmental degradation they associate with those ugly "fossil fuels".

Ive got nothing against new technologies, but I also know solar and wind are only feasible currently thanks to huge subsidies. If it cant stand and compete on its own merits, then its not ready, and I dont want a Govt pushing it down my throat either.

Solar and wind arent sold on their merits, their sold under the pretense that if we dont switch over we're effectively killing the earth for future generations.

How many current GOP congressmen are 'carpetbaggers'?

Which of the two candidates 'was born and raised in the 6th' versus 'being born and raised as an elitist' in DC?

Why does Ossoff live a short distance from the 6th?

Which party scurrilously used the Scalise shooting in an ad ?

Check your crystal ball, you said it had all the answers before the election.

Check your crystal ball, you said it had all the answers before the election.

Your post had zero to do with what you quoted, OpportunityCost. Do quite what you said I said or withdraw your lie .

Republican Karen Handel wins Georgia House special election

Republican Karen Handel wins Georgia House special election - CNNPolitics.com

" Atlanta (CNN)Republican Karen Handel defeated Democrat Jon Ossoff in a high-stakes special election for a Georgia House seat on Tuesday, denying Democrats their first major victory of the Donald Trump era.

Handel bested Ossoff by 5 percentage points in the most expensive House race in history.
It was a much closer margin than the 20-plus point wins typically posted by former Rep. Tom Price -- whose departure to become Trump's health and human services secretary created the vacancy.
But it wasn't what Democrats who pumped $23 million into Ossoff's campaign so desperately craved: A win."

An uninspiring status quo establishment Democrat willingly and concretely tied to an incredibly unpopular and damaged Nancy Pelosi lost.

Shocker!

An uninspiring status quo establishment Democrat willingly and concretely tied to an incredibly unpopular and damaged Nancy Pelosi lost.

Shocker!

The Democrats didnt spend 23 million dollars to come in second and yes, it did come as a shock to many on the Left.

The Dems threw everything they had at this special election and came up short. They wanted a win and desperately needed a win to shore their anti-Trump narrative

The Democrats didnt spend 23 million dollars to come in second and yes, it did come as a shock to many on the Left.

The Dems threw everything they had at this special election and came up short. They wanted a win and desperately needed a win to shore their anti-Trump narrative

Any reason why Handel wouldn't mention trump's name or discuss trump's wealthcare ?

Any reason why Handel wouldn't mention trump's name or discuss trump's wealthcare ?

That, I heard was because the Chamber of Commerce, who donated heavily to her campaign wanted her to distance herself from Trump, and apparently she complied.
You can make a argument either way, that if she embraced Trump she could have widened her victory or caused her to lose, but she won so its a moot point now.

It shouldn't, especially given what happened with Hillary.

Doesn't matter, if Trump runs again in 2020 he will lose.

Doesn't matter, if Trump runs again in 2020 he will lose.

Thats the spirit, stay optimistic in the face of repeated election losses.

Back
Top Bottom