• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prosecutors Say They Are Ready to Sentence Michael Flynn, Trump’s Ex-National Security Adviser

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Prosecutors said Monday they are ready for a federal judge to sentence President Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, in a sign that special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation is moving closer to the finish line.

In a joint filing with Mr. Flynn’s lawyers, Mr. Mueller’s office asked a federal judge in Washington, D.C., to schedule Mr. Flynn’s sentencing for Nov. 28 or in the following seven business days, meaning Mr. Flynn’s punishment wouldn’t be announced until after the midterm elections on Nov. 6.

In the filing, prosecutors and Mr. Flynn’s lawyers asked the judge to make them file sentencing memos no more than two weeks before the sentencing. That request would also mean Mr. Mueller’s office wouldn’t publicly detail how Mr. Flynn helped its investigation until after the November elections.

Source: (WSJ) Prosecutors Say They Are Ready to Sentence Michael Flynn, Trump’s Ex-National Security Adviser

My two (indefinitive) takeaways:

1] It looks like Mueller's investigation is indeed closing more chapters. But are there many more? Your guess is as good as mine!

2] Both sides have agreed to postpone sentencing and related public documents, until after the mid-terms. Is Mueller being magnanimous, or adhering to DOJ guidelines? Or is he holding a weak hand? Again, your guess is as good as mine!

It certainly looks like he's adhering to DOJ guidelines.

Trump, meanwhile, doesn't feel so constrained. He's just declassified key portions of the investigation into himself for political purposes.

Withholding the informing of the public for election purposes seems like a precursor of evil to me. When did this kind of crap become policy and whose idea was it? I mean, I know it predates this admin. How long have we been playing three card monty with information release?

And now we have selective releasing of sources and methods. Nunes and Putin continue to win.

Source: (WSJ) Prosecutors Say They Are Ready to Sentence Michael Flynn, Trump’s Ex-National Security Adviser

1] It looks like Mueller's investigation is indeed closing more chapters. But are there many more? Your guess is as good as mine!

2] Both sides have agreed to postpone sentencing and related public documents, until after the mid-terms. Is Mueller being magnanimous, or adhering to DOJ guidelines? Or is he holding a weak hand? Again, your guess is as good as mine!

McConnell withheld releasing a bi-partisan report on Russian interference in our elections September 2016. Republicans knew then, just as they know now, an epic coverup.

Withholding the informing of the public for election purposes seems like a precursor of evil to me. When did this kind of crap become policy and whose idea was it? I mean, I know it predates this admin. How long have we been playing three card monty with information release?

Likely by mutual agreement so that crooked incumbent politicians can be replaced by governors with those of the 'correct' party more often. Otherwise, those incumbent crooks holding elective office in a 'red' or 'blue' state might get bumped in an election by their opposite party challenger.

Likely by mutual agreement so that crooked incumbent politicians can be replaced by governors with those of the 'correct' party more often. Otherwise, those incumbent crooks holding elective office in a 'red' or 'blue' state might get bumped in an election by their opposite party challenger.

I get the higher view that we want to prevent election-timed releases by avoiding it all together, but it feels manipulative.

It certainly looks like he's adhering to DOJ guidelines.

Trump, meanwhile, doesn't feel so constrained. He's just declassified key portions of the investigation into himself for political purposes.
That's my guess, too.

If anything, Mueller has been the epitome of cool, calm, professionalism.

but wasn't that the essence of the left wing slam at Comey, that he re-opened the closed hillary email investigation days before the election
she has since insisted that was the difference in the outcome

while i defended Comey then and do so now, that brief time corridor prior to election does seem a well intended practice

but wasn't that the essence of the left wing slam at Comey, that he re-opened the closed hillary email investigation days before the election

while i defended Comey then and do so now, that brief time corridor prior to election does seem a well intended practice

Who is it that is up for election in November that needs this protection? In 2016, it was Clinton and Trump but neither is up now and I can find nobody on the ballot up for election who Mueller is investigating.

The difference is that there wasn't even anything substantive to announce. All he was doing was looking into another computer that didn't even belong to Clinton, and he used that to publicly announce that he was re-opening the investigation into her. That's a bit different than announcing that he was indicting her on specific crime, or sentencing her for a crime she was convicted of.

Some chapters yes, more to come and in particular after the mid terms. Though no DOJ rules that prevents Mueller from laying Felony charges as Trump is not on the ballot. Though he may wait. That said more Felonies are coming down the drain

The conviction of Flynn -- plus the coming sentencing -- on criminal charges in a court of law means Flynn needs to lose his three stars. Under the UCMJ Flynn needs to lose his rank as a lieutenant general, its privileges, all benefits.

Yet this will not occur however because the CinC whose duty and responsibility it is in this is Donald Trump. Trump's failure to discipline Flynn properly under the UCMJ is tantamount to a pardon by default. It is especially egregious given Flynn was national security adviser. National security adviser in Putin's back pocket. Next to Putin's wallet.

The only possible reason for CinC not to bust Flynn is if it were a part of the plea agreement. We don't know however. And we have every reason to suspect Trump protects Flynn as much as he can.

Who is it that is up for election in November that needs this protection? In 2016, it was Clinton and Trump but neither is up now and I can find nobody on the ballot up for election who Mueller is investigating.

i would find the timing highly suspect of the tejas attorney general now came after Beto, as a singular example

The difference is that there wasn't even anything substantive to announce. All he was doing was looking into another computer that didn't even belong to Clinton, and he used that to publicly announce that he was re-opening the investigation into her. That's a bit different than announcing that he was indicting her on specific crime, or sentencing her for a crime she was convicted of.

actually, Comey did not announce it but knew the congressmen who received his letter reopening the investigation would
and this was a unique instance in which he had previously notified congress the case was closed but that they would be notified if that changed. and it did and they were

i would find the timing highly suspect of the tejas attorney general now came after Beto, as a singular example

Yes, I agree with you and that is an excellent example as O'Rourke is on the ballot and up for election.

But who is up for election that prevents any continuing developments by the Mueller probe between now and November such as indictments or sentencing of others NOT on the ballot and NOT up for election?

For example, lets say the Grand Jury indicts Trump Jr. three weeks from now. So what? Trump Jr is not up for election so the Justice department policy is not violated.

actually, Comey did not announce it but knew the congressmen who received his letter reopening the investigation would
and this was a unique instance in which he had previously notified congress the case was closed but that they would be notified if that changed. and it did and they were

Handing a letter announcing the re-opening of an investigation into Clinton to a Republican = announcing it to the public.

Some chapters yes, more to come and in particular after the mid terms. Though no DOJ rules that prevents Mueller from laying Felony charges as Trump is not on the ballot. Though he may wait. That said more Felonies are coming down the drain
I have little doubt.

Yes, I agree with you and that is an excellent example as O'Rourke is on the ballot and up for election.

But who is up for election that prevents any continuing developments by the Mueller probe between now and November such as indictments or sentencing of others NOT on the ballot and NOT up for election?

For example, lets say the Grand Jury indicts Trump Jr. three weeks from now. So what? Trump Jr is not up for election so the Justice department policy is not violated.

i will defer your question to one Robert Mueller

i will defer your question to one Robert Mueller

C'mon my friend, all this time I was hoping you were my lifeline direct to the investigation. ;)

I do hope you see my point, If somebody is not on the ballot like Flynn, why does Mueller need to refrain from indicting them or sentencing them during this period?

C'mon my friend, all this time I was hoping you were my lifeline direct to the investigation. ;)

I do hope you see my point, If somebody is not on the ballot like Flynn, why does Mueller need to refrain from indicting them or sentencing them during this period?

in my opinion, it chills the election process

not unlike law enforcement making a disproportionate number of arrests and indictments in october, immediately prior to every election. it gives the appearance of strong law enforcement by the incumbents. again, my opinion, it should not be done. but it often is

in my opinion, it chills the election process

not unlike law enforcement making a disproportionate number of arrests and indictments in october, immediately prior to every election. it gives the appearance of strong law enforcement by the incumbents. again, my opinion, it should not be done. but it often is

I can understand your personal opinion on that issue. Having said that, I see no Justice Department policy that prevents Mueller and/or the Grand Jury from taking any actions during this period of persons NOT up for election.

And now we have selective releasing of sources and methods. Nunes and Putin continue to win.

Seemingly the first rule of the Trump administration: Putin always wins.

Flynn's statement

"After over 33 years of military service to our country, including nearly five years in combat away from my family, and then my decision to continue to serve the United States, it has been extraordinarily painful to endure these many months of false accusations of 'treason' and other outrageous acts," Flynn wrote in the Friday morning statement. "Such false accusations are contrary to everything I have ever done and stood for."
"But I recognize that the actions I acknowledged in court today were wrong, and, through my faith in God, I am working to set things right," he continued. "My guilty plea and agreement to cooperate with the Special Counsel's Office reflect a decision I made in the best interests of my family and of our country. I accept full responsibility for my actions."

He was let go for lying about the content of his conversations with Russians to VP Pence.

Will Flynn get 14 days like Papadopolous?

I'd say this investigation of Trump is well over and the Democrats well know it. And I think the documents that are about to be released are going to show there was no there there from the beginning to even justify appointing Mueller. Even the testimony given by Lisa Page admitted at the time of the appointment of Mueller there was still no evidence that the Trump campaign was colluding with the Russians.

It is time we the people learn what exactly was going on in Obama's politicalized administration. And I believe when the American people learn how our media who is suppose to be the watchdog on our government played a big roll in pushing what they knew to be a false narrative are going to be stunned. And that should scare anyone regardless of party.

Seemingly the first rule of the Trump administration: Putin always wins.

Overseas is the true Putin mess we’re in, as we just saw with the joint China/Russia war games. Putin owns Syria and now owns Erdogan in Turkey. Helsinki mess; still.

Now outing our sources and methods; allies won’t speak to us anymore; selectively leaking sources and methods; Putin has split the EU along with its rise in White Nationalist Fervor.

We’ll see how the many proxy wars play out, such as in Yemen and Syria; if Israel and India remain tight, with the Saudis their new buffer.

Cyber grid; electrical grid; microwave attacks; new age Russian weapons; military grade nerve agents;

confirmed breaking into our elections at the state and federal level; I just hope and pray that our Generals have this.

Back
Top Bottom